Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:50 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But Hill has 5 more total touchdowns and 1 less pick.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:02 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Right, but looking at those numbers, I'm guessing Romo had more big passes for TDs which make better highlights, particularly after the team wins.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
Right, but looking at those numbers, I'm guessing Romo had more big passes for TDs which make better highlights, particularly after the team wins.
If SportsCenter didnt talk about it, it's obviously not important.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:10 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Did that make him better?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:18 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I still don't see how that makes arm strength not the most overrated attribute in a QB,
I don't know what more I can say, but for me personally, I feel that you don't have a grasp on the QB position and what goes into a QB being successful.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:11 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My grasp on the QB position is fine. I just don't think you can write a guy off entirley because he doesn't have a strong arm.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:13 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
If SportsCenter didnt talk about it, it's obviously not important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Did that make him better?
I thought the question was why Romo, at the same point in his career that Hill is now, was already considered a hot QB with a bright future and with a lot of people ready to claim him as the next great QB who came from nowhere. That's what I'm answering, I'm not giving reasons why Romo deserved it, just why it happened.

Playing for a team the media obsesses over with a WR the media obsesses over while providing them the highlights they desire is what did it.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:15 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Montana was not rated highly by most scouts. At one combine, Montana rated out as six-and-a-half overall with a six in arm strength, used to judge how hard and how far a prospect could throw the ball. By comparison, Jack Thompson of Washington State University rated an eight, the highest grade amongst eligible quarterbacks.
I'm not saying arm strength is not important, but obviously, it's not the clincher.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
This from Wikipedia:

I'm not saying arm strength is not important, but obviously, it's not the clincher.
Which is exactly what I am saying.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:43 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I thought the question was why Romo, at the same point in his career that Hill is now, was already considered a hot QB with a bright future and with a lot of people ready to claim him as the next great QB who came from nowhere. That's what I'm answering, I'm not giving reasons why Romo deserved it, just why it happened.
I wasn't disagreeing with you. In fact, I think what you said is fine. I am just taking a shot at ESPN's infatuation with the Cowboys.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Loggerhead
Rookie

Loggerhead hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Loggerhead hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Why are the 9ers trying to replace Hill? From the little bit of him that I saw he is their best QB since Garcia. Hill has proven he deserves a shot and is instead getting collectively ***** on by the organization. People wonder why the 9ers blow it is because of ***** like this. Rant over.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:58 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
But Hill has 5 more total touchdowns and 1 less pick.
How many drives touchdown drives did Romo lead Dallas on that ended in a MB3 TD rush? You're counter-argument will be how many did Gore score? I don't feel like looking up the stats but I'd probably guess the Dallas offense was more potent overall- which is a much better indicator of how "good" a starting QB is rather than how many TDs he had individually.

On the subject of stats- Romo was in the NFCE (arguably the best defensive division in football- probably 2nd best), Hill was in the NFCW (arguably the worst).

- Ko Simpson
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:31 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dallas had 1.4 more (22.6 to 21.2) PPG in 2008.
Hill's time on the field saw a rise of 11 points over the last 8.25 games for the 49ers (164 from O'Sullivan to 175 from Hill)

That ends up being a 2 point difference in season scoring, by averages, over the course of the season, where by Dallas has those two extra points.

That's too close to call.
Now factor in the O-line and T.O.

I'll take Hill.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:41 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'll take Hill.
Jerry Jones calls and offers Tony Romo for Shaun Hill straight up.

You either:

a) hope the 49ers accept.
b) hope the 49ers decline.

?

- Ko Simpson
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:46 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Dallas had 1.4 more (22.6 to 21.2) PPG in 2008.
Hill's time on the field saw a rise of 11 points over the last 8.25 games for the 49ers (164 from O'Sullivan to 175 from Hill)

That ends up being a 2 point difference in season scoring, by averages, over the course of the season, where by Dallas has those two extra points.

That's too close to call.
Now factor in the O-line and T.O.

I'll take Hill.
Didn't Tony have a finger injury this year that left Dallas basically not scoring on offense for a couple of games?
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:49 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Romo has a $4.5 million salary

Hill has a $1.7 million salary

With a difference of 2 points over the course of a season?

Jerry: So CJ, what's it gonna be?

CJ: CLICK

Jerry: CJ are you there? hello CJ!

Old 03-06-2009, 01:33 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

I'll take O'Sullivan again before I take Romo.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:40 AM    (permalink
jenningsfan85
Rookie

jenningsfan85 needs more cowbell.

IM SAYING ARM STRENGTH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT

im not only a member but the president of the jeff george and ryan leaf fan club! oh and what the hell, jamarcus russell, the man can throw it 60 yrds on his knees! and he hasent been handed a mvp trophey yet? WTF
jenningsfan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:39 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenningsfan85 View Post
IM SAYING ARM STRENGTH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT

im not only a member but the president of the jeff george and ryan leaf fan club! oh and what the hell, jamarcus russell, the man can throw it 60 yrds on his knees! and he hasent been handed a mvp trophey yet? WTF
If youre having a knee throwing competition kyle boller wants in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:41 AM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

Do you want to know why at similar points in their career Tony Romo was seen as a future star and Shaun Hill is not?

Because this noted coach named Bill Parcells made Romo HIS GUY, groomed him, kept him hidden on the roster until he thought he was ready.

Shaun Hill is NOBODY's guy. No coach has ever supported him to go into the season as a starter and even now Singletary is looking for a better option.

We can bicker back and forth about stats and w/l records, but the fact of the matter is that Shaun Hill's coaches don't want to put their eggs in his basket. If Singletary or Nolan had been talking up Hill and supporting him fully, I bet there would be a media buzz about the guy that does more with less, rather than the big question mark at qb.
no love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:19 AM    (permalink
papa burgundy
Rookie

papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.

The whole arm argument is ridiculous.. you don't need a laser rocket stud arm.. but you do need atleast an average arm. Montana's arm wasn't great compared to guys like Marino and Elway but it was solid enough to call above average. Not to mention he threw beautiful spirals and deep balls. Shaun Hill's arm is BELOW average and his balls wobble and his deep balls rainbow in the air and land 10 yards short of his target. It's a notch below Pennington and a notch above Ken Dorsey. He'll never be a top tier QB. Don't get me wrong though.. I love him and he's fun to watch when your team sucks and they're playing a handful of meaningless games against bad teams.. he's like Tim Tebow with how he wills his team to victory on grit desire and a love for the game with sub par tools and you gotta respect that. I'd take him 99 times before I ever took Alex Smith and his "potential".
papa burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:15 AM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll admit I never see the 9'ers as they are about as far away as it gets, and I had no idea Hill's stats were that good. At least for Romo he was just very impressive when he played, I know its cool to trash Romo especially in big moments but throughout most of the season he's a very good QB.

But the simple reason why Romo got so much more pub is because he's a Cowboy.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:35 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
How many drives touchdown drives did Romo lead Dallas on that ended in a MB3 TD rush? You're counter-argument will be how many did Gore score? I don't feel like looking up the stats but I'd probably guess the Dallas offense was more potent overall- which is a much better indicator of how "good" a starting QB is rather than how many TDs he had individually.
And how many more long scoring drives that kept the ball away from the opponent did Hill lead compared to Romo? Obviously Hill did something more for his team because he won 1 more game against slightly better competition with a lower ranked defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
On the subject of stats- Romo was in the NFCE (arguably the best defensive division in football- probably 2nd best), Hill was in the NFCW (arguably the worst).
In 2006 the Giants had the 24th ranked scoring defense, Redskins were 27th, and the Eagles were 15th. Heck let's look at the rest of the schedule

Giants - 24th
Redskins - 27th
Eagles - 15th
Panthers - 8th
Arizona - 29th
Indianapolis - 23rd
Tampa Bay - 21st
New Orleans - 13th
Atlanta - 15th
Detroit - 30th

comes out to an average rank of 20.5 compared to Hill's competition,

Bengals - 24th
Bucs - 3rd
Arizona - 28th
St. Louis - 30th (x2)
Dallas -20th
Buffalo - 14th
Jets - 18th
Dolphins - 9th
Redskins -6th

Average rank of 18.2. So what were you saying?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:00 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by no love View Post
Do you want to know why at similar points in their career Tony Romo was seen as a future star and Shaun Hill is not?

Because this noted coach named Bill Parcells made Romo HIS GUY, groomed him, kept him hidden on the roster until he thought he was ready.

Shaun Hill is NOBODY's guy. No coach has ever supported him to go into the season as a starter and even now Singletary is looking for a better option.

We can bicker back and forth about stats and w/l records, but the fact of the matter is that Shaun Hill's coaches don't want to put their eggs in his basket. If Singletary or Nolan had been talking up Hill and supporting him fully, I bet there would be a media buzz about the guy that does more with less, rather than the big question mark at qb.
OK, well allow me to explain. That my friend is because of internal politics. The Cowboys knew at the on-set of 06 Bledsoe (4.6 mil contract) would not be coming back, so they insert Romo (2.3 mil contract and yes, he had been groomed for the job); half the price for a starter to take over for a guy who was not coming back.

Furthermore, Parcells was an established Coach (he didn't have to worry about a resume) who knew that if it didn't work and he was criticized by the Front Office, he could leave and get picked up elsewhere no problem.

The 49ers have a guy they drafted with the #1 overall pick who they are paying 9 mil (and trying like hell to fix that may I add). If you suddenly switch up now, a lot of people are going to be pissed. Politically, it's better to say we are still working on the 9 million dollar project so all that money does not seem like a waste. Of course Singletary is going to "protect" the investment, if he doesn't his trade value goes to crap if his contract can't get taken care of and they decide to trade him.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:31 AM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

Quote:
OK, well allow me to explain. That my friend is because of internal politics. The Cowboys knew at the on-set of 06 Bledsoe (4.6 mil contract) would not be coming back, so they insert Romo (2.3 mil contract and yes, he had been groomed for the job); half the price for a starter to take over for a guy who was not coming back.

Furthermore, Parcells was an established Coach (he didn't have to worry about a resume) who knew that if it didn't work and he was criticized by the Front Office, he could leave and get picked up elsewhere no problem.

The 49ers have a guy they drafted with the #1 overall pick who they are paying 9 mil (and trying like hell to fix that may I add). If you suddenly switch up now, a lot of people are going to be pissed. Politically, it's better to say we are still working on the 9 million dollar project so all that money does not seem like a waste. Of course Singletary is going to "protect" the investment, if he doesn't his trade value goes to crap if his contract can't get taken care of and they decide to trade him.
That was my point. I was trying to show that a coaches support has a huge role in the public perception of whether or not a qb is a potential star.

Also, at 9 million a year Alex Smith's only trade value is if he restructures... which in that case he is the most valuable to us.
no love is offline   Reply With Quote