Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 02-08-2009, 03:46 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kendrell Bell fits in a 3-4...

HAHAHHAHAAHAHHA... sorry I had to. That was mean.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:22 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why switch to a 3-4? We obviously don't have the personnel to run either system (our D was balls!) but we're tailored closer to a 4-3 right now than anything. Like boe said, Clark probably doesn't want to wait 3 years to get the correct personnel in.

I can see slowly making the transition over the next few years while keeping it mainly 4-3 right now, building the pieces through FA/draft and getting there over a few years, but changing right NOW would be bad, I think. It'd take way too long.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:37 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae-KC View Post
Why switch to a 3-4? We obviously don't have the personnel to run either system (our D was balls!) but we're tailored closer to a 4-3 right now than anything. Like boe said, Clark probably doesn't want to wait 3 years to get the correct personnel in.

I can see slowly making the transition over the next few years while keeping it mainly 4-3 right now, building the pieces through FA/draft and getting there over a few years, but changing right NOW would be bad, I think. It'd take way too long.
That is what me and a couple of other Packer fans on this site first thought. ugh. I think you guys run a 43 base with 34 looks.
PACKmanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I honestly think the hybrid defense is the best way to go. The only way to succesfully transition a defense is slowly. I wish some of the coaches thought that way...
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:51 PM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Why should they stick with the 4-3? The Defense sucks already, so it's not like they'll be losing a lot by making the plunge, the GM has always built a 3-4 D and knows how to do it quite well and the Head Coach has primarily been associated with teams that have also ran a 3-4.

I think as long as you can comfortably find a place for Dorsey in the 3-4, make the change. Regardless of the scheme, a lot of the front 7 will have to be completely rebuilt.

Romeo Crennel has experience making the transition over and he and Pioli know each other very well.
TonyGfortheTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:26 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGfortheTD View Post
Why should they stick with the 4-3? The Defense sucks already, so it's not like they'll be losing a lot by making the plunge, the GM has always built a 3-4 D and knows how to do it quite well and the Head Coach has primarily been associated with teams that have also ran a 3-4.

I think as long as you can comfortably find a place for Dorsey in the 3-4, make the change. Regardless of the scheme, a lot of the front 7 will have to be completely rebuilt.

Romeo Crennel has experience making the transition over and he and Pioli know each other very well.
And we haven't hired a DC yet so all of this is speculation and kind of pointless!

Old 02-08-2009, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We're built for the 4-3, Tamba won't cut it as either a 34 DE or an OLB. Tank is a tweener when you think of the 34, we're not as bad as you guys' say we are. We put Glen Dorsey, the closest thing to a prototypical 3 gap Defensive Tackle as a 1 gap, take on all comers DT. stupid if you ask me. Our run defense improved(yea, it still sucked) but keep in mind that we were hit so hard with injuries that we had Rocky Boiman and Babin starting for us!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:54 PM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And we haven't hired a DC yet so all of this is speculation and kind of pointless!
Not a whole lot of earth shattering news going on right now, so speculation as good as it gets. :/ Ugh offseason.

Right now this Defense really isn't built and primed to run any scheme.
TonyGfortheTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:55 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could see the Chiefs slowly start switching over to a 3-4 but sticking with a 4-3 base for the next year or two. They just don't have the personnel to make the switch this year. Most of the D-Line doesn't fit a 3-4 scheme, and I don't see Hali as a good enough athlete to switch to a 3-4 OLB.

I could see the Chiefs using a pick or two to start bringing in 3-4 personnel if that is the path they choose to take.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:55 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does not look like it will happen with the recent signings for coaches. For that I am damn happy. I do love the hires and think the coaching staff, front office moves sre steps in the right direction. Lets see if it can continue through the draft and with FA signings!
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:29 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I felt Dorsey would be a solid 3-4 NT going into the 2008 draft, but aside from Edwards, no other DLs or LBs fit into that kind of defense at all...
________
Chase_taylor cam

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 06:48 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:58 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

"Breaking News" on NFL Network: Adam Schefter reporting the Chiefs ARE switching to a 3-4 defense.

Unsure what that means but we'll see.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:05 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

oh goddddddddddddd

trade dorsey for a mid to late round 1st? but his ****** yer wont help his value

wtffff i am going awol

EFFING A!
Quote:
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:33 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Is it 100% sure that he can't play the 3-4 NT? Maybe, maybe not. That being said, our LB corp sucks bad so we definitely need to upgrade there. Curry round 1, Larry English round 2?!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:58 PM    (permalink
IndyColtScout
Veteran

IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.

NFL network reports Chiefs are switching to the 3-4.

Like the Broncos, you guys will need some work. I think DJ, Pollard, Page (if he stays), Carr/Flowers will work out in the 3-4. However, I'm not a huge fan of Dorsey or Hali in the 3-4. You guys will get there. Heck, you might just suprise some people.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:01 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyColtScout View Post
NFL network reports Chiefs are switching to the 3-4.

Like the Broncos, you guys will need some work. I think DJ, Pollard, Page (if he stays), Carr/Flowers will work out in the 3-4. However, I'm not a huge fan of Dorsey or Hali in the 3-4. You guys will get there. Heck, you might just suprise some people.
I wouldn't mind seeing a hybrid. :) Wishful thinking.

I like the coaching staff they put together and I trust the decisions being made. I may not like them but I trust them.
Quote:
Old 02-19-2009, 08:28 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I had Dorsey projected as someone who could play NT in a 3-4. But it's the rest of the DL that they'll have problems with. Very undersized.

Brian Johnston can bulk back up to his pre-draft weight, and he'd be a good DE, Turk and Tank would be short DEs, Boone might be able to hold his own at NT, Ron Edwards can play DE, Hali doesn't fit at all... Overall, they're very-much on the short side.

For LB's, Babin, Gilberry, and Studebaker are 3-4 OLBs (not starters). Edwards and DJ are the only guys I'd trust at ILB (and DJ only because he's a star LB).

My thinking for the switch is that the Chiefs think they can get Julius Peppers. It will take a bit of work to get the defensive line updated to where it needs to be to run a 3-4. I'm confident in Dorsey being able to play the nose. Maybe they're thinking Tyson Jackson or Jarron Gilbert in the 2nd round (or both?), and maybe Zach Potter later?

Going 3-4 cripples their ability to get a lot better very quickly, but it could work out for them...
________
ZOLOFT LAWSUIT

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

More wood on the 3-4 fire.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...and-notes.html

"A source close to Romeo Crennel said Tuesday night the former Cleveland head coach and former New England defensive coordinator is not close to joining the Kansas City staff as a defensive coordinator. It is possible, at some point, the source said, that Crennel could join former New England colleague Scott Pioli as a defensive consultant."
Old 02-19-2009, 01:12 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting. You could probably pack a few pounds on McBride, Johnston, and Gilberry and they would have adequate size for a 3-4 DE, but I just don't see any true 3-4 DEs or NTs. I personally don't think Dorsey fits this scheme. What I saw when we drafted him is that he should be put in a gap and allowed to penetrate. I don't see him as being able to command 2-3 blockers every play as a 3-4 down lineman.

I also don't see Tamba Hali fitting in here, and I don't know if these defensive ends that the Chiefs have are athletic enough to be 3-4 linebackers. I would say Donnie Edwards needs to be healthy since he has experience in this system, and I think Derrick Johnson is athletic enough to play the scheme, although I worry about his already shaky consistency.

I'm not sure who Studebacker is, and I don't know where Tank Tyler fits in, although he may have to play the nose until they can find a more suitable one. We got a ton of linebackers and I'm not sure where they fit in, although I do hope this kills the Pollard to LB stuff, since he is most definitely not a 3-4 linebacker. This is a headscratcher, but I'm interested.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:22 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Studebaker projected as a possible 3-4 prospect coming out of college. He's bounced around the league a bit. Again, he's a backup...

Dorsey is certainly able to play the nose. The main ingredients are base and strength. Dorsey is super strong, and has a great base. The only real question with the guy is whether he can get and stay healthy...

Haven't heard the Pollard to LB talks... If they're true, I still wouldn't rule them out. The Pats have been toying with the idea of developing a safety into a 3-4 LB for a few years now. They just about had Tank Williams ready to go last off-season, but he got injured.

The Chiefs would have a lot of work to do to convert to a 3-4, but I'm guessing they're just moving to a 3-4 base, and will switch it up quite a bit.
________
Bondage Webcams

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:34 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Studebaker projected as a possible 3-4 prospect coming out of college. He's bounced around the league a bit. Again, he's a backup...

Dorsey is certainly able to play the nose. The main ingredients are base and strength. Dorsey is super strong, and has a great base. The only real question with the guy is whether he can get and stay healthy...

Haven't heard the Pollard to LB talks... If they're true, I still wouldn't rule them out. The Pats have been toying with the idea of developing a safety into a 3-4 LB for a few years now. They just about had Tank Williams ready to go last off-season, but he got injured.

The Chiefs would have a lot of work to do to convert to a 3-4, but I'm guessing they're just moving to a 3-4 base, and will switch it up quite a bit.
I think Dorsey is most definitely strong enough to play the nose, but is he wide enough? I don't see him being able to consistently take up the 2-3 blockers that will be necessary to run a successful 3-4 scheme.

The Pollard thing has been rolling around as a result of A) His poor pass coverage and B) The cover 2's ability to take oversized safeties and create very fast linebackers out of them. That is essentially what Indianapolis did with Cato June, and people thought the Chiefs might try the same thing with Pollard. I doubt that will happen now that the 3-4 is allegedly being implemented.

I would like to see Pollard put in a Polamalu-esque role, kind of let him rove around a bit. I don't envision him having the same coverage ability, but I think he could play a huge role in run game support and against the short passing game. Actually, Page might be more valuable in that role cause I like his coverage ability, but we would need to take a look at a FS that can cover the Deep 3rd. Didn't see enough of Morgan on defense to know whether he can do it or not.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:49 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
I think Dorsey is most definitely strong enough to play the nose, but is he wide enough? I don't see him being able to consistently take up the 2-3 blockers that will be necessary to run a successful 3-4 scheme.

The Pollard thing has been rolling around as a result of A) His poor pass coverage and B) The cover 2's ability to take oversized safeties and create very fast linebackers out of them. That is essentially what Indianapolis did with Cato June, and people thought the Chiefs might try the same thing with Pollard. I doubt that will happen now that the 3-4 is allegedly being implemented.

I would like to see Pollard put in a Polamalu-esque role, kind of let him rove around a bit. I don't envision him having the same coverage ability, but I think he could play a huge role in run game support and against the short passing game. Actually, Page might be more valuable in that role cause I like his coverage ability, but we would need to take a look at a FS that can cover the Deep 3rd. Didn't see enough of Morgan on defense to know whether he can do it or not.
I think Morgan is the best safety on the roster. Give him the chance and he could be a stud. I love Pollard but he is a SS only. He is atrocious in pass coverage and bites on way to many play actions.
Quote:
Old 02-19-2009, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not saying Dorsey will be a great but no body knows how he will do IF we do go 3-4 or how they even plan on using him I think we all need to relax and see how this plays out before we give up on the kid and start screaming for a trade.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:04 PM    (permalink
Ho0k Em'
Pro Bowler

Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.Ho0k Em' could make a wolverine purr.

I don't think our personnel is that far from making the switch.

DE- Turk
NT- Tank
DE- Dorsey
WOLB- Hali
MLB- DJ
MLB- Curry(assuming he's the pick)
SOLB- uhhhh IDK
Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

The DL's are on the severely short-side. Hali is too unathletic to play LB and not big/strong enough to play 3-4 DE. They don't have any starter-quality guys for OLB in a 3-4...

Lots of work to be done all-around... Main focus for UFA would switch to Chris Canty & Igor Olshansky (and Mike Wright), and a string of hopeful solutions at OLB:
Tully Banta-Cain
Rosey Colvin
Clark Haggans
Darryl Blackstock
Shantee Orr

Most of those guys would come cheap...so maybe it works... The LB's would all be 1-2 year deals on the cheap side and be solid; the DE's would cost a bit more with 3+ year deals and form a defensive line that'd be worth the price...

In the draft, they could still look out for Tyson Jackson and Jarron Gilbert in the 2nd/3rd round, but not feel as pressured to pull the trigger.
________
Avandia lawsuits

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 06:51 AM.