Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-29-2009, 10:54 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Criticizing Mayock when he talks about QB's is way off the mark. In the last few years Mayock has been right on about QB's, he may have had a few prospects who play other positions not get drafted where he predicted but on QB's he has been right on the mark and it scares the hell out of me.
A few years ago he said teams should draft Cutler when he was projected as a 2nd or 3rd rounder and by the time the draft rolled around Cutler had worked himself up to #11 and in hindsight should have been taken higher. Last year even before the post season got underway, he said Ryan was his clear cut #1 prospect in the draft and people were all over him with stats and everything else they could find to prove Ryan didn't deserve to go #1 overall nor even in the top 5. On both of these prospects he was right on and trying to discredit his opinions of QB prospects has left most draft gurus with egg on their face.
During the Senior Bowl I watched Mayock break down Stafford's overall game using video and it was enough to scare me. He's not saying Stafford cannot get better, all he's saying is that at this moment Stafford isn't a Cutler nor a Ryan in terms of prospects and after watching a great deal of NFL Network on the draft, I realize that this is a very thin draft with little separating the top 10 to 15 prospects, none of them challenged this fact and holding the #1 overall pick in this draft is a nightmare for Mayhew.
I've see drafts like this one before on many occasions over my 50 years following the draft and this year's draft may be one of the worst in NFL history. However that doesn't mean there won't be a fair share of stars coming out of this draft, it's just that they may not be in the top 5 picks. The solid NFL GM's with strong scouting departments will thrive in this draft as they have that unique ability to project a prospect 2 or 3 years down the road, these guys are going to find players. The weaker GM's are going to get eaten alive in this draft because they either lack those qualities to spot raw talent who can develop or have scouting departments that cannot do the job. It is going to be a real test of Mayhew's skills and we could easily end up with another Millenesque draft. What a draft to start your career on???
Old 10-02-2011, 10:04 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Have there been any rumors of trading the #1 overall pick? That's the smartest move for your franchise imo.
I realize that hindsight is 20-20, but, today, I am quite happy for the Lions, especially since I live in Dallas.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:14 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mayock probably regrets some things he said about Stafford and Moreno. I think he had Moreno as a top 5 talent in the 2009 Draft.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:39 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I realize that hindsight is 20-20, but, today, I am quite happy for the Lions, especially since I live in Dallas.
Wait... You thought the Lions won because of Stafford? LOL. They can thank Romo.

...talk about diggin' up bones. haha. nice one Brent. Thanks for remembering! :) I guess 4-0 versus a weak schedule means you've arrived. Time to eat my crow! lol.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:37 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Mayock probably regrets some things he said about Stafford and Moreno. I think he had Moreno as a top 5 talent in the 2009 Draft.
he also had Ayers as a top talent
Old 10-03-2011, 08:14 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Mayock spoke very highly of Stafford, saying he has great arm strength and is a good athlete, but also said "There are some things about him that bother me. If I was the Lions, I'd take (Aaron) Curry or one of those left tackles (Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe).
That is classic right there.
How has Curry and Smith done? Terrible.
Not sure on Monroe, but I know they aren't blocking anywhere on that OL.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:16 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Wait... You thought the Lions won because of Stafford? LOL. They can thank Romo.

...talk about diggin' up bones. haha. nice one Brent. Thanks for remembering! :) I guess 4-0 versus a weak schedule means you've arrived. Time to eat my crow! lol.
It's still three road games, and Brent's a 49ers fan.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:36 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Old 10-03-2011, 01:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
Yes I am. But it's not towards the Lions. I've had enough of Jason Garrett's bizarre playcalling and Tony Romo's mental deficiencies.

I will say that Stafford is finally starting to prove his worth and that he and Johnson are a terrific duo... AND there's a lot of promise in the Lions, but that game was given away. Romo's 2 pick 6s and a 3rd INT with 4 min left on the Lions side of the field was epic collapse.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
It's still three road games, and Brent's a 49ers fan.
True. Winning on the road is tough. You guys are much improved. For clarity's sake, Brent's a Cowboys hater... as I am right now as well. lol.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:20 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes I am. But it's not towards the Lions. I've had enough of Jason Garrett's bizarre playcalling and Tony Romo's mental deficiencies.

I will say that Stafford is finally starting to prove his worth and that he and Johnson are a terrific duo... AND there's a lot of promise in the Lions, but that game was given away. Romo's 2 pick 6s and a 3rd INT with 4 min left on the Lions side of the field was epic collapse.
It was, I even admitted it in the cowboys discussion. Lions still had to take advantage of the gifts being thrown to them, and continue to fight. Most teams would have folded being down 24.

Good teams find ways to win, bad teams...well, you know the saying. Being a Lion's fan for about 10+ years, I know about bad teams, and this Lions team is far from it. They're no SB contenders, but no team should feel bad that they got beat by the Lions this year.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Romo made mistakes but the Lions adjusted their game plan dropping the LBs deeper than usual on those plays. Houston said they made an adjustment as well resulting in his interception. All 3 ints were tough catches and both returns were very nice returns.

Romo made mistakes, Garrett too especially the two play call throws on 1st down but the Lions deserve credit for making 3 good plays as well. Most turnovers in this league is someone making a mistake and the other team doing well to take advantage. Lions made enough plays in second half to come back and win the game.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:54 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mayock has always been a bit iffy on junior QB's. You simply aren't seeing a finished product and the risk is magnified. As more succeed, pro GM's will be far more willing to take the risk.
Stafford was not particularly accurate in college and hence he did not totally dominate like he should have and that is what Mayock questioned.
With Newton's success this year I think you'll see junior QB's getting a far more responsive OK from Mayock.
Besides, with so many junior QB's declaring for the draft, GM's have little choice but to take the risk and hope for the best. The simple fact is that with so many college teams playing the spread offense, teams are also going to have to take the risk that if everything else is top notch i.e. arm strength, mental toughness, accuracy and pocket awareness, you go ahead and draft the guy and pray he adjusts to pro ball. What choice do teams have?
Old 10-04-2011, 08:29 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Brent's a Cowboys hater
Not true, I'm quite the defender of Tony Romo.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:31 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
im pretty sure that award goes to cowherd
Old 10-05-2011, 02:59 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Mayock has always been a bit iffy on junior QB's.
U didn't mention that before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Criticizing Mayock when he talks about QB's is way off the mark. he may have had a few prospects who play other positions not get drafted where he predicted but on QB's he has been right on the mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
OK, my mistake then I apologize if you were offended.

But I AM a Romo hater (at least right now that is...) :D

...and to the Lions fans... I love the way your coach reacted to Dez's incomplete pass. That was awesome! haha. Great comeback.

Last edited by D-Unit : 10-05-2011 at 03:21 PM.