Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 AM    (permalink
TheBuffaloBills
Veteran

TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

These basketball players that were talked about would not survive in the NFL. There are no 6'7, 6'8 WR out there right now that are dominating. These players would have terrible center of gravity. Just swipe at their legs and hit them below the waist an they will collapse. I would rather have LeBron James running full speed at me rather than MJD.

Nate Robinson could have a decent NFL career, because he is 5'9.

Thank you XxXDragonXxX for the Avatar!
TheBuffaloBills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:12 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuffaloBills View Post
I would rather have LeBron James running full speed at me rather than MJD.
Sig quote. Called it.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:26 AM    (permalink
Rayray52
Veteran

Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.

julius peppers
Rayray52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayray52 View Post
julius peppers
very insightful

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:33 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
FWIW, dunno how much stock anyone would put into his words, but Bron shot down the 270 pounds thing, said it was just a rumor, but he did say he was 6'9, which probably means 6'7 3/4 without shoes.

LeBron would no doubt make it in the NFL, but I just love how people are so convinced he would be a dominant force, and believe outrageous combine numbers when LeBron opted out so he wouldn't hurt his stock.

Still the best athlete in the world right now IMO, but do you guys believe he can grab a quarter off the backboard too?
Well, he said he was 260 and added 8 pounds this summer while trying to lose weight.

So 268.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:35 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
Yeah but Iam sure they would have a hell of a time taking hits, and run blocking. Due to their height, they are at a disadv. because stronger football players, who are most likely shorter, could submarine them and get their pad level lower. Plus can these guys memorize a playbook?
LeBron is 6'9". But he's also 270. That is big.

Run blocking? As a wide receiver? No matter how tall he is, he is 6'9" 270 with extreme quickness going against cornerbacks who are usually less than 6' and under 200 pounds.

LeBron is intelligent as well.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:38 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
I don't think that NBA player have quite the same straight speed as NFL receivers and corners. They are very quick in tight spaces to get by someone, but I don't see Kobe being able to keep up with Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, or Larry Fitzgerald for a long route. He could do it, but he wouldn't dominate.

They are very different ways of using your body, I know they could acclimate, but athletes have certain abilities that fit different sports better.

Outside of guys like Barbosa, Parker, Iverson, and some other guards, I don't see many NBA players running a sub 4.5.
I used to think the same thing. It's just not true.

For example, Nate Robinson ran a 4.38 out of highschool.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:44 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

40 time ---> Game speed with pads?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:45 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

You guys really are cutting these NBA athletes short. I guess that is expected on a NFL board, though.

Saying players like Dwayne Wade, LeBron, etc are not fast is ignorant. These guys get down the court faster than about any NFL player could. Whose to say they couldn't do it on the field?

Most of these guys either adapted to one sport quicker (due to build) or chose one sport due to monetary purposes. Many of these NBA players played one year of college ball and went pro. Some played no college ball. The money is quicker.

When it comes down to it, these are still some of the best athletes in the world. If they have the physical toughness and the build I don't think there is much of a question to if they could make it.2

Old 02-08-2009, 10:46 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
40 time ---> Game speed with pads?
Give me a damn break. These are top notch athletes, not children.

And Nate Robinson is a little tough SOB, it's obvious from watching him.

So expected on a NFL board.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:48 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuffaloBills View Post
These basketball players that were talked about would not survive in the NFL. There are no 6'7, 6'8 WR out there right now that are dominating. These players would have terrible center of gravity. Just swipe at their legs and hit them below the waist an they will collapse. I would rather have LeBron James running full speed at me rather than MJD.

Nate Robinson could have a decent NFL career, because he is 5'9.
Because most of the elite level athletes that height play basketball.

People are failing to realise that these guys chose basketball because of the payday. LeBron and many other NBA players are unlike athletes we have in the NFL due to their height. It doesn't make them soft. Sure some of them are, but not all of them.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:33 AM    (permalink
BNad
Rookie

BNad hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I thought Lebron was a good WR prospect in high school as a sophomore? He's a great athlete, I'm sure he could have played (I dunno about this dominate talk) in college and possibly the NFL. It's hard to imagine a 6'8 WR not dominating, but who knows.

I would think he just gave up football because the clear choice for moneymaking (earlier and more) was the NBA.

I don't see Kobe doing it. I think the Nate Robinson one is interesting. Great leaping ability (despite that absolutely horrendous dunk competition I had to sit through). He could be a corner or a slot guy.
BNad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:22 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
If I recall correctly, LeBron James did play some football in high school (at wide receiver) but he stopped because he didn't like getting hit. Considering that he must have been much bigger than most of his competition and physically dominates most NBA players (including some bigger than him), that doesn't bode well for the transition of any NBA player, to be honest.
He quit because every scout, coach, agent, etc told him he needed to quit. That he would make a lot more money in basketball, have a much longer career, and come out without needing surgery on every part of his body. In an ESPN article, he said he was disappointed with having to quit football, but that it was the best decision for the rest of his life.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:29 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whoever was the Cardinals HC when Lebron came out told him that he had a contract waiting if he ever wanted to switch sports. Just throwing that out there. Obviously it was a little tongue in cheek, but I bet anything any GM would jump at the chance to add Lebron to his team.

Go look at the average superstar salary in basketball and the average superstar salary in football. Tell me which is higher. Now go look at the average length of careers, and the average number of surgeries needed. Tell me that anyone of you would choose football over basketball. Start getting paid at 18 and play until you are 36+ or start getting payed when you are 22 and end when you are 32? Which one are you going to choose? A lot of these basketball players, the super starts especially would be able to dominate in football had they chosen that path. There is no doubt in my mind that LeBron would be the greatest TE or WR of all time, had he chosen football over basketball. He has the athleticism, the will, everything you need to succeed in ANY sport. He is just a freak of nature, he just so happens to have the determination and the will to go with it.

What the hell is that about "can they learn a playbook?" That may be the most ignorant thing someone has said on this board in a long time. I can't help but think that has some racial undertones to it, I apologize if I am wrong, but seriously...
Old 02-08-2009, 02:38 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Oh, and I'm pretty sure LeBron wouldn't be resticted to wide receiver. In a sports illustrated article some team official said he could probably play free safety. I wouldn't doubt he could play DE, OLB, SS, FS, WR, or TE.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:47 PM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Saying players like Dwayne Wade, LeBron, etc are not fast is ignorant. These guys get down the court faster than about any NFL player could. Whose to say they couldn't do it on the field?
And who's to say Nmandi Asomougha or Andre Johnson couldn't run down an NBA court faster than any NBA player? You're selling NFL players short with that argument.
Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:48 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
And who's to say Nmandi Asomougha or Andre Johnson couldn't run down an NBA court faster than any NBA player? You're selling NFL players short with that argument.
I said 'just about'.

Of course some NFL players could get down the field faster than some of the NBA players. Some NBA players are slow. But many of them could keep up with the NFL players.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:17 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Oh, and I'm pretty sure LeBron wouldn't be resticted to wide receiver. In a sports illustrated article some team official said he could probably play free safety. I wouldn't doubt he could play DE, OLB, SS, FS, WR, or TE.
But WR and TE are the two positions that he would absolutely dominate at. I don't doubt that he could play damn near any position on the field. But he wouldn't affect the game like he would at WR.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:33 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
But WR and TE are the two positions that he would absolutely dominate at. I don't doubt that he could play damn near any position on the field. But he wouldn't affect the game like he would at WR.
I agree.

It's just further exemplifies his athleticism.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
Give me a damn break. These are top notch athletes, not children.

And Nate Robinson is a little tough SOB, it's obvious from watching him.

So expected on a NFL board.
dude, even the ******* football players prospects fail while being good athletes and having great 40 times. The 40 time is useless imo.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:38 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
dude, even the ******* football players prospects fail while being good athletes and having great 40 times. The 40 time is useless imo.
There's not many other direct comparisons besides that.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:16 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
No... NBA players are good at their craft but just because they can jump high doesn't mean that they could run a route, out jump defenders and haul in passes moving a lot faster than your average basketball.

Besides, not many in the NBA would be close to being tough enough to take the hammering NFL players do.
Or take a massive hit going over the middle.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:04 PM    (permalink
twista6002
Veteran

twista6002 twista6002 twista6002 twista6002 twista6002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend234 View Post
Am I crazy to think that NBA players would be the best receivers and corners in the NFL if they switched sports?
Yes you are.
twista6002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:37 PM    (permalink
MenOfTroy
Rookie

MenOfTroy is a cocksman.MenOfTroy is a cocksman.MenOfTroy is a cocksman.MenOfTroy is a cocksman.

Basketball players are great athletes for their size, but remember... pads. Hard to tell if they'd look as athletic with all of that gear on.

Definitely, though, part of the reason why NFL guys often feel rejuvenated athletically when they work in some basketball into offseason training.
MenOfTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenOfTroy View Post
Basketball players are great athletes for their size, but remember... pads. Hard to tell if they'd look as athletic with all of that gear on.

Definitely, though, part of the reason why NFL guys often feel rejuvenated athletically when they work in some basketball into offseason training.
Even if you are a football player, pads affect you. You have to realize, most NFL players wear shoulder pads and a helmet. They don't have any pads in their legs. Pads wouldn't affect someone like Lebron James any more than they affect Randy Moss.