Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 03-05-2009, 01:09 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maclin is the only receiver besides Crabtree that I would use our first on if they were there and there's no way in hell they would be. DHB scares me after the Chad Jackson experience. Granted, DHB is a much more explosive than Jackson ever was in college, but still. Inconsistent speed receivers are going to scare me for a bit. Wouldn't mind landing Britt with one of our second rounders. I think he could be exactly what we need to make our offense go off again. He probably won't be there though and there's bigger needs we have besides receiver.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Maclin is the only receiver besides Crabtree that I would use our first on if they were there and there's no way in hell they would be. DHB scares me after the Chad Jackson experience. Granted, DHB is a much more explosive than Jackson ever was in college, but still. Inconsistent speed receivers are going to scare me for a bit. Wouldn't mind landing Britt with one of our second rounders. I think he could be exactly what we need to make our offense go off again. He probably won't be there though and there's bigger needs we have besides receiver.

I think people are missing the boat on what Harvin could bring to this team. You could use him as one of your 3 receivers, the wildcat and returning kicks. It was really hard to get a total read on him at Florida based on having a weak armed QB to throw to him.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:19 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a gut feeling the WR targeted will be Robiskie. Good size, did better than expected at the combine, football family & the resulting solid "football IQ" . . .

This kid screams Patriot material. Honestly, I think I'd be happy with it despite his alma mater. ;)

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:13 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I think people are missing the boat on what Harvin could bring to this team. You could use him as one of your 3 receivers, the wildcat and returning kicks. It was really hard to get a total read on him at Florida based on having a weak armed QB to throw to him.
I think people are giving Harvin a bit of a pass on not having a true position. He's a playmaker, there's no doubt about that, but I'm weary of any guy that lacks a true position as he does. He's more of a receiver than a runningback and is improving in that area, but I don't know. Give me a Britt type over Harvin any day. There's injury concern with him as well. As far as the wildcat goes, I don't think we'll be running it anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
I have a gut feeling the WR targeted will be Robiskie. Good size, did better than expected at the combine, football family & the resulting solid "football IQ" . . .

This kid screams Patriot material. Honestly, I think I'd be happy with it despite his alma mater. ;)
Plus he has the added benefit of being able to be had for a third round pick, most likely. I would be all over it if we could get him.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-05-2009, 03:29 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Exactly what I was thinking on Robiskie - 3rd round +/- a few picks. About the only thing that would shock me would be NE picking a player with all their picks.

I'm thinking a trade down - something along the lines of 47 & a 4th for a 3rd and 2010 2nd. Use the higher 3rd on Robiskie, add plenty of talent this year and come out with an extra 2nd in 2010.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
DHB is a far different animal than Chad Jackson. Just look at their yards per reception (one of the most telling statst for college-to-NFL receivers). DHB is a beast. At worst, he's Kelley Washington who can return kicks, minus the inability to get on the field due to attitude/off-field problems (which is why Washington isn't a top tier WR right now). I don't see him available to the Pats unless they trade into the Top 15 though... I could see DHB going to Oakland if things fell the right way...
________
How to roll blunts

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:04 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:21 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
DHB is a far different animal than Chad Jackson. Just look at their yards per reception (one of the most telling statst for college-to-NFL receivers). DHB is a beast. At worst, he's Kelley Washington who can return kicks, minus the inability to get on the field due to attitude/off-field problems (which is why Washington isn't a top tier WR right now). I don't see him available to the Pats unless they trade into the Top 15 though... I could see DHB going to Oakland if things fell the right way...
I'm a massive fan. It's hard to forget the way he torched Miami a couple years back. I lucked into watching that game and the sheer display of speed was absolutely incredible. The problem is he is raw as hell. I'm not saying he isn't a massive talent and far more talented than the Jackson/Bethel Johnson experiments, but for whatever reason we don't have a good history of bringing raw receivers up. Hell, we haven't had any success with drafting at that position ever hardly. I think both the Patriots and DHB(Harvin as well) would be better served ending up with some one else.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-05-2009, 05:58 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

We just signed Springs. I'm ok with it depending on what the cost is. I really don't want to see us miss out on a safety or a younger corner because we overpaid for Springs for half a season.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-05-2009, 06:14 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am happy with the Springs signing. The Greg Lewis trade confuses me a little, we didn't give much up for him but still...

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:16 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I am happy with the Springs signing. The Greg Lewis trade confuses me a little, we didn't give much up for him but still...
I thought it was curious as well. The staff must like him.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-05-2009, 06:26 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I thought it was curious as well. The staff must like him.
Yeah I trust the staff but Greg Lewis? That shocked me.

I am really disappointed that we lost Heath Evans to the Saints, he was a great team player for us. We may need to look at a FB now. That guy out of Syracuse looks to be in the Evans mold, I wouldn't mind us looking at a guy like him. Another guy who I like a lot is Ole Miss FB Jason Cook, BJGE's old lead blocker. He is a smart guy with some of potential as a FB.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:46 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

It's sad to see Heath go. He was a real good fullback for us. Fullback is a need for us on the second day now. I would love to get Quinn Johnson if he were around for us.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-05-2009, 08:42 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Love the Springs signing.
Still don't know 'bout the G.Lewis trade as well.
He's a solid guy. Made big plays for the Eagles.
*shrugs*

I'll miss Evans as well. I've always liked that guy.

fyi... unless the Cowboys resigned Austion- He's a UFA.
... and a 2nd rounder for him???? I'd say hell no to that too

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:52 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
fyi... unless the Cowboys resigned Austion- He's a UFA.
... and a 2nd rounder for him???? I'd say hell no to that too
I'm pretty sure he signed an offer sheet recently.

Yup, here's the link.
http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/player....news&nid=55752

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-05-2009, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Greg Lewis it is then.
We better still draft a WR in the 2nd

Old 03-05-2009, 09:17 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah the greg lewis signing unfortunately takes the patriots out of the running for selecting a WR with our first few picks. Sean Springs is a good signing, but we now NEED more than anything else, a safety. With this recent signings, I am not sure where the patriots will go in the draft. no idea, but safety better be covered

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:08 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
yeah the greg lewis signing unfortunately takes the patriots out of the running for selecting a WR with our first few picks. Sean Springs is a good signing, but we now NEED more than anything else, a safety. With this recent signings, I am not sure where the patriots will go in the draft. no idea, but safety better be covered
I don't think any of this changes our draft plans at all. I'm expecting us to pick a receiver in the second round at this point with the talent available at the position this year and the extra second rounder from KC. I was against it before the trade, but if Kenny Britt or Hakeem Nicks is there at our second I would be all for it. Not quite the Harvin guy that a lot of the people here seem to be, but yeah.

Safety is a big need and I was really hoping we made a move to get a younger safety over Springs. I'll be sad if we miss out on Sean Smith because of Springs. I could still see us passing on a safety entirely now given the fact Sanders is back with the team. Not near as big of a hole as it was before. Still, Sanders certainly isn't an impact playing and adding someone to fill the shoes of Rodney Harrison would be nice. A Chip Vaughn type in the third would fit the bill if we decided the value for other positions were greater with the second rounders. Wouldn't be disappointed if we went Britt/BPA at Corner/Meredith or Loadholt with the seconds and drafted one of the second tier safeties in the third to compete with Sanders.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-06-2009, 08:39 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

The Pats site has the trade listed as undisclosed draft picks for 2009/2010. Are there any reports on what 09 pick we gave up and what 2010 pick we get back?

Makes little sense to me, but if it is late round picks I suppose it makes no difference.

Springs sounds about right to me. I still think CB will not be a high priority but, as always, NE will likely go BPA.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:46 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
The Pats site has the trade listed as undisclosed draft picks for 2009/2010. Are there any reports on what 09 pick we gave up and what 2010 pick we get back?
I think we gave up a 5th. Don't know what else we got back.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-06-2009, 08:48 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Ok. A 5th - and probably 2010 6th or 7th in return - for a KR/special teams guy . . . w/e lol

Old 03-06-2009, 08:49 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Ok. A 5th - and probably 2010 6th or 7th in return - for a KR/special teams guy . . . w/e lol
Doesn't make much sense to me either considering that 5th rounder would have been perfect to pickup a fullback. I guess it does just get filed under whatever haha.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-06-2009, 10:24 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Greg Lewis is a great deep threat, which is what the Pats needed. Dude gets down field in a hurry and is often forgotten. Getting him and a 2010 pick for a 2009 pick sounds solid. It doesn't take them out of the running to select a WR, though. Just gets them a piece they really needed.

Signing Springs was huge. I like both Wilhite and Wheatley, but the Pats really needed to add a proven veteran like Springs (or McAlister) who's been around and done some things (and can still play).

Retaining James Sanders was also huge. While he's been dissappointing relative to what his potential was/is perceived to be, he's still possibly better than anyone in this draft and could be better than any available FA's...

Losing Evans sucks. Doesn't mean they need a FB, though...they use Hochstein for the rare amount of lead blocking they employ anyway...just means they need to fill another big hole on special teams. Izzo, Evans, and Washington were their best ST players, and they might lose all 3 of them.
________
How to roll a joint

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:04 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:59 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Retaining James Sanders was also huge. While he's been dissappointing relative to what his potential was/is perceived to be, he's still possibly better than anyone in this draft and could be better than any available FA's...
I agree that bringing Sanders back was a good move, but I think William Moore, Rashad Johnson, and really any number of the second round safeties you want to throw out there could be both potentially better and better right away. Sanders is decent, but we could still use an upgrade. Makes so it isn't a glaring hole though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-06-2009, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Did we trade our 47th pick to the Dolphins?
I'm seeing the Dolphins pickin in that spot in recent mock drafts

????

Old 03-07-2009, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nevermind. I figured it out