Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:02 PM    (permalink
russie
Veteran

russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I totally agree 100%
so do i. garcia would actually be an addition to a potent offense, and might be good enough to tip the scales in the vikes favor. it would be a good situation for tarvaris also, because even though he has all the tools, he still needs time to put it all together
Old 02-17-2009, 04:12 PM    (permalink
gramage

Vikings make the most sense, but don't a huge improvement. He's better then what they have but he's still only average at this point in his career.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Garcia probably will end up with the Vikings, they just need someone to manage the game and convert on 3rd downs.

Then again the Jets could take interest in him, they have 3 young qbs and maybe be looking to win now.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:31 PM    (permalink
russie
Veteran

russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramage View Post
Vikings make the most sense, but don't a huge improvement. He's better then what they have but he's still only average at this point in his career.
an average qb playing with the best running back in the nfl should be able to do enough to bring them to the next level. if peterson can win games with the crap we have called quarterbacks the past few years, then a competent qb should do wonders
Old 02-18-2009, 10:00 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Vikings run a WCO offense or anything similar then I think Garcia would be a good fit for them. Add a good defense and good running game, and I think it's an interesting situation to bring him in.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Unless they get Matt Cassel, the Vikings have to sign him.
Vikes + Garcia = instant NFC North Favorites (to be second to the Lions :p )

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:46 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Garcia is likely looking for a decent amount of money (at least $3.5mm) and probably a 2 year deal. For a 37 year-old QB, that's a lot to ask. In addition, there are other QB's out there on the trade market (like Derek Anderson), who could be a nice add with more upside and value than Garcia. For all the money you're paying Garcia, he hasn't proven he can hold up for a full 16 game season.

So, for your investment, you're getting a very good veteran QB who is a winner in a WCO. At the same time, he breaks down every year, is 37, and he's asking for a pretty large amount in salary. With the economic climate, is that worth it to the NFL owners? Probably, but are they going to jump right in before cuts and the combine? Likely not.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:51 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
Garcia is likely looking for a decent amount of money (at least $3.5mm) and probably a 2 year deal. For a 37 year-old QB, that's a lot to ask. In addition, there are other QB's out there on the trade market (like Derek Anderson), who could be a nice add with more upside and value than Garcia. For all the money you're paying Garcia, he hasn't proven he can hold up for a full 16 game season.

So, for your investment, you're getting a very good veteran QB who is a winner in a WCO. At the same time, he breaks down every year, is 37, and he's asking for a pretty large amount in salary. With the economic climate, is that worth it to the NFL owners? Probably, but are they going to jump right in before cuts and the combine? Likely not.
Yeah but if you're the Vikings, the thought process would be that we are 1 peice away from going to the superbowl. We have the defense, we have the running game, and now we need a guy who can lead this offense. The eagles and Vikings were in stalemate for a good portion of the game, and Jackson just couldn't lead his offense down the field to get into FG range.

So if I am in the Vikings, I would think yeah that would be alot of money for him, but hopefully that 1 peice gets us to where we want to be.. the superbowl.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:00 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm with you on that. The Vikings should consider it strongly. I'm just saying that he hasn't signed yet and probably won't sign immediately because teams will wait it out a bit.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 02-18-2009, 11:00 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
Yeah but if you're the Vikings, the thought process would be that we are 1 peice away from going to the superbowl. We have the defense, we have the running game, and now we need a guy who can lead this offense. The eagles and Vikings were in stalemate for a good portion of the game, and Jackson just couldn't lead his offense down the field to get into FG range.

So if I am in the Vikings, I would think yeah that would be alot of money for him, but hopefully that 1 peice gets us to where we want to be.. the superbowl.
That's true and that frees up the furst round draft pick I'd trade 3.5 Mil for a first round pick. Sanchez and Freeman aren't NFL ready QBs they are going to have to sit a while. Cassel might be Scott Mitchel you never know AND Garcia worked with Chilly so it seems like a no brainer to me

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:18 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
That's true and that frees up the furst round draft pick I'd trade 3.5 Mil for a first round pick. Sanchez and Freeman aren't NFL ready QBs they are going to have to sit a while. Cassel might be Scott Mitchel you never know AND Garcia worked with Chilly so it seems like a no brainer to me
The key will be the system for future QBs. You need to get a QB that fits the parameters of the WCO, of the Vikings do in fact plan on keeping Childress there for a while. I think Garcia is a good stop gap for now.

Almost every QB is a system QB in essence. Qbs who do well do well because of their natural ability and how they fit the system tailored to them.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:21 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Garcia and Cassel both have WCO knowledge. Anderson is much less likely. I see him going to the Jets or Chiefs (they are the faves IMO). They key with Cassel is the draft pick compensation. Garcia is a perfect stopgap for them. I don't want to see it because the Vikes are really dangerous with a competent QB...

Old 02-18-2009, 11:26 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Garcia and Cassel both have WCO knowledge. Anderson is much less likely. I see him going to the Jets or Chiefs (they are the faves IMO). They key with Cassel is the draft pick compensation. Garcia is a perfect stopgap for them. I don't want to see it because the Vikes are really dangerous with a competent QB...
I doubt think it's smart to sell away picks for Cassel. I would rather get Garcia as a QB, and use those picks to help out the offense or defense even more. That's the key, always keep building.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:32 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I think NE is going to get bitten a bit by the Cassel franchise. It is an excellent insurance policy, but I think he'll be a huge dollar backup. I doubt many teams are going to strike a big deal for draft picks and then another big dollar deal on a contract for Cassel. NE isn't 100% to find its asking price met, so they might just hang onto him. For teams that aren't likely to win in 2009, they might just wait a year and try to grab Cassel in FA anyway.

Again, for the Vikings, a cheap Garcia contract is probably a great bet for them.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:35 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

That's the thing with Cassel though. A team better run the same passing concepts and system as he ran in NE. Otherwise your paying for a players production in another system and hoping it translates to your own. So i'd be alittle worried about that part.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:37 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

If you have that OLine (when healthy), ADP, and that good enough WR corps, you can adjust your system. If you bring in a guy for that money, he'd better fit what you're really trying to do...

Old 02-18-2009, 11:38 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Non-Heterosexual Zorro is still a better QB than Brian Griese.
George Hamilton is a better QB than Brian Griese?
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:51 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
If you have that OLine (when healthy), ADP, and that good enough WR corps, you can adjust your system. If you bring in a guy for that money, he'd better fit what you're really trying to do...
You can adjust it but it also depends on what system you had in place to begin with. Easier said that done. Say if Cassel didn't know anything about the WCO offense, now you have to educate him on it. He has to master the terminology, and all the reads for that system. If you tweak the WCO offense for Cassel then other factors come into play.

How does that effect your pass protection and blitz pickup?

How many plays get tweaked?

Does your sight adjustments get changed too?

What routes get changed?

What about progressions?

Now you gotta get everyone to remember all the new stuff. So in theory it sounds easy but there are alot of other variables.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:57 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
George Hamilton is a better QB than Brian Griese?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:04 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
You can adjust it but it also depends on what system you had in place to begin with. Easier said that done. Say if Cassel didn't know anything about the WCO offense, now you have to educate him on it. He has to master the terminology, and all the reads for that system. If you tweak the WCO offense for Cassel then other factors come into play.

How does that effect your pass protection and blitz pickup?

How many plays get tweaked?

Does your sight adjustments get changed too?

What routes get changed?

What about progressions?

Now you gotta get everyone to remember all the new stuff. So in theory it sounds easy but there are alot of other variables.
What I'm saying is that they have to be damn sure if they're investing multiple draft picks and probably $25mm guaranteed...

Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
What I'm saying is that they have to be damn sure if they're investing multiple draft picks and probably $25mm guaranteed...
Yeah they would have to be damn sure to do that, which is why if I am the Vikings I would shy away from that.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:30 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Too bad he is worthless in the 4th quarter and the red zone, never throws the ball downfield even when AB and Clayton are wide open (due to both bad judgment and lack of arm strength), scrambles into sacks, abandons the pocket for no reason too early, and has a horrible ego
Garcia's sack percentage is actually pretty decent career wise. Not sure about this past year in Tampa Bay, but he's been pretty solid in the 4th quarter. At least he was with us.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:51 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

In his last 30 starts he has thrown 10 interceptions quite impressive
But he hasnt finshed a season in 6 years
and 35 touchdowns in 30 games isn't that great
he would be great with a team with a run game and a defense.
I think the Vikings should go after him they have that.

Last edited by The Legend : 02-19-2009 at 05:53 AM.
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:02 AM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russie View Post
an average qb playing with the best running back in the nfl should be able to do enough to bring them to the next level. if peterson can win games with the crap we have called quarterbacks the past few years, then a competent qb should do wonders
If Garcia is average than Jackson must be....umm, nevermind I will refrain from discouraging myself more :(

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:00 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
In his last 30 starts he has thrown 10 interceptions quite impressive
But he hasnt finshed a season in 6 years
and 35 touchdowns in 30 games isn't that great
he would be great with a team with a run game and a defense.
I think the Vikings should go after him they have that.
Well Garcia has basically been a backup since his stint with Detroit. Or was considered one due to his lack of success there. However, when given a chance in the right system he's proved to be a capable starter. He hasn't really "not finished a season" due to extensive injuries.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote