Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 03-13-2009, 04:58 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Dude i put ND with the underachievers didnt I.
But it's funny that you put them in the same catagory, when you know if ND had SC's success as of late they would'nt be in your underachiever list...would they?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:01 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
But it's funny that you put them in the same catagory, when you know if ND had SC's success as of late they would'nt be in your underachiever list...would they?
We do get good talent but not he insane amount of talent SC gets.

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:12 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We do get good talent but not he insane amount of talent SC gets.
We fight over the same recruits, the talent level is not that different at ND. ND unlike USC will always get top recruits/national exposure/high profile coaches whether they deserve it or not. As a USC fan before the carroll the era, I know what it looks like when you're the second team in LA and not the first.

But anyway, the thing that seperates USC from ND is the big games. Sure you can bring up "USC upset by (insert random pac-10 team)______", but how many times have you heard "USC gets outclassed by superior team" or "USC just can't win the big games"? ND's biggest win under Charlie was a loss to USC.

That's what separates them right now.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:23 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We fight over the same recruits, the talent level is not that different at ND. ND unlike USC will always get top recruits/national exposure/high profile coaches whether they deserve it or not. As a USC fan before the carroll the era, I know what it looks like when you're the second team in LA and not the first.

But anyway, the thing that seperates USC from ND is the big games. Sure you can bring up "USC upset by (insert random pac-10 team)______", but how many times have you heard "USC gets outclassed by superior team" or "USC just can't win the big games"? ND's biggest win under Charlie was a loss to USC.

That's what separates them right now.
I'm not debating that usc is the far superior team over the last well decade (give me a sec im gonna throw up now). But I really feel that over the last couple of years USC robbed themselves. Sure they usually win the big ones and I do agree with you on that part 100% but that is also their weakness. They have everything to win it all every year and they manage to find a way to screw it up more often than not. Of course you can say that that stuff happens but i think not showing up for one or two games annually=shooting yourself in the foot= underachieving.
We on the other hand just flat our sucked the last couple of years which constitutes to a whole different form of underachieving(i have a good feeling about 10/14 though).

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:36 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm not debating that usc is the far superior team over the last well decade (give me a sec im gonna throw up now). But I really feel that over the last couple of years USC robbed themselves. Sure they usually win the big ones and I do agree with you on that part 100% but that is also their weakness. They have everything to win it all every year and they manage to find a way to screw it up more often than not. Of course you can say that that stuff happens but i think not showing up for one or two games annually=shooting yourself in the foot= underachieving.
We on the other hand just flat our sucked the last couple of years which constitutes to a whole different form of underachieving(i have a good feeling about 10/14 though).
Nobody has or ever will win it all every year. USC is doing what is expected of them, finish in the top-5 every year and possibly win a NC....IMO that's far from underachieving. You also have to remember that while USC has been upset so have the teams that have won, or have appeared in the NC for the last 4 years...it's just that USC is in the Pac-10 and they aren't allowed to lose one game.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:00 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They pull in great recruits and put out studs in the nfl. I'm probably missing the sarcasm in all of this.
Studs in the NFL? Most of their recent alumni have disappointed/underachieved/busted in the NFL.

Bobby Carpenter, Mike Doss, Dustin Fox, Vernon Gholston, Ted Ginn, AJ Hawk, Micheal Jenkins, Mike Nugent, Quinn Pitcock, Antonio Pittman, Ashton Youboty.

While their older alumni are all reaching a crossroads in their career.

Great recruits? You're thinking too recent. In 2003 their class wasn't even ranked. Prior to 2008 their classes were in the 15-range.

If they're still "underachieving" in 2-3 years, then we'll have a talk. I really like their past 2 recruiting classes so I doubt that'll happen though.

Sorry, I wasn't being sarcastic. Up until recently Ohio State has done pretty well at recruiting and putting out NFL talent. Winning a NC and losing 2 others while continually dominating your conference isn't exactly underachieving unless you consistently rake in top 5 classes and **** out high-achieving NFL players.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:09 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Studs in the NFL? Most of their recent alumni have disappointed/underachieved/busted in the NFL.

Bobby Carpenter, Mike Doss, Dustin Fox, Vernon Gholston, Ted Ginn, AJ Hawk, Micheal Jenkins, Mike Nugent, Quinn Pitcock, Antonio Pittman, Ashton Youboty.

While their older alumni are all reaching a crossroads in their career.

Great recruits? You're thinking too recent. In 2003 their class wasn't even ranked. Prior to 2008 their classes were in the 15-range.

If they're still "underachieving" in 2-3 years, then we'll have a talk. I really like their past 2 recruiting classes so I doubt that'll happen though.

Sorry, I wasn't being sarcastic. Up until recently Ohio State has done pretty well at recruiting and putting out NFL talent. Winning a NC and losing 2 others while continually dominating your conference isn't exactly underachieving unless you consistently rake in top 5 classes and **** out high-achieving NFL players.
good players, not bad at all.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
good players, not bad at all.
Good players? Sure.

Disappointing? I'd say so. Hawk was a top-5 pick, Ginn was a top-10 pick. Neither team's fan base will say they have lived up to their draft status.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-13-2009, 08:22 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Good players? Sure.

Disappointing? I'd say so. Hawk was a top-5 pick, Ginn was a top-10 pick. Neither team's fan base will say they have lived up to their draft status.
Hawk might not be Urlacher, but he was worthy of his 1st round selection...that high in the first, probably not.

Back to the topic at hand, tOSU are not underacheivers. Tell me what other teams in the B10 have as much talent as them if not more?
Old 03-14-2009, 12:13 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.

Virginia Tech has been underachieving recently. say what you want, but they have.
murdamal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Dude i put ND with the underachievers didnt I.
I was talking about the "weak schedule" comment.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:29 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdamal86 View Post
Virginia Tech has been underachieving recently. say what you want, but they have.
Not at all. Their talent level puts them right in the middle of the pack in the ACC. They win games because of great coaching on defense and special teams.

Did you watch the VT-Miami game? We were absolutely dominating them physically yet they managed to stay in the game and keep it to 1-possession. If talent determines the score we would've won by 20. They just make the right plays at the right moments.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-14-2009, 05:50 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Not at all. Their talent level puts them right in the middle of the pack in the ACC. They win games because of great coaching on defense and special teams.

Did you watch the VT-Miami game? We were absolutely dominating them physically yet they managed to stay in the game and keep it to 1-possession. If talent determines the score we would've won by 20. They just make the right plays at the right moments.
VT has been in the same spot for the last 8-10 years. always overhyped and always underachieved. call me harsh, but they always seem to finish with 3 losses or more.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No way. They consistently go to BCS games and get tens of millions of dollars brought into their school. Not like they have the greatest recruiting base either, underrated yes, but they also have to share it with a bigger state school.

If anything Virginia underachieves. They never win **** and they have just as much if not more to offer than V-Tech.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:36 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Because for the most part, Mark Richt can't win big games.
That was my point. Seems like underachieving to me.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:40 PM    (permalink
BUSTKUNTLAWL
Veteran

BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Clemson - I'd have to believe they are #1 on this list.
Illinois - Tons of talented athletes. Not even a bowl game last year.
ND - Obviously.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:47 PM    (permalink
Hokie_Pokie08
Rookie

Hokie_Pokie08 is a cocksman.Hokie_Pokie08 is a cocksman.Hokie_Pokie08 is a cocksman.

Quote:
VT has been in the same spot for the last 8-10 years. always overhyped and always underachieved. call me harsh, but they always seem to finish with 3 losses or more.
What are your expectations of VT then?
Old 03-14-2009, 08:02 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie_Pokie08 View Post
What are your expectations of VT then?
atleast ONE national title appearance since 2000. don't act as though VT hasn't been in position late in the season to get back there. it's always the SAME thing with VT: solid to great defense and a weak offense. if going 10-3 and 9-4 season in and season out is ok with you guys....ok.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:10 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
No way. They consistently go to BCS games and get tens of millions of dollars brought into their school. Not like they have the greatest recruiting base either, underrated yes, but they also have to share it with a bigger state school.

If anything Virginia underachieves. They never win **** and they have just as much if not more to offer than V-Tech.
see that's the thing. i place them in that category because they get to the BCS and have all that momentum going into the off season and into the beginning into next season and then seem to lose two games they shouldn't.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Hokie_Pokie08
Rookie

Hokie_Pokie08 is a cocksman.Hokie_Pokie08 is a cocksman.Hokie_Pokie08 is a cocksman.

Quote:
atleast ONE national title appearance since 2000. don't act as though VT hasn't been in position late in the season to get back there. it's always the SAME thing with VT: solid to great defense and a weak offense. if going 10-3 and 9-4 season in and season out is ok with you guys....ok.
So the fact that they have recruiting classes that usually rank between 25-30 in the nation doesn't factor into your decision? I could understand having that expectation if we were pulling top 10 classes, but that isn't the case. Hence why some would consider it a case where the coaching staff is doing more with less.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:45 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Peefs View Post
Why no mention of Georgia? That team pulls in a top 5 recruiting class every single year, yet I don't think they have even gotten to the SEC championship this decade. Year in and year our they have elite college players all over the field and can't win the big games.
UGA has won 2 SEC Championships in the past decade and finished in the top 3 twice. They would have played in the BCS Title game after the 2002 season if Ohio State and Miami hadn't finished patsy Big East and Big 10 schedules undefeated.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:21 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie_Pokie08 View Post
So the fact that they have recruiting classes that usually rank between 25-30 in the nation doesn't factor into your decision? I could understand having that expectation if we were pulling top 10 classes, but that isn't the case. Hence why some would consider it a case where the coaching staff is doing more with less.
and who's fault is that VT has low recruiting classes? don't say they can't bring in more top 10 classes when the state of VA got talent. and don't give me that "rankings" talk because your coach brings them in and has years to improve them, no?
Old 03-15-2009, 03:28 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
You just answered your own question.

VT always gets overhyped and the media places unfair expectations on them that are almost impossible to reach.

VT is consistently at the same level, regardless of talent, so every year the media expect them to get over the hump. Problem is, they're stuck on a plateau and that's because they don't have the marquee talent to dominate.

VT and their fans are in a very comfortable position and it's no place to complain. They're far from being underachievers, although the offensive playcalling could use a couple injections of life.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-15-2009, 03:46 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

Quote:
You just answered your own question.

VT always gets overhyped and the media places unfair expectations on them that are almost impossible to reach.

VT is consistently at the same level, regardless of talent, so every year the media expect them to get over the hump. Problem is, they're stuck on a plateau and that's because they don't have the marquee talent to dominate.

VT and their fans are in a very comfortable position and it's no place to complain. They're far from being underachievers, although the offensive playcalling could use a couple injections of life.
I guess i'd want more if i was a VT fan and wouldn't be "comfortable" going 9-3 and 8-4 but i guess that's the Gator success in me....
Old 03-15-2009, 03:46 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I guess i'd want more if i was a VT fan and wouldn't be "comfortable" going 9-3 and 8-4 but i guess that's the Gator success in me....
bahaha you must be a new Gator fan.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote