Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-14-2009, 09:37 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Beyonce & Lil Wayne fans are.. dumb

According to this study!

http://musicthatmakesyoudumb.virgil.gr/

Matches SAT scores of people with the music they like. Interesting.. but I claim racism!

Here's the chart (big picture)

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:42 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Way to go Guster!

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:43 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Wow - Why is Counting Crows so high?
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:43 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting that "Classical" is so far left.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Canadian_kid16
All-Pro

Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

whew, luckily Beethoven dominates my iPod playlist

Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
A fan of the USF Bulls
Canadian_kid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Sufjan Stevens. I win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Interesting that "Classical" is so far left.
Because people with higher IQ often appreciate classical music.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:46 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I like Sufjan Stevens. I win.

Because people with higher IQ often appreciate classical music.
Yes, hence why it's interesting it's so far left (low on the scale).

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 03-14-2009, 09:47 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes, hence why it's interesting it's so far left (low on the scale).
I know, that one seems weird to me. Probably just a flaw in the way the study was conducted.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:49 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
I know, that one seems weird to me. Probably just a flaw in the way the study was conducted.
Yea, you would have to assume so. Especially with Beethoven the furthest right. I mean, Beethoven is significantly enough above most classical music, but it isn't that much of a disparity.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 03-14-2009, 09:50 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So basically if you listen to rap you can't be smart, or smart people don't listen to rap? That's a bunch of crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Beethoven is significantly enough above most classical music
If I wasnt as drunk as I am, I would tell you why I think Bach is better but you are on the right track with regards to Beethoven & classical music on this chart.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:53 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
If I wasnt as drunk as I am, I would tell you why I think Bach is better but you are on the right track with regards to Beethoven & classical music on this chart.
Well, obviously there are numerous other composers that can be argued to be as good, but I meant because there were just the two options.

But really, is anyone surprised with this? I mean, we all know how garbage music is today, yet somehow it's popular. Society is dumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 03-14-2009, 09:54 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like how Gospel listeners are also amongst the dumbest people in America. I also like how Radiohead (who I listen to almost constantly) and many other bands I listen to are so high up. Now I can go around telling people studies say I listen to smart people music and I can get called a huge douche.

It was also funny seeing almost every emo band ranked in the dumb section.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:54 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
But really, is anyone surprised with this? I mean, we all know how garbage music is today, yet somehow it's popular. Society is dumb.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:56 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
So basically if you listen to rap you can't be smart, or smart people don't listen to rap? That's a bunch of crap.
The study is just saying the majority of people who listen to rap are very close to being legally ********.
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
That's not what the study, or any study shows. A study/experiment says that the average subject that falls in one of the categories would most likely get the represented outcome.

In this case, the average Lil' Wayne fan, Beyonce fan, Rap fan, etc. gets lower on their SAT than fans of Beck or Guster. It doesn't mean it's 100% true, just the average.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can understand little wayne and beyonce, but the rest of this list looks like ****...predjudice **** at that.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:59 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

One of the funnier observations, besides the fact that many people clearly listen to a handful of the bands that are on polar opposite ends of the spectrum, was how can people who listen to Reggae and those who listen to Bob Marley have a 100+ point differential in score.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:00 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's not what the study, or any study shows. A study/experiment says that the average subject that falls in one of the categories would most likely get the represented outcome.

In this case, the average Lil' Wayne fan, Beyonce fan, Rap fan, etc. gets lower on their SAT than fans of Beck or Guster. It doesn't mean it's 100% true, just the average.
It's still close enough to saying that, and I hate stupid surveys like these anyway, it depends on who you survey, where those people grew up and where they live, alot of different variables, I just hate **** like this that makes it look like only idiots can listen to a certain type of music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
One of the funnier observations, besides the fact that many people clearly listen to a handful of the bands that are on polar opposite ends of the spectrum, was how can people who listen to Reggae and those who listen to Bob Marley have a 100+ point differential in score.
Because this is someone probably handing out a survey that says, "what did you get on your SAT?" followed by "check all the following that you're fans of..." It's obviously not scientific at all.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:01 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post

Cause this graph was made by some dude on the internet.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:05 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
It's still close enough to saying that, and I hate stupid surveys like these anyway, it depends on who you survey, where those people grew up and where they live, alot of different variables, I just hate **** like this that makes it look like only idiots can listen to a certain type of music.
Well, I mean, any study is clearly going to have outliers in the reported data, regardless of validity. It may give off the view like you say, but any rational person would understand not everyone follows the trend.

So really, the people that believe any results to be 100% true are kinda dumb for not knowing how to interpret in the first place, so it kinda fits.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 03-14-2009, 10:08 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
I can understand little wayne and beyonce, but the rest of this list looks like ****...predjudice **** at that.
Your response is the exact reason why there can never be studies on racial differences in intelligence. Instead, we have to rely on correlations in test scores and socio-economic achievement differences. Yes, "correlation does not prove causation," but it is a very interesting topic.

I doubt this persons goal was to prove one ethnicity or race was less intelligent, maybe it was a generational motivation??

If anyone is being blinded by bias it is you; you're the one lumping a race or ethnicity into certain categories of listening to certain music. All this test did was compare music to SAT scores. Not race/ethnicity to SAT scores.

Edit: Not meant as an attack, however, I just get annoyed that any study that brings up cultural differences in intelligence is always crucified as racist/bigotry BS.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Last edited by BroadwayJoe10 : 03-14-2009 at 10:14 PM.
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i'm curious if any of the people ******** about the "study" actually bothered going to the bloody website and reading how he did it.

i mean, it's fun and all, making **** up because you can then be outraged by it, but it's more fun when you actually have some vague clue what the facts actually are (such as they are in this case).

but then, the graph shows people who listen to rap music have low sat scores. the ******* of people about that indicates that they can't read. so maybe the whole system is less flawed than it looked at first glance.
Whoa whoa whoa, people thinking before posting? You have obviously not been around here very long. :)

Old 03-14-2009, 10:12 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
no, i'm just temporarily delusional.
I hear ya. You would expect most people to have common sense, but we all know that's not the case.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver