Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-26-2009, 08:28 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Question

I know we've got a diverse group on this site and lots of knowledgeable people so I figured I'd ask. Is applying to law school kind of like applying to med school where you can basically major in anything you want undergrad but you need to do well on the MCAT (in this case LSAT) to get in, or does the major play a big role in whether or not you get accepted? The websites for most law schools don't really go into the matter which makes me think as long as you've got decent grades and LSAT's you'll be in alright shape but it's still unclear to me, so anything that anybody knows on the subject would be appreciated.

The reason I ask is that I'm a sophomore math major right now in college and at this point it's probably too late to change my major but I'm not exactly sure how related math and law are, though I'm sure it depends on the type of law.

Last edited by derza222 : 02-26-2009 at 08:30 PM.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont believe that it matters a whole lot. I was told for pre-law that the best majors were English, Communications, Philosophy or Political Science. There are some law school guys here who could probably tell you.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:45 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My advice would be to bridge out from Math a bit into Philosophy. Your school should have a Symbolic Logic course or something like that and from then on you could take some courses on Morality and the like.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
My advice would be to bridge out from Math a bit into Philosophy. Your school should have a Symbolic Logic course or something like that and from then on you could take some courses on Morality and the like.
Funny you should mention that, we're going through Symbolic Logic in one of my math classes right now. The Russell and Whitehead stuff, right? Pretty interesting...I know we have at least one Philo class on logic as well. Already forced to take Ethics which is at least along the morality lines and I'm sure there are other classes I can look into along the same lines.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I'm taking Symbolic Logic this semester. It can get a little monotonous, but you at least have to applaud the effort made by some of these guys who contracted rules for argument analysis.

I'm not sure what kind of Law you want to enter, but I would imagine that heavy amounts of Philosophy might be in order. Which, personally, sounds kinda awesome.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:17 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
Yeah, I'm taking Symbolic Logic this semester. It can get a little monotonous, but you at least have to applaud the effort made by some of these guys who contracted rules for argument analysis.

I'm not sure what kind of Law you want to enter, but I would imagine that heavy amounts of Philosophy might be in order. Which, personally, sounds kinda awesome.
Absolutely, it's really impressive what they were able to put together. What we're doing is just the bare bones of it and my professor made it clear that it can get a little dry, but it's still interesting stuff. Thus far I've liked the Philosophy classes I've taken here so I'd have absolutely no problem continuing to study it.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

I'm only just over a month into my class, but I've decided that Symbolic Logic would be so much more awesome if the homework was less intensive. The concepts aren't hard, so I after the first ten problems or so I have little motivation to do the remaining 50.

That said, there's a real pleasure to breaking down an argument on a big black board and calculating it all the way down to a true or false.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:49 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you're going to title it that, at leased do it correctly...

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:14 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My dad's a lawyer, and worked on the admissions commitee to get into Valpo Law School, and has given this advice to my friends interested in law school: The major doesnt matter. Take what you like/are good at. They like unique majors as well, but if you are good at english, then major in english where you will get a higher GPA than getting a lower one in one you think will prepare you for law school.

edit: My dad was saying that Math majors do well on the LSATS. I think he said it was because then they are usually really analytical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?

Last edited by bearfan : 02-26-2009 at 10:24 PM.
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:18 PM    (permalink
aNYtitan
All-Pro

aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would recommend that you start looking into internships (not necessarily at a law firm or something like that), to better promote yourself. Doing some extra work like that shows that you are willing to take your time to get better at other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Show me your Wang, if you will.
aNYtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:24 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would recommend you start looking at a different career. The law sucks your soul. At the very least, work in a law firm before you go to law school. See up close what it entails. Don't jump in blindly, you may waste a **** ton of money that way. If you truly enjoy the law after working as some sort of intern, then by all means do it. But pay close attention to the lawyers, and see how unhappy most of them really are.

Our country doesn't need more lawyers. It needs more people who are happy with what they do. Don't get sucked into something because of the amount of money you could possibly make. **** 9-5 jobs, do what makes you happy.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:02 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm contemplating law school and there's no specific major before you apply really. But like someone said, you should probably intern before you get into it. My mom's a lawyer and I've been to work with her before and I've kind of hung out with her while she's had some work that she's brought home so I've been familiarizing myself with the career.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:05 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was really about to ask a question just like this the other day. I ended up changing my major to Paralegal cuz I assume its pretty much like PreLaw at other schools.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote