Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-07-2009, 05:15 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Thule Enters the Career World

So I'm bored and sick of studying up for my new job, so I figured I'd inform my nfldc friends whats going on in my world.

I'm on my last day in the great state of North Dakota. Two weeks ago I went down to the twin cities to watch my little brother and sisters play hockey. My dad happens to be a coach on my sisters hockey team.

Anyways...after their last game he introduces me to one of the other coaches who happens to be the chairman and CEO of this web development company.

I'm not sure how many of you know my story...but I'm one of those anti-school people in this world who find it a waste of time....and lets just say it's not for me...so I dropped outta high school with a 3.7 gpa a half credit short of graduating...and vowed never to go back.

Anyways it just so happens that my dad has been telling this CEO how he has been trying to get me to go to school and whatever and the CEO says he'd like to meet me....so after talking to this man for about 30 mins about random technology he tells me his company is coming into this new technology dealing with phone conversation recognition or whatever and they are going to need a new software guy in their office.

So that monday I go in and interview with him. I let him know that I have a bit of computer experience but all I have is stuff that i've learned on my own. He asks if I know php/mySQL I tell him I've done some basic HTML but nothing like that...messed around with some C++ and some other stuff but never that.

Anyways after 2.5 hours of interviewing he informs me that I'm hired...making salary and full benefits from the start. I'll get full training first hand from the CEO and his #2 programming guy. And a 6k raise after my first 90 days. Says they have a 37% profit sharing program on top of the base salary.

This is a company with about 30 employees and did over 1.2 million in revenue in the month of january. So even in a recession this company is breaking it's own sales records.

So Thule now has a career as a Software Developer and Web Developer working in an Enterprise based .com

I just thought it was an interesting story given the fact that someone without a post secondary degree got an opportunity in a multimillion dollar .com

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:41 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Holy **** dude, congratulations. My one piece of advice is that you do get over what ever kept you from getting that diploma and go back and get your HS diploma and some college. Not so much as a means to success, but as a safety net now.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:48 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well done Thule, you lucky bastard.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:44 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congrats and good luck man.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:47 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

congrats Thule.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:03 AM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congratulations Thule.
Make sure you do not forget about SWDC though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:19 AM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
Holy **** dude, congratulations. My one piece of advice is that you do get over what ever kept you from getting that diploma and go back and get your HS diploma and some college. Not so much as a means to success, but as a safety net now.
Agreed.

I would suggest you go and get your high school diploma. It is key that you have a high school diploma in order to "succesful" (I put it in quotes because many people have different meanings of success) in life. A college diploma is not as necessary because we all know of the many people who have succeeded without a college education, but those people were very creative and even lucky. Having a college diploma just makes your life so much easier.

$.02
oldLibid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:24 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congratulations Thule. Always good to see people who pursue their true desires succeed in this world. Best of luck with your new gig!
Old 03-07-2009, 11:32 AM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, congrats dude, you got really lucky.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:47 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Out of curiosity, what did you plan on doing as a career without your diploma?

Old 03-07-2009, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"it's who you know, not what you know"

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:00 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post

$.02
Just in case anyone here works for Verizon - thats 2 CENTS

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:09 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
"it's who you know, not what you know"
It's who you know to get in, it's what you know to progress.

In reference to your quote:
"You need a ticket to the game to catch a foul ball."
Knowing someone is gonna get you in but it's not guaranteed that you're going to be lucky enough to rise through the ranks based on knowing someone. A more qualified person is surely going to get the higher position based on knowledge rather than a relationship.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
It's who you know to get in, it's what you know to progress.

In reference to your quote:
"You need a ticket to the game to catch a foul ball."
Knowing someone is gonna get you in but it's not guaranteed that you're going to be lucky enough to rise through the ranks based on knowing someone. A more qualified person is surely going to get the higher position based on knowledge rather than a relationship.
I am not discounting knowledge. What I am saying is someone who might not be as smart or did as well in school as someone else, assuming they have more networking connections, has a better chance at success than the guy who spent all his time studying. That's not to say that you can just BS your way through school and hope to just know the right people, but that knowing the right people makes up for tons of things.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:24 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

secondary school education is a joke.

that's me.

congrats thule. at least you didn't get wrangled around like you did last time.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:29 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I am not discounting knowledge. What I am saying is someone who might not be as smart or did as well in school as someone else, assuming they have more networking connections, has a better chance at success than the guy who spent all his time studying. That's not to say that you can just BS your way through school and hope to just know the right people, but that knowing the right people makes up for tons of things.
Completely agree. Networking is the single most important aspect of business that is ignored sometimes.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:46 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Completely agree. Networking is the single most important aspect of business that is ignored sometimes.
hence why i got a bad gpa and still got a great job?

oh yeah... really... who know and what they know about you is more important than any gpa, college name, GRE score you can provide... if they know you're good, that's more than a GPA can ever show to a person.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:48 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
hence why i got a bad gpa and still got a great job?

oh yeah... really... who know and what they know about you is more important than any gpa, college name, GRE score you can provide... if they know you're good, that's more than a GPA can ever show to a person.
Yes, I've been told my many people in the professional world that most times GPA barely carries any weight, that they usually look at it to make sure you didn't barely pass and then rely more on experience, skills, and personality. That's why I laugh whenever my friends are freaking out about GPA and tell me that getting .1 higher this semester will get them an even better job than before.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:49 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

but gpa's often give people the chance to succeed. if you have a **** for brains it often shows in your gpa and then it doesn't matter who you know.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:49 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Yes, I've been told my many people in the professional world that most times GPA barely carries any weight, that they usually look at it to make sure you didn't barely pass and then rely more on experience, skills, and personality. That's why I laugh whenever my friends are freaking out about GPA and tell me that getting .1 higher this semester will get them an even better job than before.
maybe if they're going to law school or into a graduate program. but even that is weighted on who you know and your relationship with them.

how do you think idiots get into ivy league schools? networking.
like george bush?

Old 03-07-2009, 02:00 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
I have always lied about my GPA when filling out an application or asked. Always go with some ******** number like 3.6 or something. Businesses don't care and won't check unless maybe you are trying for a prestigious law firm or something?

Anyways, not that it really matters since I own and operate a one man business, I'm only lying to myself!
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:07 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
maybe if they're going to law school or into a graduate program. but even that is weighted on who you know and your relationship with them.

how do you think idiots get into ivy league schools? networking.
like george bush?
Well even if you are going post grad, your score on the GMAT, LSAT, etc. is usually weighted heavier than GPA. Because honestly, they would rather take kids that do well and know the subject they are going to be studying, than kids who just did well in random subjects that have nothing to do with that particular field/career.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:26 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congradulations goodluck.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:44 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Congradulations
Damn... seriously? Did you not read the 20 other people that spelled it correctly before you?
Old 03-07-2009, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Damn... seriously? Did you not read the 20 other people that spelled it correctly before you?
Maybe it was on purpose? I don't know lol, I hope it was in purpose