Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-08-2009, 01:00 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Chung just isn't that great in coverage. He has problems matching up with TE's and shouldn't even be asked to try and cover a WR. He's limited to press coverage (like so many guys in college are) and he's more of an in-the-box type of guy.

Beyond that, he is supposedly an idiot. No off the field problems that I'm aware of, but I've heard teams are skeptical that he can be the leader of a secondary. He needs others to tell him where to go and what to do. He's not a cerebral player.

So lets think about this -- a Safety who can't cover, can't lead the secondary, and needs to be told where to go and what to do in order to be successful. His strengths are in the box, which he displayed while playing the Rover position at Oregon.

Sounds like Roy Williams.

I'm just not a Chung fan. I would like to be, but there are too many things about him that I don't like.
Agreed, they need a safety who isn't a coverage liability & can still intimidate receivers with his hard-hitting & control the middle of the field. No more Roy Williams clones, he singlehandedly cost them games last yr. when opponent OCs exposed him in coverage.

Being a hardcore Alabama fan I've followed Rashad Johnson closely & he fits the bill. He hits from the SS spot like Rodney Harrison & Steve Atwater used to & is the best the Crimson Tide has had there since Roman Harper, he can cover too, has great ball skills & is a leader, 2-time Tide defensive captain. He's done a number on Massaquoi other WRs in the SEC with 11 INTs the last 2 seasons. As such he's the 2nd-ranked (per PFW) SS climbing up draft boards like gangbusters, with no 1st rd. pick Dallas may have to work a deal to move up & get him, no way he'll be there at #52 overall. I think he's look great with a blue star on his hat.

Last edited by LizardState : 04-08-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:17 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
Agreed, they need a safety who isn't a coverage liability & can still intimidate receivers with his hard-hitting & control the middle of the field. No more Roy Williams clones, he singlehandedly cost them games last yr. when opponent OCs exposed him in coverage.

Being a hardcore Alabama fan I've followed Rashad Johnson closely & he fits the bill. He hits from the SS spot like Rodney Harrison & Steve Atwater used to & is the best the Crimson Tide has had there since Roman Harper, he can cover too, has great ball skills & is a leader, 2-time Tide defensive captain. He's done a number on Massaquoi other WRs in the SEC with 11 INTs the last 2 seasons. As such he's the 2nd-ranked (per PFW) SS climbing up draft boards like gangbusters, with no 1st rd. pick Dallas may have to work a deal to move up & get him, no way he'll be there at #52 overall. I think he's look great with a blue star on his hat.
I wouldn't say "no way"....he definately could be available at 52. Delmas could even fall to us at 52 and I don't think it's really a question he'll be the first Safety off the board. Teams aren't sold on Johnson from what i've heard...he could be a classic case of a guy who doesn't have the elite measureables...but is just a football player...those guys always slip a bit on draft day.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Johnson, too.

As far as I'm concerned, any guy that can be that good and that productive in the SEC is a player.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

I just can't be talked into spending our first pick in the draft on a safety, especially when all of them, including Delmas, have question marks.

Delmas might not have the frame that will hold up at the NFL level and he's an ankle tackler, Chung and Moore are in-the-box, Johnson is just an average prospect. None of these guys (aside from Delmas) have been able to separate themselves from the others.

If these guys were carried over to next years draft, most would be late 2nd-mid 3rd grades at best.

I guess my feeling is that none of these guys scream game changer to me. If safety is so important to this team, then why spend a pick this year on a guy who might need to be replaced 2 years from now?

I'd say all of the safeties are pretty much 50-50 in terms of even qualifying as starters. It's just not a risk I would take personally.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:29 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I like Johnson, too.

As far as I'm concerned, any guy that can be that good and that productive in the SEC is a player.
/insert marcus spears comment here....and any other sec player that never amounted to anything....the only sure thing coming out of college football the last 10 years...was that span of Hurricanes....that came in at a high level.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I just can't be talked into spending our first pick in the draft on a safety, especially when all of them, including Delmas, have question marks.

Delmas might not have the frame that will hold up at the NFL level and he's an ankle tackler, Chung and Moore are in-the-box, Johnson is just an average prospect. None of these guys (aside from Delmas) have been able to separate themselves from the others.

If these guys were carried over to next years draft, most would be late 2nd-mid 3rd grades at best.

I guess my feeling is that none of these guys scream game changer to me. If safety is so important to this team, then why spend a pick this year on a guy who might need to be replaced 2 years from now?

I'd say all of the safeties are pretty much 50-50 in terms of even qualifying as starters. It's just not a risk I would take personally.
I'm ok with going with a safety in Round 2 as long as we're not looking at it as if we're forcing ourselves to take one. I want BPA that fits a need. Sean Smith would make me happy.

But my boy Darcel McBath can be had in the 3rd and I would prefer that. McBath is the MAN! Help spread the hype!!!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:49 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
/insert marcus spears comment here....and any other sec player that never amounted to anything....the only sure thing coming out of college football the last 10 years...was that span of Hurricanes....that came in at a high level.
How bout my man Skyler Green? He was so dominate in the nfl...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I'm ok with going with a safety in Round 2 as long as we're not looking at it as if we're forcing ourselves to take one. I want BPA that fits a need. Sean Smith would make me happy.

But my boy Darcel McBath can be had in the 3rd and I would prefer that. McBath is the MAN! Help spread the hype!!!
Sean Smith is the only guy I would be ok with, but I'm sure he'll be gone.

The sad part is -- He's a developmental guy and I would prefer him over all of the true safety prospects.

The thing that depresses me about this year is that I look to next year and I see so many guys that would be chosen ahead of this years safety crop.

Eric Berry
Taylor Mays
Major Wright
Morgan Burnett
Reshad Jones
Devonte Shannon
Darell Stuckey

I'd MAYBE put Delmas on par with the last 3 if they don't improve a whole lot this year, but all the other safeties in this class fall below all of these guys that will be available in 2010.

I just think it would be beneficial for us long term to build the front 7 now and wait for safety next year when we have a 1st rounder.

I mean we signed Sensabaugh to be a stop-gap or resign him if we choose to do so. What is the logic behind spending our first pick in this draft on a safety? I don't get it or want it.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:01 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
NT/DE Dorrell Scott, Clemson

NFL COMBINE NOTES:
http://rubtherock.blogspot.com/

he NFL combine featured Clemson Tigers football DT Dorell Scott participating in drills on Monday. Scott measured at 6'3 1/4 and weighed in at 312 lbs. He was listed on the CU roster and the last regular season game depth chart at 6'3, 310. While neither of Dorell's two 40 yard dash drills were televised, he ran a blazing (for a DT) 4.95. This was the 3rd quickest time out of all 24 participating DT's, with two players ahead of him tying at 4.89. Scott's time was one of only 4 in the entire group that was under 5 seconds.

Dorell was not listed in the NFL.com's top performers in the drill because DT's are lumped in with DE's, who are typically faster, under the broader DL category. Just a side note here: The reason that Scott's dashes were not part of the NFL Network's featured coverage was because he was player #45 and BC's B.J. Raji was player #43. Raji is one of the more acclaimed DT's at the combine and both times after his dashes, the network went to commercial. So, it was just an unfortunate luck of the draw with respect to Scott's player number being right behind him.

In the bench press drill, Scott completed 29 reps with 225 lbs. The average of the 19 participating DT's was 28.4, which put him right in the middle of the group. Ga. Tech's Darryl Richards only completed 17 reps and finished at the bottom, while Michigan's Terrance Taylor completed the most with 37. Scott obviously didn't hurt his "stock" with this performance and combined with his speed in the 40 yd. dash, probably impressed the scouts and NFL personnel in attendance.

Dorell did get some "face time" on tv in three other drills. The first was an agility drill that required a lateral shuffle over a set of bags and then running forward and back through the lanes in the bags before finishing with a short sprint. I thought Scott looked good in this one. Next was a pass-rushing drill that featured two "dummy" bags that the players used a rip or swim technique on while trying maintain a tight arc around the second bag. Again, I thought Dorell performed well.

In the next drill, I thought Scott did fantastic. This drill required the players to stay low and keep good form while delivering a blow to three standing dummy bags and then tapping another bag on the turf that was in betweent those. It sounds odd and it looked odd but nevertheless, Dorell performed as well as anyone in the drill and again I think again could have only helped his stock rise. There were many players bobbing up and down who were using poor technique and body mechanics.

The final drill was another one emphasizing agility and footwork. The player lines up in a 3 point stance and has a coach five yards in front of him. The player fires off the line and has to make a hard cut either left or right but doesn't know which way until the coach points in that direction. The player then makes another hard cut between a set of cones and then finishes with a 20 yard dash. I sound like a broken record but in my opinion, I thought Scott did great in this drill as well.

It's known that Clemson offers some of the very best DL coaching in the nation. Scott is the latest DL prospect to come out of a school that has churned out many NFL Defensive Linemen.

I think Dorrell can be molded into a better 3-4 NT or 3-4 DE depending on how the staff wants to use him. His frame is moldable. He's got the capacity to add more if he needs to or drop some if he needs to. He's got enough speed to make it work at end, and he has the experience at NT. His technique is sound and there are several reasons why I think he's flying under the radar right now.

1. Clemson had a down season.

2. He suffered through a knee sprain in his senior year.

3. After averaging 50 tackles and 4 sacks in his Sophomore and Junior year, his stats took a hit in his Senior year when he only totaled, 39 tackles and 1 sack. He did increase his TFL though.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scouti...rell-Scott.php

IMO, Scott has him ranked way too low. He'll be drafted ahead of many players on his DT rankings.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/rankings/dt.php

Just a short Hype Post but I wanted to give notice to someone who I think is flying under the radar. I'd love to have him over Ron Brace. I'll probably do a few more of these shorter ones.
Scott just posted his scouting report.

Late Round/FA pick up... I like the sound of that. Here we better come! :)
Old 04-11-2009, 09:24 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Scott just posted his scouting report.

Late Round/FA pick up... I like the sound of that. Here we better come! :)
This exactly the type of prospect I want for a NT if we ignore the need early on.

Big, can get bigger, under 5 Forty is pretty amazing at that size.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
This exactly the type of prospect I want for a NT if we ignore the need early on.

Big, can get bigger, under 5 Forty is pretty amazing at that size.
That's what's up baby. Another reason I hate Brace. Brace is so overrated at this point... Ugh... makes me mad.

Here's another big brotha I wanna hype.

NT Vaughn Martin

Pro Day:
Height: 6031
Weight: 331
40 Yrd Dash: 5.00
20 Yrd Dash: 2.88
10 Yrd Dash: 1.68 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 33
Vertical Jump: 31
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.31
3-Cone Drill: 7.28

Career Notes

In 24 games at Western Ontario, Martin registered 92 tackles (57 solos) with 7.5 sacks for minus 34 yards, 17.5 stops for losses of 66 yards and 22 quarterback pressures...Also recovered three fumble, returning one 41 yards, caused two fumbles, had a safety and returned an interception for a touchdown...Carried four times for 10 yards, including a pair of touchdowns.

Positives: Martin has a well-built frame with long arms, good chest muscle definition, tight waist and decent thickness in his thighs and calves. He actually looks a bit lean with his V-shaped torso and will surprise people when they find out he weighs more than 330 pounds. Martin lacks sudden explosiveness, but shows the initial quickness, balance and body control to charge hard in his backside pursuit. He keeps his pads down nicely for a player of his size and this allows him to gain position and hold his base well vs. double teams. He has the functional change of direction agility to work his way down the line. His arm strength lets him consistently gain separation, stuff and shed. He also has the feet to adjust on the move.

Negatives: He might be at maximum growth potential, as any additional bulk on his frame could impede his explosion off the snap. Martin is still a neophyte on the football field, having just two years of college and one year of prep school experience. He has played mostly on sheer instincts, but is a highly intelligent player who will not have problems retaining plays. Martin plays with good intensity and effort. He is very tough in the trenches.

Compares To: GRADY JACKSON, Detroit -- Much like when Jackson entered the NFL in 1997, Martin is rawer than sushi when it comes to playing the game of football. He is like a bull in a china shop in the trenches, hitting everything in sight based on sheer instincts rather than knowledge. He will need a patient coach to help him learn the techniques of the game and the team that selects him will have to give him a crash course in how to play American-brand football and help him adjust from the Canadian game, but his athletic ability is awesome and while he is a boom or bust type, with his work ethic and desire don't bet against him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-vaughn-martin

We have all heard of the small school prospect. Perhaps a player like Marques Colston will emerge from a school like Hofstra, or Steve Smith and Chad Johnson both emerge from the same junior college.

The NFL, however, has never seen anything quite like 22-year old Vaughn Martin. An intriguing article on NFL.com prompted me to take a look at this "mystery" prospect.

Martin is a red-shirt sophomore out of Western Ontario University, a school not known for producing many NFL studs. In fact, Martin would become the one and only Western Ontario player to grace an NFL field in 2009.

So why bring this kid up? He's just another NFL hopeful right? Wrong.

At a recent pro day held just across the border between the United States and Canada, Martin wowed scouts with his athletic ability. He measures at 6'4" 327 pounds, and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.04 seconds. He also threw up 225 pounds on the bench press 32 times.

Even though he passed up a chance to play defensive tackle for the Michigan State Spartans coming out of high school, he still plans on playing professionally nowhere but here in the United States, even forgoing three years of college eligibility to do so.

“I’m raw, but I am extremely athletic,” Martin told NFL.com. “I am bigger than most of the guys already playing those positions and I’m tough. With me, you get a blank canvas to mold into whatever you want to mold me into.”

Martin's passing on three years of eligibility doesn't affect him with Western Ontario, and even if he goes undrafted, he can still return there and play football again. However, he has no intentions of pursuing that option.

It will be interesting, at the very least, to see what happens to this "diamond in the rough" come draft day.

http://www.gazette.uwo.ca/article.cf...y=18&year=2006

If you’ve followed Western Mustangs football for the past two seasons, you’re probably familiar with Vaughn Martin.

What you may not know is that the six-foot-three, 328-pound defensive lineman declared his eligibility for the 2009 National Football League draft last week.

If Martin is drafted or signed as a free agent, he’ll be the 24th Canadian Interuniversity Sport player, and fifth Mustang, to make an NFL roster.

Martin may have played his final down in Purple and Silver, as 24 of the 32 NFL teams have already expressed interest in him.

“The teams that have looked at him like what they’ve seen,” Western head coach Greg Marshall said. “They like Vaughn. They think he’s athletic, they think he’s a good kid and someone that they can coach.”

Martin has already taken the Wonderlic — an aptitude test taken by all prospective draftees — and scored a 38, placing him in the 99th percentile.

As well, Martin tallied 31 reps of the 225-pound bench press, which would place him in a tie for seventh amongst the 53 defensive linemen that were invited to the NFL combine.

Even though Martin was not invited to the combine, his agent, former Mustangs receiver Matt Baxter of Enter-Sports Management, has scheduled two pro days in March for scouts to evaluate his abilities.

“He needed for a few more teams to ask for him to be there,” Baxter said. “It just gives him a couple more weeks to work on his speed and strength.”

Even though Martin has only been playing football since the 10th grade, his athleticism and ability to learn quickly make him attractive to NFL teams.

“There’s a lot of big guys [in the draft], but none as athletic as Vaughn,” Marshall said. “Vaughn’s a big man who moves with a lot of quickness, a lot of agility and a lot of power.”

Yet amidst the excitement of playing professional football, Martin admitted his decision to declare was difficult.

“It’s bittersweet because I really do love it here,” Martin said. “I really love this program. I love the school.”

But after consulting the NFL advisory committee, he was given the thumbs up to pursue the draft.

“They basically look at everything — your film, they call teams, etc. — and they look to see how much interest is out there,” Martin said. “They looked and reviewed my stuff and said, ‘Yeah, you should probably come up this year.’”

Playing in the CIS added an additional incentive, as players retain their eligibility to play university football after declaring for the draft whereas NCAA players do not.

Whether or not Martin will utilize his remaining three years of eligibility is unknown, but teams are definitely interested.

“At the very least, if he goes undrafted, a few teams have already said they would bring him into training camp,” Baxter said.

It is not uncommon for undrafted players to make an impact on their respective teams.

Kurt Warner, Antonio Gates and Adam Vinatieri all went undrafted.

So did Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison, who helped his team win a Super Bowl and was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year last season.

While it may be too early to speculate, cracking an NFL roster seems like a realistic goal for Martin.

“We’ll make plans that he’s not going to be here,” Marshall said. “If he’s back, then great for us, but we really want to wish him well.”

Despite the possibility of losing one of his best players, Marshall is still confident in his team.

“It’s a win-win situation for us because if Vaughn makes the team in the NFL, it’s good for us,” he said. “Part of my job isn’t just to win championships and [the] Yates Cup; it’s to provide players with opportunities like this.”

Baxter remains optimistic about his client, regardless if Martin’s name is announced in late April.

“It only takes one of the 32 teams to take a chance on him,” Baxter said. “Whoever gets Vaughn will get one of the best steals of this year’s draft.”

http://www.nflcanada.com/News/2009/03/30/8940026.html

Vaughn Martin, a 6’3”, 313 pound defensive lineman who grew up in London Ontario, is attracting a lot of attention from NFL Scouts.

Vaughn, who was a member of the Forest City Thunderbirds and Team Canada at the 2006 NFL Global Junior Championship in Detroit, played last season for the University of Western Ontario Mustangs.

After consulting with the NFL Draft advisory committee Martin declared for the draft despite having three years of CIS eligibility remaining.

“They basically look at everything — your film, they call teams, etc. — and they look to see how much interest is out there,” Martin told the UWO Gazette. “They looked and reviewed my stuff and said, ‘Yeah, you should probably come up this year.’”

He has since worked our for dozens of NFL clubs and, according to TSN football analyst Duane Ford, is proving that he is not only a gifted football player but also a freakish athlete. According to Ford the Jamaican born Martin bench pressed 225 lbs. 33 times and, for a man of his size, a jaw-dropping 20-yard shuttle time of 4.31 seconds.

By entering the Draft and auditioning for NFL scouts Martin hopes to follow in the footsteps of Israel Idonije, Dan Federkeil and Samuel Giguere – all CIS players who were given a chance in the NFL due to raw athletic ability.

“The teams that have looked at him like what they’ve seen,” Western head coach Greg Marshall told the Gazette’s Kevin Melhuish. “They like Vaughn. They think he’s athletic, they think he’s a good kid and someone that they can coach.”

Martin’s Wonderlic score (an aptitude test taken by all prospective draftees ) was 38, placing him in the 99th percentile.

“It’s a win-win situation for us because if Vaughn makes the team in the NFL, it’s good for us,” Marshall told the Gazette. “Part of my job isn’t just to win championships and [the] Yates Cup; it’s to provide players with opportunities like this.”

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...aining-notice/

“Mystery” Defensive Lineman Gaining Notice
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 30, 2009, 2:29 p.m. EDT
Canadian defensive lineman Vaughn Martin is emerging as an eye-catching sleeper NFL draft prospect after a series of strong workouts.

The 6′4,” 327-pound Western Ontario standout ran the 40-yard dash in 5.04 seconds and bench pressed 225 pounds 32 times at his recent Pro Day.

There’s also a new YouTube video where Martin launches a scout into the air in a drill.

A former Michigan State recruit who opted to remain close to home and play in Canada, Martin left Western Ontario with three years of eligibility remaining to declare for the NFL draft.

“I’m raw, but I am extremely athletic,” Martin told NFL.com. “I am bigger than most of the guys already playing those positions and I’m tough. With me, you get a blank canvas to mold into whatever you want to mold me into.”

Although Martin, 22, is allowed under Canadian rules to return to school and retain his eligibility if he doesn’t get drafted, he has said he doesn’t intend to do so and will pursue the NFL regardless of whether he’s drafted or not.

A native of Jamaica who played high school football in Canada, Martin isn’t eligible for the CFL draft until 2011.

In addition to playing on the defensive line, Martin rushed for two touchdowns as a short-yardage back last season.

Ron Brace wishes he haul ass like this:

One of the most talented athletes in the Canadian collegiate ranks, Martin brought back memories of William "Refrigerator" Perry for his exploits as a short-yardage blocker and fullback during his second season with the Mustangs. Certainly in much better physical shape than Perry, he displays excellent explosion off the snap, utilizing that quickness to terrorize quarterbacks.

Having moved to defensive end for the 2008 campaign, Martin played a major role in the team's success en route to winning the Yates Cup and playing for the Vanier Cup (Canadian national title). His ability to handle multiple blockers and contain the inside running game saw his opponents frustrated, as they managed to gain only seven yards on 36 rushing plays (0.19 ypc) directed toward him. With his timing and leaping ability, he also saw his opponent complete just 3 of 16 passes into his area (18.75%) for a mere 6 yards.

Nicknamed "Vicious" by his teammates, the defensive line has come to rely upon him to serve as the unit's anchor. Former teammate and fellow down lineman Tom Dolezel recently stated, "We've been playing really well, but I think it is really because Vaughn has come in and basically anchored that strong side."

Born on the island of Jamaica, Martin was raised in Toronto and London, Ontario. He attended South Secondary School, playing football for head coach Mike Stenning. He competed as a defensive end, defensive tackle and fullback in high school, recording 90 tackles with five stops behind the line of scrimmage in 2004. The three-time starter was rated one of the top 12 defensive ends in Ontario by All-Star Football and Weir's Magazine. He also received a two-star prospect rating from Rivals.com.

Prior to beginning his collegiate career, Martin competed for two summers with the Forest City Thunderbirds in the Central Ontario Football League. He also was a member of Team Canada, playing in the 2006 NFL Global Junior Championship in Detroit. He was named to the NFL Global Junior Championship X All-Tournament Team after helping Team Canada to a perfect 5-0 record, including five shutouts.

That season, he finished fourth on the squad in tackles with 10 (9 solos) and made four tackles for losses (12 yards) in the tournament, including two sacks for minus 9 yards. He recorded three solo hits, including a 4-yard sack, in Team Canada's 10-0 victory over Team U.S.A. in the championship game. He also registered three solo stops, including one for a loss, in a third-round game vs. Team U.S.A and posted his first sack of the tournament in the opening-round game vs. Team Japan.

Martin's stellar performances drew the attention of several United States major colleges. He turned down scholarship offers from Toledo and Ohio University to enroll at Michigan State in 2006, but failed to qualify due to academic transcript issues. He then enrolled at Milford Academy, a prep school in New York.

Martin later returned home to Ontario, where Western Ontario head coach Mickey Donovan convinced the talented athlete to enroll at the university. After a lunch-time meeting, the coach was able to sway him from choosing other interested schools, including Concordia (CIS) and Akron, for the 2007 season. What also helped Martin in his decision was the fact that Chris Marcus, Western's former special teams coordinator, coached him at South Secondary School.

Martin saw action at defensive tackle and end during his first season at Western Ontario. On the field, he made steady progress each week, finishing the season with 56 tackles (35 solos), three sacks and a fumble recovery. Known both for excellent pass-rushing and run-stopping ability, his versatile defensive skill-set immediately put fear into opposing teams.

In 2008, Martin performed mostly at defensive tackle earlier in the year, but he also had great success filling in for injured teammate Chris Greaves at defensive end, earning GoodLife Fitness Athlete of the Week honors for his performance at that position vs. Queen's. In 12 games, he collected 36 tackles (22 solos) with 3.5 sacks, 7.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage and 13 pressures. He returned an interception for a touchdown, registered a safety, caused a fumble and recovered two others. He provided stellar blocking at the fullback position, where he scored twice on a pair of 3-yard rushing attempts, finishing with 10 yards on four carries.

GENERAL REPORT: GRADE: 6.10
Body Structure: Martin has a well-built frame with long arms, good chest muscle definition, tight waist and decent thickness in his thighs and calves. He actually looks a bit lean with his V-shaped torso and will surprise people when they find out he weighs more than 330 pounds. He might be at maximum growth potential though, as any additional bulk on his frame could impede his explosion off the snap.

Athletic Ability: Martin lacks sudden explosiveness, but shows the initial quickness, balance and body control to charge hard in his backside pursuit. He keeps his pads down nicely for a player of his size and this allows him to gain position and hold his base well vs. double teams. He has the functional change of direction agility to work his way down the line. His arm strength lets him consistently gain separation, stuff and shed. He also has the feet to adjust on the move. GRADE: 7.0

Football Sense: Martin is still a neophyte on the football field, having just two years of college and one year of prep school experience. He has played mostly on sheer instincts, but is a highly intelligent player who will not have problems retaining plays. All he needs is a patient coach to teach him proper technique and that coach will be rewarded with good value down the road. GRADE: 5.0

Character: Martin is articulate and a true class act. There are no off-field issues and he has been very receptive to whatever the coaches ask from him. He is much more mature than most players his age and is the type that not only shows initiative, but has a genuine good nature off the field. But he lives up to his nickname "Vicious" on the football field. GRADE: 6.0

Competitiveness: Martin plays with good intensity and effort. He is very tough in the trenches, where he certainly lives up to his nickname. You will never see him back down from a challenge and plays with such a nasty temperament, the coaches might need to ask him to tone it down, fearing for the opponent's safety. GRADE: 6.0

Work Habits: Despite his young age, Martin is a leader by example type. The staff says he will not only play with pain, but simply refuses to come off the field when hurt. He has a strong work ethic and is a good program type that does not hesitate to mentor the younger players. When in a crunch last year, the coaches asked him to play on offense as a short-yardage runner, producing three touchdowns on six carries in the process (two by Martin and another when he executed a lateral to a teammate after taking the ball to midfield, only to throw a block to spring his teammate for an eventual score). GRADE: 6.5

ATHLETIC REPORT: GRADE: 5.77
Explosion/Pursuit: Martin has good initial quickness coming off the snap, and for a player of his size that burst can surprise an offensive lineman. He has the ability to gain advantage when he keeps his feet on the move and the thing you notice on film is his ability to use his long reach to get his hands on an offensive lineman. Even when he is late off the snap, he does an efficient job of using his long arm reach and strength to gain advantage out of his stance. He has enough speed to slip off blocks and uses his hands well to keep the opponent off his body. He also shows enough functional quickness to pursue from the backside. GRADE: 6.2

Strength at Point: Martin shows that he has the ability to sit and anchor at the point of attack, but because of his relative inexperience playing football he just lacks consistency. However, when he plants his foot into the ground to anchor at the point of attack, he is quite effective at shooting the gaps when working in-line. He might be a better fit for tackle due to his lack of edge quickness, but he has the strength and size to destroy interior blockers on contact and bull rush with consistency. He has the bulk and raw power to control and separate, but will need some hand technique refinement. GRADE: 7.0

Use of Hands: Martin has yet to grasp the proper hand placement and technique, but just needs more reps and a patient teacher to further his development. Even though he is raw in this department, he demonstrates a punishing hand punch and excellent overall strength to easily handle multiple blockers, stack and control. When blockers do get into his chest (will short arm when he stands up), he still gives a good second effort in attempts to disengage. He has a strong hand punch, but needs to recoil and set quicker when engaging blockers. He also must keep his hands active, as he lacks ideal chop and rip moves when trying to disengage. GRADE: 5.4

Lateral Pursuit/Effort: For a player his size, Martin shows impressive balance and lateral moves. He keeps his feet and uses his long arms to avoid low blocks. With his quickness and hip flip, he is capable of getting an edge on blockers. He shows good desire and effort in his lateral pursuit (more on short area play than going long distances). He also plays with a steady motor, but sometimes his momentum will force him to out-run plays (needs to develop better stop-&-go action). GRADE: 6.4

Tackling Ability: Martin is raw technique wise, but when he plays at a low pad level he is an efficient wrap-up tackler whose strength lets him quickly disengage from blocks. He has the lower body power in his anchor to neutralize the double-team action, consistently stacking while holding ground. He shows the potential of being a solid open-field tackler, but first must grasp the concept for angling better. The thing you see on film is his ability to square up, bring his hips and drive through the ball carrier. GRADE: 5.3

Run Defense: Martin is still learning the nuances of the game, but he shows good urgency chasing the ball carrier, just needing to take better angles in pursuit. He shows the athleticism and body control to stay up and play the game on his feet. With his strength and bulk, he should not have problems vs. double teams, especially with his ability to hold and split through. He does a nice job of neutralizing the outside run and forcing it back inside. His long arms let him engulf ball carriers, showing good strike form to wrap, secure and take down. He will generally play at a good pad level, but will sometimes get high in his stance, resulting in blockers getting underneath his pads to lock him out. GRADE: 6.0

Pass Rush: Martin is really a bull in a china shop when he gets into the backfield, as he does not always take proper angles to seal the deal. He shows very good hip flip and hand usage, but he is just a raw, power-oriented pass rusher than an explosive edge rusher, making him a better candidate to play one-gap as a defensive tackle. He still lacks an array of moves as a pass rusher and is more of a "meat & potatoes" type that prefers to punish the blocker rather than try to avoid. GRADE: 5.0

Closing on the QB: Martin presses the corner well and uses his strength to compensate for adequate awareness and angling in attempts to pressure the pocket. He needs to learn how to gear down, as he will get too reckless and over-pursue the play, but with his raw strength he does have some success when he collides and pushes blockers back into the pocket. GRADE: 5.3

Instincts/Recognition: Martin is still developing valid instincts and great vision to quickly locate and run to the ball. He is making steady progress with his awareness of blocking schemes and does a good job of locking out blockers and locating the ball at the X's. He still needs to learn more technique (angling, more array of moves), but with his relative inexperience just give him a few years to see if he can develop. The potential could be limitless. GRADE: 5.3

Offensive Performance: Martin has additional value on offense, as he does a good job of staying low in his pads and squaring his shoulders to widen and sustain the rushing lanes as a lead blocker. He also uses his powerful leg drive to break tackles and can be a benefit to a team as a short-yardage runner, demonstrating good ball security and the hip snap to break tackles with his inside runs. GRADE: 6.3

OVERALL GRADE: 5.83

--Report by Dave-Te' Thomas
www.*************.com

Last edited by D-Unit : 04-11-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:42 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the sound of him, these athletic guys who need coached up on defense are always interesting to me because I like how Wade makes the scheme fit the players, so versatile athletic guys we can never have enough of...He has a history that some what resembles Jay Ratliff, highly athletic big man who has played multiple positions and could really come into his own once he has some coaching.

I love the info I'm getting about NT prospects, I am hoping to bring in one of these guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:16 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Roger Allen Missouri Western State 6'3 325

Testing:
40: 5.25
Vertical: 28 inches
Broad Jump: 9 foot 1
Short Shuttle: 4.80
3 Cone Drill: 8.30
Bench Press: 38 reps

The one thing you hear thrown around when talking about Roger Allen is, "is he the next Larry Allen", that alone should get Cowboy fans interest and see what he's about.

Here's someone I think fits the mold of what we want at Guard, I've been sporting him in my sig so I feel like I should talk him up a bit. We need another Guard and I feel like we can wait to take one, and I think he offers much of the same as Duke Robinson.

Not going to front like I saw him play, I don't remember getting many Missouri Western games lol but I did read up on him quite a bit so I'll let the experts give their take on him first:

Quote:
Pros: This guy can move!! He has great feet and hands and incredible power on the field. Great size with great feet is a rare find...

Cons: He does need to work on 40 time speed but more than makes up for it in the weight room.
http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com...ger_Allen/1538

Quote:
Run Blocking: Allen shows the loose hips and strong hand strike on contact to dominate the defender. He is a very good screen-and-wall off type who works hard to finish. He can punish his man when driving off his initial step and is a fine road grader who can drop his weight and drive through his blocks, thanks to above average leg strength. He is very good at using his hands to lock on (see 2008 Pittsburg State, Fort Hays State and Augustana games) and has a keen understanding for positioning. He has very good balance on the move, which is evident by his ability to land on second-level defenders. He will struggle with balance when he gets his base too narrow, but that is rare to happen. He displays good consistency in attempts to seal and wall off while working in unison with his center, showing ease of movement playing in space. When he gets position on a defender, he knows how to use his mass and hand punch to shock and jolt. He is also especially effective at gaining movement when he has an angle on people and works hard to maintain position and get movement at the point of attack. GRADE: 6.9

Pass Blocking: Having allowed just one sack in his last two years, Allen has done well in protecting his quarterback. He plays flat-footed and generates a strong anchor and power base. He uses his hands well to catch the defender and is quick to recover vs. counter moves. He has very good short area kick slide and hand usage, showing proper knee bend to quickly redirect. He is equally effective when anchoring and locking out vs. power as he is when sliding and adjusting to quickness. He uses his hands well to set and hold off on contact and has more than enough strength to anchor (could use more bulk for the NFL level). GRADE: 6.8

Compares To: BRIAN WINTERS, Kansas City -- Like Winters, Allen has been a model of consistency throughout his career. You can also see a little of Larry Allen (ex-Dallas and San Francisco) in his play, as he shows the same tenacity, brute strength and uncanny instincts to consistently be in position to lock on and control the defender. He is a true warrior who played part of the 2008 season with a shoulder injury that would sideline most others. With a weak crop of major college talent at this position, Allen could turn out to be the Cinderella story of the 2009 draft, especially since the shoulder injury that bothered him during 2008 was recently given a clean bill of health from renowned surgeon, Dr. James Andrews.

OVERALL GRADE: 6.64 *************.com
http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=112&f=1786&t=4080613

Also, something to take note of in the article:

Quote:
The Cowboys and Panthers invited him to their suite for an in depth interview during the combine:
Positive that he's on our radar.

Quote:
In the school's history, there has never been an offensive lineman that could dominate a game the way Allen did during his 48 contests starting for the Griffons. The former Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association Freshman of the Year (first offensive lineman to ever earn that award) has a mantel full of postseason honors for each of his seasons at MWSU.

The offense struggled most of the year, but their top prospect produced a league-high 107 knockdowns while posting 14 touchdown-resulting blocks. Allen finished his final season with a career-high blocking consistency of 88.25 percent, the highest mark earned by a blocker in the NCAA Division II ranks.
http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=112&f=1786&t=4080613

Quote:
The things to really like about Allen is his lateral movement and grades well all around on both run and pass blocking (only one sack is attributed to Allen in the last two years) and his character and work ethic on/off the field.
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/3...now-roger-alle

Quote:
Athletic Ability: Allen has outstanding power for a player his size. He shows good athletic agility getting out in front on sweeps and pulls and is very flexible when redirecting. He shows good knee bend and adequate quickness for a trap blocker and runs with a normal stride working into the second level. He demonstrates the fluid change of direction skills and proper weight distribution in space and has good body quickness in his kick slide. He also shows the foot agility, balance and body control to get out and stalk second-level defenders. He maintains good balance on drive blocks and is quick enough when running long distances. In the short area, he shows good balance and a fluid running stride. He is quick in his retreat setting up in pass protection and has the functional overall flexibility to get back into the action on the move, taking proper angles to neutralize linebackers. He plays flat-footed with his hands properly inside his frame to gain leverage. GRADE: 6.7

Football Sense: Allen plays with very good field awareness and vision. He shows valid instincts and the ability to adjust on the move to different schemes and needs just normal reps to retain plays. He understands all blocking schemes and options and is smart enough to be used in making calls up front. He has a good knowledge of the games, studies tapes and is well-prepared for his upcoming opponent. He has no problems digesting a complicated playbook or taking those plays from the chalkboard to the playing field. He makes good adjustments during game action and works well in unison with his other line mates. GRADE: 6.6

Character: Allen is a perfect mentor for the team's younger players. He has no known off-field issues and is the type that will play through pain. He communicates well with his teammates and staff and is highly respected by the organization. He is mature beyond his years and shows great responsibility, taking pride in his leadership ability. GRADE: 6.9

Competitiveness: Allen has a lot of moxie and aggression in his play. He competed most of the 2008 season with a shoulder problem, yet logged the most action of any offensive player. He is a very consistent performer who plays with good urgency. He simply dominated at this level of play and competes well vs. top-rated competition. He works hard to finish blocks and explodes with good force coming out of his stance. He plays at a high intensity level with tremendous aggression. He has this "search and destroy" attitude taking on level-two defenders and plays with an attitude that he would much rather punish his opponent rather than just contain them. He plays until the whistle and there is simply no quit in him (evident by his stellar performances throughout the team's loses in 2008). He will not hesitate in throwing an elbow (see 2008 Pittsburg State and Emporia State games) and shows outstanding tenacity in his overall play. His mean streak is evident throughout his play coming out of his stance, as he keeps his head on a swivel, looking for other targets to hit. He is known for his ability to look for defenders down field and attacks his man hard in every snap. GRADE: 6.8

Work Habits: Allen is well-known throughout the league as a tough, physical and determined player. He does the "little extras" after practices and in the weight room, puts in more hours watching tapes and is readily available to mentor younger teammates. He takes pride in his consistent performances and takes well to hard coaching. The staff calls him an outstanding worker and player on game day. He plays like he practices and is a good mentor on the offensive line. He has responded well to his two-time role as team captain and while he appears quiet at times off the field, he will not hesitate to take a teammate to task if he thinks that player is not performing to the best of his ability. Football is very important to him. GRADE: 6.7

Initial Quickness: Allen has good initial quickness to gain advantage, as he plays with a low pad level and shows good balance with his first step, generating suddenness and body quickness to leverage. He has the loose hips to make adjustments in space, but it is his pad level and hand punch that usually sees him gain instant advantage on a lethargic defender. He comes out of his stance with a wide anchor, good body control and keeps his hands inside his framework. He is best when used on short pulls, as his timed speed is just adequate when going long distances, though. He demonstrates good balance in his retreat setting up in pass protection. He gets off the ball with good urgency and pad level, and has the quickness to gain position off the snap and is very alert to movement, showing the nimble feet to redirect in the short area. He shows good snap quickness in the shotgun and knows how to get into position to sustain defenders. He has the explosion and arm reach to consistently establish himself getting into his reach blocks and in maintaining position. GRADE: 6.3

Lateral Movement: Allen is quite effective getting in front on short pulls and traps. His initial quickness on the pull lets him land on targets when working in close quarters. He takes good angles in space and makes proper adjustment moving into the second level. He is very balanced utilizing his kick slide, while also staying square and showing the ability to redirect. It is rare to see him revert to waist bending, as he shows good ability to flip his hips, sink his pads and flow with the play. He shows good agility in his kick slide and moves from side to side with good flexibility. The thing you see on game films (see 2008 Northern State, Pittsburg State and Emporia State games) is his ability to execute the mini-pulls and traps with ease of movement. GRADE: 6.9

Balance/Stays On Feet: Allen shows good cover-up ability on the move, consistently finishing once engaged with the defender. He has those good, long arms to leverage and control and excels when trying to reach and hold his position or when rerouting his opponent. In the past, he would sometimes bend at the waist, and it would lead to him over-extending on reach blocks. But during his last two seasons, he has learned to compensate, showing better patience to let the defenders come to him rather than lunge at his opponent. He has a strong anchor and base to maintain position and has shown very good hand placement in his quest to defeat counter moves. He comes off the snap with good explosion and does a nice job of keeping his feet and staying in control when on the move. He has good body control in his attempts to sustain and when he keeps his pads down, he does a great job of getting under defenders to leverage them during the running game. GRADE: 6.7

Explosion/Pop: Allen might generate great initial explosion, but he is much more effective on the short pulls than when running long distances (lack of great timed speed). He gets a strong initial surge on contact and is a classic mauler with a brutal hand punch to shock and jolt. He is especially effective helping out his center and is a dominating drive blocker at this level who combines strength and mass to sustain as an in-line blocker. His impressive upper body power lets him consistently shock defenders. When he sinks and rolls his hips, his explosion in the short area is excellent. He generates a strong punch in pass protection and maintains balance while showing he is quick to recover vs. speedy edge moves. GRADE: 6.6

He was also recruited as a DE, so we probably haven't seen the best of this guy just yet...Character wise, leadership qualities, a big mauler that has a mean streak, that's the type of Guard I want on my team.

Injuries would probably be his biggest downfall if you ask me, as he played through one injury and suffered a sports hernia in the Texas vs Nation game I believe which slowed his workouts, but could also make him be available at a reasonable time.

I'm very intrigued by his skill set and intangibles, he's got everything you look for in a starting Guard, and he's looking like he'll be a steal for somebody, hopefully our interest was of substance.

Quote:
Old 04-15-2009, 12:39 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Wow! I haven't even heard of him. Sounds/looks like a complete diamond in the rough. I WANT HIM! Like seriously... Can I put him in my ideal mock?

Strength/Athleticism/Smarts/Balance... and while I'm not racist, I like Black OL better.

Nice hype!
Old 04-15-2009, 05:19 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Throw him in there lol, I'm still a big fan of Duke in the 3rd if there but this guy offers alot of the same things and maybe more in the 5th/6th round...I am all for adding a Guard though and he's the type of guy I want, doesn't require an early pick but could easily win a starting guard spot sooner then later.

Quote:
Old 04-15-2009, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Wow! I haven't even heard of him. Sounds/looks like a complete diamond in the rough. I WANT HIM! Like seriously... Can I put him in my ideal mock?

Strength/Athleticism/Smarts/Balance... and while I'm not racist, I like Black OL better.

Nice hype!
That's funny D -- I'd almost prefer all black players except for Kicker/Punter/QB/TE and LB is a toss up for me.

Any WR/Oline/Dline/CB/S/RB should be black for me. I make exceptions for beasts like Columbo though. I love his attitude.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:45 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
That's funny D -- I'd almost prefer all black players except for Kicker/Punter/QB/TE and LB is a toss up for me.

Any WR/Oline/Dline/CB/S/RB should be black for me. I make exceptions for beasts like Columbo though. I love his attitude.
I'm right with you there. Race plays a factor in genes, so that's my logic.

As a Hawaii football fan, I'm the same with the Warriors... and that's what they do... they recruit Polynesians at FB, OL, DL, LB...even S. But at the skilled positions, that require speed, they go to the mainland to get Black players.... RB, WR, CB, LB. Our QBs... guess what color? White. It's been the best formula and best kept secret. Nobody will outright say it, but that's what they do.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:58 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Nice hype!
Belichick, Parcells, Coughlin and Shanahan might disagree over OL.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
Belichick, Parcells, Coughlin and Shanahan might disagree over OL.
I know this. I love Shanny's ZBS. His system made any RB look good.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:16 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Just stopping in for my yearly promotion of an lllinois State player.

This year- Tom Nelson, S, 6-0 200 lbs., 40 time- 4.40 (at Northwestern's pro-day)

Quote:
Strengths: Is an athletic safety who was a highly productive four-year starter at Illinois State. Is very smart and has great instincts, which helped him consistently be around the ball and make a lot of plays. Is quick and fast, giving him good range against the pass. Reads the QB well, breaks quickly and can get out to the sideline to help in over-the-top coverage. Has the hands to make tough interceptions when he is in position. Does a good job of planting, driving and closing quickly on passes in front of him; gets there in time to make the tackle right after the catch. Comes up quickly in run support; will fight to get to the ball carrier and is a willing tackler. Is a good punt and kick returner and played on all the special-teams coverage units in college.

Weaknesses: Is not huge and must become more physical against the run. Must improve at tackling bigger ball carriers. Is inconsistent in his ball skills and often does not break up passes when he is in position. Is not an elite athlete and will have trouble covering the top-level tight ends; also will struggle to cover slot receivers.

Bottom line: Nelson is an underrated safety who has not received a lot of publicity, but he has many of the tools to become a starter in the NFL. His combination of intelligence, instincts, toughness and better-than-expected athleticism make him a versatile defender who is consistently around the ball and making a lot of plays. Nelson won't be drafted as highly as we have him rated, but in time he will prove to be a quality starting safety. He reminds us of the Jets' Jim Leonhard, who came into his own during the 2008 season with Baltimore. Additionally, Nelson will be an impact special teams player as a rookie.
- http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/...yers/9080.html

fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I figured this is kinda fun... I like to do this to a few players every year and since these posts always get burried year after year, I thought this would be a nice way to find it again in the future when we look back and laugh. :D

So go ahead... Hype someone up! Post pics, videos, stats, personal analysis/opinions... the WORKS! :p
Remember this? It's back for 2009!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Supporting Caste
Rookie

Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha! Good work. What the hell happened to Pegues?

Some guys I was hyping in the 2009 draft:

(Players I'm convinced I was right about)

Jairus Byrd (How wonderful would it be to have this guy at FS now? UGH)

Chris Wells (If he stays reasonably healthy he'll be a top 5 RB in no time IMO)

Hakeem Nicks (GODDAMMIT JERRUH YOU LET THE GIANTS GET THE NEXT IRVIN AND WE HAVE ROY WILLIAMS INSTEAD AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH)

Brandon Pettigrew (but who didn't like him?)

Michael Oher (see Pettigrew)

Kory Sheets (I know he's done nothing but I'm entirely confident this kid will be a starter, and a good one)

(players it looks like I was wrong about)

Brian Robiskie (WTF Rob? It is early though)
DeAngelo Smith (Relative to his 5th round pick status...but still. He was just horrible)
Mike Mickens (Relative to his 7th round pick status...I still can't believe him and Smith. WTF, guys?)

(jury's out)

Louis Delmas
Connor Barwin (Guy is an incredible athlete, that's for sure)
David Veikune
Rashad Johnson
Travis Beckum (though I said he should move to WR)
Jason Phillips
Jarrett Dillard
Scott McKillop
James Davis

Also, I thought LeSean McCoy would be a turd. He's been good so far.

2010 edition coming soon.
Supporting Caste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supporting Caste View Post
Haha! Good work. What the hell happened to Pegues?

Some guys I was hyping in the 2009 draft:

(Players I'm convinced I was right about)

Jairus Byrd (How wonderful would it be to have this guy at FS now? UGH)

Chris Wells (If he stays reasonably healthy he'll be a top 5 RB in no time IMO)

Hakeem Nicks (GODDAMMIT JERRUH YOU LET THE GIANTS GET THE NEXT IRVIN AND WE HAVE ROY WILLIAMS INSTEAD AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH)

Brandon Pettigrew (but who didn't like him?)

Michael Oher (see Pettigrew)

Kory Sheets (I know he's done nothing but I'm entirely confident this kid will be a starter, and a good one)

(players it looks like I was wrong about)

Brian Robiskie (WTF Rob? It is early though)
DeAngelo Smith (Relative to his 5th round pick status...but still. He was just horrible)
Mike Mickens (Relative to his 7th round pick status...I still can't believe him and Smith. WTF, guys?)

(jury's out)

Louis Delmas
Connor Barwin (Guy is an incredible athlete, that's for sure)
David Veikune
Rashad Johnson
Travis Beckum (though I said he should move to WR)
Jason Phillips
Jarrett Dillard
Scott McKillop
James Davis

Also, I thought LeSean McCoy would be a turd. He's been good so far.

2010 edition coming soon.
Did you really want us to take Wells, Sheets and Pettigrew? I didn't value RB and TE that high.

Interesting that you were hyping Veikune. Go Hawaii!

Guys I was hyping for our first pick:
Rey Maualuga - Stud
Jairus Byrd - Stud
Sean Smith - Stud
Jarron Gilbert - Jury's still out

Hyping for our later picks:
Brandon Tate - Jury's still out
Darcel McBath - Jury's still out
Sherrod Martin - Is he alive???
Chris Baker - Jury's still out
Johnny Knox - Stud
Cornelius Lewis - Is he alive???
Frantz Joseph - I was dead wrong.
Dorell Scott - Is he alive???
Donald Washington - Is he alive???
Coye Francies - Is he alive???
Xavier Fulton - Is he alive???
Jarrett Dillard - Is he alive???
Sammie Lee Hill - Who?
Vaughn Martin - I think he's doing ok.

Guys I bashed:
Louis Delmas - I was wrong. He's good.
William Moore - Jury's still out
Patrick Chung - Mediocre
Ron Brace - Jury's still out
Darry Beckwith - Is he alive?
Brian Robiskie - Bleh
Mohamed Massaquoi - Bleh
Louis Murphy - Don't care

Last edited by D-Unit : 12-04-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Supporting Caste
Rookie

Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wasn't saying we should draft them, I just thought they'd be good players. I wanted us to draft Byrd and Nicks.

And dude, Sherrod Martin is playing well for the Panthers. 3 INTs and might be a starting FS for them soon.
Supporting Caste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:38 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supporting Caste View Post
I wasn't saying we should draft them, I just thought they'd be good players. I wanted us to draft Byrd and Nicks.

And dude, Sherrod Martin is playing well for the Panthers. 3 INTs and might be a starting FS for them soon.
That's cool. I thought we had a chance getting him. Haven't really followed guys.