Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-14-2009, 10:04 AM    (permalink
ESimsfan87
Rookie

ESimsfan87 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Big Lions trade involving Seattle might be in works.

according to PFT.com, we might be trading Corey Redding to Seattle.
There's a rumor out there that we might be trying to get Julian Peterson, an MSU alum in the deal and this report links those two together.
Thoughts?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...-the-seahawks/
ESimsfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:43 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

interesting....maybe we could get their second rounder? That would be a huge steal...
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

clear out all signs of millen. we'd definately need to hit DT now in the draft. i want to see what pick we'd get in return though, but it should be fair enough. jerry can take his place, or maybe fluellen/IAF. we need linebackers badly. lol@them even remotely thinking it would be the 4th pick. maybe 4th round idiot reporter.

actually it would be great if we swapped 4th and 20th picks....then could grab raji or a tackle. this could remove all signs of millen in one bold stroke of genius depending on the full trade.

Prowler's Newb Guide

Last edited by Prowler : 03-14-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's looking official - Redding and a fifth rounder for Peterson.

It just shows how desperate the Lions are for LB's - and they should be. Redding is 28, Peterson 30. Redding was costing the Lions a mint (thanks again Millen) so taking him off the books for future years is a benefit, plus Peterson has been nice and healthy for several years and went to the Pro Bowl just last season. Instantly gives us a legitimate SLB starter.

Now at DT we have two ancient run-pluggers for first and second downs and two unproven young players for passing downs and to back up. Everyone is saying we now have to draft a DT but we might be able to survive '09 with this situation.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:44 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

This will give us a huge talent at SLB, but at a very big price tag. I'm a big fan of Peterson and in all honesty I would love to see him here playing DE opposite Avril, but I'd rather see if we can get a top 3 rd pick for Redding and then try to sign Peterson as a FA.

I like the idea of getting rid of Redding, in his career hes only had a good 1/2 season in a contract yr, so IMO he's not worth the money. Plus we already have 2 or 3 potential UTs on our squad in Cohen, Fluellen, and IAF(?) so lets dump Redding and move on.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:52 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

fox sports is reporting it as a done deal. I think I'd rather wanted Crowell from FA and a 3rd from Seattle, but overall I'm more happy then mad
Old 03-14-2009, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i hope we still get crowell. we have cap room and hopefully will fill the stands again provided we win a few games early.

well atleast win 1 game early.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 03-14-2009, 01:05 PM    (permalink
LOLitsTomBrady
Rookie

LOLitsTomBrady hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
i hope we still get crowell. we have cap room and hopefully will fill the stands again provided we win a few games early.

well atleast win 1 game early.
If we dont get Crowell then we have absolutely no chance of drafting Curry. I think we should still go after Curry and have a strong linebacker group

Sims
Peterson
Curry

that would be sick
LOLitsTomBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:49 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have to go after Jerry at 20. It'll take him a year to develope so nows the best time to get a DT. Overall i like the trade get Redding out, he played well for half a year which was also his contract year and hasnt done anything since. We now have a solid LB core with sims and Peterson.

But we do need to address DT now IMO
Old 03-14-2009, 01:53 PM    (permalink
gameplaya2435
Rookie

gameplaya2435 is a cocksman.gameplaya2435 is a cocksman.gameplaya2435 is a cocksman.gameplaya2435 is a cocksman.

Decent trade for the Lions I guess, but a bit of a let down with the topic title...I thought it involved a trade down from #1 Overall
Old 03-14-2009, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

we just keep adding ammunition. by the best of my horrible math skills we now have...picks+trade value
1(1) 3,000
1(20) 850
2(33) 580
3(65) 365
3(84) 170
6(161)27
6(180)19.4

trade up targets
cleveland(5th pick 1,700)-new coach
saints(14th pick at 1,100)-not many picks this year
chargers(16th pick at 1,000)-get under tampa

Prowler's Newb Guide

Last edited by Prowler : 03-15-2009 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:21 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
we just keep adding ammunition. by the best of my horrible math skills we now have...picks+trade value
1(1) 3,000
1(20) 850
2(33) 580
3(65) 365
3(84) 170
5(129)43
5(148)32.2
6(161)27
6(something)

trade up targets
cleveland(5th pick 1,700)-new coach
saints(14th pick at 1,100)-not many picks this year
chargers(16th pick at 1,000)-get under tampa
I thought we just gave away one of our 5th's?
Old 03-14-2009, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

edit again-nm i thought we got their 5th rounder....that sucks

Prowler's Newb Guide

Last edited by Prowler : 03-14-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:29 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no we traded our 5th we didnt get a 5th.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:29 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
wait...what 5th round pick does seattle actually have? they traded it for keary colbert.
we gave them our 5th.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:32 PM    (permalink
ESimsfan87
Rookie

ESimsfan87 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameplaya2435 View Post
Decent trade for the Lions I guess, but a bit of a let down with the topic title...I thought it involved a trade down from #1 Overall
yeah haha sorry about the title, one of the posters at pft.com mentioned how cutler could have been involved but clearly that was all rumor.
ESimsfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:41 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESimsfan87 View Post
yeah haha sorry about the title, one of the posters at pft.com mentioned how cutler could have been involved but clearly that was all rumor.
well, Peterson played olb in a 3-4 w/ San Fran, so I guess I can see where a dream starts since Denver is switching to a 3-4 and needs 3-4 OLBs, but I highly doubt it.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:39 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This was not a smart deal for the Lions...

They could have just waited for the Seahawks to release Peterson and got him for free and at a much more reasonable contract. They addressed one need but created another.

Typical Lions.

Moves like this actually make me think they won't take Stafford #1.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:28 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

they can now fill the stadium with diehard spartan fans to make sure ford gets more money.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 03-15-2009, 06:21 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

since i completely messed it up, here's an updated look at the lions draft picks now courtesy of kevin seifert at ESPN.

Round 1: 1
Round 1: 20 (from Dallas)
Round 2: 1
Round 3: 1
Round 3: 18 (from Dallas)
Round 4: None (sent to Dallas)
Round 5: None (sent to Seattle)
Round 6: 1
Round 6: 19 (from Dallas)
Round 7: None (sent to Dallas)

we'll probably also get 2 7th round compensation picks.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 03-15-2009, 07:53 AM    (permalink
Whitebull
Rookie

Whitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWhitebull is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post

They could have just waited for the Seahawks to release Peterson and got him for free and at a much more reasonable contract. They addressed one need but created another.

Typical Lions.

Doubt we'd have been able to sign him, and in a bidding war with contracts these days, it wouldn't be a more reasonable contract. No reason Seattle wouldn't have found another trading partner willing to give up less too. We had assets not valuable at all to us, but that were valuable to them. Redding and a 5th REALLY wasn't giving up much, I don't mourn the loss of either. The cap room is meaningless this year, we've got plenty without much to do with it. Redding isn't playing 3-tech in a Tampa-2 anymore, and is way undersized, we needed to be rid of him.

This was a good move, and a great one if Peterson can bring some credible leadership to the locker room, having played in a Super Bowl, and in Hawaii 5 times.
Whitebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:37 AM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Typical Lions.

I'm with Whitebull on this one...

Say Petersen gets released... every other team has a shot at him, and typically the Lions are NOT at the top of anyone's list. Redding also had a big contract and wasn't living up to it. It would have been nice to do a 1-for-1 swap so i dont like giving up a 5th, but it got the deal done. In the end i like Petersen > Redding.

And i don't see how this means that the Lions 'wont' take Stafford #1. Petersen plays Curry's position. the lions were looking at Stafford, Curry, J. Smith. To me this says they are likly filling Curry position, removing a need, and now focusing on either Stafford or Smith.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:51 AM    (permalink
LOLitsTomBrady
Rookie

LOLitsTomBrady hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

Typical Lions.

Ha yeah right. We've tried to sign big name free agents and they won't even look our way. Its a good trade because we got rid of a huge contract on an overrated player who did NOTHING for us last year. Peterson is a pro bowl LB and will really help out Sims. It was a very good trade.
LOLitsTomBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:00 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Redding wasn't going to restructure for us. Peterson makes a bit more money but he is also a much better player. Also, he's going to be cheaper to cut two or three years down the road than Redding if necessary. I also don't see why Peterson would sign with us as a free agent, unless we overpaid.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:30 AM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblain1 View Post
I'm with Whitebull on this one...

Say Petersen gets released... every other team has a shot at him, and typically the Lions are NOT at the top of anyone's list. Redding also had a big contract and wasn't living up to it. It would have been nice to do a 1-for-1 swap so i dont like giving up a 5th, but it got the deal done. In the end i like Petersen > Redding.

And i don't see how this means that the Lions 'wont' take Stafford #1. Petersen plays Curry's position. the lions were looking at Stafford, Curry, J. Smith. To me this says they are likly filling Curry position, removing a need, and now focusing on either Stafford or Smith.
I agree with Scott more so on this point, but it really all boils down to if we could have gotten a decent draft choice in return for Redding. Like I said in an earlier post, if we could have gotten a 3rd or 2nd for Redding and then tried to sign Peterson or Crowell as a FA I would have viewed this as a better option.

The thing that I disagree with Scott about is Peterson's cost being cheaper, yes it is likely that his base salary would have been lower than $6 mill/yr. but then we would have given him a signing bonus up front, which could have made him an expensive aqcuisition if Peterson ended up not playing for the life of his contract, where as under his current contact we're paying him a hefty sum, but if his production drops and we want to cut him we wont take any cap hit for doing so, so IMO thats a benifit.

Last edited by woodnick : 03-15-2009 at 10:33 AM.
woodnick is offline   Reply With Quote