Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:43 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
It goes both ways.

Green bay had a team go to the NFCCG and as soon as the offseason comes up they just constantly had to go into the offseason wondering if he's going to be around.

2 years of "I might, I might not". For the teams sake they shouldn't have to deal with that every offseason if you want to keep the team going.

Atleast in my estimation. Favre played solid but not himself this season.. What was the big deal in having to compete for his job? Rodgers had been in the wings and Favre was going over the hill.

Thompson only pushed him out because Favre kept him hanging every offseason, handcuffing them and not letting them know what he was doing. No consideration for the team on his behalf in my eyes.
There was no reason for the Packers to demand he know. It wasn't going to change a SINGLE THING ABOUT THEIR OFFSEASON. Had the media just let it go and let Favre decide when he decided, there would have been absolutely no distraction. I really don't see how Favre did anything wrong.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:59 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
Even if the situations were comparable, Brett Favre and Michael Jordan aren't comparable.

Brett Favre is just as much to blame for the media circus as the media is. He loves that ****.
Yup. Brett Favre loves being the center of attention. You know it. If you know the least bit about Favre its that hes as humble as anyone. How is he to blame for the circus?
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
How often was he in the media before the last few years? His painkiller addiction. You never heard from him. The media is much more to blame. I've met Favre twice, once was when my grandpa golfed with him(I ended up spending the entire round 3+ hours with him), and then again the next year. He was an incredibly nice guy, the media has focused so much on him that people have just gotten sick of it.
Exactly. Thank you.

Last edited by tjsunstein : 02-12-2009 at 01:37 PM.
tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:03 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's partly to blame for this circus.;

A) When he retired last year, he claims that GB rushed him to a decision. Well then ok, tell them that you're not quite sure if your decision is final. And if he had the itch to come back, why the **** did he wait until June to say so? He had all offseason to talk to GB about getting a trade or working something out but he waited til a month before Training Camp.

B) This was the 2nd or 3rd straight offseason where he played the "well I don't know if I'm coming back or not" crap which put GB in a bind each year not knowing what he was going to do.

C) I agree that the media is a culprit in this but Favre was not shy about talking to them whenever they asked, yea I'm sure he hates the spotlight.

Brett's not solely to blame on this but he did make this out to be a circus. And from what I read about him and the Jets this past year, it makes me think that even moreso.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:04 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And through it all, statistically Rodgers had a better season than Brett, as did Pennington.

Quote:
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:10 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
The Packer's forced him out the door. There was no reason he couldn't take his time and decide. They didn't need to find a successor, they already had him on the roster. What Favre did wasn't going to change the Packer's offseason, so there was no reason for TT to force him into a choice.
The Packers "forced him out the door?" What the hell do you expect them to do? They made the choice to go with Rodgers instead of waiting for Brett to make a damn decision. And they granted him his wish to play elsewhere after both parties agreed it was best for each other.

Regardless of the player I'm not going to wait for a guy to make a decision year, after year, after year....The Packers couldn't wait any longer so they made a choice, the right choice.

Comparing Brett to MJ was ridiculous. Michael went to Reinsdorf his first time and said he just didn't think he had it left in him to play at that point, he never left the team in "limbo" like Favre did. Retired for 2 years and then came back to the organization and said that he wanted to play again. Same thing happened his 2nd time with Washington. And MJ actually formally retired, twice. Brett never did.

Michael retired because he felt that he didn't have anything "to prove" any more, he didn't have the drive he once did. That's why he did it. I just don't see at all how these two situations are comparable.

Quote:
Old 02-12-2009, 03:25 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
He's partly to blame for this circus.;

A) When he retired last year, he claims that GB rushed him to a decision. Well then ok, tell them that you're not quite sure if your decision is final. And if he had the itch to come back, why the **** did he wait until June to say so? He had all offseason to talk to GB about getting a trade or working something out but he waited til a month before Training Camp.
Do you need to read up on the whole story again? He was told he had to make a decision, and like anyone who is rushed into a decision he made a rash one. He probably convinced himself that it was the right decision weeks after he made it and then took the organization up on the word that he would be able to compete for the job. Obviously, the team had moved on without him and by the time Brett wanted to come back, it was mid training camp, around the time that his head was wrapped up in football every year.
B) This was the 2nd or 3rd straight offseason where he played the "well I don't know if I'm coming back or not" crap which put GB in a bind each year not knowing what he was going to do.
Crap? lol. Yeah, considering retirement is crap. Remember he hasn't missed a game in 16 years and has played through multiple injuries. Is it wrong to reconsider such a physical profession at the age of 37? Just like anyone else in the league, he had the right to take his time.
C) I agree that the media is a culprit in this but Favre was not shy about talking to them whenever they asked, yea I'm sure he hates the spotlight.
Did you want him to say "next question?" He answered what was directed at him, like you will to this post.
Brett's not solely to blame on this but he did make this out to be a circus. And from what I read about him and the Jets this past year, it makes me think that even moreso.
And that would be the media's influence.
It isnt wrong to form your own opinion rather than following the media's image drawn. I'm not just directing that statement to you, sweetness, but much of the board.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Crap? lol. Yeah, considering retirement is crap. Remember he hasn't missed a game in 16 years and has played through multiple injuries. Is it wrong to reconsider such a physical profession at the age of 37? Just like anyone else in the league, he had the right to take his time.
yea but does he have to make a big fuss about it every year? Think about it at home, dont go out say: hey lets play a game, do i retire or not? lets take a guess!

Quote:
Did you want him to say "next question?" He answered what was directed at him, like you will to this post.
This answer doesnt contradict the thing sweetness means. He couldve said "next question", alot of others do. Or just dont make a big fuss about it, i mean everyone is thinking about retirement. Dan Marino did, Peyton is going to. I bet no one is gonna have that much fuss, maybe tom Brady but i cant see it. You need to hands to clap.

Quote:
And that would be the media's influence.
Parts of what is read are things his teammates stated. so no its not always the media

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:45 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
yea but does he have to make a big fuss about it every year? Think about it at home, dont go out say: hey lets play a game, do i retire or not? lets take a guess!
That was the media's doing. They made a game of it. He came out and said that he needed time to think about his future, what's the crime in that?

Quote:
This answer doesnt contradict the thing sweetness means. He couldve said "next question", alot of others do. Or just dont make a big fuss about it, i mean everyone is thinking about retirement. Dan Marino did, Peyton is going to. I bet no one is gonna have that much fuss, maybe tom Brady but i cant see it. You need to hands to clap.
So you're pretty much angry at Favre answering questions, and not just that but angry he answered them truthfully.

Quote:
Parts of what is read are things his teammates stated. so no its not always the media
Are you talking about seperating himself in the locker room? If you are, I addressed that this thread.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
That was the media's doing. They made a game of it. He came out and said that he needed time to think about his future, what's the crime in that?
Nothing. But he went to the press over and over again. Kinda makes u think.

Quote:
So you're pretty much angry at Favre answering questions, and not just that but angry he answered them truthfully.
Im not angry. im just saying that kinda created the controversy in the first place. why do it then? prolly because he liked to answer the questions to the media

Quote:
Are you talking about seperating himself in the locker room? If you are, I addressed that this thread.
nah i dont know what he is talking about, but not everything the media says is like invented. u got interviews from all sort of sources. just wanted to point out that the media isnt like creating everything. i dont quite know what sweetness meant in the first place

Old 02-12-2009, 04:10 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
Nothing. But he went to the press over and over again. Kinda makes u think.
Quote:
Im not angry. im just saying that kinda created the controversy in the first place. why do it then? prolly because he liked to answer the questions to the media
Someone that high profile isn't going to keep quiet very long. In a way, it is his fault. Shame on him for playing himself up to a high profile.

Quote:
nah i dont know what he is talking about, but not everything the media says is like invented. u got interviews from all sort of sources. just wanted to point out that the media isnt like creating everything. i dont quite know what sweetness meant in the first place
Of course not all media is based on speculation and blowing up one quote. But they usually down play the most important facts to make the story more appealing.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Someone that high profile isn't going to keep quiet very long. In a way, it is his fault. Shame on him for playing himself up to a high profile.
Hey and thats all that people critize him for, so whats the problem? :D

Quote:
Of course not all media is based on speculation and blowing up one quote. But they usually down play the most important facts to make the story more appealing.
yea usually, but cant say: Its the media, cant be right. U have to filter everything u hear.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:59 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Packers "forced him out the door?" What the hell do you expect them to do? They made the choice to go with Rodgers instead of waiting for Brett to make a damn decision. And they granted him his wish to play elsewhere after both parties agreed it was best for each other.

Regardless of the player I'm not going to wait for a guy to make a decision year, after year, after year....The Packers couldn't wait any longer so they made a choice, the right choice.

Comparing Brett to MJ was ridiculous. Michael went to Reinsdorf his first time and said he just didn't think he had it left in him to play at that point, he never left the team in "limbo" like Favre did. Retired for 2 years and then came back to the organization and said that he wanted to play again. Same thing happened his 2nd time with Washington. And MJ actually formally retired, twice. Brett never did.

Michael retired because he felt that he didn't have anything "to prove" any more, he didn't have the drive he once did. That's why he did it. I just don't see at all how these two situations are comparable.
HOW DID HE PUT THE PACKERS IN A BIND?!!?!?!?!? You haven't answered that yet. They didn't need to get a new QB they had Rodgers. The offseason wasn't going to change regardless of whether or not Favre was playing.

The only point I made was they played with different teams to end their career, and both of them had worse than their typical seasons with them. No, MJ getting in gambling trouble and quitting to play baseball is NOTHING compared to what Favre did. MJ was never a distraction or a bad teammate. It was MJ who said, "There's no 'I' in team, but there is in win." Regardless, his reputation isn't tarnished, and neither will Favre's.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
HOW DID HE PUT THE PACKERS IN A BIND?!!?!?!?!? You haven't answered that yet. They didn't need to get a new QB they had Rodgers. The offseason wasn't going to change regardless of whether or not Favre was playing.
It wasnt about getting a new qb, it was about commitment. If they had commited to Favre, u really think Rodgers wouldve resigned? Therefore he wouldve forced them to get a new QB after he retired after they already have one in place. going to a guy and telling him: your the guy! and then just break ur words is really not a great thing to do.

Quote:
The only point I made was they played with different teams to end their career, and both of them had worse than their typical seasons with them. No, MJ getting in gambling trouble and quitting to play baseball is NOTHING compared to what Favre did. MJ was never a distraction or a bad teammate. It was MJ who said, "There's no 'I' in team, but there is in win." Regardless, his reputation isn't tarnished, and neither will Favre's.
There is still the difference in the length of the retiring which is the whole point of the discussion. Favre never retired and still caused so many problems

Old 02-12-2009, 05:40 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It wasnt about getting a new qb, it was about commitment. If they had commited to Favre, u really think Rodgers wouldve resigned? Therefore he wouldve forced them to get a new QB after he retired after they already have one in place. going to a guy and telling him: your the guy! and then just break ur words is really not a great thing to do.

There is still the difference in the length of the retiring which is the whole point of the discussion. Favre never retired and still caused so many problems
Rodgers resigned before this year. He was locked up for 3 years. He knew he was the guy when Favre left, there were no promises made. Favre didn't have a decision yet, and TT forced him to make up his mind.

Yes, MJ going to the Birmingham Barons didn't cause the Bulls ANY problems...
Old 02-12-2009, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
Rodgers resigned before this year. He was locked up for 3 years. He knew he was the guy when Favre left, there were no promises made. Favre didn't have a decision yet, and TT forced him to make up his mind.

Yes, MJ going to the Birmingham Barons didn't cause the Bulls ANY problems...
Wasnt Rodgers contract gonna run out after next season?

and well MJ said he is going to retire AND THEN played baseball. Whatever he did after his retirement is his thing isnt it? how did that cause any problems?

Old 02-12-2009, 05:48 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Wasnt Rodgers contract gonna run out after next season?

and well MJ said he is going to retire AND THEN played baseball. Whatever he did after his retirement is his thing isnt it? how did that cause any problems?
I thought it was gonna run out after the season after, but I could be wrong. Regardless, he would have been offered an extension.

The reasons behind the retirement are what caused the problems, the whole gambling thing...
Old 02-12-2009, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
I thought it was gonna run out after the season after, but I could be wrong. Regardless, he would have been offered an extension.
U really think, that he would sign an extension?

Quote:
The reasons behind the retirement are what caused the problems, the whole gambling thing...
yea but that means that the problems didnt have to do with the retirment, so i dont see ur connection

Old 02-12-2009, 06:00 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
U really think, that he would sign an extension?

yea but that means that the problems didnt have to do with the retirment, so i dont see ur connection
Of course, he knew he had the starting job when Favre left, he would have gotten paid good money, and it would extend his career. He would be stupid not to.

My only point was that Favre didn't tarnish his legacy anymore than Jordan did. That is the absolute only thing I said in this thread.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
Of course, he knew he had the starting job when Favre left, he would have gotten paid good money, and it would extend his career. He would be stupid not to.
he couldve gotten good money somewhere else, prolly a lot more just like a starting job. The bigger problem wouldve been the fact that he had to sit so many years, who couldve known how many more years he wouldve to sit. i dont really think he wouldve resigned,

Quote:
My only point was that Favre didn't tarnish his legacy anymore than Jordan did. That is the absolute only thing I said in this thread.
The fact that we are talking about it, is prove that both are tarnished. obviously the favre thing is blown out of proportion atm, but its not like its gonna be a big deal

Old 02-12-2009, 06:57 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
he couldve gotten good money somewhere else, prolly a lot more just like a starting job. The bigger problem wouldve been the fact that he had to sit so many years, who couldve known how many more years he wouldve to sit. i dont really think he wouldve resigned,

The fact that we are talking about it, is prove that both are tarnished. obviously the favre thing is blown out of proportion atm, but its not like its gonna be a big deal
He would have gotten starter level money from the Packers. It would be ridiculous for him to sign somewhere else. He would have gotten paid by the Pack, would have kept his body out of the firing line, and that would mean he would be able to have a longer career and make more money, at the expense of sitting another year or two. He would have signed anyway.

Exactly, that means his legacy isn't tarnished. No one really remember Jordan with the Wizards or the Barons. The people born after MJ retired won't ever even hear about it, just like the people born after Favre retires won't ever hear about it, they will just hear how he was a great QB.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:

When he said he was coming back, that's when he put them in a bind. They made up their minds to go with Rodgers, then he told Mort or whoever that he wanted to play again A MONTH BEFORE TRAINING CAMP. Favre had all that time to enter talks with the Packers and get things cleared up, but instead, he decided to wait until June to say anything and that's how this entire thing was started.

And before you start saying "well you're a Bears fan, your view is clouded." I respect what Favre did on the football field, I hate the guy because he killed us but I respect him as a football player so this isn't just a Bears fan hating on him.

At the end of the day though, it didn't matter. He had a great start to the year and then completely tanked. Miami made a killing with Pennington, Rodgers had a great season for a rookie QB experience wise, and Favre is now retiring after one average season with the Jets.

The fact you're even trying to compare this to Jordan's retirement is pretty hilarious IMHO because they are not similar. Not once did Jordan every hold his team on the fence with his decision year, after year, after year.

Do I think GB regrets how they handled it? Nope, because statistically Rodgers had the better year, and with all their injuries I doubt even "Lord Favre" could've turned that ship around this year. Do I think the Jets regret trading for him? Yes I do. Improved OL, good running game, good receivers, and a solid defense and Favre's play knocked them out of the playoffs down the stretch. Jones and Rhodes turned on Brett at the end of the year and then there were stories about him dressing in other rooms and stuff like that, isolating himself from the team.

I truly, truly hope Brett is done because if this crap happens again this year, I will have lost all respect for that man. He's now retired for the 2nd straight year, and quite frankly I don't think he has what it takes to play in this league anymore at the level he wants to be able to.

And I find it funny that you pinpoint me as being a Bear fan in this, well aren't you a Packer fan? How are you unbiased in all this? Of course I'm not but don't call me out when you're basically in the same situation, I guarantee Favre was your favorite player in GB and you still love the guy.

Quote:
Old 02-12-2009, 07:20 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

I don't think he has "tarnished" his image but if he decides to pull the same stunt again this year, I think his image will start to be tarnished.

Quote:
Old 02-12-2009, 07:21 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bah. Make it stop.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:25 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Bah. Make it stop.
Hahaha yea I'm in agreement, that was my last post in this thread probably. It's beating a dead horse either way.

Quote:
Old 02-12-2009, 08:25 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
When he said he was coming back, that's when he put them in a bind. They made up their minds to go with Rodgers, then he told Mort or whoever that he wanted to play again A MONTH BEFORE TRAINING CAMP. Favre had all that time to enter talks with the Packers and get things cleared up, but instead, he decided to wait until June to say anything and that's how this entire thing was started.

And before you start saying "well you're a Bears fan, your view is clouded." I respect what Favre did on the football field, I hate the guy because he killed us but I respect him as a football player so this isn't just a Bears fan hating on him.

At the end of the day though, it didn't matter. He had a great start to the year and then completely tanked. Miami made a killing with Pennington, Rodgers had a great season for a rookie QB experience wise, and Favre is now retiring after one average season with the Jets.

The fact you're even trying to compare this to Jordan's retirement is pretty hilarious IMHO because they are not similar. Not once did Jordan every hold his team on the fence with his decision year, after year, after year.

Do I think GB regrets how they handled it? Nope, because statistically Rodgers had the better year, and with all their injuries I doubt even "Lord Favre" could've turned that ship around this year. Do I think the Jets regret trading for him? Yes I do. Improved OL, good running game, good receivers, and a solid defense and Favre's play knocked them out of the playoffs down the stretch. Jones and Rhodes turned on Brett at the end of the year and then there were stories about him dressing in other rooms and stuff like that, isolating himself from the team.

I truly, truly hope Brett is done because if this crap happens again this year, I will have lost all respect for that man. He's now retired for the 2nd straight year, and quite frankly I don't think he has what it takes to play in this league anymore at the level he wants to be able to.

And I find it funny that you pinpoint me as being a Bear fan in this, well aren't you a Packer fan? How are you unbiased in all this? Of course I'm not but don't call me out when you're basically in the same situation, I guarantee Favre was your favorite player in GB and you still love the guy.
Do you still not get my point about MJ? He had a subpar season after he came out of retirement. Just like Favre. That was my only comparison. You are the one who jumped all over it.

The Packers FORCED HIM INTO RETIREMENT! TT forced him in, he wasn't ready, but they made the decision for him. Thats why he tried to come back.

Favre had a shoulder injury, and if not for his streak, I doubt he would have continued playing. I think Favre was worth at least 3 points a game, that would have gotten the Packers 5-6 more wins. That would have been enough for the playoffs.

I've never once claimed I am unbiased, but to say that he tarnished his image is ridiculous. Great players are always doing things like this, they always hang on too long. Look at Rice in Seattle, or countless others. The Packers forced his hand, that is what happened. It was obvious from his press conference that he didn't want to be done. Could he have handled it better? Of course, but i think TT holds much more responsibility than Favre in this situation.