Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-03-2009, 04:44 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
lol he just wanted a chance to eat john madden's turkey even if it meant playing for the lions the other 15 games.
lol...you mean turducken
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice signing. We can afford to play him just on run downs. Fluellen is a decent pass rusher from the DT spot, so he can play on 3rd downs.

But this shouldn't preclude us from drafting another big DT. It just gives us the flexibility to not have to force the selection of a DT. We can get one when the value is at its best.

Maybe we can cut Chuck "I never once saw him on the field" Darby.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I completely forgot about Chuck Darby.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:50 PM    (permalink
sunnyintheD
Rookie

sunnyintheD hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I completely forgot about Chuck Darby.
You should probably forget about him again.:)
sunnyintheD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:04 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Another signing that is just window dressing for no improvement. The guys 35 and way past his productive years. Just looking for 1 last payday before hanging up the cleats.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:11 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Another signing that is just window dressing for no improvement. The guys 35 and way past his productive years. Just looking for 1 last payday before hanging up the cleats.
You're so negative.. I'll have to get you some Zoloft.

WMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:51 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Is a one-year, cheap deal really going to hinder our future progress?

As much as we might rather see a young guy in there, I'm sure we'd also like to see our 32nd ranked rush defense improve just a little . . .

Just because we're rebuilding doesn't mean that veterans have no place on our roster.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:08 AM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Grady's a good signing. Yes it's only for a year or two and he's 36, but he's better than Darby. Maybe not skill wise(but probably), but I will tell you one thing, the man can never be called undersized. His size alone will dictate a double team, which is something the Lions desperately need. Sure its only for 1 year or 2 but it gives us time to develop a guy like Brace maybe instead of relying solely on a rookie Nose tackle in 2009 and 2010. Curtis Lofton thrived behind Grady last year as well. We will most likely have a rookie MLB. This year will still be poor obviously in terms of record but this signing should keep people off of a rookie MLB.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:09 AM    (permalink
Whitebull
Rookie

Whitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I've been a big fan of Ron Brace at 33- this signing would allow us to go Guard at 33, and then look for size at DT later.

Even if we assume Peterman is holding down 1 spot, we've got a gaping hole at the other Guard position, and it looks like Stafford at 1, LB at 20. Without Grady, I like Brace at 33, but with Grady, I think we plug that Guard spot better and then can move back to more defense with our 3rds and beyond.

I like going to camp with Redding, Darby, Grady, Fluellen and Cohen already, there's young guys with skill there. We can draft a 3rd+ round DT, drop Darby, and then it's between 3 young guys in Flu, Cohen, and the rookie for 2 spots prolly. Fine with me.

Last edited by Whitebull : 03-04-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Whitebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:11 AM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebull View Post
I've been a big fan of Ron Brace at 33- this signing would allow us to go Guard at 33, and then look for size at DT later.

Even if we assume Peterman is holding down 1 spot, we've got a gaping hole at the other Guard position, and it looks like Stafford at 1, LB at 20. Without Grady, I like Brace at 33, but with Grady, I think we plug that Guard spot better and then can move back to more defense with our 3rds and beyond.
I think we still should take Brace. Give him time to develop and Grady takes some pressure off of him. It takes a Dlinemen one year to get acclimated to the NFL usually. If Brace is BPA, take him at 33.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
You're so negative.. I'll have to get you some Zoloft.
Unfortunately, the Lions make it easy to be negative. We'll see how you feel about them if Ford lives another decade and continues to be satisfied with a non playoff team. After 1 playoff appearance in 50 odd years, I think I'm entitled to be very suspect of anything the Lions do. You just haven't been around long enough.
Here's how I see the current situation. This organization was desperate for a complete shake up from top to bottom but what did Ford give us. Matt Millen's assistant as our new GM, with instructions not to shake up the organization in any way. To me that is just another recipe for disaster. Think of the alternative if Ford had any competence at all. He could have gone after a Pioli type guy, coming from a strong organization that knows what it takes to win, with instructions to do what he sees fit to get rid of the losing atmosphere that fills every inch of the Detroit's football organization. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know the likelihood of Mayhew fixing this mess is extremely low. I'd give it a 1% chance of succeeding. This is not how successful franchises operate, not even close. So yes, I'm am going to question every move Mayhew makes until I actually see some improvement on the football field. Until then I remain very skeptical of anything Mayhew does until I'm proven wrong. There is nothing in his background to even suggest he is capable of doing his job, so call me negative if you like but at this point in Ford's ownership, I feel I'm entitled.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:12 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the Lions make it easy to be negative. We'll see how you feel about them if Ford lives another decade and continues to be satisfied with a non playoff team. After 1 playoff appearance in 50 odd years, I think I'm entitled to be very suspect of anything the Lions do. You just haven't been around long enough.
Here's how I see the current situation. This organization was desperate for a complete shake up from top to bottom but what did Ford give us. Matt Millen's assistant as our new GM, with instructions not to shake up the organization in any way. To me that is just another recipe for disaster. Think of the alternative if Ford had any competence at all. He could have gone after a Pioli type guy, coming from a strong organization that knows what it takes to win, with instructions to do what he sees fit to get rid of the losing atmosphere that fills every inch of the Detroit's football organization. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know the likelihood of Mayhew fixing this mess is extremely low. I'd give it a 1% chance of succeeding. This is not how successful franchises operate, not even close. So yes, I'm am going to question every move Mayhew makes until I actually see some improvement on the football field. Until then I remain very skeptical of anything Mayhew does until I'm proven wrong. There is nothing in his background to even suggest he is capable of doing his job, so call me negative if you like but at this point in Ford's ownership, I feel I'm entitled.
...and I can't argue a single word you said. I'm in complete agreement. I just hope Mayhew (who is showing some signs of being competent) is more than just a Millen stooge.

But again, that is hope. And hope is just a word used to describe situations you don't expect, and this is the organization of cellar-low expectations. Hope has nothing to do with reality.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i have good news for everyone. one win is improvement. heck 3 wins and selling out half the home games would probably secure a 6 year extension.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:09 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i have good news for everyone. one win is improvement. heck 3 wins and selling out half the home games would probably secure a 6 year extension.
Let me repeat...Cellar-low expectations.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:04 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Grady got signed to a 3yr deal for $8 mill. Probably a little long, but I'm sure there wont be much of a cap hit if we release him after this yr or next.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:07 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is a difference between being pessimistic and just downright bitter and angry Canadian. I think a lot of us have been around long enough to be watching the Lions for years and years and know how utterly disappointing they are year in and year out. You don't need to be 75 to realize that.

While I take everything the Lions do with a grain of salt, that doesnt mean that every single move they will ever make is a bad one. Grady will hopefully help us out for a year maybe two, then will be a very small cap hit when we decide to cut him. I think you have to agree we needed someone to help out the rush defense and free up the LB's.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/...er_facing.html

new topic on the grady jackson front. his brother whom the lions were giving somewhat of an opportunity to, just shot and killed his girlfriend.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:24 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/...er_facing.html

new topic on the grady jackson front. his brother whom the lions were giving somewhat of an opportunity to, just shot and killed his girlfriend.
Guess she was a very unpleasant person to be around.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:55 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
Guess she was a very unpleasant person to be around.
high fives!!!
I laughed out loud when I read that but now I don't feel so good about myself.
Wasn't this the same brother who almost died a few years back?