Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:34 PM    (permalink
sup3rk1ng
Rookie

sup3rk1ng hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Tully Banta-cain signs with the niners w/ link

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2789594

Quote:
San Francisco 49ers: The 49ers added their fourth potential starter to their defense by reaching an agreement Tuesday with Patriots linebacker Tully Banta-Cain.

Terms of the deal weren't immediately available.

Banta-Cain was being looked at by 4-3 teams as a defensive end and 3-4 teams as a linebacker. He was replaced by Adalius Thomas in New England.

Banta-Cain, who has good speed, was a seventh-round pick from California and gets a chance to return to the Bay Area.

-- John Clayton
sup3rk1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:40 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

nice pick up for the Niners. They've really tried to address a lot of areas this offseason. Draft wise, I don't think anything's really changed. I still think it's WR or S for them, and if they go WR, the hunch is still Dwayne Bowe.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:42 PM    (permalink
sup3rk1ng
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
nice pick up for the Niners. They've really tried to address a lot of areas this offseason. Draft wise, I don't think anything's really changed. I still think it's WR or S for them, and if they go WR, the hunch is still Dwayne Bowe.
Nope, we need D-line help. To run a 3-4, we're going to need a defensive end like Adam Carriker or Alan Branch. Unless we trade up for Calvin Johnson, which I doubt, we're definitely going defense.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

The defense will be even better when the 49ers draft Alan Branch at 11.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

still not sold on DL. the problem was the NT spot last year, and Alan Branch isn't the best fit for the situation. He doesn't seem to be a fit for Manusky, and probably not Nolan either.

Carriker is possible, as he is quite intriguing and allows them versatility. That said, I think WR is a stronger option than suggested. The thing that has to be asked is, how do we get Alex Smith to improve, particularly, with Norv gone now? He needs additional weapons, weapons the Niners currently lack. Vernon Davis has a lot of potential ... but you can't be sure when that will manifest itself, as there were concerns last year on how that potential had to be molded.

But who knows, as all it is speculative. I'm not sold on the Branch fit, and I'm not sold that DE is such a pressing need to warrant spending a pick for when there are other needs, especially since capable developmental 3-4 DE options can be found later, and they could make a move for Demarcus Tyler to be the NT that they need.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All right signing, I guess. Not as high-profile as their previous signing. If they have a good draft, this team is 9-7 easily, with that weak division.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

I wonder if the 49ers will regret spending all this money in acouple years, or if it will really pay off and make them what they want to be?
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

Quote:
still not sold on DL. the problem was the NT spot last year, and Alan Branch isn't the best fit for the situation. He doesn't seem to be a fit for Manusky, and probably not Nolan either.

Carriker is possible, as he is quite intriguing and allows them versatility. That said, I think WR is a stronger option than suggested. The thing that has to be asked is, how do we get Alex Smith to improve, particularly, with Norv gone now? He needs additional weapons, weapons the Niners currently lack. Vernon Davis has a lot of potential ... but you can't be sure when that will manifest itself, as there were concerns last year on how that potential had to be molded.

But who knows, as all it is speculative. I'm not sold on the Branch fit, and I'm not sold that DE is such a pressing need to warrant spending a pick for when there are other needs, especially since capable developmental 3-4 DE options can be found later, and they could make a move for Demarcus Tyler to be the NT that they need.
Fields and Franklin will rotate at NT. Both are big space eaters.

The niners need a DT like Carriker and Branch to replace Bryant Young in the future.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good move signing Tully Banta-Cain, terms of the contract pending, as it gives the team an experienced player at OLB. Between this, the Nate Clements signing, and the Aubrayo Franklin signing, the 49ers have really addressed the defense this off-season.

I say they draft Adam Carriker as well, he would give them an additional playmaker up front that they are in need of.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:07 PM    (permalink
sup3rk1ng
Rookie

I'm a bit impartial on this signing..I was hoping we'd bring in a more experienced linebacker, but I guess nolan wants to stick with bringing in young guys. He's probably going to be in rotation with Parys Haralson and Roderick Green. I just like the fact that we took a player that the rams wanted to sign :)
Old 03-06-2007, 01:12 PM    (permalink
SanFran
Rookie

SanFran hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Nice fit for 3-4,played in that system last yr with the Pats ,but made a stupid as mistake with that late hit on Manning in championship game which i thought cost them the game....but well Niners are winners on this signing,his young and has a lot of potential to be good player for us
SanFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:14 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Fields and Franklin will rotate at NT. Both are big space eaters.

The niners need a DT like Carriker and Branch to replace Bryant Young in the future.
I do think Carriker is a strong possibility, but not Branch. I'm just not sold on the fit there.

But here's the question I ask. Is getting a rotational DE for the scheme this year more important than trying to get Alex Smith to take the next step? The passing options just aren't there right now to expect Alex Smith to take the next step, IMO. If you use Ben Watson as a comparable for Vernon Davis, slight improvement this year can be expected, but the mediocrity around concerns. Yes, this will be a power running team with Gore, but Alex still needs weapons.

Not saying they'll definitely go WR or what not, but I do think WR is a stronger option than many fans make it out to be. Who's there in the 2nd round? The slow Dwayne Jarrett? The somewhat one-dimensional Sidney Rice (who I do like ... but that doesn't diminish the fact that, as of now, he is somewhat 1-dimensional). Johnnie Lee Higgins and the smaller WR's don't seem to be fits. Craig Davis? There are options in the 2nd ... but do they role that dice?

We'll have to wait and see.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Don't even mention Jarrett, he's the next JJ Stokes/Mike Williams. I want no part of him.

Now Sidney Rice or Robert Meachem could be good option in the 2nd round possibly. That's if we don't take another pass rusher there.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The better course of action would seem to be taking Carriker in the 1st and then either Jason Hill or Craig Davis in the 2nd, as opposed to forcing yourself to take a WR at 11th overall and setting yourself back thereafter.

If Dwayne Bowe is within trading picks' distance of the 49ers' 2nd round pick, the 49ers should do whatever they can to get him. He's a better fit for the team than Ted Ginn Jr., Robert Meachem, or Sidney Rice, I think.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:24 PM    (permalink
sup3rk1ng
Rookie

Quote:
I do think Carriker is a strong possibility, but not Branch. I'm just not sold on the fit there.

But here's the question I ask. Is getting a rotational DE for the scheme this year more important than trying to get Alex Smith to take the next step? The passing options just aren't there right now to expect Alex Smith to take the next step, IMO. If you use Ben Watson as a comparable for Vernon Davis, slight improvement this year can be expected, but the mediocrity around concerns. Yes, this will be a power running team with Gore, but Alex still needs weapons.

Not saying they'll definitely go WR or what not, but I do think WR is a stronger option than many fans make it out to be. Who's there in the 2nd round? The slow Dwayne Jarrett? The somewhat one-dimensional Sidney Rice (who I do like ... but that doesn't diminish the fact that, as of now, he is somewhat 1-dimensional). Johnnie Lee Higgins and the smaller WR's don't seem to be fits. Craig Davis? There are options in the 2nd ... but do they role that dice?

We'll have to wait and see.
It's definitely not an option unless we trade back in to the first round and take a guy like Meachem. I can definitely see us going Wr in the second round(maybe Hill), but not first. We're a run first team, WR is a priority, but not over defensive line. We shouldn't even bother trying to run the 3-4 if we keep our defensive line the way it is right now.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:26 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

If Bowe falls to the latter half of the first, then yes, it would be smarter for them to go elsewhere and use their additional assets to deal up for him. I'm not sold that Bowe falls low enough, though. I like Hill and Davis both a lot (and I'm not sold both are their for their 2nd round pick). Both are, though, greater risks and bigger uncertainties. Do you roll the dice on Alex Smith's future with gambles and a medicore cast? It's possible, as I'm not ruling it out, but all I'm saying is that, they need a receiver to help Alex Smith, and I don't think WR is out of consideration at 11, where I still believe Bowe is fine value (as I have him as a top 15 value, so 11 is fine).
Old 03-06-2007, 01:28 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
The better course of action would seem to be taking Carriker in the 1st and then either Jason Hill or Craig Davis in the 2nd, as opposed to forcing yourself to take a WR at 11th overall and setting yourself back thereafter.

If Dwayne Bowe is within trading picks' distance of the 49ers' 2nd round pick, the 49ers should do whatever they can to get him. He's a better fit for the team than Ted Ginn Jr., Robert Meachem, or Sidney Rice, I think.

Bowe is a top 20 pick. No way we get him in the draft.

Last edited by Larry : 03-06-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:29 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup3rk1ng View Post
It's definitely not an option unless we trade back in to the first round and take a guy like Meachem. I can definitely see us going Wr in the second round(maybe Hill), but not first. We're a run first team, WR is a priority, but not over defensive line. We shouldn't even bother trying to run the 3-4 if we keep our defensive line the way it is right now.
Being a run-first team doesn't remove the need for the QB to develop, which, with Norv gone, means that, ostensibly, Alex will have to be provided with improved options. Again, I'm not saying WR is definitely the pick there, but I wouldn't rule it out since the value of Bowe is solid at 11. Do you gamble your QB's future with average talents (current cast) and gambles (as noted, like Hill and Davis, not sure both will be there, but one of them likely ... that said, they are still gambles)? It is possible they take that gamble, but to rule out WR at 11 right now, IMO, is a bit of a stretch.

Btw, as for my own mock, Carriker is off the board at that point already.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

If Carriker is off the board, then I could probably see them taking either Bowe or Meachem.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:36 PM    (permalink
sup3rk1ng
Rookie

Quote:
Being a run-first team doesn't remove the need for the QB to develop, which, with Norv gone, means that, ostensibly, Alex will have to be provided with improved options. Again, I'm not saying WR is definitely the pick there, but I wouldn't rule it out since the value of Bowe is solid at 11. Do you gamble your QB's future with average talents (current cast) and gambles (as noted, like Hill and Davis, not sure both will be there, but one of them likely ... that said, they are still gambles)? It is possible they take that gamble, but to rule out WR at 11 right now, IMO, is a bit of a stretch.

Btw, as for my own mock, Carriker is off the board at that point already.
Strengthening our defense is another way of helping him. It would take alot of pressure off of him knowing that our defense can make the stops. The only way I see us going wide receiver is if carriker, okoye and branch are all off the board. I don't really see that happening, but if it did, i think we'd go with robert meachem.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:41 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

You have an older Robert Meachem in Ashley Lelie already. I mean, basically similar types of receivers. I think if they look for a receiver there, Bowe would be the pick because

a) impressed them at Senior Bowel
b) provides the intermediate range tough, big target to complement Lelie going downfield.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:48 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

great signing, they needed a pass-rusher
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:09 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i have a feeling if they add a legit WR in the draft they are going to be an exceptionally good team
they r goin to challenge the seahawks for nfc west for sure

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
hugegmenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:49 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

very nice job by the 49ers; I really like what this guy will bring to the defense and they didn't have to pay 10 mil a year

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:49 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

#@$%$@%)@)$#%)@#$)@#_$_(

Thats all. Now I'm really getting sick and f'ing tired of the Rams not doing anything to our defense. I'm about ready to blow a fuse.

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote