Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 03-19-2009, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
The money just wouldn't be there with the kind of contract Peppers would command. There wouldn't be that much we could do.

I just think with the positional questions about Peppers and the money it requires we would be better served holding onto our picks and stocking up for a deep playoff run.
They are already in contract extension negotiations with Wilfork. Maybe they view the money that Seymour would demand to be too much for a player his age, and would be more willing to spend it on someone else. That being said, perhaps Peppers would take less to play for the patriots. The panthers offered him a contract to be the highest paid defensive player ever, and he turned it down. It sounds like it isn't about the money, but rather its about the situation he wants to play in.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:11 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But it's got to at least be a little bit about the money. Can't believe he would take a less than market long term deal for us when he could hit free agency next year and make HUUUGE money with a potentially uncapped year.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:42 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigburt63 View Post
They are already in contract extension negotiations with Wilfork. Maybe they view the money that Seymour would demand to be too much for a player his age, and would be more willing to spend it on someone else. That being said, perhaps Peppers would take less to play for the patriots. The panthers offered him a contract to be the highest paid defensive player ever, and he turned it down. It sounds like it isn't about the money, but rather its about the situation he wants to play in.
This is really the big hang-up for me. If Vince & Mankins can get extensions done first it would ease my mind quite a bit. Then at least they are taken care of before we even sign Peppers. Problem solved.

And Peppers could 'play ball' with NE, who knows? That would be freakin' awesome!

nepg - I'm not totally against the idea of Peppers in NE. I would love it. It just brings some big concerns with it that can't be ignored.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:30 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great article on Bill's discussion of Peppers and the Cassel trade - linked here.

The main points: Peppers has to sign his franchise offer to even discuss trades. The Cassel trade involved only one actual offer - the one from KC.

And on the nonsense that He did Pioli a favor of some kind:

"Belichick scoffed at the notion he passed up a potential better deal to help out Scott Pioli, who left the Patriots in January to become the general manager of the Chiefs.

"It's pretty ludicrous," said Belichick. "I have all the respect in the world for Scott and everything that he's done. He's a great friend. He's a terrific executive and personnel manager, but I work for the Patriots. I have no loyalty to anybody or any team other than the New England Patriots. Everything I do is for our team to win and be successful. I can't imagine that anybody would think that's any different.""

Old 03-21-2009, 01:04 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like BB is aware of everything we've talked about. Even hinted to Peppers to sign the tender so the trade talks can be a whole lot more fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Carucci
A whole lot has been said and written about a story I posted on this site Monday regarding a likely trade that would send Carolina Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers to New England in exchange for a second-round draft pick. On Thursday, two prominent voices joined the conversation: Patriots coach Bill Belichick and Peppers’ agent, Carl Carey.

After hearing Belichick during an interview on Boston radio station WEEI and reading comments from Carey posted a short while later on the Boston Herald’s website, I got the impression that if anything does happen between the Patriots and Panthers, it will take every bit of the month-plus time frame I mentioned in the piece: at some point between the league meetings, which begin Sunday, and the April 25 draft.

After giving WEEI’s Glenn Ordway the technical explanation of why there couldn’t be any trade talks between the Patriots and Panthers — because Peppers has yet to sign his franchise-tender agreement with Carolina and, therefore, the Panthers aren’t allowed to discuss a deal with any team — Belichick did say, “There’s a lot of moving parts in a situation like this. There’s a lot of things that have to be worked out and, in all honesty, when you’re talking about that level of player, that level of contract, those different levels of commitment, it’s usually not the kind of thing that happens in 10 or 15 minutes. Those things can take a long time and they can tie up a lot of time, money and resources and they may or may not ever get done.”

Carey told the Herald’s Karen Guregian, “We’re not in a position where we have to act hastily.”

Although the teams can’t talk trade until Peppers signs the one-year tender with Carolina, his agent can broker a contract with another team that he then could take back to the Panthers. Belichick never mentioned on WEEI whether he or anyone else from the Patriots has spoken with Carey about Peppers. However, Carey told Guregian that he has not heard from the Pats, even though he has had “preliminary discussions with GMs from other clubs in the league.”

Either way, Belichick made it pretty clear that he’d prefer to avoid that path to a trade. In fact, you got the distinct feeling Belichick was trying to send a message to Peppers and his agent to sign the $16.68 million tender with the Panthers because it would actually help the trade process along . That logic makes sense, because the Pats would then be in the position to communicate directly with the Panthers about the terms of the trade. I continue to hear from league sources that Carolina would accept trading Peppers for the second-round pick New England acquired for Matt Cassel (34th overall). That is all the Pats would be willing to give up for a player with a one-year contract, while also having discussions with Carey about working out a longer-term deal that would satisfy his client and fit New England’s pay structure.

“I don’t think that’s a good way to do business,” Belichick said to WEEI about an agent-brokered transaction. “I personally would not do it that way. I think if a player wants to be traded or wants to be in a position where he could be traded, then the best thing for that player to do is do what Matt Cassel did — sign the tender, be under contract, and then go to the team and say, ’Okay, I don’t want to be here, trade me, this is where I want to go.’”

If Peppers wants to go to New England, there is every reason to believe he’d be welcome (Belichick said Peppers would have no problem converting from a 4-3 end to an outside linebacker in the Patriots’ 3-4 scheme). But given the complexities of working out a contract that is acceptable to him and fits the Pats’ pay structure and also working out the actual trade agreement with the Panthers, it is clearly going to take a while for him to get there … if he ever does.

–Vic Carucci

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:47 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is anyone else surprised we havent tried negotians with Jason Taylor? I cant believe hes been on the market this long and weve yet to do anything about it. I feel like he could help the team more then the older WRs we recently signed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:20 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he's been on his way to Tampa since he was cut by Washington. Just a matter of time. He doesn't want to play in a 3-4, that's why he's not in Miami anymore.
________
Web Shows

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:15 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:01 AM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ESPN Insider

Quote:
Patriots the front-runner for Taylor?
Jason Taylor | Redskins | Interested: Patriots?
With no resolution in sight for the Julius Peppers situation, the New England Patriots might be taking advantage of the fact that there is an older but similar player on the market, and they wouldn't have to wrangle a trade in order to acquire him.

Having been released nearly a month ago by the Washington Redskins, Jason Taylor is in no hurry to sign with a new team, but two sources have informed Yahoo! Sports that the Patriots are Taylor's top choice. According to the sources, Taylor sees New England as his best chance to win a Super Bowl ring, and he is aware of coach Bill Belichick's reputation of deftness in handling veteran players.

For the Patriots, a deal with Taylor makes sense for all the same reasons that a trade for Peppers would make sense. The team has a need for a disruptive pass-rusher, and while Taylor had somewhat of an off-year in 2008, it is believed by some that the reason for it was the defensive scheme in Washington as opposed to declining skills. For his part, Patriots owner Robert Kraft played coy about the situation at the NFL owners' meetings, saying of Taylor's potential with the team, "I'm sure that can happen if he wants it."

Another possibility to fill the role is the draft, and a report in the Boston Globe indicates that the team may use a first- or second-round pick on Cincinnati defensive end Connor Barwin, who led the Big East with 11 sacks in 2008. The added bonus with Barwin is that he played his first three seasons for Cincinnati as a tight end, and the team may have visions of him playing a role similar to Mike Vrabel, who was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs earlier this offseason.

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:05 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get why people make such a big deal out of Vrabel lining up at TE every once in awhile... It was in goal line situations and used as a distraction more than anything. All Vrabes ever did was run flats...anyone can do that. He never actually played TE.
________
Live Sex

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:11 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

It is always brought up b/c it shows "versatility" in a player's game.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:17 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

I mean, it's fun to watch like when they trot out Scalabrine at the end of a game and try to get him to hit a three, but that's about the extent of it... It's not like Troy Brown playing corner or Hochstein playing G, C, and FB or Dan Klecko going from NT, to DE, to OLB, to ILB, back to NT, and playing some FB and TE...
________
Gennice cam

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:20 AM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

very true but im surprised the pats may be in interested in taylor..... he would add to our much needed pass rush

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:33 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

You are surprised? I figured they would be talking to him at some point. He and BB seem to have a man crush thing going on for each other.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:38 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not suprised we are looking at Taylor, we love those veterean LBs. We could get him for cheap too since he is coming off of an injury and is in the downside of his career, but that will be the issue. I don't want to give up a lot for him even though I think he could do well here. If we added him we would still probably go OLB day 1 but it would make ILB our clear cut top need.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We traded E. Hobbs???

Old 04-28-2009, 03:18 PM    (permalink
goodlookin
Rookie

goodlookin is a cocksman.goodlookin is a cocksman.goodlookin is a cocksman.goodlookin is a cocksman.

lets pick up L. Foote and make bruschi become a coach....OMFG.
goodlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

I like the idea of picking up Foote.
Sounds like a BB type move anyways

Old 04-28-2009, 09:01 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind Foote at all if the price was right.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 04-29-2009, 09:11 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Larry Foote would be great. More UM linebackers . . . excellent.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Looks like BB acknowledged our TE depth.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4118146

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.c...=37141&pcid=47

TE Alex Smith from the Bucs for an undisclosed draft pick in 2010.
I like the trade- as long as its not a high draft pick

Last edited by Nalej : 04-30-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, I can't say I expected that but I like the Alex Smith pickup a lot. He is young, talented, and smart. Good move.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:57 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like this pickup a lot! :D

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Nice pickup. Probably a conditional pick, most likely a 5th rounder. Wouldn't surprise me if Smith ended up outpreforming Watson this year.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-01-2009, 08:23 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

What is the deal with the "undisclosed pick" nonsense? I'm getting pretty tired of that BS. BB has some serious issues.

Anyway . . .

Love the Smith pick up and I agree w/ElectricEye that he'll probably take over the #1 spot. My guess is a 5th round conditional that could become a 4th.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish we had traded you our Alex Smith :)

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote