Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-10-2009, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Massaquoi is an elite college WR.
Yeah..no. Watched every game he played in. He's not elite. Good, yes. Elite, heck no. Inconsistent hands, heck yes.

And no NFL team drafts a QB with the plan to not give him weapons to throw to. There's no GM or coach saying "lets find a QB and surround him with no talent." :D

Even the best QB's can't win without talent around them, so if the Lions can't find other talented players to put around their QB, they might as well stand by for another 50 years of fail no matter who they draft.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:07 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
I agree with you. I was debating with the poster above you, which is why I quoted him and not you. I agree with your post 100% on your lgoic. But Curry is really no safer in Detroit than Stafford. Curry needs a Dline and Stafford needs an Oline. Either way we need to build around them. And both "safeness" assumptions are based on potential by the media draft experts, which really means nothing. We really don't know what the actual NFL scouts think until after the draft.
Fair enough....my bad.
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:43 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't have the time to time a long reply so I'll keep it short. Mayock suffers from the same thing many people on here do only looking at the skill players his junior year. Please tell me where the elite WR's was staffords first 2 years starting. The OL he had was average at best and below average the last 2 years. Moreno is a fantastic HB, but overall UGA wasn't even in the top 50 rushing teams in the country. Massaquoi isn't elite and it's not even debatable. He was average his first 3 years until A.J Green and steped up to take all the pressure off him. I don't know where Mayock has Massaquoi ranked, but he better have him as a top 5 WR if he thinks he is elite. If not then he is just making stuff up. As someone else mentioned A.J Green will be the best WR in school history. But he ran wrong routes alot and that lead to several interceptions. Plus if he had any other QB in the country throwing to him he doesn't lead the SEC in receiving.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:47 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

FTW!!!

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:55 PM    (permalink
IrishX (aka bornbear)
Rookie

IrishX (aka bornbear) needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Mayock said that if the Lions make a mistake at quarterback with that pick, "they won't recover for five years.''
They won't recover? From what? Losing?

When you go O-16 there's only one way to go from there.
IrishX (aka bornbear) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:47 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
Colts took Peyton Manning #1 overall and two seasons later they went to the playoffs. Bengals took Carson Palmer #1 overall and two seasons later they made the playoffs. Atlanta reached the playoffs shortly after drafting both Mike Vick and Matt Ryan. The Chargers and Giants both made the playoffs after taking Philip Rivers and Eli Manning respectively.
Terry Bradshaw also turned the Steelers around (with a lot of help) as did Troy Aikman and to an extent Eli Manning. Key point in all these cases is they somewhat struggled at first and needed help around them. If the Lions dont surround Stafford and Calvin Johnson with a supporting cast they'll continue to lose.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Hyperion Ecta
Rookie

Hyperion Ecta hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
Colts took Peyton Manning #1 overall and two seasons later they went to the playoffs. Bengals took Carson Palmer #1 overall and two seasons later they made the playoffs. Atlanta reached the playoffs shortly after drafting both Mike Vick and Matt Ryan. The Chargers and Giants both made the playoffs after taking Philip Rivers and Eli Manning respectively.
Thank you. I'm unsure if those teams were really quite as bad as us but I see where the need for a QB comes from. Still unsure if Stafford can do what those players did, remember all of those players were seniors I believe.

I'm not totally against drafting Stafford, if he were to get called I'd definitely root for him. But I can't help but think that there is just a few to many questions about his game for him to succeed here. I'm still of the belief that 2 of those first 3 picks need to be spent on defence.
Hyperion Ecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Hyperion Ecta
Rookie

Hyperion Ecta hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

Everyone says Stafford will struggle without an Oline. What about Curry without a Dline. Ask Ray Lewis how he did in between Siragusa and Ngata. If any LB has blockers on them constantly, they usually struggle. Curry needs the defense built around him just like Stafford needs some of the Oline built around him. With any pick at number 1, we will have to build around them.
I agree, but my point is that we need to focus the majority of this draft on defence because that needs the most help. Peria Jerry is an option at 20 and other Dlineman will be around early on. But if we focus on getting Stafford a line to protect him, we won't be able to fix our defence like we need to.
Hyperion Ecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Primetime21
Veteran

Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Go ahead and not take him. Then he will fall to the Seahawks and we can groom him for a year. Stafford is a QB that will do what it takes to win, whether that's scramble for the 1st or stay late in the film room. Lions are better to take a chance on success than fade into more mediocre seasons(if they are lucky) with a safe pick like Curry or Smith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
players intsimy latieres are sutpdi. the players areat all unituw/ o dpmt ebem aer about wat the lpater aare calling themeslves of whatever, terhera will Its sutpid/ neever be anothe said playerm. rscj p;syhyrt uniyeee, snf rhyrtrgotr, each player autntiwue for each syste,. /
Alcohol+Draft Forum= Fneuniest timez evverzzz
Primetime21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:36 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion Ecta View Post
I agree, but my point is that we need to focus the majority of this draft on defence because that needs the most help. Peria Jerry is an option at 20 and other Dlineman will be around early on. But if we focus on getting Stafford a line to protect him, we won't be able to fix our defence like we need to.
It's not going to be done in one draft though. Some defense will be taken this year and maybe a good guard. Stafford should sit in 09 anyway IMO. We've addressed the D some in free agency as well with Grady, Bucnhanon,King etc. Of course we need more, but over this draft, free agency next year and draft next year we can fill a lot of defensive holes. If we take Stafford, I think we should go defense with pick 20, pick 65 and pick 82. We can get some LBs in those rounds. LBs are usually taken in Rounds 2 or 3 or later, especially SAM LBs which is what Curry is. Pick 33 could also be D or BPA Oline.

Defense is stacked in next years draft. Berry,Mays,McCoy,Brandon Spikes and there are some good Oline too. I like them better than the QB class next year and I like Stafford better than the QB class next year. Qbs take the longest to develop. It's only logical to get one sooner rather than later. A good Tackle or Defender can step in and have a greater impact as a rookie than a QB. So 2010 would be the best of both worlds with an impact defender and Stafford ready to start. 2009 will be crappy no matter who we pick.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:41 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only way the Lions shouldn't draft Stafford is if they make a trade for one of the Cleveland QB's, acquire Leftwich, or... ya know... Trade for the rights to Mike Vick :]
Old 03-10-2009, 09:15 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's not going to be done in one draft though. Some defense will be taken this year and maybe a good guard. Stafford should sit in 09 anyway IMO. We've addressed the D some in free agency as well with Grady, Bucnhanon,King etc. Of course we need more, but over this draft, free agency next year and draft next year we can fill a lot of defensive holes. If we take Stafford, I think we should go defense with pick 20, pick 65 and pick 82. We can get some LBs in those rounds. LBs are usually taken in Rounds 2 or 3 or later, especially SAM LBs which is what Curry is. Pick 33 could also be D or BPA Oline.

Defense is stacked in next years draft. Berry,Mays,McCoy,Brandon Spikes and there are some good Oline too. I like them better than the QB class next year and I like Stafford better than the QB class next year. Qbs take the longest to develop. It's only logical to get one sooner rather than later. A good Tackle or Defender can step in and have a greater impact as a rookie than a QB. So 2010 would be the best of both worlds with an impact defender and Stafford ready to start. 2009 will be crappy no matter who we pick.
Agree 100%
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:31 PM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

Georgia had a above averge defense. Very young offensive line who took a beating from teams like Alabama and Florida. Stafford was running for his life and the pass protection was incredible when he played the two teams i mentioned. I'm as critical as anyone you'll know when it comes to sports. Matthew Stafford is the best quarterback i've seen in college football since Payton Manning. I rip on player left and right and do not throw complements around very easily. Stafford will have you drooling if he is drafted by the Lions. This is a good drooling.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:42 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Fingers of Death View Post
Georgia had a above averge defense. Very young offensive line who took a beating from teams like Alabama and Florida. Stafford was running for his life and the pass protection was incredible when he played the two teams i mentioned. I'm as critical as anyone you'll know when it comes to sports. Matthew Stafford is the best quarterback i've seen in college football since Payton Manning. I rip on player left and right and do not throw complements around very easily. Stafford will have you drooling if he is drafted by the Lions. This is a good drooling.
I like your enthusiam for Stafford, but IMO he is not better than Eli was when Eli came out.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:50 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He will be doing this regularly in the Lions. The Lions have to take him, like no choice have to take him, either he helps them or he doesn't. But if they don't do a good job of protecting him next year, then meet David Carr 2.0.

Like I said before he is moving from Georgia to almost the same team again.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:06 PM    (permalink
Geason Noceur
Rookie

Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Actually, Georgia was in the bottom half in most of the SEC's defensive categories. They were 10th in scoring defense. Their defense was giving up an average of 42 points a game for most of the second half of the season.
Geason Noceur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Have there been any rumors of trading the #1 overall pick? That's the smartest move for your franchise imo.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:27 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Have there been any rumors of trading the #1 overall pick? That's the smartest move for your franchise imo.
I can't find the link, but Mayhew said a while ago that trading out of the #1 spot isn't likely because of the money involved and all that..
Old 03-29-2009, 01:09 PM    (permalink
dabul-master
Rookie

dabul-master hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If Georigia is as bad as everyone here keeps saying they are, remind me how they got to the citrus bowl? For a college team they had a top rb top wr core, and i wouldn't be suprised if their backup o-lineman were better than a lot of teams strating o-linemen.
dabul-master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:36 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabul-master View Post
If Georigia is as bad as everyone here keeps saying they are, remind me how they got to the citrus bowl?
Matthew Stafford and Knowshon Moreno. Their defense certainly didn't help.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:56 PM    (permalink
dabul-master
Rookie

dabul-master hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

And yet the SEC has the best defenses yet a team with an "awful defense and o-line" can do that well because of a rb and a qb, not buying it
dabul-master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:16 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.

Quote:
And yet the SEC has the best defenses yet a team with an "awful defense and o-line" can do that well because of a rb and a qb, not buying it
Which is why I think Knowshon Moreno is the best college running back I have ever seen and Matthew Stafford is a special QB.
StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:34 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ron Jaworski sez::

"We just finished watching (Georgia's) Matthew Stafford, and it's my opinion that Detroit should not mess around and that he should be the top pick in the draft," said Jaworski, who is watching on this day with producer Lou Russo. "Stafford is just a more polished passer who makes every throw, who is a leader and who has done it against big-time competition.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ne...STORY_ID=17544
Old 03-29-2009, 06:38 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Georgia defense gave up 41 points to Alabama, 38 to LSU, 49 to Florida, 38 to Kentucky, and 45 to Georgia Tech. Georgia's defense played well against the SEC with poor offenses (South Carolina, Auburn, Tennessee, etc.) but they couldn't stop the top SEC teams if their life depended on it. Stafford and Moreno played well enough to win every single game except for the Florida one.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:58 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.

No one can blame Stafford for the loss against Georgia Tech. He was throwing out of his mind.
StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote