Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 02-08-2009, 11:20 AM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae-KC View Post
I agree as well, but if Stafford is there at 3, how do you pass on him?
if the man beast Aaron Curry is there :D
Old 02-08-2009, 11:23 AM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG-HoF View Post
I
Edit: Gonzalez and Bowe standing behind Thigpen is meaningless. Gonzalez wanted Herm back also, I don't think you would want that. General managers make those decisions, not Tight Ends begging to be traded.

Gonzo was'nt the only player who wanted Herm back so don't place all that on him
Old 02-08-2009, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-RICH49 View Post
if the man beast Aaron Curry is there :D
I'm mixed. I think TG has a few good points with Thiggy. He's got a big arm and put up similar stats as Big Ben in a spread offense. I think teams caught on in the second half with the spread and him eyeing down Tony Gonzalez. I don't agree with him when he says he's not the answer, we don't know whether or not he is....if anything I think he's warranted a year to prove he's the starter. He was impressive in quite a few of those games man. He at least deserves a shot(and at the least, can develop into a solid backup ala Seneca Wallace) I think we stilil should pick up a quarterback like Rhett Bomar for competition and a back up plan. What round is he going in?

I think if Brodie put up those numbers people would be impressed just because he stayed healthy for more than 5 minutes and 34 seconds. I was impressed when Brodie played, it was windy in arrowhead and that happened to blow his knee out that day.

Also, I think you need a franchise qb to play in this league. Thiggy has a potential to be a very good qb. On the same token, Aaron Curry is a beast, but so is Brian Urlacher fromthe bears and tell me...how many super bowls has he won for his team?
Old 02-08-2009, 02:01 PM    (permalink
TG-HoF
Rookie

TG-HoF hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TG-HoF hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm not blaming TG, I just don't think his opinion on who plays and who doesn't is relevant. He can say that we should bring back Elvis Grbac and Lin Elliot for all I care. The general manager and the player personnel department don't care who TG wants to play quarterback, park cars or sell hot dogs. I am not criticizing him he has a right to his opinion, especially as long as he has been here and the level at which he has played.

Bottom line is the Gm shouldn't care, he should make his own decision, that's his job.

TT was impressive in some quarters, I don't remember a game that the offense including him didn't completely disappear for at least 1 quarter. You can't blame that all on him, but you can't absolve him of blame either. You obviously see something in him that I don't, and I hope he proves me completely wrong, I just don't see it.
TG-HoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:04 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You don't win Super Bowls as an individual. Brian Urlacher helped take his team there. We haven't won a playoff game since the 90s and Pioli has 3 rings in the last 6 years. He knows how to build a championship defense and he loves his linebackers.

Thigpen has a lot to work on but the jury is still out. He could be a very good QB for a long time.

An interesting stat I heard: He threw more TDs and less picks than Ben Roethlisberger. Ben had 17 tds and 15 picks, Thigpen had 18 tds and 12 picks. The difference between a 2-14 record and winning the Super Bowl? That DEFENSE.

We cannot win games when the other team scores more points than we do. It's crazy but it's true!

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae-KC View Post
You don't win Super Bowls as an individual. Brian Urlacher helped take his team there. We haven't won a playoff game since the 90s and Pioli has 3 rings in the last 6 years. He knows how to build a championship defense and he loves his linebackers.

Thigpen has a lot to work on but the jury is still out. He could be a very good QB for a long time.

An interesting stat I heard: He threw more TDs and less picks than Ben Roethlisberger. Ben had 17 tds and 15 picks, Thigpen had 18 tds and 12 picks. The difference between a 2-14 record and winning the Super Bowl? That DEFENSE.

We cannot win games when the other team scores more points than we do. It's crazy but it's true!
I agree that the defense on the Steelers is their biggest asset, but come on, Big Ben is so much better than Thigpen and it's not even a contest. Ben has been a starter for much longer, is a much better decision maker, has a much better arm, and has actually won a few games here and there. Even last year, TD-INT ratio doesn't tell the whole story - Ben's YPA was 7.04 to TT's 6.21. Also, 59.9% to 54.8% - Vince Young cringes when he looks at Thigpen's completion percentage. Also, Roethlisberger had 700 more yards and is just a far more clutch quarterback.

Every year, there are a few teams whose fans think they really have something when they get a quarterback who really doesn't do that much. I remember the Raiders fans all thought this same thing when they had Andrew Walter a few years ago. We never heard from him again once they drafted Russell. Bears fans say that every year and get sub-par play to go along with it every year as well. What's next, Jets fans who think Kellen Clemens is going to be a stud? This same thing happened with Damon Huard and Brodie Croyle a few years ago - at some point, you've gotta stop taking guys off the scrap heap and get some actual talent. I think Thigpen is an okay backup, but you can't rely on someone who had a mediocre season with one of the worst passer ratings in the league to be a starter for ten years when you have an opportunity to get a legitimate starter. No offense, but that's how I see it.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:47 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No offense taken and you'll notice I never said anywhere that Thigpen was as good as Ben; he isn't and it isn't close. Just saying, for someone who most people have given up on, Thigpen had a pretty solid season.

I was merely pointing out the fact that Pittsburgh D won a lot of the games for them and you can't deny that fact. If our D was half as good and Thigpen was "decent" we might win our division which was really balls last year. Two teams at 8-8 means it is anyones game at this point!

Old 02-08-2009, 08:48 PM    (permalink
Loggerhead
Rookie

Loggerhead hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Loggerhead hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like watching TT play and think that he will be a good starter. But comparing him to Roethlisberger is heresy. The year before this Ben passed for 33 TD's and had the 2nd highest QB rating in the NFL. This year he just suffered from a non existent running game and an OL that lacked cohesion for most of the year.
KC's problems don't stem from the QB position. They stem from lacking a consistent running game, a terrible right side of the OL, and having only 2 decent recievers.
If I am KC I would draft Curry 1st round, Hakeem Nicks in the 2nd, and sign Vernon Carey in FA. With all that being said though your defense is in disarray. Since Pioli has a background in a 3-4 D, does that mean Flowers, Dorsey, and Tyler are no longer fits? KC has a lot of needs and I don't think drafting a QB is the answer. Give Thigpen 2 years as the starter and try to build around him instead of totally starting over.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:04 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
I agree that the defense on the Steelers is their biggest asset, but come on, Big Ben is so much better than Thigpen and it's not even a contest. Ben has been a starter for much longer, is a much better decision maker, has a much better arm, and has actually won a few games here and there. Even last year, TD-INT ratio doesn't tell the whole story - Ben's YPA was 7.04 to TT's 6.21. Also, 59.9% to 54.8% - Vince Young cringes when he looks at Thigpen's completion percentage. Also, Roethlisberger had 700 more yards and is just a far more clutch quarterback.

Every year, there are a few teams whose fans think they really have something when they get a quarterback who really doesn't do that much. I remember the Raiders fans all thought this same thing when they had Andrew Walter a few years ago. We never heard from him again once they drafted Russell. Bears fans say that every year and get sub-par play to go along with it every year as well. What's next, Jets fans who think Kellen Clemens is going to be a stud? This same thing happened with Damon Huard and Brodie Croyle a few years ago - at some point, you've gotta stop taking guys off the scrap heap and get some actual talent. I think Thigpen is an okay backup, but you can't rely on someone who had a mediocre season with one of the worst passer ratings in the league to be a starter for ten years when you have an opportunity to get a legitimate starter. No offense, but that's how I see it.
Gotta take guys off the scrap heap? I don't think theres any argument that thiggy has talent. I can't honestly see how you can objectively say that he doesn't have potential based off his statistics. I could only watch the guy in the Denver game, but MAN, you can get excited about Thiggy... Comparing him to proven, "talented" quarterbacks, his stats were similar to those that are first ballot hall of famers(Peyton, and in his rookie season if we're comparing apples to apples). I thought Brodie had talent(enough to base our entire franchise on him) but they guy couldn't stay healthy. Here we got thiggy, a more mobile, less injury prone quarterback with a similar completion percentage in his rookie season as Peyton did.

I never said Thiggy is as good as Big Ben is, but how many games would he have won without that amazing defense? I mean, you switch those two defenses, how many games would Big Ben win? I don't think we'd see him in the playoffs....
Old 02-09-2009, 09:53 PM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tyler Thigpen can turn out to be a good QB, but I don't want a good QB. It's time to get an elite QB.

Thigpen isn't part of the problem, nor is he the solution. He's a QB I'd feel comfortable putting in the game if the #1 guy goes down.
TonyGfortheTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:10 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post

1. Ben has been a starter for much longer.
-True, however you can't knock Thiggy for being 3-4 years younger then Roethlisberger.

2. Ben is a much better decision maker.
-Again, a product of 3-4 years more experience then Thiggy. And his rookie season he was asked to not lose games, and therefore didn't have a very big role. Thiggy was asked to win games with a HOF tight end, a wide receiver with the drops, 2 good o-linemen, and a historically bad defense. And he was essentially a rookie.

3. Ben has a much better arm.
-No argument on this one. Ben is also about 5 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier.

4. Ben has actually won a few games.
-Let's look at number 2 again. If Roethlisberger was the starter this year for the Chiefs, how many games would they have won? 4? 5?

The Chiefs were historically bad, and as the QB for the majority of the year, Thiggy has some of that blame. However, aside from the Atlanta game Thiggy played much better then anyone could have possibly hoped. I see a lot of potential there, and if he can become a proficient pocket passer he is going to be a very dangerous QB.

Does that mean the Chiefs shouldn't draft Stafford if he is available? No, obviously you take the best QB available right now. And honestly, I see Cassel as a less athletic version of Thigpen, who benefitted from having a tremendous plethora of weapons to choose from, including Randy Moss, one of the best WRs ever.

Thiggy shouldn't be labeled the QBOTF, he hasn't shown he can be that. But he has shown that he shouldn't be discarded so easily.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:41 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will not compare Big Ben to TT at all. That is all!

Big Ben mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm baby
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:56 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
I will not compare Big Ben to TT at all. That is all!

Big Ben mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm baby
Way to not take a stand, haha.

Last edited by villagewarrior : 02-12-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:07 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, is it fair to say Brodie Croyle is not the answer?
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:56 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thigpen looked decent in the college no-read offense, but when he was in any kind of game situation where he had to make a game decision (2nd & 4th quarter, 3rd downs, etc.) he was absolutely lost and a total piece of crap still.

He might have earned a shot in a real offense, but I honestly wouldn't bother with him. To compare him to Cassel is absolutely ********. Cassel reads defenses, checks defenders, goes through all of his progressions, moves in the pocket...you know, everything you want your QB to be able to do.

Thigpen can't do any of these things. He takes a 3-step drop and either throws it if he sees his man, or runs. He was instructed to run or take sacks if his primary target wasn't wide open. That is not what you want out of your starting QB.

The Chiefs have no business drafting a QB at #3. They've got tons of cap room and very few free agents (the ones that sort of matter are RFAs anyway). At #3, the best pick is easily Aaron Curry.

They have 2 options for the QB position: give Thigpen a shot, and look for a QB after the 3rd round (Freeman, Bomar, Reilly) to take over when Thigpen almost inevitably fails, or sign/trade for Matt Cassel or Kurt Warner (with Kurt, you still have to draft a QB later).

I really think they should just not screw around with the QB position and trade for Cassel. It's not going to take much to trade for him, and it's worth it. This is a team that will win the AFC West if they get just a few new starters in place and add some depth. They have primo draft picks and tons of cap room for free agents...
________
Paxil Class Action Lawsuit

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:45 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:59 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
4. Ben has actually won a few games.
-Let's look at number 2 again. If Roethlisberger was the starter this year for the Chiefs, how many games would they have won? 4? 5?
It doesn't matter if you're talking about Ben NOW or Ben as a rookie...the Chiefs would have won 10+ with Ben NOW and at least 7 games with Ben as a rookie... The Chiefs weren't that bad, the QB play made them 2-14... That's how bad the situation was most of the year...
________
Live Sex Webshows

Old 02-13-2009, 02:31 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
It doesn't matter if you're talking about Ben NOW or Ben as a rookie...the Chiefs would have won 10+ with Ben NOW and at least 7 games with Ben as a rookie... The Chiefs weren't that bad, the QB play made them 2-14... That's how bad the situation was most of the year...
You could NOT be more wrong. The QB play did not make us 2-14. Our LAST IN OVERALL DEFENSE did. We were close in so many of those games (something like 6? losses by 7 or fewer) but we were absolute dead last in rush defense and last in total defense.

We were not 2-14 because of QB play. It certainly didn't help, but when Thigpen came in he gave us a stabilizing force on the offensive side.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:47 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Yes it did. If you can't hold onto the ball and put your defense in bad situations (ie on the field long and often), that's a direct result of the offense. Despite statistics, the defense really isn't all that bad.
________
SensualLady

Old 02-13-2009, 10:34 AM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Yes it did. If you can't hold onto the ball and put your defense in bad situations (ie on the field long and often), that's a direct result of the offense. Despite statistics, the defense really isn't all that bad.
A direct result of the offense? What about those few three hundred yard rushing games they had against our voracious defense? You can't tell me that the defense was more at fault for us losing games. I can see an effect on how the offense puts your defense in trouble, which the spread can be susceptible too(if you don't make your throws, etc) but I'd say the lack of pass rush, our inability to contain speedy backs was more of an issue. Thiggy, more or less, kept us in games not killed us.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:00 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Obviously they have a few holes on defense (pass rusher, MLB, OLB), but 90% of the problems last year were because of the right side of the offensive line and the QB. Rushing yards against are often a product of the offense not getting the job done (as was the case with the Chiefs in 2008). When you can't keep a drive going and keep pressure on the other team, they're just going to run it out.

When teams got a lead against the Chiefs, they had zero fear of Kansas City's offense doing anything, so they'd just run it. Lack of a middle linebacker hurt the Chiefs in these situations, but going forward, it's still more of an issue with the QB position.

Chiefs fans are all high and optimistic about Thigpen because he had a few decent games statistically, but the dude sucks. When you look at the why's and how's of the Chiefs last year, it was obvious from the beginning that the QB position was losing games all on its own. Even when it seemed Thigpen was playing well, he still sucked in the 2nd and 4th quarters and on 3rd downs.
________
Michele

Old 02-13-2009, 12:22 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I'm sorry, but you're still wrong.

While I'm not saying Thigpen is definitely the answer, I think there is a reason to be optimistic. He was a rookie last year, he had never started and never led a team in the NFL so saying he "sucks" is a little harsh.

And he was the only reason we were in ANY game, so saying that the biggest problem is QB play is just 100% completely wrong. There were games we got rushed on early (ie Raiders early in the year, a game I was at) and couldn't stop. The other team didn't run on us every game because it was protecting a lead, they did it because everyone in the NFL knew we couldn't stop the run. We made mediocre backs look like super stars. Cedric Benson had over 100 yards and a TD against us and I think we can all agree that he isn't (and hasn't been) a dynamic back.

A lot of those games came down to the 4th quarter because Thigpen and the offense kept us in it while the defense shut down. Saying the defense "isn't that bad" when we were ranked dead last in almost every important category (rush defense, number of sacks which we were HISTORICALLY BAD IN, ie, no team has EVER in the HISTORY of the league has ever had fewer sacks in a season than us) is flat out weird to me.

Are you even a Chiefs fan? How many games did you see last year?

Old 02-13-2009, 02:09 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

1. He wasn't a rookie. It was his second year in the NFL. He was with the Chiefs for a good chunk of 2007, and got a ton of reps all throughout the off-season camps.

2. He's not even close to the reason they were IN any game. The game they won, he didn't play that well against Oakland. The games that were close, he couldn't do **** in the 4th quarter.

3. Those games came down to the 4th quarter because the offense stopped playing once they got a lead. 3 & outs just about every time when they had a lead.

4. It was actually the defense that was the reason for those games being close late in the game. A lot of big stops and key turnovers (including a couple defensive TDs). The super offense managed 6 points against the vicious Bengals defense...
________
Web shows

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

1. You don't get too much experience buried at the bottom of the depth chart holding the water for the QB holding the clipboard.
2. Teams figured out the spread, that's a coaching error not Thiggy's
3. One thing I think ROokie(essentially) qb's problems' are is they lock onto recievers. that one SD game we played, we should've won but Thiggy was locked onto TG. That can be fixed.
4. Our team cashed it in at the very last game. I think any team would do that with as bad of a season as we had.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:27 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

nepg, I'm sorry my friend but you could not be any more wrong regarding the defense. To say the defense has a few needs is the same as saying Titanic had a little hole in its hull.

The biggest problem with the offense was not Thigpen. It was the lack of a running game. The Chiefs very rarely threw the ball deep (primarily cause they don't really have a deep threat), which allowed the defense to sit on the short routes. No running game+no deep threat+defensive adjustments to short game=inconsistent offense.

If the Chiefs had a running game that made a defense blink, the run action would be more effective, the bootleg would be more effective, and it would give the receivers a better opportunity to beat one on one coverage and get open. The lack of a running game killed the offense.

But it was the lack of a defense that killed the team. I think the Chiefs set 2 of the top 5 team records for opponents most rushing yards allowed. That's horrendous.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:55 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

They do only have a few big needs. MLB, SLB, and a pass rusher (which they might already have in Babin)... The starters they have at those positions are good back-ups, so outside of a veteran corner, depth isn't a huge concern.

They couldn't run the ball due to a combination of 1) right side of the line sucked, and 2) no one respected the pass because Thigpen can't read defenses or go through progressions. Teams knew this. When you have Bowe and Tony Gonzalez, someone is open... But defenses weren't worried about those other options (Bradley turned out to be a pretty good 3rd option, and all of their RBs are good receivers) because they knew Thigpen couldn't progress past his 2nd option before he tucked it and ran, took a sack, or forced a bad throw.

They also didn't run the ball a lot because they were trailing most of the game. You can't run the ball if you can't get teams off the line with your passing game.
________
The Peak Towers Condominium

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:46 AM.