Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 02-13-2009, 01:32 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Linebacker Situation going forward and how it relates to next years draft.

I think, far and away, the most polarizing thing at the moment as far as the Patriots draft goes is the linebacker situation. Some people, myself included, think we need an outside guy while others feel that's ignoring a glaring need inside. Some people don't feel we need a linebacker at all and that we refreshed our core enough last year.

I really don't understand why people feel inside linebacker is such a big need. It pretty much boils down to where you see Vrabel playing going forward. Personally, I see him and Thomas alternating at the inside spot along with Mayo. Both of them have proved to be more than capable playing the inside spot in years past. Vrabel did it for a whole year back in the McGinest/Colvin year(s). He really lost a step the past couple years and isn't an effective pass rusher anymore. He put up big time sack numbers a couple of year ago, but after that he really seemed to run out of gas. He's better of playing inside and he's pretty damned good at that spot as well. Thomas is more than capable of playing any spot at linebacker, and he'll get some time there as well. He was having a really great year before he lost him to injury playing predominantly outside though, so I think we should put him there until he proves he can't rush the passer anymore. There's a slight chance that neither work out playing outside too.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm not willing to put any faith into the young guys we picked up last year. Redd is a great physical talent and I was pumped about landing him, but he looked real raw in limited playing time last year. He has a chance to get better as the years go by, but he hasn't showed much of anything that would make me trust him yet. Crable is sort of the same way. He's a guy who could end up being really, really good for us. He was a monster his senior year at Michigan and was really underrated going into last years draft. Still think he end sup being a steal for us in the long run, but I wouldn't put any faith into him either. Pierre Woods kind of is what he is. Pretty good special teams/backup guy, but I don't expect him to develop into starting material for us ever and I would be really uncomfortable if we were throwing him out there. Darrell Robertson is another name that gets tossed out there a lot, but he's not Gary Guyton and he got cut from a CFL team. Not sure I would count on him being around for very much longer at all.

So assuming we slide Vrabel inside, and I think we will, we're left with one or perhaps two holes outside at the position and the need for a definitive starter to go along with the good depth we've built up. I would love for Crable to step up and be the guy, but we can't count on an internal solution. In my opinion, we really need to pick up an outside pass rusher. The pickings are fairly slim in this years draft, at least at where we're selecting right now. There's a couple guys in this draft that project to the position excellently, and the depth really isn't bad, but the talent level at the top makes it worth it to pick a guy early.

Everette Brown is far and away the best OLB prospect in the draft as far as the 3-4 goes. He has an ungodly first step to go along with his uncanny ability to get off the snap perfectly. You'll rarely see an FSU play where he wasn't in the backfield. He isn't very stout at the point of attack and he can be held up if it comes down to a battle of strength, but he's pretty fast and can be extremely slippery when guys try to lock on. The unfortunate part in all of this is that other teams know this. He's probably going to be a top ten pick, certainly gone by fifteen should he fail to hit that mark.

Aaron Maybin the the consensus number two, but I'm not overly impressed with him. He's raw from both a physical and a technical standpoint. Great burst, speed, and overall athleticism...but he doesn't have a hell of a lot else going for him. From what I've seen of him, he doesn't have the explosive first step of Everette Brown nor the ability to get off the snap. He's also extremely small. He's listed at 235 and probably isn't much more than that. He NEEDS to get stronger if he plans on making his name rushing the passer. Might be a better candidate to play SAM in a 4-3, but he's being looked at as a 3-4 outside linebacker right now. If he's there, he wouldn't be a bad project pick...but personally I wouldn't be overly thrilled.

The next guy down the list I would want to look at is Larry English. Nasty demeanor and excellent natural pass rush skills would make him an attractive pick. He's not quite in the same caliber of athlete as Everette Brown or Maybin, but he's an absolute sack artist who has an absolutely relentless motor and loves to hit. Gets great penetration and has an advanced pass rush arsenal to get off of blockers. He probably projects to the 3-4 about as well as Brown. Really exemplifies the tweener position and should thrive playing standing up. The best part of English is that he might be there when we pick. I've seen him go as high as 15 in mocks, but that's probably a bit high for him and he has a good chance of being there at 23. If he's there, I really think we should snatch him up and run with it.

Sintim is also a nice candidate to consider. I was higher on him before the Senior Bowl. I had him on my list of guys I was expecting to blow up in that setting, but he really kind of disappointed. There's still a lot to like about him though. He's a decent all around athlete who has played in the 3-4 his entire college career and really came into his own as a pass rusher his senior year. He's smart and instinctive, which is a plus. Another thing he really has going for him is that he has the ability to play multiple positions. If he doesn't work out as a pass rusher/ ILB becomes a bigger need, Sintim could probably do that. He's not the best in coverage and he looks slightly awkward there, but he should get better there when he isn't asked to get into the backfield ever play...which he's pretty damned good at. Strong pass rush skills and him being a pretty damned good athlete should get him plenty of pressures and sacks.

Cushing wouldn't be a bad option to consider either. Cushing had the senior year people wanted him to have and starting living up to his billing as an elite talent. I would still be slightly concerned about his injury history, but there's a lot to like. He's a great athlete with good speed and absolutely disgusting strength. Passes the eyeball test in a major way. The guy is built like a brick shithouse. Another thing to like is that he could probably play any position in our scheme due to his days playing elephant at USC, but I really think he would be at his best playing inside. Despite that, his pass rush skills are relatively limited and I wouldn't expect him to be anything special in that category. He's really gotten better with coverage though, far enough that I would say that's a strength. With that being said, I would be a bit disappointed if we were to take Cush.

A guy I'm pretty enthusiastic about is Clay Matthews. Matthews sort of has a bit of English in him in that he's nasty and plays the game with a mean streak. He can really hit if you give him a good angle and despite being a bit undersized at a listed 240, shouldn't have any problem getting off blocks or stopping the run. He's not a real good athlete, but he's good enough to make use of his motor and pass rush skills to be a penetrator. The downside is that he has limited experience and he's probably become a bit overrated at this point. It might take a first round pick to land him and that's probably a round too high for him. He's a favorite of mine though, and I think he would fit right in with our team culture and could really maximize his potential here and be a damned productive player for us.

Connor Barwin is another guy that gets tossed around for us, but he's not really my type of player. Barwin is an impressive athlete and has the right size to play the position, but he's also in the Maybin league as far as being raw goes. As many know, he played tight end until his senior year, which gets the Vrabel label tossed around a bit unjustly. This gives him a lot of room to develop and probably a ton of upside, but it also kind of scares me a bit. He mostly gets by on pure athleticism and doesn't have a whole lot else at the moment. He can probably be pretty good with the right coaching, but he's a project. Personally, I don't think we can wait around for a guy like that to develop. One of the good things about Barwin is that he might only cost us a third round pick, but I wouldn't count on him being there and I think OLB needs to be addressed earlier than that.

As far as the inside linebacker situation goes, it would be nice to pickup a bit of depth at that position, if for nothing more than to let Bruschi finally retire in peace, but that can be addressed on the second day. We hit on Mayo. We hit in a major way. There's also the Gary Guyton factor. Out of all the guys we drafted/signed last year, Guyton learned the defense the quickest. He's also a really great athlete and he really showed some great things for us last year in limited duty. Wouldn't be surprised to see him starting for us at some point next year if injury calls for it. Having those guys gives us a bit of flexibility. We don't need to go for the rangy, athletic, good in coverage type. We can go with a thumper in the Ted Johnson mold and those really aren't all that difficult to find. There's a couple guys I think that could fill that role quite nicely for us. One thing I would like to get out of the way though; the talk about James Laurinaitis, Darry Beckwith, Dannell Ellerbe or any other undersized type guy is a bit stupid. We don't need speed(would be nice though..) Those guys all struggle to get off blocks and would struggle in a 3-4. It's really puzzling to me to hear people talk about them and give them to us in mocks. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Rey Maualuga would be the ideal guy, but he's most likely going to be gone before our first round pick and certainly won't be there when I think we'll be looking for a inside compliment. There's a couple guys that I think we should take a hard look at come the third round and the subsequent ones later though.

Jaspar Brinkley would be a great land for us. I would be absolutely pumped if we somehow managed to get him. He's coming off a pretty major injury a few years ago, but if not for that injury he probably would have been one of the top inside linebackers selected last year. He's massive and really, really strong. Stout at the point of attack and he doesn't have any problems at all shedding blockers. In coverage, he looks awkward at times, but it shouldn't be a major issue going forward if you manage him smartly in that role. There's a few pretty major concerns though. He hasn't looked like the same player since his knee injury. He's lost a step as far as speed goes and doesn't seem as quick to the ball as he once did. This might just all be part of the recovery process, but speed is a bit of a question at this point. There's also the size. He played at 270+ last year, and in my opinion, that's too heavy for him. He needs to shed about ten pounds. That could help with the quickness issue going forward as well. With proper conditioning and providing his knee holds up, I can see him being a real valuable asset to our linebacking core and a stater for years along size Mayo.

Antonio Appleby out of Virginia is another guy I would want to take a look at. He's another linebacker who played in the 3-4 in college and shouldn't have much of a problem projecting to that position in the pros. He's kind of suffering from a case of being overshadowed by Sintim and has really become very underrated. He's a great run stuffer and doesn't have much of a problem getting off blocks. From the limited amount I've seen, he leaves a bit to be desired in coverage. You can't knock his experience playing the position though, and he could end up starting for a 3-4 team somewhere down the line.

Overall, what was once the strength of our team is kinda of developing into a bit of a weakness for us. We're getting a bit of youth injected in terms of depth, but we also need to pickup a bit more of a sure thing talent-wise. We need to invest some resources into the position(s) before Thomas and Vrabel start to decline and I think that should be done very early in next years draft.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:28 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think it matters whether they draft an inside guy or outside guy because of the versatility they have in the guys already on the team. Vrabel, Thomas, and Crable can all play either OLB or ILB. Pierre Woods looked very good and creates depth along with Bruschi, Redd, and Guyton (another guy that can play either LB spot). I think they just need to add one more young guy to the mix who has a higher percentage chance to stick.

I've completely given up on the Pats ever drafting a UVA guy. They passed on Blackstock and Brooks. Parham didn't workout at all...I was super-pumped that they got him, and he just couldn't cut it. I think that was a "see why now?" from Belichick to all the people who moaned over him passing on Blackstock multiple times.

I don't see the Pats drafting Brinkley. They tend to not mess with prospects who don't take care of themselves. Brinkley's not in terrible shape, but there's no excuse for a linebacker to be 275lbs... There's far too much for a LB to learn when they come to the Pats, they can't afford to also teach them how to eat and workout... That's just a prerequisite to becoming a Patriot.

I could see the Pats drafting Laurinaitis in the 2nd round. He'd be a good fit as long as he didn't have to start right away. He's certainly big enough, he just needs to be taught better technique.

If the Pats can get Matthews at 48, that'd be my ideal pick...but he's likely going to be overdrafted. I think Matthews can play OLB in a 3-4 and eventually move to ILB.

I don't think Cushing will fall to 23, but he'd be tempting. He's the same as Crable & Vrabel - can play inside or outside in the 3-4 and is just an versatile overall player.

Maualuga would be a huge steal if he fell to 23... Instantly pairs with Mayo for the next 5+ years. If he's there, it's a bit of a no-brainer.

English reminds me a bit of Lamar Woodley, but I still don't like him in the first round.
________
BUY GLASS BONGS

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 06:45 AM.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:23 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I don't think it matters whether they draft an inside guy or outside guy because of the versatility they have in the guys already on the team. Vrabel, Thomas, and Crable can all play either OLB or ILB. Pierre Woods looked very good and creates depth along with Bruschi, Redd, and Guyton (another guy that can play either LB spot). I think they just need to add one more young guy to the mix who has a higher percentage chance to stick.
We do have pretty good versatility and I that is a plus. Crable hasn't proved to me he can play inside yet though, Redd similarly hasn't convinced me yet. Maybe they can, but they haven't seen enough action at the position. Guyton is a guy I'm really, really high on. I think he's a starter pretty soon for us, but only at ILB. He's waaaaaay too small to play outside in the NFL. Nowhere near strong enough. I'm sure he could spell there a bit, but it wouldn't be a good idea to keep him there for very long.

Quote:
I've completely given up on the Pats ever drafting a UVA guy. They passed on Blackstock and Brooks. Parham didn't workout at all...I was super-pumped that they got him, and he just couldn't cut it. I think that was a "see why now?" from Belichick to all the people who moaned over him passing on Blackstock multiple times.
That is a good point, but I think that it would come down to a player to player thing. Sintim is a bit more legit than any of the other UVA linebackers to come out. Appleby kinda shows a bit of the problems the others had coming out, but it might be worst it considering he might only cost a 5th round pick.

Quote:
I don't see the Pats drafting Brinkley. They tend to not mess with prospects who don't take care of themselves. Brinkley's not in terrible shape, but there's no excuse for a linebacker to be 275lbs... There's far too much for a LB to learn when they come to the Pats, they can't afford to also teach them how to eat and workout... That's just a prerequisite to becoming a Patriot.
We'll have to see how he weighs in. He was a great player at around that weight a couple years ago. I'm interested to see how he can workout because if he's healthy he could be an absolute steal for us.

Quote:
I could see the Pats drafting Laurinaitis in the 2nd round. He'd be a good fit as long as he didn't have to start right away. He's certainly big enough, he just needs to be taught better technique.
He might be big enough, but he's among the worst linebackers in the draft as far as taking on blocks go. He hasn't done anything to show he can handle it in college in a 4-3, let alone in the NFL playing a 3-4. I think it's just too much of an issue for him to overcome and he would be much better served playing for a team where he can roam around a bit more. We would be similarly better served passing on him.

Quote:
If the Pats can get Matthews at 48, that'd be my ideal pick...but he's likely going to be overdrafted. I think Matthews can play OLB in a 3-4 and eventually move to ILB.
I kinda wouldn't mind picking Matthews with our first. He wouldn't be worth it, but he fits our scheme extremely well.

Quote:
I don't think Cushing will fall to 23, but he'd be tempting. He's the same as Crable & Vrabel - can play inside or outside in the 3-4 and is just an versatile overall player.
He's versatile and will be productive, but I would prefer to get a stronger pass rusher than Cush. Good athlete though, and his stock is rising. He also projects pretty decent to what we like to do around here.

Quote:
Maualuga would be a huge steal if he fell to 23... Instantly pairs with Mayo for the next 5+ years. If he's there, it's a bit of a no-brainer.
He's the one inside guy I could see us taking if he's there. Most don't see him getting by the Chargers though. If he did, then I might be all for it.

Quote:
English reminds me a bit of Lamar Woodley, but I still don't like him in the first round.
Why not haha? A Lamar Woodley type would be great to have around.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-13-2009, 09:42 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great break down, thanks!

Considering their ages I guess it is probably best to assume Vrabel and Thomas need to be moved inside. Vrabel immediately and Thomas over another year or two. Which means that the second inside spot should be adequately covered, and your thoughts on a later round guy or even FA over the next season or two sound pretty solid.

So it looks like the best value available at the 23 spot will likely be OLB unless Maualuga were somehow to fall.

Which probably means the Pats are certain to take the TE instead. :D

Any guy descibed as a "Woodley type" sounds great to me. I wanted the Pats to get him in 07. 46 overall . . . they could have pulled something off. Merriweather & Woodley. Would have been one hell of a draft just with those two.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:44 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All I know is Pierre Woods, Gary Guyton are stop gaps. Not answers. Crable MAY be an answer down the road. Mayo is a beast. Vrable, Bruschi and Thomas are all over 32. I really don't see an area on that D that is not an issue other than the front line. Ony issues the front line have are health and contracts comming up.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:47 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
All I know is Pierre Woods, Gary Guyton are stop gaps. Not answers. Crable MAY be an answer down the road. Mayo is a beast. Vrable, Bruschi and Thomas are all over 32. I really don't see an area on that D that is not an issue other than the front line. Ony issues the front line have are health and contracts comming up.
I agree. We're still good on D, but we need to invest some serious resources into getting younger. I doubt it all falls apart though. It's looked like it would before, but our front office and BB are very good at keeping things together.

I wouldn't say that about Guyton just yet. The guy picked up our defense so fast last year and really looked good in coverage and roaming around stopping the run. He's probably the second most quickest linebacker on our roster outside of Mayo. I wasn't optimistic about him after he went undrafted, but he's really developing into a guy who might be able to start at some point in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post

Any guy descibed as a "Woodley type" sounds great to me. I wanted the Pats to get him in 07. 46 overall . . . they could have pulled something off. Merriweather & Woodley. Would have been one hell of a draft just with those two.
I wanted him bad as well :(

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-13-2009, 09:53 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree on Guyton. The guy looked great for a UFA last year and can't be written of just yet. He may develop into a solid player, and considering how good Mayo is it's safe to say Guyton would only need to become a solid compliment.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:58 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

One guy I didn't mention but kind of like as a sleeper pick later in the draft is Victor Butler out of Oregon State. He's extremely undersized, even to play OLB, but he's a great pass rusher who would probably do a lot of damage standing up. He needs to put on at least ten pounds though. Pretty underrated right now though. I only saw him play once or twice last year. If anyone has any info on him, I would appreciate it.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-13-2009, 10:10 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

So if Maualuga falls to 23 (or 22 :)) would you prefer him over any of the OLB prospects? Too good to pass up even if you really see OLB as a bigger need, right?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:20 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
So if Maualuga falls to 23 (or 22 :)) would you prefer him over any of the OLB prospects? Too good to pass up even if you really see OLB as a bigger need, right?
Eh. It depends on how you see Maualuga and who else is there. I'm personally not the biggest fan of him in the world but I think he's a hell of a lot better than he's given credit for. Worth a top fifteen pick, for sure. Would he be worth it for us? Not completely sure. If Larry English is there, I would prefer him.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-13-2009, 10:26 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm starting to think now that if Larry English is available at 23 he will be the pick for now. I like the thought of someone like a Cushing or Sintim but overall I would say the biggest need is to simply get someone to rush the passer. Down the line versatility would be massive but as of now getting someone to take over from Vrabel, whether he goes inside or not im not sure, is imperative.
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:44 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personally I feel as though Sintim could very well be the pick at 23 (or 22 would be nice :) ). He played so well in the 3-4 in college, and the senior bowl they ran the 4-3 which kind of puts him ouyt of position and takes away from his strength of rushing the passer. I feel as though after the combine his stock will rise back to the first round, plus actual gametape in a scheme is more important than one week at the senior bowl.

Like others have said, it basically depends on which prospect fall, and who the coaching staff/scouting department likes. If they fall in love with an OLB, then Vrable moves inside, if they fall in love with an ILB then Vrable stays outside.
Guyton is a very athletic LB steal from the UDFA, and looked pretty good for the most part in our defense last year. But let's be honest, there were some times when he looked lost out ont he field. I think he will be a stud for our defense at some point in the future; the coaches rave about him, he works hard, and is a good football player.

As far as Vince Redd and Shawn Crable go, they are both more of a project type of player. Redd won the scout team/practice player of the week award almost every week last year, which has to impress the coaches. It is going to take time for these players to get adjusted to the NFL (Guyton included). This much was known going into the year, and very few people had actual expectations of them putting up double digit sack numbers as rookies.

Overall, the strength of the defense remains to be the front 3. Seymour and Wilfork are up for contracts next year, and as much as I hate to say it, Seymour may be the odd-man out. Wilfork is younger, and plays a position that is tougher to replace. There have been some injections of youth into the defense (Meriweather, Wilhite, Wheatley in the secondary; Mayo, Guyton, Crable, Redd in the LB corps). More needs to be done, but I don't know if it needs to be used in the first round for any position. The sleeper picks will be TE (ugh), WR, and DL (DE).
Old 02-13-2009, 10:44 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Thomas is up there in age but we have to figure we get a few more years out of him, especially if stays inside. Assuming Mayo and Thomas at ILB and Guyton + Thomas as versatile guys, do we really need to consider versatility as a major factor in this year's first pick?

There's nothing wrong with taking a dedicated pass rusher, as long as he's not a complete liability in the run game. If English is that solid as a pressure guy let's get it done.

With a starting safety to replace Sanders and a true pass rusher I think everyone would be much more comfortable with the 3 young CBs.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:47 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, Safety is far and away our biggest need IMO. Meriweather is showing to be a very good young safety who could potentially play FS or SS, but other than him we have nobody. Harrison is likely done IMO, Sanders is ok but not starting 16 games ok. The value probably isnt there in the first round, but in the second we could any number of guys (Johnson, Chung, Moore, Delmas, Sean Smith (tweener, but still)).
Old 02-13-2009, 10:50 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Thomas is up there in age but we have to figure we get a few more years out of him, especially if stays inside. Assuming Mayo and Thomas at ILB and Guyton + Thomas as versatile guys, do we really need to consider versatility as a major factor in this year's first pick?

There's nothing wrong with taking a dedicated pass rusher, as long as he's not a complete liability in the run game. If English is that solid as a pressure guy let's get it done.

With a starting safety to replace Sanders and a true pass rusher I think everyone would be much more comfortable with the 3 young CBs.
A legit pass rush would make our secondary look a lot better. A corner to push Hobbs to nickel might do the trick too ;)

Another factor in all of this is that if we can move Cassel and avoid being screwed over by the cap, there's a few impact guys out there at both corner and safety. A few of the guys who might be good for us at safety can be had relatively cheap as well. There aren't really any linebackers out there, particularly outside guys. Dansby maybe, but the price tag he'll carry will be waaaay too high for us to pay when we need to deliver new contracts for Wilfork and Seymour.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-13-2009, 10:56 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
A legit pass rush would make our secondary look a lot better. A corner to push Hobbs to nickel might do the trick too ;)

Another factor in all of this is that if we can move Cassel and avoid being screwed over by the cap, there's a few impact guys out there at both corner and safety. A few of the guys who might be good for us at safety can be had relatively cheap as well. There aren't really any linebackers out there, particularly outside guys. Dansby maybe, but the price tag he'll carry will be waaaay too high for us to pay when we need to deliver new contracts for Wilfork and Seymour.
What do you think our chances are of re-signing both Wilfork and Seymour?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:58 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigburt63 View Post
What do you think our chances are of re-signing both Wilfork and Seymour?
I think it COULD happen, but there's a strong possibility we're seeing the last of Richard Seymour in a Patriots uniform.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-13-2009, 11:01 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

That is my sentiment. He will cost alot, is much older than Wilfork, has had injury issues in the past, and although he dominates at his position, it is much easier to replace a dominant 3-4 DE than it is to replace a dominant 3-4 NT.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:11 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dansby would play inside in a 3-4. Once they move Cassel, most of the efforts will be filling little holes and contract extensions, but there might be room for a guy like Dansby. That'd be huge and cure many problems.

Safety is the biggest need though. A lot of the pass rush problems were directly related to health and inexperience. I'm fairly content with Hobbs and Wilhite as the starting CBs with Wheatley the 3rd guy... I think they'll be fine with a veteran or two mixed in...but they have to get safety help...only true MUST of the off-season.
________
Infant Paxil

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 06:46 AM.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:13 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

The only thing I would add to that is that some CB depth needs to be added, either via FA in veterans like you mentioned, or through the draft (Alphonso Smith is my favorite prospect at this point for CB)
Old 02-13-2009, 11:17 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigburt63 View Post
The only thing I would add to that is that some CB depth needs to be added, either via FA in veterans like you mentioned, or through the draft (Alphonso Smith is my favorite prospect at this point for CB)
I wouldn't object to us picking Smith at all. Hobbs is better at covering slot receivers than he is big time guys. Smith is also probably the best at playing the ball in the draft. A couple more interceptions a year certainly couldn't hurt.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-13-2009, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

I think smith is the type of ballhawking corner we could use to step in and be the potential #1 CB...it woudl take some time for him to adjust (more than likely) as it does for (almost) all rookie CB's. And supposedly the patriots were close to taking DRC last year, so they might want to take a corner in the first sometime soon.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:11 PM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

HellonEarth84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Larry English would be my pick.

Then move Vrabel to SILB. English and Crable battle it out in PreSeason for the starting spot.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:20 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

...which would also always us to keep all our pass rushers fresh. That's a big deal in today's NFL.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-15-2009, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the idea of drafting English or Sintim.
I'm not sold on Cushings though. I guess I'm the only one.
Don't really know why- just doesn't seem to be the answer for me.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote