Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:40 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

THav916 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default My Mock

Reading Mr Stiller's mock got me in the mood to do my own. I usually don't like to make trades in mocks but what the heck, I'm making one. We trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks for an early 2nd.

We resign Fox and Essex
We sign a veteran WR (Galloway/Engram/Booker/Furrey)
We sign a veteran CB (Bodden/Carr)

1. Alex Mack-I personally view Mack as a stud center. Even if you love Hartwig and see him as a Steeler for 3 more seasons, Mack can play guard til taking over at Center. Our line is subpar, but it's young and adding one pro bowler would make the future look much brighter. Max Unger would also fit here.

2. Jarron Gilbert-We need youth on the DL badly. Gilbert looks like a beast in the making. Wouldn't have to start in year one but could develop into a force. Fili Moala would also fit here.

3b. David Bruton-Looks good, tested well, plays a nice FS and special teams. Clark plays a real solid FS but at his age, having money tied up at SS, and all of the '10 free agents, I think he's a prime candidate to replace cheaper (kinda like Clark for Hope). Even if they love Mundy I'm not banking on him. Not in love with any other FS's so a second choice would probably be at another position.

4. Mike Wallace-4.3 speed with more than adequate size. Could be a nice big play threat. Shouldn't need more than a 4th/5th WR this year, and hopefully won't need more than a 3rd WR in the future, and I really like what Wallace brings to the table. Also really like Brandon Tate here.

5. Joe Burnett-Doesn't have the measurables for a demanding scheme to be drafted higher, but I like what I see and read about Burnett. Seems like a tough kid with good speed and a good fit for us. Also can return. Don Carey another candidate here.

6. Sammie Lee Hill-I'd like to start grooming a NT of the future now. Practice squad or maybe an active body on the line somewhere, but it'd be nice to have. Hill is big and talented. Mr Stiller's boy Marlon Favorite seems like he'd fit here, too. I really like Mitch King and Myron Pryor, but I feel they fill more of the Hoke-type role. If the Steelers were deadset on resigning Hampton, then I think King or Pryor would be great, but since Hampton could be lost, I think it's important to get the 'big' guy first.

7a. Frantz Joseph-The type of guy that internet folk seem to rave about but yet he wasn't invited to the combine so he could last til the 7th. I'm caught up in the hype and like what I read about him. I thought I read an interesting point lately that every LB on the Steelers is pretty much a converted OLB (or DE). For that reason, some other fits would be Lee Robinson and Jason Williams.

7b. Frank Summers-I'd really like to upgrade that FB position. It could be quite a weapon in our offense but Davis does nothing above average. What Davis does do above average is special teams, but Summers can also fill in there. Don't really have another FB 7th round candidate but some other favorite non-combine guys are Trimane Goddard, Jeremy Navarre and Ryan Stanchek.

A few notes....
-First off, it even surprised myself that I had one offensive lineman. But with our signings so far, and Essex would make this more possible, we have a lot of young bodies. It seems like it or not, Colon will be the starting RT this year. By 2010 I hope Hills can take that job from him anyway. I still could see us loading up on OL, but with all of the potential holes we could have after next year's free agency, I decided to spread the well around. I think this type of draft could take the pressure off of a lot of those '10 free agents being must signed.

-I love building the offensive line and defensive front 7. That's mainly why my objective in this draft was get a stud on the o-line, a stud on the d-line, and then get scheme fitting role players in the latter rounds.

-This certainly isn't the only way to do it. I could probably come up with 5 different mock drafts right now. But would be happy if it turned out this way.

Thoughts?

Last edited by THav916 : 03-10-2009 at 02:27 PM.
THav916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:50 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

pretty solid mock, im not sure if id want to give up a 3rd to move up and grab gilbert... i just dont know if he is worth it at this point

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:22 PM    (permalink
lance uppercut
Rookie

lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.

nice call on joe burnett, I think he could be willie g: v2.0

overall I like the approach a lot, and would be very surprised if we did not trade up at least once this draft.

the way the board might break, I could actually see us trade out of the first and then up twice in subsequent rounds. 4 picks in the first three rounds is enough to do some nice damage, but if we could elevate picks 2 & 3, we'd be much more likely to get 'our guys'.

sure hope we get that 3rd round compensation for faneca - we've been assuming it for so long that if that turned into a 4th rounder, it'd sting for awhile.
lance uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:53 PM    (permalink
Steel34
Rookie

Steel34 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I love this draft!!!
Steel34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Strongside
Veteran

Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fantastic. I love it.

The only problem I have is that we didn't take an OT.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:54 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongside View Post
Fantastic. I love it.

The only problem I have is that we didn't take an OT.
Thanks. Like I said, I surprised myself I didn't have an OT. In an ideal world, we'd stay put at 64, get Gilbert like Scott Wright has in his mock, and then take a OT like Tupou with 3A and keep the rest of my draft the same. I just think Gilbert is going to be long gone at 64 and would like to get him.

For the same reason that I like Mack/Unger...we have a lot of bodies coming back on the OL, have a lot of needs, might not be able to load up on OL in the draft therefore it'd be nice to get 1 or 2 versatile ones...I like Jamon Meredith. He's really growing on me as a 1st/early 2nd/2nd round candidate. Kiper has him ranked as his top guard and 7th ranked OT. As I said, like it not Colon is probably starting for us at RT and our OL will probably stay the same. Meredith could backup multiple positions in 09 and then in '10 start at either RG or RT. If he starts at RG, we could have Hartwig or Stapleton at C and Colon or Hills at RT.

If we took Meredith, I actually really like a Meredith/AQ Shipley combo throughout the draft.

I'm far from campaigning for taking one lineman. I think our line needs a lot of work. I'd still love a draft that involved a Mack/Tupou/Louis Vasquez threesome as well. Just throwin some different ideas and scenarios around.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:27 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Mack/Unger and then Gilbert would be freakin awesome! Thats my dream scenario!!!
Old 03-14-2009, 03:06 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSteeler View Post
Mack/Unger and then Gilbert would be freakin awesome! Thats my dream scenario!!!
Exactly man, wouldn't that be great?!? A potential stud on each side of the line. I'd love coming away with 2 of my top 10 for the first round pick.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Pitt
Veteran

Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.

Any Steelers mock with Alex Mack and Jarron Gilbert deserves 5 stars.
Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:48 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt View Post
Any Steelers mock with Alex Mack and Jarron Gilbert deserves 5 stars.

WORD!!!

throw in Sean Smith and i'll...Giz-In-My-Pantz!!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 09:52 PM    (permalink
JonasBlane
Rookie

JonasBlane hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JonasBlane hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
My thoughts exactly... Only scenario that would be better than grabbing potential studs at OG and DE would be OT and DE... But that isn't too likely where we're picking.
JonasBlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:22 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasBlane View Post
My thoughts exactly... Only scenario that would be better than grabbing potential studs at OG and DE would be OT and DE... But that isn't too likely where we're picking.

i wouldn't cry if we got Britton and Gilbert with 1 and 2! But everyones got the Eagles grabbing Britton.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:29 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSteeler View Post
i wouldn't cry if we got Britton and Gilbert with 1 and 2! But everyones got the Eagles grabbing Britton.
Yea I was thinking a Britton in the 1st and Gilbert/Moala in the 2nd combo would fulfill that but chances aren't good of them being around at those spots. Maybe more likely of a DE/RT combo is a Gilbert in the 1st and Loadholt in the 2nd combo.

I heard Mayock say the other day he thought Loadholt would go in the 3rd. I'm not incredibly high on him but he's a guy that if he fell to the end of the 2nd round could be taken and immediately compete for that spot.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:04 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

Here's a mock I came up with playing around with some of my same ideas and some new ones. Also threw some new names into the mix for variety

1. Alex Mack-Still my top guy at #1
2. Ron Brace-Strong NT of the future can play some DE as a rookie
3A. Coye Francies-Athletic and strong CB with upside
3C. Mo Massaquoi-Big, strong, capable of the big play
4. Zach Potter-Strong DE fit for our system
5. Corey Irvin-Doubling up on DE's. Any of the late round options would work here
6. Seth Olsen-A different name than Vasquez but another solid, big Guard with low upside but starter potential
7A. Garrett Reynolds-RT on the practice squad for a year doesn't test well but can play
7C. Trimane Goddard or Frank Summers

6 OL/DL seems extreme but looking deeper it's 1 Center, 1 Guard, 1 RT, 1 NT and 2 DEs. Get a much needed CB and WR each in the 3rd round. Then with our last pick take a guy like Goddard or Summers for hopeful depth. This type of draft should almost guarantee us depth and strength on the lines.