Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-12-2009, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
Its been less than a week, and I doubt Stewart kisses his ass.
Ok.

Edit:

They are both idiots (why anyone would listen, trust or give credence to either's advice on finances or politics is beyond me) yet I will watch just to see Stewart likely kiss Cramer's ass after less than a week of ripping him on his show.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:20 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Ok.

Edit:

They are both idiots (why anyone would listen, trust or give credence to either's advice on finances or politics is beyond me) yet I will watch just to see Stewart likely kiss Cramer's ass after less than a week of ripping him on his show.
you MAY be right on the ass kissing part..but, i'm not so sure. he does tend to kiss ass when he has a big name guest that he disagrees with, like Bill O'Reily...and there have been others. he kinda sells out so people like that keep coming on his show.

But, i don't think anybody gives two craps about Jim Cramer. so, we might see a show.
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe View Post
you MAY be right on the ass kissing part..but, i'm not so sure. he does tend to kiss ass when he has a big name guest that he disagrees with, like Bill O'Reily...and there have been others. he kinda sells out so people like that keep coming on his show.

But, i don't think anybody gives two craps about Jim Cramer. so, we might see a show.
No way in hell people in his demographic care more about Bill O'Reilly than Jim Cramer. His audience hates O'Reilly but like you said...he was a softy with him, he will be a softy with Cramer tonight too. I can tell you exactly how the interview will go:

Joke
Joke
Tough question about Bear Stearns
followup
Joke
Joke
I love you
/end interview

:cue huge ratings
Old 03-12-2009, 02:38 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No way in hell people in his demographic care more about Bill O'Reilly than Jim Cramer. His audience hates O'Reilly but like you said...he was a softy with him, he will be a softy with Cramer tonight too. I can tell you exactly how the interview will go:

Joke
Joke
Tough question about Bear Stearns
followup
Joke
Joke
I love you
/end interview

:cue huge ratings

i think the tone of the interview will be dictated by Cramer. if he's gonna come on and be nice, Stewart will lay off. but, if he comes out throwing punches and blasting Stewart for taking his quotes out of context, I think Stewart will follow suit and crucify him.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Quote:
i think the tone of the interview will be dictated by Cramer. if he's gonna come on and be nice, Stewart will lay off. but, if he comes out throwing punches and blasting Stewart for taking his quotes out of context, I think Stewart will follow suit and crucify him.
Cramer always comes out acting nice, he will be his usual zany, annoyingly funny (only to John Stewart and his live audience though, watch how much they laugh at his stupid jokes) self. He doesn't come out throwing punches.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:56 PM    (permalink
gameplaya2435
Rookie

gameplaya2435 is a cocksman.gameplaya2435 is a cocksman.gameplaya2435 is a cocksman.gameplaya2435 is a cocksman.

This whole "feud" is comical. Jon Stewart is just doing what he always does, a satirical show where he takes clips and quotes and points out the idiotic things people say. Some douchebag thinks that Jon Stewart is attacking him for taking things he said out of context/only pointing out his flaws/ what the **** ever. Not news. Yet CNBC is trying to blow this up in order to get more publicity for their ****** cable financial advice. It's one thing for Cramer to stand up there and say based on the market trends, here's what I think will happen. It's a whole other issue when he says this company will not fail. It will sell at $60/share soon. The market is getting better. Invest accordingly!

Of course some fool is going to see his show, think he knows what he's talking about and stick all their money in the next tanking Bank/Insurance Company.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameplaya2435 View Post
what the **** ever. Not news.
I think this is one thing a lot of people miss about The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. Neither of them are news shows, nor claim to be. Instead, they parody news shows and make satire out of them and the things that they cover. For ****'s sake, Crank Yankers used to come on before them.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I think this is one thing a lot of people miss about The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. Neither of them are news shows, nor claim to be. Instead, they parody news shows and make satire out of them and the things that they cover. For ****'s sake, Crank Yankers used to come on before them.
I had a friend tell me absolutely straight face and serious that he gets all his news from those two shows. I was floored by that, but he did not understand what could be shocking about that; he thought it was the most normal thing ever.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I had a friend tell me absolutely straight face and serious that he gets all his news from those two shows. I was floored by that, but he did not understand what could be shocking about that; he thought it was the most normal thing ever.
I dont know what to tell you. I can't say I get my news from there. I keep up with what's going on around the nation/world thanks to newspapers; I just enjoy watching satire.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Quote:
I dont know what to tell you. I can't say I get my news from there. I keep up with what's going on around the nation/world thanks to newspapers; I just enjoy watching satire.
You don't have to tell me anything other than my friend is a ******* idiot for letting that be a source of news for him haha.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:07 PM    (permalink
I KNOW IT ALL
Rookie

I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.

Quote:
Betting on football is frowned on in most of the country, while investing is what causes our economy to go, so there is pressure to invest.

Of course not, I know that investing is far from foolproof, but like Stewart said, I don't claim to be a guru, and it is irresponsible for anyone to claim intimate knowledge like CNBC does.

Yet he claims, a the very least insinuates, they are guarantees. That is where the problem lies.
Show me one example where Cramer has guaranteed anything. He is giving stock advice, just like THOUSANDS of other people. Ever watch BNN? Ever listen to Warren Buffet? Jim Rogers? Cramer did absolutely nothing wrong, nor did CNBC.

Further, you do not need any sort of licensing to give out stock advice on television.
I KNOW IT ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:09 PM    (permalink
I KNOW IT ALL
Rookie

I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.

Quote:
Even if it was an unprovoked attack it wouldn't be out of line. People are stupid, they will follow TV personalities advice. No, of course it shouldn't be illegal, but it is ethically wrong for CNBC to advertise Cramer in the way they do. They are using the phrase "In Cramer We Trust" to bring up images of an infallible god.
So you think some guy turns on CNBC, sees the slogan "In Cramer We Trust" and assumes he is an infallible god and his stock picks are going to be right 100% of the time?

Come on, what planet do you live on?
Old 03-12-2009, 04:11 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KNOW IT ALL View Post
Show me one example where Cramer has guaranteed anything. He is giving stock advice, just like THOUSANDS of other people. Ever watch BNN? Ever listen to Warren Buffet? Jim Rogers? Cramer did absolutely nothing wrong, nor did CNBC.

Further, you do not need any sort of licensing to give out stock advice on television.
I never said you did. You need licensing to give advice for compensation directly associated with that advice.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:17 PM    (permalink
I KNOW IT ALL
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
I never said you did. You need licensing to give advice for compensation directly associated with that advice.
Which has nothing to do with this thread at all, but OK...
Old 03-12-2009, 04:19 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Which has nothing to do with this thread at all, but OK...
Are you trying to say giving financial advice should be illegal?

you said that and i was going over the parameters in which you have the right to give out advice for a fee.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:20 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

Quote:
1-so, just to be clear, you have no problem with the dude on CNBC referring to the people losing their homes as "irresponsible losers"?

2-also, yeah, CNBC has every right to be wrong. and The Daily Show has every right to point out that they were wrong. so, what's the difference?
Old 03-12-2009, 04:21 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You don't have to tell me anything other than my friend is a ******* idiot for letting that be a source of news for him haha.
How does your friend enjoy those two shows then? In my case, i don't laugh, or appreciate the jokes as much if i don't know what's going on (don't keep up with news). I think it would be pretty pointless to watch it for news, since they hardly provide full stories, and the jokes aren't funny at all if you don't know the background on it.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:25 PM    (permalink
I KNOW IT ALL
Rookie

Quote:
1-so, just to be clear, you have no problem with the dude on CNBC referring to the people losing their homes as "irresponsible losers"?

2-also, yeah, CNBC has every right to be wrong. and The Daily Show has every right to point out that they were wrong. so, what's the difference?
As far as generalizations go, I don't think that's a terrible one to make. Obviously he should have worded it better but I get the point he's making. I also don't think they should be bailed out in any fashion. Americans have a NEGATIVE savings rate. That is ridiculous. For some reason people think they are entitled to have a $500k home, flat screen TVs, and two SUVs. Since a middle-class lifestyle can't afford that, they borrow the difference and now we're seeing the result of it. Is this the case for everybody that lost their home? Of course not, but the vast majority of people who did lose their home overspent and overleveraged.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Daily Show pointing out a mistake that Cramer made in his predictions. That's what the show does. I just don't get the argument that Cramer did something "wrong" or "unethical" when all he was doing was providing his opinion on the market. It's not like he was only one who was still bullish at that time.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:26 PM    (permalink
I KNOW IT ALL
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
Are you trying to say giving financial advice should be illegal?

you said that and i was going over the parameters in which you have the right to give out advice for a fee.
Right, but there's no fee involved so it really has no bearing on this conversation.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
How does your friend enjoy those two shows then? In my case, i don't laugh, or appreciate the jokes as much if i don't know what's going on (don't keep up with news). I think it would be pretty pointless to watch it for news, since they hardly provide full stories, and the jokes aren't funny at all if you don't know the background on it.

I don't know? We will have to ask him. He is a strange kid though, Peruvian and a closeted homosexual who acts exactly like Butters from South Park.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Daily Show pointing out a mistake that Cramer made in his predictions. That's what the show does. I just don't get the argument that Cramer did something "wrong" or "unethical" when all he was doing was providing his opinion on the market. It's not like he was only one who was still bullish at that time.
The problem is that while he is providing his opinions, the network CNBC, makes him out to be right. Whether he agrees with them projecting him as such is not what Stewart is attacking. The Daily Show was making a commentary on the network as a whole. All day, that network talks about what they cover as if they are the authority on the subject, thus, indirectly proclaiming they know the most. They play commercials that say that they are "the only network with the information and experience you need" as if you should look no where else for advice.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:40 PM    (permalink
I KNOW IT ALL
Rookie

Quote:
The problem is that while he is providing his opinions, the network CNBC, makes him out to be right. Whether he agrees with them projecting him as such is not what Stewart is attacking. The Daily Show was making a commentary on the network as a whole. All day, that network talks about what they cover as if they are the authority on the subject, thus, indirectly proclaiming they know the most. They play commercials that say that they are "the only network with the information and experience you need" as if you should look no where else for advice.
Every network does that. Every news network claims to be the most fair, balanced, informative, blah blah blah.

Show me even one example where CNBC made a claim that they cannot back up. They never said they were always right. They never said they were the best at picking stocks.

And who says CNBC isn't the authority on the stock market? Do you think ANY of the networks predicted the meltdown? Nobody did, or if they did, they are sitting on a pile of cash right now!
Old 03-12-2009, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Quote:
And who says CNBC isn't the authority on the stock market? Do you think ANY of the networks predicted the meltdown? Nobody did, or if they did, they are sitting on a pile of cash right now!

I am hoping/assuming this refers only to networks. Plenty of well respected people predicted this and the signs were/are fairly obvious.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:44 PM    (permalink
I KNOW IT ALL
Rookie

Quote:
I am hoping/assuming this refers only to networks. Plenty of people predicted this and the signs were/are fairly obvious.
People predicted this? Like who? And what were the signs?

You realize that you could have made millions upon millions of dollars if you predicted the meltdown, right?
Old 03-12-2009, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Quote:
People predicted this? Like who? And what were the signs?

You realize that you could have made millions upon millions of dollars if you predicted the meltdown, right?
Check out the hundreds of thousands of us who were Ron Paul/Peter Schiff followers. Do a youtube search of Peter Schiff predicts collapse. Here is a good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfascZSTU4o