Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Pat Kirwan's Latest Mock

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true

Has us taking Jason Smith and Ziggy Hood. I'd actually be very happy with that draft (I've come around to your way of thinking since1978!). Upgrade the lines a bunch right away. Drafting Smith pushes Backus to guard, which is basically an upgrade on two offensive line positions. Hood is an excellent one gap penetrator type that can be used rotationally to start with (Although I'd really like to see Redding get less PT).

Now, that said, if the Lions grade Stafford as a franchise QB, you have to take him. But if they rate him a little lower, I'd be fine with Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:36 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

that guy needs to stay out of the sun....if you saw him on ESPN today.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:11 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would rather have Monroe than Smith any day.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 PM    (permalink
sunnyintheD
Rookie

sunnyintheD hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWnThEfiElD View Post
I would rather have Monroe than Smith any day.
I 2nd that. Anyone that plays LT over Albert has to be doing something right.
sunnyintheD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:13 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather have Backus at LT and a Rookie LG than a Rookie LT and Backus at LG. It's also smarter financially.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:54 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
I'd rather have Backus at LT and a Rookie LG than a Rookie LT and Backus at LG. It's also smarter financially.
I'd rather have Matt Stafford.

Let's just cut to the chase. NO Left Tackles at #1!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:31 AM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
I agree it's smarter financially. However it's not like a rookie LT can't come in and be a dominant player. Long and Clady were two of the top three tackles in the AFC last year. I would certainly take either of those guys on the Lions.

Again though, if the Lions grade Stafford as a franchise type QB, we have to take him. I'm just saying that if they grade him out lower then I wouldn't be upset with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:15 AM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Word is Jason Smith didn't have a very good pro day and the Lions weren't even in attendance. Jason Smith had a problem with a drill that exposed his lack of lower body strenght. Lower body strength is the same problem Backus has and makes him susceptible to the bull rush.

I take Stafford over Smith/Monroe right now even if Stafford isn't BPA(of course if Stafford is still deemed a franchise QB which he is). A rookie LT in 2010 can come in and play right away with more success than a rookie spread QB.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
Word is Jason Smith didn't have a very good pro day and the Lions weren't even in attendance. Jason Smith had a problem with a drill that exposed his lack of lower body strenght. Lower body strength is the same problem Backus has and makes him susceptible to the bull rush.

I take Stafford over Smith/Monroe right now even if Stafford isn't BPA(of course if Stafford is still deemed a franchise QB which he is). A rookie LT in 2010 can come in and play right away with more success than a rookie spread QB.
Agreed. 2010 is supposed to have 2-3 tackles that could easily be top 15 picks.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:44 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I expect that Mayhew has already made up his mind to draft Stafford and simply isn't interested in anybody else. It's sad because he has no fall back position if Stafford bombs at his pro day. It just isn't smart to not check out the top 5 guys throughly to keep your options open.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I expect that Mayhew has already made up his mind to draft Stafford and simply isn't interested in anybody else. It's sad because he has no fall back position if Stafford bombs at his pro day. It just isn't smart to not check out the top 5 guys throughly to keep your options open.
Either that or he has top confidence in Stafford (and his ability to ink him to an early contract).

Are we absolutely certain the Lions weren't at Smith's workout? Isn't it possible we have a private workout for him at some point?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:57 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kirwan is a moron

Stafford should be the pick.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:00 AM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Its been reported that the lions have taken Stafford and Curry out to dinner/interview. At least through what I have seen and maybe they have talked to others. I dont think its just Stafford at this point.

These 1-day events are somewhat over-rated in my opinion anyway. I guess, yes as you say he could completely bomb but even if he was average, wouldn't they base more of their judgment off of game film? What if he has a bad pro-day?
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:00 AM    (permalink
sunnyintheD
Rookie

sunnyintheD hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Either that or he has top confidence in Stafford (and his ability to ink him to an early contract).

Are we absolutely certain the Lions weren't at Smith's workout? Isn't it possible we have a private workout for him at some point?
A private workout is possible, especially if Smith is the only guy we had any interest in from Baylor. It could very well be we were more concerned with getting the players we want in FA yesterday.
sunnyintheD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:09 AM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote=sunnyintheD;1529382]A private workout is possible, especially if Smith is the only guy we had any interest in from Baylor. It could very well be we were more concerned with getting the players we want in FA yesterday.[/QUOTE

We could have sent a scout. We have an entire scouting department and Mayhew and some others could stay for the free agents. The scouting dept must go on vacation in March/April. It seems that way with the way we drafted under Millen.

There probably will be a private workout for Smith. But this regime has already said they like Backus. That could change, but I think Stafford is the guy. I can't see Stafford bombing his pro day. Stafford did some things at the combine and has 3 years of tape. When is his pro day?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:30 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

staffords pro day is march 19
Old 03-04-2009, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why would Stafford bomb at his pro day and why should the Lions have a big change of heart if he did. Up to March 19th he is their favorite for the #1 pick, but they should throw away all the tape, interviews and everything else they have on Stafford for a pro day? Please. If Mayhew doesn't have a backup plan, it's because he's smart enough to know Stafford won't suddenly forget how to throw at his pro day.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:23 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

trent williams in 2010

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Why would Stafford bomb at his pro day and why should the Lions have a big change of heart if he did. Up to March 19th he is their favorite for the #1 pick, but they should throw away all the tape, interviews and everything else they have on Stafford for a pro day? Please. If Mayhew doesn't have a backup plan, it's because he's smart enough to know Stafford won't suddenly forget how to throw at his pro day.
I think Mayhew does have a backup plan to Stafford. It's Aaron Curry. The pick should be Stafford with no regards to the pro day.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:30 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree, all the 'stafford won't start from day one'-talk is just BS. Lions can't do worse tahn last year, so they may want to start rebuilding rahter than some far-fetched Kirwan pipe dream.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

stafford won't need a full year to sit. he can start midseason. the only reason we'd keep him on the bench would be our horrible pass protection. with actual coaching and quicker decisions by the qb i believe that should be better this year. that being said, if daunte can't beat him out then he should re retire.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:48 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Duke Robinson at #33 please.
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:53 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He might not need a full year to sit.. but I'll keep him on the bench as long as possible. I wouldn't want him to pick up some bad tendencies playing behind our below average OL.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:05 PM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

I think you can always find a decent LT or linebacker in any draft, but you would be hard pressed to find a player as good as Stafford in any draft. Maybe 1-2 times a decade you find a Cutler or a Stafford. The rest of the time, you get players like Harrington, Shuler, Alex Smith, and Sam Bradford.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:07 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Fingers of Death View Post
I think you can always find a decent LT or linebacker in any draft, but you would be hard pressed to find a player as good as Stafford in any draft. Maybe 1-2 times a decade you find a Cutler or a Stafford. The rest of the time, you get players like Harrington, Shuler, Alex Smith, and Sam Bradford.
Not to be negative, but IMO it might be a little too early to annoint him a 1-2 times a decade guy, since he hasnt thrown a pass in the NFL and all.