Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-15-2009, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Should we trade Ernie?

Ernie has been a solid LB since entering the league, but his play has been more of a second round LB then the #9 overall. Schwartz and Mayhew are putting an emphasis on size while building this team and the undersized Ernie Sims may not be a player they want to have here in the future. We are going to be moving away from a Tampa 2 I assume and the assets his trade would bring could help the re-building.

What do you think his value would be?

Any trade ideas?

Would it be worth it?

Ernie Sims for John Henderson + maybe a pick
" " for picks from Indy?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:53 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Ernie, but I would'nt be sad if we traded him. I love his personality and the leadership he brings to the team...but his size and play limit us and schwartz possible schemes. We have a couple of pieces that could be either 4-3 or 3-4 and Ernie is not one of them, he is strictly 4-3 tampa 2.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:53 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You wouldn't get good enough value in return. In theory I think you guys would benefit from something like that, but the offers you'd get wouldn't be worth it.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:54 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You finally have a position that isn't a weakness (OLB) and now you want to get rid of Ernie Sims? I don't understand.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Send him over to Buffalo.
We'll give you Chris Kelsay! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:59 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It depends on what we could get in return for him. He is nothing without Shaun Rogers.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:01 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
You finally have a position that isn't a weakness (OLB) and now you want to get rid of Ernie Sims? I don't understand.
He was much more valuable in the defense Rod was running. I still think he's a good player though and maybe when we add more pieces to the defense it will help him out. I'd hope he and Julian Peterson become good friends. To bad Tampa is moving away from their old ways because I'm sure they'd love Sims to replace Derrick Brooks.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:04 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Buffalo still runs the tampa-2... :(
and we have a need for a WLB, with Posluszny in the middle, and Mitchell as a SLB.

Quote:
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Old 03-15-2009, 09:04 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want to trade him. I would if we got a good offer.. I wouldn't shop him around though.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills2083 View Post
Buffalo still runs the tampa-2... :(
and we have a need for a WLB, with Posluszny in the middle, and Mitchell as a SLB.
I'd take a third a third next year maybe. I'd ask for a second first though. That'd be a good team fit though in Buffalo, interesting.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:09 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ernie Sims has been a weakness for the past one and a half seasons.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Must........ draft........ Aaron........ Curry........ [/zombie]
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
I'd take a third a third next year maybe. I'd ask for a second first though. That'd be a good team fit though in Buffalo, interesting.
I haven't seen Sims play too much recently.
What's the major knock on him right now?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-15-2009, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

A rich man's Demorrio Williams? Can over pursue by going for that big hit. Plays much bigger then his size but it can still be a hindrance. Doesn't have the knack for big plays (INTS, Sacks, FF). Solid 100+ tackle a year LB though. Doesn't have an injury history yet. Still on rookie deal. Very fast and good in coverage.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:29 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Quote:
A rich man's Demorrio Williams? Can over pursue by going for that big hit. Plays much bigger then his size but it can still be a hindrance. Doesn't have the knack for big plays (INTS, Sacks, FF). Solid 100+ tackle a year LB though. Doesn't have an injury history yet. Still on rookie deal. Very fast and good in coverage.
-We don't have anyone in the LB corp that makes big hits. It would be nice to see, finally, even though if he overpursues a little too often.

-Our LBs rarely make interceptions as it is. We blitz Mitchell the most, so he gets most of the sacks.

-Good to see.

I read that he does better with a big body in front of him. Is it because that linemen (Rogers) ate up most of the offensive linemen, allowing for Sims to make plays on the ball?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-15-2009, 09:43 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doesn't Schwartz still run a version of the Cover 2? If that's the case I think he still fits fine in the Lion's D at WLB.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:

I read that he does better with a big body in front of him. Is it because that linemen (Rogers) ate up most of the offensive linemen, allowing for Sims to make plays on the ball?

Yes thats when Ernie was at his best, thats really true for a lot of LBs. Their true value and skill is shown when DTs give them space to work.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:50 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Quote:
Yes thats when Ernie was at his best, thats really true for a lot of LBs. Their true value and skill is shown when DTs give them space to work.

That works well with the Bills because we have Stroud up front.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-15-2009, 09:51 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
-We don't have anyone in the LB corp that makes big hits. It would be nice to see, finally, even though if he overpursues a little too often.

-Our LBs rarely make interceptions as it is. We blitz Mitchell the most, so he gets most of the sacks.

-Good to see.

Yup. Sims needs someone to eat up blockers so he can use his speed to roam. Sometimes his speed hurts him though and he runs himself out of a tackle by either overpursuing or just putting himself into a bad position to make a solid tackle.

I honestly wouldn't trade Sims for anything less than a 2nd and additional picks. I don't see the value in it. We have some big, fat DT's to hopefully take some pressure off of him in the run game this year. He is still young and even though (i havent actually heard this so Im assuming you people know what youre talking about) Schwartz prefers bigger guys I think he could still prosper greatly in a defense where he isnt the only guy with talent.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:56 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Peefs View Post
I think he could still prosper greatly in a defense where he isnt the only guy with talent.
I agree with this. Sims is a great complimentary LB to a defense, but he isn't the leader or big playmaker.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Spartan4224
Rookie

Spartan4224 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSpartan4224 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSpartan4224 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSpartan4224 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSpartan4224 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSpartan4224 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSpartan4224 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSpartan4224 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSpartan4224 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSpartan4224 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSpartan4224 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default Protect HIM

Protect him with some D-Tackles and he becomes a stud once again. I think Schwartz will like his attitude.
Spartan4224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:58 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Detroit seriosuly wanted to trade Ernie Sims (and I doubt they do) the Giants are probably the best fit.

The Giants want more speed and athletism at OLB; they have a damn good DLine for him to play behind and their LBs tend to play down hill which is a good fit for Sims. More importantly they have a truck load of draft picks and very few team needs.

If Detroit are willing to trade Sims and if they want a 2nd round pick, the Giants will more than likely be very willing to trade #60 for Sims and perhaps #45. Alternatively they also have plenty of good players they could include as part of a deal at positions of need for the Lions.

Buffalo have alot of holes to fill and probably wouldn't offer as much for a OLB; defensively pass rushers are a much more urgent need.

Derrick Johnson could also be a similar trade option for teams with Kansas City shifting to a 3-4; particularly as he is off contract after 2009.

Alot has been made of Jim Schwartz, but don't forget the Lions brought in Gunther Cunninham who used more mobile LBs like Donnie Edwards and Derrick Johnson at KC.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 03-15-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:59 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Linebackers usually play much better with a decent D-Line
Old 03-15-2009, 10:05 PM    (permalink
LOLitsTomBrady
Rookie

LOLitsTomBrady hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

hell no. Ernie is our best player on defense. Hes small yes but he still makes great plays and can tackle.
LOLitsTomBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:36 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want to see Ernie get traded either. He's someone you can build the defence around and is still young enough to do that. Personally, I can't wait to see him and Peterson play together.
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote