Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 09-09-2010, 11:06 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Why the rush to cut him? I don't get it.

He was sacked a million times and we led the league in drops. No QB is going to do well with those kind of problems. Give him time.
You can't hang on to the ball like he does and not get sacked, he got sacked a bunch with NE as well.

I'm not saying he needs to look like a pro bowler but if he looks like he did last year with a better OL and the upgraded weapons I think the Chiefs should move on.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:14 AM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess I'm not making myself clear. I hope Matt Cassel can turn into a franchise QB. We have a lot of problems on our team and hopefully finding a new QB isn't one of them. What I said is, thus far, I haven't seen anything from him that would lead me to believe he is capable of being a franchise QB and that after this season, the Chiefs can get out from under his huge contract with little to no salary cap repercussions. I haven't said I would cut him. He still has this year to prove he can do it.

If he doesn't succeed (show some real progression in his game) this year, I think we would all agree that he isn't the right QB for us, right? I mean 2 years in the system, improved weapons and OLine has got to add up to much improved play on his part.

I haven't, yet, said I think we should cut bait. He does deserve more to time to prove himself. I hope he does it because it puts the Chiefs much closer to the Promiseland if he is the guy. All I am pointing out is that if it comes to be that we know he isn't the one, his contract is a non-issue after this season.
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:39 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not advocating cutting Cassel either. I brought up the contract simply as an interesting nugget of information. I would be more than willing to give him this year and next, but if he doesn't start showing some improvement, and I mean serious improvement, I would begin looking for his replacement in the '11 draft.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:24 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
I'm not advocating cutting Cassel either. I brought up the contract simply as an interesting nugget of information. I would be more than willing to give him this year and next, but if he doesn't start showing some improvement, and I mean serious improvement, I would begin looking for his replacement in the '11 draft.
That's exactly my feelings. I couldn't have said it better myself. If we aren't moving forward, then we are moving backward. This is the NFL and the QB is the single most important position on the field. This league waits for no man.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:29 PM    (permalink
BoneKrusher
DC GFX Team
Pro Bowler

BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BoneKrusher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
You can't hang on to the ball like he does and not get sacked, he got sacked a bunch with NE as well.

I'm not saying he needs to look like a pro bowler but if he looks like he did last year with a better OL and the upgraded weapons I think the Chiefs should move on.
amen, i've never thought Matt was our QBOTF, hope i'm wrong because the teams improving in all areas it seems from the preseason play except for Cassel.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:39 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He got sacked a bunch in NE because NE's line was garbage, too. You can't expect a QB to do well when the defense can get through the middle of the OL so easily. That was the big problem last year. The interior line was complete trash.

There are a combination of things that I believe should alleviate the problems with last year's passing game.
1. Weis - Weis's entire offense is designed around getting the ball out of the QB's hands quickly with screens and slants. This will cause linebackers to stay back and safeties to play up. They'll pick their spots on when to air it out, and when they do, Chambers and Bowe should be able to get past the safeties.

One of the biggest issues with last year's offensive playcalling was the complete lack of screen passes to off-set the pass rush. That will change this year. Weis is the master of the screen pass. He already implemented the classic Brady spin-move screen with McCluster and Charles (in place of Faulk & Pass). It's the most effective screen pass I've ever seen.

2. Improved weapons - McCluster and Long will be huge for Cassel. They'll catch screens and find pockets in coverage to help move the ball in small chunks and keep the linebackers from rushing. Also throw in how much better Bowe has looked, and the Chiefs should be able to dominate the middle of the field.

3. Improved Interior Line - Lilja and Weigman are infinitely better than what they had in 2009. Cassel is very athletic and can avoid the edge rush and make a play either with his arm or his legs. There's nothing he can do if the interior line fails in pass protection.

This offense is going to be geared around running the ball and a short passing game. Chiefs fans might not like it (mainly short passes) very much in the beginning, but it's highly effective. They'll eat up massive amounts of clock and frustrate the **** out of opposing defenses.

And the short passing game will make Cassel a better QB. That's part of how Brady became so good. It's not hard to learn to read defenses for short passing plays,

Last edited by nepg : 09-09-2010 at 04:43 PM.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
He got sacked a bunch in NE because NE's line was garbage, too. You can't expect a QB to do well when the defense can get through the middle of the OL so easily. That was the big problem last year. The interior line was complete trash.

There are a combination of things that I believe should alleviate the problems with last year's passing game.

1. Weis - Weis's entire offense is designed around getting the ball out of the QB's hands quickly with screens and slants. This will cause linebackers to stay back and safeties to play up. They'll pick their spots on when to air it out, and when they do, Chambers and Bowe should be able to get past the safeties.

2. Improved weapons - McCluster and Long will be huge for Cassel. They'll catch screens and find pockets in coverage to help move the ball in small chunks and keep the linebackers from rushing. Also throw in how much better Bowe has looked, and the Chiefs should be able to dominate the middle of the field.

3. Improved Interior Line - Lilja and Weigman are infinitely better than what they had in 2009. Cassel is very athletic and can avoid the edge rush and make a play either with his arm or his legs. There's nothing he can do if the interior line fails in pass protection.

This offense is going to be geared around running the ball and a short passing game. Chiefs fans might not like it (mainly short passes) very much in the beginning, but it's highly effective. They'll eat up massive amounts of clock and frustrate the **** out of opposing defenses.
This is pretty much my point he has everything in place to improve and if he doesn't then they need to move on after this season.

And Long isn't on the team any more he got cut.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, my point is that people are lambasting him for no reason. He looked damn good considering what he had to work with last year and poor playcalling for 3/4 of the season. I'm saying there's no reason to worry because the problems have been mostly addressed, and the Cassel was never a problem.

I see a lot of people saying he doesn't look improved and are complaining about the short passes, too. Well, that's Charlie Weis's offense! I don't know what people expected... Charlie didn't call the plays for the '07 Pats or the '08 Cardinals...it's a much different offense that is geared towards grinding out first downs and chunks of clock. Weis and Crennel are all about protecting the football/endzone. They're not going to throw it downfield that often, so people need to stop complaining that they aren't doing it because it's not going to happen.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

I'm fine with that but the guy still holds on to the ball to long and seems to think run first throw second, he didn't complete a signal pass till the second quarter vs the Eagles it's hard not to worry after that.

The only time he looks comfortable to me is when they run a hurry up offense, I really don't think he trusts his OL which is understandable after last year but this is not last years OL.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:02 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He'll be fine. I still (sort of) believe in Cassel. :)

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:09 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
Chiefs defensive lineman Tyson Jackson will miss a 1-2 weeks with a knee injury, according to a report out of Kansas City. This will be worth monitoring during the week. Jackson, the No. 3 overall pick in 2009, had a strong game against the Chargers on Monday before leaving the game.
This sucks, he didn't have the kinda game Dorsey did but I thought he took on blockers and had a pretty good game.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:22 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
I'm fine with that but the guy still holds on to the ball to long and seems to think run first throw second, he didn't complete a signal pass till the second quarter vs the Eagles it's hard not to worry after that.

The only time he looks comfortable to me is when they run a hurry up offense, I really don't think he trusts his OL which is understandable after last year but this is not last years OL.
I think he started realizing that the OL will hold up in the 2nd half. He looked way more confident stepping back, going through progressions, then stepping into throws. We'll see a much different player over the next couple weeks. There were a couple bad drops, the running game was working, and the Chiefs really didn't have the ball enough for him to throw it a lot.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Chiefs place Cameron Sheffield on injured reserve
Old 09-15-2010, 02:04 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

Quote:
This is probably the best for everyone. Neck injuries can linger for sometime. This way Sheff doesn't feel pressure to get back to quickly and possibly injure himself even worse. Plus, the Chiefs don't have to worry about a roster spot and how long his injury will take to heal. I'm sorry to see him go. His pass rush skills could be used at some point this season, but there will always be next year.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

They are going to show the game again tonight on NFL Network at 7c. :)
Old 09-16-2010, 10:11 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congratulations to the AFC West division leaders!!

Sounds strange doesn't it? I only saw p/o the game but the highlight film was all KC. And yeah I'll take credit for posting that about team speed & youth having it all over the other division members back in April after the great draft the Chiefs had, both showed up bigtime vs. SD. That & the rain too factored well for the home team, the announcers talked about the rain & wet balls, both had to play in it so if Cassel could handle the wet ball why couldn't Rivers?

KC has one of the youngest (if not the youngest) teams in the NFL.

All the bandwagon pundits are now comparing the KC return game to the glory days of Dante Hall leading the league. The SEC return duo of Arenas & McCluster turned it into a track meet in the mud: Arenas with 119 return yds. for a scary 19.7 KO return avg. & 30 avg. for punt returns, & McCluster for a blistering 100-yd return yds including a 94-yarder (franchise rcd?) for a TD. And before the draft they said they were too small to play in the NFL..... yeah right.

And home teams did very well in the NFL openers, home teams went 11-5, in the opening games, only the Jets, Buffalo, Jags, Eagles, & Rams lost.

If Bowe doesn't lead the league in drops again & that killer pass rush (Tambi Hali actually got a sack!) remains consistent, KC could really be back, no more drafting in the top 5 anymore. Big round of applause for the Chiefs, bravo!

Last edited by LizardState : 09-16-2010 at 10:14 AM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The best thing for us would be to be drafting in the middle of the first, instead of the top 5. I'd love to get some receiver talent on this team to work with. Chambers is up there and Bowe is wildly inconsistent. I'll give Bowe a pass for the MNF game because of the rain and the heavy/slick balls, but he needs to have a much better year. The dude is so damn athletic and can make plays after he catches it, he just needs to catch it..

Old 09-16-2010, 04:57 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The best thing for us would be to be drafting in the middle of the first, instead of the top 5. I'd love to get some receiver talent on this team to work with. Chambers is up there and Bowe is wildly inconsistent. I'll give Bowe a pass for the MNF game because of the rain and the heavy/slick balls, but he needs to have a much better year. The dude is so damn athletic and can make plays after he catches it, he just needs to catch it..
this is where you and I disagree.those were passes an NFL WR HAS TO MAKE!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:59 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-RICH49 View Post
this is where you and I disagree.those were passes an NFL WR HAS TO MAKE!
Chambers dropped an easy one too but I don't see you calling for his head.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:38 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Chambers dropped an easy one too but I don't see you calling for his head.
Chambers did'nt lead the league in drops last year.anytime a pass hits you right in the hands weather Bowe or Chambers you HAVE to make the play.thse two drops by Bowe were the best throws Cassel made all game
Old 09-20-2010, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

DJ has 20 tackles in two games, it's nice to see him put up back to back good games for once.

Flowers has been lights out, I don't think he will go to the pro bowl (haters) but I think he will play like a pro bowler.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:46 PM    (permalink
chief_fan88
Rookie

chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Something that I have noticed about cassel is he gets a lot of passes batted down at the LOS, which caused one INT against the browns, and will probably cause more if he doesn't fix whatever problem that is, he's 6'4" or 6'5" I wouldn't think this shoud be a problem for someone his size.
Another thing he needs to step up into the pocket more, that's what its for.
chief_fan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:39 PM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_fan88 View Post
Something that I have noticed about cassel is he gets a lot of passes batted down at the LOS, which caused one INT against the browns, and will probably cause more if he doesn't fix whatever problem that is, he's 6'4" or 6'5" I wouldn't think this shoud be a problem for someone his size.
Another thing he needs to step up into the pocket more, that's what its for.
Good observations. It seems to me that he throws at a 3/4 motion on drag patterns sometimes and it seems to be getting tipped quite frequently. He did actually have a pocket on many occasions this week, but even though he does a good job of staying strong and looking up field, he doesn't seem to do well in stepping up and letting the play develop. I do think he will get better, but his ceiling doesn't appear quite as high as I hoped when we got him.
BPhilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Any pass over 20 yards and it's up for grabs for both teams, Cassel has no accuracy what so ever.

I to wonder why he has so many balls knocked down, at 6'5 you would think that would not be a problem.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:07 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey, you guys remember when I picked Derek Sherrod for ya'll in the Forum Mock back in May?

The same Derek Sherrod who's being hyped to oblivion by Scott Wright and heaps of posters?

Well I just wanted to *FLEX*.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote