Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-12-2009, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

and the most obvious sign BTW were me looking outside my window and seeing hundreds of thousands of new rooms going up in these huge condos in Hollywood, Hallandale and all of South Florida and using common sense saying where are all these buyers going to come from? Who is financing this? Why are people paying half a million for an 800 square foot one bed one bath Condo in Hollywood that would be $80,00 five years ago??

It was not right and if people used common sense instead of greed it was fairly obvious IMO.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:53 PM    (permalink
I KNOW IT ALL
Rookie

I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Check out the hundreds of thousands of us who were Ron Paul/Peter Schiff followers. Do a youtube search of Peter Schiff predicts collapse. Here is a good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfascZSTU4o
Right, so that's two guys? Out of thousands/millions? Come on...

Don't even get me started on Paul either...

Gold standard? LOL.
I KNOW IT ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
I KNOW IT ALL
Rookie

I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.I KNOW IT ALL is a cocksman.

Quote:
and the most obvious sign BTW were me looking outside my window and seeing hundreds of thousands of new rooms going up in these huge condos in Hollywood, Hallandale and all of South Florida and using common sense saying where are all these buyers going to come from? Who is financing this? Why are people paying half a million for an 800 square foot one bed one bath Condo in Hollywood that would be $80,00 five years ago??

It was not right and if people used common sense instead of greed it was fairly obvious IMO.
So why didn't you short the market and make a killing if it was so obvious?
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KNOW IT ALL View Post
People who bet on football games get hurt if they're wrong.

Are you trying to say giving financial advice should be illegal? If you are stupid enough to believe that investing in the capital markets is foolproof, you deserve to lose your money. Seriously, nobody is idiotic enough to invest their life savings into a stock because some talking head on TV said to do it.

The guy gives stock advice, not guarantees.
The difference is that if you lose on a football pick you lose 100% no matter what. If you lose on the stock market one day then you have thousands of other days to get out or for it to come back. Your stock may go down 1% here and another 1 % there. Very few you will see a stock crash like Bear Sterns or Fannie Mae. Everyone knew Fannie Mae and Citi were in trouble so people had their opportunity to get out. You can invest in Bank of America and pretty much lose 30% or gain 30% every day.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:55 PM    (permalink
I KNOW IT ALL
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
The difference is that if you lose on a football pick you lose 100% no matter what. If you lose on the stock market one day then you have thousands of other days to get out or for it to come back. Your stock may go down 1% here and another 1 % there. Very few you will see a stock crash like Bear Sterns or Fannie Mae. Everyone knew Fannie Mae and Citi were in trouble so people had their opportunity to get out. You can invest in Bank of America and pretty much lose 30% or gain 30% every day.
I have no clue what point you're trying to make here, sorry.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So why didn't you short the market and make a killing if it was so obvious?
How do you know I didn't? And it was not two guys, it was hundreds of thousands of his followers like me who were screaming this at the top of our lungs a year and a half ago.

EDIT: And let's not make this about Dr. Paul and his gold standard ideas as they will just lock this thread.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:02 PM    (permalink
I KNOW IT ALL
Rookie

Quote:
How do you know I didn't? And it was not two guys, it was hundreds of thousands of his followers like me who were screaming this at the top of our lungs a year and a half ago.

EDIT: And let's not make this about Dr. Paul and his gold standard ideas as they will just lock this thread.
So did you short the market or not? I somehow doubt it because you could be sitting on millions if you were so sure of the meltdown.

I think it's reasonable to say a lot of people expected a correction (as we tend to get every few years, last one was post 911/tech bubble) but nothing like what we're experiencing now.

So let's say good old Peter and Ron were wrong about this and the recession never came...would you be ripping them for pretending to be infallible or would you realize they just made a bad prediction?
Old 03-12-2009, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Quote:
So did you short the market or not? I somehow doubt it because you could be sitting on millions if you were so sure of the meltdown.

I did short the market but I am not sitting on millions. As the saying goes you need millions to make millions.

Quote:
I think it's reasonable to say a lot of people expected a correction (as we tend to get every few years, last one was post 911/tech bubble) but nothing like what we're experiencing now.
I think it is fair to say a lot of people did expect a correction but from where I am sitting I also think it's fair to say that a lot of us did expect things to get this bad and do expect it to stay bad/get worse.

Quote:
So let's say good old Peter and Ron were wrong about this and the recession never came...would you be ripping them for pretending to be infallible or would you realize they just made a bad prediction?
No. I would never blame someone for my losses as I am the one and only person responsible for my own actions. Come on, that is libertarian 101. :)
Old 03-12-2009, 06:11 PM    (permalink
I KNOW IT ALL
Rookie

Quote:
I did short the market but I am not sitting on millions. As the saying goes you need millions to make millions.

I think it is fair to say a lot of people did expect a correction but from where I am sitting I also think it's fair to say that a lot of us did expect things to get this bad and do expect it to stay bad/get worse.

No. I would never blame someone for my losses as I am the one and only person responsible for my own actions. Come on, that is libertarian 101. :)
OK, so we're on the same page. I'm not saying it's wrong to cut into Cramer for being wrong, that's perfectly acceptable. We always rip into people for predicting the wrong thing. But...we should never rip people for making predictions period. Sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong.

You could have easily leveraged yourself and shorted certain stocks like big financial conglomerates to make millions even if you only had thousands to play with.

The point is nobody knows exactly how the market is going to play out or the timing of it either. Plus, the market is 100% human-controlled so you're basically trying to predict how a huge group of individuals are going to valuate the future potential earnings of a company. Not an easy proposition for anybody.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:17 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this could get interesting. people saw it comming but didnt know how bad or when it was comming or which sectors(some have been doing ehhhh some have been ****)
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Last edited by bored of education : 03-12-2009 at 06:19 PM.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:18 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have no clue what point you're trying to make here, sorry.
Werent you guys arguing about why betting on fooball is illegal and the stock market is legal? I could have read it wrong.

One thing though is that no one is 100% sure on any stock. I used to hate Cramer back when people thought he was the best thing to ever hit the market. My stock would go down 10% one day with no news at all except for Cramer saying he doesnt like it. Now, not too many people buy or sell based on what he says nearly as much as when the show just started getting popular. He is an entertainer first and then a stock analysis second. He gets more money from that show than he does with his stocks.

Oh yeah, I dont know about other brokers but Fidelity has had a rule for quite some time that you cant short a stock without having at least one million dollars in your account. Its too risky since you could easily lose it all and more on top of that and they dont know if they will see that money.

Last edited by jayceheathman : 03-12-2009 at 06:22 PM.
jayceheathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:21 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
OK, so we're on the same page. I'm not saying it's wrong to cut into Cramer for being wrong, that's perfectly acceptable. We always rip into people for predicting the wrong thing. But...we should never rip people for making predictions period. Sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong.
predictions are 50-50. somtimes people forget that. and of course someone will get ripped for a prediction gone wrong more so than praised for a prediction gone right
Quote:
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Last edited by bored of education : 03-12-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:24 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

Quote:
Werent you guys arguing about why betting on fooball is illegal and the stock market is legal? I could have read it wrong.

One thing though is that no one is 100% sure on any stock. I used to hate Cramer back when people thought he was the best thing to ever hit the market. My stock would go down 10% one day with no news at all except for Cramer saying he doesnt like it. Now, not too many people buy or sell based on what he says nearly as much as when the show just started getting popular. He is an entertainer first and then a stock analysis second. He gets more money from that show than he does with his stocks.

Oh yeah, I dont know about other brokers but Fidelity has had a rule for quite some time that you cant short a stock without having at least one million dollars in your account. Its too risky since you could easily lose it all and more on top of that and they dont know if they will see that money.
There are shorting stock rules and each company may have their own policies about it
Quote:
Old 03-12-2009, 06:25 PM    (permalink
I KNOW IT ALL
Rookie

Quote:

There are rules with shorting but you definitely do not need a million dollars to short sell stocks. You can also limit downside and leverage by buying Short ETFs. Also, options would have been VERY profitable due to how leveraged they are.

If you know what the market is going to do, you will make a ton of money, period. There are financial instruments that you can use to bet on pretty much anything happening.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:36 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
There are rules with shorting but you definitely do not need a million dollars to short sell stocks. You can also limit downside and leverage by buying Short ETFs. Also, options would have been VERY profitable due to how leveraged they are.

If you know what the market is going to do, you will make a ton of money, period. There are financial instruments that you can use to bet on pretty much anything happening.
I have tried shorting but Fidelity wont let me and I have been told by them that you have to have one million. I have been considering signing up with Scottrade.

My worst ever pick that was so unlucky was Fannie May. I knew it was volatile but it hit like $2 and was making a pretty nice run up that week. I bought in and not too much happened the first day. I was getting bored and wanted to pick a fun stock where I have a chance of making a lot but also getting destroyed. I wasnt planning on getting as destroyed as I did. 2 days after I bought in is when the Government announced they were going to buy Fannie and Freddie out and of course they do this after the market is closed. The next day the stock opened 90% lower and there was nothing I could do about it but watch. So many people were on Yahoo message boards for that stock wondering what was going to happen when the market opened.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:40 PM    (permalink
I KNOW IT ALL
Rookie

Quote:
I have tried shorting but Fidelity wont let me and I have been told by them that you have to have one million. I have been considering signing up with Scottrade.

My worst ever pick that was so unlucky was Fannie May. I knew it was volatile but it hit like $2 and was making a pretty nice run up that week. I bought in and not too much happened the first day. I was getting bored and wanted to pick a fun stock where I have a chance of making a lot but also getting destroyed. I wasnt planning on getting as destroyed as I did. 2 days after I bought in is when the Government announced they were going to buy Fannie and Freddie out and of course they do this after the market is closed. The next day the stock opened 90% lower and there was nothing I could do about it but watch. So many people were on Yahoo message boards for that stock wondering what was going to happen when the market opened.
Ouch, that's rough. I almost bit into Sirius/XM when it got low...thankfully I kept my senses and didn't. Still, I got burned badly when the agriculture sector came down.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:46 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
Ouch, that's rough. I almost bit into Sirius/XM when it got low...thankfully I kept my senses and didn't. Still, I got burned badly when the agriculture sector came down.
I thought about Sirius myself and luckily didnt get in either. It had a very nice day today but the whole market did as well. Well, besides my stock. I have Marvel and they announced today that they are pushing back the release dates on Thor and The Avengers so it went down 2%. The last time I checked I heard Sirius/XM were about to file bankruptcy.

Last edited by jayceheathman : 03-12-2009 at 06:49 PM.
jayceheathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:46 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

Quote:

many brokerages have min/max requirements for shorting
Quote:
Old 03-12-2009, 06:47 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who the hell is Jim Cramer
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:49 PM    (permalink
I KNOW IT ALL
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Peefs View Post
Who the hell is Jim Cramer

Guy who yells about stocks on his CNBC show.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:08 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ok.

Edit:

They are both idiots (why anyone would listen, trust or give credence to either's advice on finances or politics is beyond me) yet I will watch just to see Stewart likely kiss Cramer's ass after less than a week of ripping him on his show.
The thing is, Jon Stewart doesn't want anyone taking his advice. He is a comedian, so why that makes him an idiot, I don't know.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So you think some guy turns on CNBC, sees the slogan "In Cramer We Trust" and assumes he is an infallible god and his stock picks are going to be right 100% of the time?

Come on, what planet do you live on?
If you don't think that was there intent, I just don't know what to tell you. It is using a classic symbol to give credence to a different person, it is something that has been done since the dawn of civilization. Of course they don't expect people to believe he is a god. But it does bring to mind "In God We Trust." And if you don't think some people put absolute faith in whatever is said on TV, well I don't know what planet you are living on. How many people STILL believe Obama is Muslim, and that was just from Fox News and emails.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:21 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I used to be a hardcore libertarian, but I am gradually further and further left. I would still vote for Ron Paul in a heartbeat, because he is one of the few politicians who you know what you are going to get, he sticks to his guns. Same with Kucinich(even though he is too far left for me.) Hell, my ideal system of government/economics is anarcho-capitalism, but it isn't a feasible system.

I would never blame someone else for MY losses, but that is because I am smart enough to do research. Unfortunately, that isn't the case with most people(and thats why I keep moving further and further from libertarianism, people are just so dumb they couldn't handle pure libertarianism, they would get fleeced regularly.) Most people are easily manipulated, and even insinuating that Cramer is almost always right, like CNBC does is a bad faith move. Way too many people put their trust in what is said on TV, and they know that.

I Know It All, I also predicted a meltdown. I had no idea when it would happen, but you can ask any of my friends and they will tell you I have been saying we are heading for the worst economic disaster since the Great Depression, back about a year ago. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to short anything, because I've barely had the money to eat, much less invest.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
I used to be a hardcore libertarian, but I am gradually further and further left. I would still vote for Ron Paul in a heartbeat, because he is one of the few politicians who you know what you are going to get, he sticks to his guns. Same with Kucinich(even though he is too far left for me.) Hell, my ideal system of government/economics is anarcho-capitalism, but it isn't a feasible system.

I would never blame someone else for MY losses, but that is because I am smart enough to do research. Unfortunately, that isn't the case with most people(and thats why I keep moving further and further from libertarianism, people are just so dumb they couldn't handle pure libertarianism, they would get fleeced regularly.) Most people are easily manipulated, and even insinuating that Cramer is almost always right, like CNBC does is a bad faith move. Way too many people put their trust in what is said on TV, and they know that.

I Know It All, I also predicted a meltdown. I had no idea when it would happen, but you can ask any of my friends and they will tell you I have been saying we are heading for the worst economic disaster since the Great Depression, back about a year ago. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to short anything, because I've barely had the money to eat, much less invest.
See to me libertarianism is not just trusting yourself to make the right decisions; it's about the community and others helping those who are not smart enough to make the right decisions instead of trusting the government to do that.

It comes down to who you trust more: the people around you or the government?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:50 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
See to me libertarianism is not just trusting yourself to make the right decisions; it's about the community and others helping those who are not smart enough to make the right decisions instead of trusting the government to do that.

It comes down to who you trust more: the people around you or the government?
I trust neither. I think Libertarianism would work for most people. But there are always those that would take advantage of the situation. I am of the school of thought that the governments job is to protect the individuals rights. That's a very libertarian philosophy, but I don't think Libertarianism can accomplish that.