Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-16-2009, 06:39 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnick View Post
I personally dont think that Cleveland would really jump into the fold for Cutler. Granted they would like to have a 25 yr old pro bowler, oh wait they already do in DA and they still have Brady.
That would work if it wasn't for the fact that DA became DA again in 2008.

Quote:
Yes I understand the argument that McDainels would want a a Weiss disciple in Quinn due to the Patriots connection, but with that reasoning why would Mangini not want the same thing?
Now this is too easy.

Mangini was a Defensive Coordinator.
StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:40 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.

The Cold Hard Reality on Cutler is he is never going to Detroit.

Detroit cannot trade for Cutler - they don't have nearly enough capital to do so. Denver's team needs (as identified by Scott Wright) are:

1. Defensive Tackle

This is obviously a position we can't even begin to help Denver with.

2. Linebacker

Peterson clearly isn't going away and Dizon has no value. Simms may have value and if this was 2007 maybe he would be a good trade tool, but he doesn't fit Nolan's new 3-4 system.

3. Defensive Back

See Defensive Tackle.

Maybe Detroit can trade Calvin Johnson, after all a QB is always more valuable than a WR. Then again Denver also has one of the best WR Corps in the NFL. Kevin Smith? Denver spent good money on Arrington and Buckhalter.

The fact is Detroit has nothing to offer but draft picks and even there Detroit can't afford to give Denver multiple Day 1 picks simply because they have too many holes to trade away a draft on one player.

Cleveland can offer not only a Charlie Weiss groomed QB, but Shaun Rodgers.

Carolina can offer Delhomme and Peppers.

Tampa is desperate enough to give Denver the first and third picks this year, and offer 2010 picks. They also have the cap room to give Cutler the biggest contract in the history of forever.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

3 team deals could make things a whole lot easier. shaun rodgers, cutler, 1st round pick+ kind of things. we have lot of draft pick ammo if we wanted to spend it.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:20 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post

Tampa is desperate enough to give Denver the first and third picks this year, and offer 2010 picks. They also have the cap room to give Cutler the biggest contract in the history of forever.
We can make Denver the best offer out of anybody. We still have a ton of cap. Yes Denver has a lot of holes, but thats what all the draft picks would be for. Don't sleep on Chris Simms either. Gruden was a hindrance to his development.

I could see the Browns being involved but Derek Anderson being moved instead.

Denver would maybe do something like this

2010 2nd rounder

for

Jay Cutler
(I'd want Scheffler thrown in)

and then

Denver third

for

Cleveland's Derek Anderson

They can now fill their holes with the 12th pick, our picks, and the rest of their draft. I imagine that McDaniels would find a pet project QB of his own in the draft.

Hell they could sign Byron Leftwhich or Jeff Garcia out of FA. Those guys are better bridge gaps then a lot of QBs under contract. W
Old 03-16-2009, 08:35 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thats a steep price for a guy has proven nothing without Shanahan.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:38 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

3 way trade

Denver-get a peppers
Lions or Tampa -get cutler
Panthers-get a first round pick from Lions or Tampa.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:55 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
We can make Denver the best offer out of anybody. We still have a ton of cap. Yes Denver has a lot of holes, but thats what all the draft picks would be for. Don't sleep on Chris Simms either. Gruden was a hindrance to his development.

Quote:
I could see the Browns being involved but Derek Anderson being moved instead.
This doesn't make any sense at all. The reason Brady Quinn would be so attractive to McDaniels is the fact he spent years under Charlie Weiss, McDaniels mentor.

Quote:
Denver would maybe do something like this

2010 2nd rounder
I don't think Detroit can afford to make this trade. Detroit needs three starters out of day one.

Quote:
Jay Cutler
(I'd want Scheffler thrown in)

and then

Denver third

for

Cleveland's Derek Anderson
Mangini doesn't like Brady Quinn and they have already paid the most of Anderson's salary for this year. Cleveland wouldn't trade Anderson for a third round pick. =
Old 03-16-2009, 09:09 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the reason the Browns paid DA's contract was 1) obviously to compete for the starting job, but also 2) to make him more attractive in a trade scenario, so they can get something like a third rounder. But that being said, I could see either getting traded. The Broncos almost definitely won't take DA, but I think the Browns would be very open to a trade partner for him.

Just a side-note though, but the Packers intentionally spurned the Bucs last year and I think a decent amount of it had to do with the fact that they played each other this past year, and the Browns and Broncos do the same this year. So, I'm not so sure if I see them involved in a trade, either one-on-one or in a three-way scenario. But who knows. That's just a guess.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

This doesn't make any sense at all. The reason Brady Quinn would be so attractive to McDaniels is the fact he spent years under Charlie Weiss, McDaniels mentor.

I don't think Detroit can afford to make this trade. Detroit needs three starters out of day one.

Mangini doesn't like Brady Quinn and they have already paid the most of Anderson's salary for this year. Cleveland wouldn't trade Anderson for a third round pick. =
How do you know Mangini doesn't like Brady Quinn? Cleveland would be lucky to get anyone to offer a third for the garbage he was last year. DA goes before Quinn I can almost guarantee that. And if you are Cleveland why wouldn't you just hold onto Quinn and keep your picks? If the trade DA they are taking advantage of their QB surplus.

Cutler would be worth it. He makes up for deficiencies. If you can keep the #1 pick and get him thats an A draft.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:05 AM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
How do you know Mangini doesn't like Brady Quinn? Cleveland would be lucky to get anyone to offer a third for the garbage he was last year. DA goes before Quinn I can almost guarantee that. And if you are Cleveland why wouldn't you just hold onto Quinn and keep your picks? If the trade DA they are taking advantage of their QB surplus.
This entire scenario is just so completely illogical.

Quinn is a more attractive candidate to DENVER because Quinn is familiar with Charlie Weiss/Josh McDaniels prospect. He is probably the most attractive QB for Denver outside of Kansas City and New England.

Quote:
Cutler would be worth it. He makes up for deficiencies. If you can keep the #1 pick and get him thats an A draft.
I agree, but there is no chances they can make an offer worth Denver's while.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:06 AM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I think the reason the Browns paid DA's contract was 1) obviously to compete for the starting job, but also 2) to make him more attractive in a trade scenario, so they can get something like a third rounder. But that being said, I could see either getting traded. The Broncos almost definitely won't take DA, but I think the Browns would be very open to a trade partner for him.
J-E-T-S Jets! Jets! Jets!

Quote:
Just a side-note though, but the Packers intentionally spurned the Bucs last year and I think a decent amount of it had to do with the fact that they played each other this past year, and the Browns and Broncos do the same this year. So, I'm not so sure if I see them involved in a trade, either one-on-one or in a three-way scenario. But who knows. That's just a guess.
Teams have also worked with teams they play.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:18 AM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
This entire scenario is just so completely illogical.

Quinn is a more attractive candidate to DENVER because Quinn is familiar with Charlie Weiss/Josh McDaniels prospect. He is probably the most attractive QB for Denver outside of Kansas City and New England.

I agree, but there is no chances they can make an offer worth Denver's while.
So your reasoning for Mangini not liking Brady Quinn is because McDaniels is more likely to covet Quinn as compared to DA?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The latest rumor has Cutler to Carolina for Peppers which seems like a natural to me. Carolina needs a QB not draft picks so we would be out of the equation. If Detroit wants him he'll cost an Eli price with both our #1's going to Denver and maybe a small price next year as well. Still I'd make the trade for a proved 25 year old QB.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:04 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
3 way trade

Denver-get a peppers

Considering Carolina is pretty desperate for a QB why would they involve the Lions. Just Peppers straight up for Cutler.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:48 AM    (permalink
blink18352

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
3 way trade

Denver-get a peppers

Well that would be a nice trade. however you can cut tampa out of that deal. Carolina is not going to make that trade just to get rid of their best defender for a 1st round pick, and then it brings in a pro bowl QB into their division so they can play him 2 times a yr
Old 03-18-2009, 12:55 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They mentioned on the radio about another possible 3-way.

Detroit gets Jay Cutler

Denver gets Brady Quinn

Cleveland gets #20 or #33
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:44 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post

Detroit gets Jay Cutler

Denver gets Brady Quinn

I had that idea in here earlier, but IMO Denver would probably want more than just Brady in return for Cutler.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:18 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Edit:: Nevermind, I suck at three way trades

Last edited by WMD : 03-18-2009 at 02:22 PM.
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:52 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about this?

Sims and 20 for Cutler.

Get a good LB along with 20. If we need to throw in a 3rd and a future pick so be it but i dont htink thats all that bad...
Old 03-22-2009, 12:30 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
What about this?

Sims and 20 for Cutler.

Get a good LB along with 20. If we need to throw in a 3rd and a future pick so be it but i dont htink thats all that bad...
Wow thats a whole lot for Cutler. Thats like pick 9 and pick 20 and our defense is weakened, which is almost impossible but losing Sims does that. I'd rathe just take Stafford.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Denver is moving to a 3-4 defense, they don't need Sims.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:55 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Denver is moving to a 3-4 defense, they don't need Sims.
alright good call i forgot about that.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do agree with you and the others who mentioned it, that a trade proposal for Cutler would basically be built around the 20th overall pick. Especially as Tampa has #19.

Still, ultimately, even with all the acrimony in the air and in the press, not sure if the Broncos do trade Cutler. McDumbass can't be that stupid.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:40 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post

Detroit gets Jay Cutler

Denver gets Brady Quinn

It seems far more likely that Detroit would have to give up 20 and 33, 20 to Cleveland and 33 to Denver. The combined value of the two picks is about the 8th pick in the draft, which is still a hell of a deal for Cutler.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:58 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

One scenario that I'm thinking might work is:

3 team trade with Cleveland and Denver:

We give #20 and #82 to Cleveland for Brady Quinn, Shaun Rogers, and #50

We then Ship Brady Quinn, Shaun Rogers, #50, and 2010 2nd to Denver for Cutler.

Do from our standpoint we give up #20, #82, and 2010 2nd. This could put us in the ballpark in general, but it would really give us a fighting chance because we could help fill 2 of Denver's needs, QB and NT.

Cleveland might do this because they have 2 QBs so they might decide to try to get value for one of them while they can and Shaun Rogers wants out and didnt report to the OTA last week, with this package it'd give them a value of around #29. In return they'd put themselves in a prime position at #20 to either get a great compliment to Braylon, grab one of the top 2 RBs, or maybe try to package it with #82 and move up for a pass rusher. At #5 they'd probably grab Raji.

With us maybe we'd have to give up #33 instead of 50, but then maybe we could get Jarvis Moss or Tim Crowder in addition to Cutler.

Last edited by woodnick : 03-22-2009 at 02:02 PM.
woodnick is offline   Reply With Quote