Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 03-11-2009, 02:04 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Holt can still play. Problem is, he won't come cheap. St. Louis is just cleaning house completely right now. If you're old, you're out.
________
SportyBody

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:06 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:59 PM    (permalink
cdf_2108
Rookie

cdf_2108 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

if we could get him cheap, marvin harrison would be a huge upgrade over jabar 'big-time' gaffney. a 1 year 2.25 million contract like bodden seems right.

i agree that torry holt has much more in the tank and will probably command a pricey 3 yr deal like Randy Moss got, and so we have no chance.

Unlikely we get Boldin, would probably have to trade one of our 2nds and sign him to a huge deal that we dont have cap room for although I agree, it would be a dream come true...boldin and moss but it wouldn't last long anyway. boldin is a physical receiver who's game will suffer more to age and moss is already 34.
cdf_2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:41 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't want any part in Harrison. He's washed up. The offense they have in Peyton Manning made him look a bit better the past few years.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:43 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^ Exactly. If Marvin looked that bad with Peyton throwing him the ball you know he's done.

Even if Holt has something left I would rather see a WR drafted to add some youth at the position. Any WR brought in is only going to get ~40 passes with Moss & Welker in the mix anyway, which would be a great scenario for a rookie.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Last edited by FlyingElvis : 03-12-2009 at 08:47 AM. Reason: haven't finished my coffee and my post reflected that fact. :)
FlyingElvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:33 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's not to say Tom Brady wouldn't make him look similarly good....just not worth it. We could get the same production for a lot cheaper. We need to get younger at the position anyway.

If we had our choice of anyone in the draft, I think Maclin would be perfect for us, but obviously we don't...so I'm really interested in Kenny Britt. With the KC second rounder, gives us a LOT of flexibility. I would be tempted to take him at the top of the second round if he were there. Britt probably has the best size/speed combination out of anyone in the draft and is a damn fine receiver to go along with all that.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-14-2009, 06:48 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We resigned M.Wright to a four yr deal and
signed J. Galloway to a one year deal.

Love it
Love it
Love it

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:28 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i like the galloway signing but idk what the pats are now going to do in the draft.... they keep signing these veterans to play important positions (CB, WR) when we also need some young talent, esp at WR imo. CB we have wilhite and wheatley, but we do not have a really good young WR.

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:52 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Hope it doesn't do anything to change anything. All this age kinda scares me.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-15-2009, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a big time future draft. I don't think New England will allow some short-term deals get in the way of replenishing talent at key positions. Maybe something like this (I like to call it Pac-10 day):

1. ILB Rey Maualuga, Southern California
2. OLB Clay Matthews, Southern California
2. CB Jairus Byrd, Oregon
2. OG Andy Levitre, Oregon State
Old 03-15-2009, 09:31 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

That would be a nice draft. Still, I just think too many veterans with expectations is never a good thing. I'm sure the team will be fine but a lot of teams have blown up once they started bringing in older guys for whatever reason.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-16-2009, 08:08 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
i like the galloway signing but idk what the pats are now going to do in the draft.... they keep signing these veterans to play important positions (CB, WR) when we also need some young talent, esp at WR imo. CB we have wilhite and wheatley, but we do not have a really good young WR.
The moves the Pats have made are great. It will allow them to go boom/bust the whole draft. It's going to be exciting.
________
HOW TO ROLL A JOINT

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:36 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the moves so far. I don't think it affects that draft that much b/c many of these guys are older and can only be seen as stop gaps.

Between age, current talent and contracts there are many positions of need. It seems like all the Pats fans here agree we must get a pass rusher (OLB) and a Safety immediately. On offense it is WR, TE, G, T and RB. On D it is ILB, DT, DE and CB.

Obviously Wilfork & Mankins really need to be extended, which would eliminate DT as a need. But there are still plenty of spots to fill long term and a few current needs. The moves made so far in FA give NE the chance to really move around and target guys they really like at several positions.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:08 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Well, the Wright re-signing really did affect the draft. That's the only one though.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:11 PM    (permalink
hannah73
Rookie

hannah73 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Yeah, it's hard to draft guys where there is almost no room in the inn available.

Have 5 CBs including wheatley and wilhite, 6 if you count Richardson.
Guess they could go safety for sure and LB of course. lineman too. Although I wouldn't draft levitre in the 2nd round. He seems like just another guy to me, not really athletic. Maybe Eric Wood in the 3rd/4th.

Maluga seems to have some red flags. I thought I read somewhere that they liked Michael Johnson and Clay Matthews, but I can't seem to find that anywhere anymore. Johnson doesn't seem like their type. Matthews does but may be too small to play ILB.

I think I read they like Ayers too. He could play 3-4 OLB and actually hold the point. which is important.

So I would give them...

Gilbert (yes 1st round, athletic guys who are 6-6 290 are tought to find)

Ayers (cause he can hold the point and play 3-4 OLB)

Delmas (cause they talked to him a bunch, other possibilities Chung and Moore and Byrd who could play safety or chip Vaughn or Rashad Johnson later)

A guard center like Luigs woods or Caldwell would be good as Koppen isn't really that good and they need a backup eventual replacement for mankins/Neal. Mankins may want too much money.

A ILB like Jaspar Brinkley in the 3rd.

A RB would be good as Maroney could be then cut. A WR except there's no room really. Maybe Dillard in the 5th as he seems pretty intelligent. Of course he may not last that long.
hannah73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:53 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

It will probably be Pettigrew then all O & D line and LBs.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope not
We still need our pass rushing OLB

Old 03-16-2009, 01:01 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Matthews would not play inside for us. That's taking away from one of his strengths. He's at 240+ right now and could easily get up to 250 and play OLB without a problem. I'm starting to come around on him in a major way. Tested better than any of his competition at the end of first 3-4 OLB bracket and it never hurts to have a guy who plays that hard around either.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-16-2009, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

I just got text'd by NFL Mobile Live

Pats and Panthers are trying to get a deal done between March 22nd and the Draft that would send the Pats' 34th pick to the Panthers for J. Peppers.
It also says that BB loves the idea of teaming up Rey Maualuga with Mayo in the middle with the 23rd pick.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Peppers for the 34th pick? I say Hell Yeah!

Old 03-16-2009, 01:09 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Matthews is a player I would be happy with, and he could be a steal if he slides to the mid 2nd pick. I have heard a few talking heads call him under-rated or overshadowed b/c of the other USC LBs.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:10 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
Matthews is a player I would be happy with, and he could be a steal if he slides to the mid 2nd pick. I have heard a few talking heads call him under-rated or overshadowed b/c of the other USC LBs.
He really is. Pete Carroll is on the record saying that he thinks that if he had played Matthews, USC wouldn't have lost to Oregon State.

As far as Peppers for the 34th pick....Here we go again I guess? Have to wonder how reliable that service is though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-16-2009, 01:14 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
I just got text'd by NFL Mobile Live

Pats and Panthers are trying to get a deal done between March 22nd and the Draft that would send the Pats' 34th pick to the Panthers for J. Peppers.
It also says that BB loves the idea of teaming up Rey Maualuga with Mayo in the middle with the 23rd pick.
That would be well worth it. I wouldn't mind changing my sig to reflect that deal.

lol

Old 03-16-2009, 01:25 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Matthews would not play inside for us. That's taking away from one of his strengths. He's at 240+ right now and could easily get up to 250 and play OLB without a problem. I'm starting to come around on him in a major way. Tested better than any of his competition at the end of first 3-4 OLB bracket and it never hurts to have a guy who plays that hard around either.
I think Matthews could become a very good 3-4 ILB, but I agree that's not where he should play for the Pats (at least, not right away). They have plenty of guys that can play inside.
________
Buy cannabis seeds

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:54 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

damn mayo maulaluga peppers and adalius thomas would be insanely nasty haha with crable, redd, and guyton developing behind them

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:56 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

The potential Peppers trade is now being run on every outlet. sigh.

If it's pick #34 and little else it's ok, but man Pepp will be expensive.

Either way I think the Cassel deal was executed awfully quick since no true 'big-time' FA deal has been done.