Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 03-19-2009, 02:56 PM    (permalink
hannah73
Rookie

hannah73 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Will they cut Maroney?

If they don't he'll just get injured after another season dancing bhind the lines.

Maybe they should keep BJGE and another draftee and dump Maroney-head.

I know he has a cheap contract, but he takes up a valuable roster spot and just isn't that good.

Patsies aren't good at drafting RBs or WRs, apparently.
hannah73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:04 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only RB drafted in the BB era is Maroney, no? I can't think of another off-hand.

Injuries have slowed his growth, no doubt about that, but to say he just isn't that good is a bit much. He's got great burst and can lower his shoulder well, too. To me he just seems like a guy who gets injured so much he can't ever push throught that "Run Downhill G-Dammit" phase that rookies often have to handle.

Faulk, Fragile-Fred, Morris, Maroney & BJGE could all be kept on the roster. Fred takes the roster spot vacated by Jordan and BJGE takes that of Evans. I like quite a few RBs in this draft, so it will be very interesting to see how they fall. Hell, I'd be ok w/Moreno at 23, to be honest.

If they do draft a day one RB it will likely be Maroney on the outside looking in, though.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:07 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People forget how good he was his rookie year and at the end of 2007. It wasn't his fault McDaniels gives up on the running game in the second half of every game, and it wasn't his fault he was playing hurt the start of last year. People just don't like the guy for some reason, and I don't get it. He is by far the most talented running back on the team. Sheesh. He has averaged 4.5 yards per carry, but I guess that's not good enough, all because they don't like his style. Get a coordinator that knows how to use him and he'll be a 1500 yard per year back.
TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:24 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This anti-Maroney banter is just silly. The guy is an amazingly dangerous part of the Patriots' offense when he's on the field. He does things no one else on the roster can do, so he stays. Just hope he can get healthy this year.
________
Aleksa19

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:13 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:33 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
The only RB drafted in the BB era is Maroney, no? I can't think of another off-hand.

Injuries have slowed his growth, no doubt about that, but to say he just isn't that good is a bit much. He's got great burst and can lower his shoulder well, too. To me he just seems like a guy who gets injured so much he can't ever push throught that "Run Downhill G-Dammit" phase that rookies often have to handle.

Faulk, Fragile-Fred, Morris, Maroney & BJGE could all be kept on the roster. Fred takes the roster spot vacated by Jordan and BJGE takes that of Evans. I like quite a few RBs in this draft, so it will be very interesting to see how they fall. Hell, I'd be ok w/Moreno at 23, to be honest.

If they do draft a day one RB it will likely be Maroney on the outside looking in, though.
J.R. Redmond I believe. He was so amazing on that last drive in the first superbowl, his fighting to get out of bounds on that one play was so amazing and underrated.

Anyways, why would you cut a RB with the most talent out of the stable, and a pretty cheap contract? If he can stay healthy, he can be very, very productive in this offense. And if he gets hurt, he goes on the IR, a roster spot opens up, and one of our other 6 RB's takes his place.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:11 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A lot of things have been said in the past year or two regarding Maroney's toughness or lacktherof. However I was reading the below article and apparently he had a broken bone in his shoulder which he actuall played through. Now this doesn't automatically mean he is going to be an elite runner when fully healthy and in fact makes worse his biggest problem, IMO-his injury concerns, however now I think when discussing his merits on the field his toughness should not be brought into question.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...oken-shoulder/

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:39 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His body just isn't holding up to the NFL game that well, which is unfortunate. Once you have a shoulder injury in football, it's just going to keep popping up.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is definitely the increased risk/chance of the injury popping up again, but I wonder if that is really the case with a broken bone. If he didn't injur any ligaments or cartilege in the shoulder, how vulnerable is the shoulder really?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I saw that thing about his shoulder injury. I still have faith in him personally, he is too young and talented to give up on now. However a shoulder injury is tough, especially for a RB. We know he has the ability and he is more than just talent, he has the ability to be a great running back. We saw it his rookie year, if he can stay healthy our running game will be scary this year.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:19 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd keep him on roster. I would rather have him than BJGE honestly. He needs to get healthy and learn not to dance around behind the line of scrimmage but he has a very affordable deal and he's a former first-round pick who's only 24 years old. BJGE can pound it up the middle for 3-4 yards a run but Maroney offers more than that.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:18 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Also, a lot of the dancing was because the Pats just aren't a great power run-blocking team, which is what Maroney thrived at in Minnesota. The hole is rarely where it's drawn up to be in the Patriots' offense.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:14 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Also, a lot of the dancing was because the Pats just aren't a great power run-blocking team, which is what Maroney thrived at in Minnesota. The hole is rarely where it's drawn up to be in the Patriots' offense.
I suppose. I'd just like to see some more Sammy Morris, Corey Dillon kind of running from him.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:31 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Quote:
Actually, IIRC, Minnesota was a huge ZBS team when he was there. I believe that their o-linemen were all hovering around the 300 lb mark and could move well laterally (I only remember that because ESPN made a big thing out of it).
Old 05-26-2009, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
I suppose. I'd just like to see some more Sammy Morris, Corey Dillon kind of running from him.
I agree, I love having a back who can pound the ball. If Morris can manage to stay healthy as well as Maroney we could have a really nice backfield with Taylor and Faulk too. I loved what LaMont Jordan brought to us last year, he was very tough and ran hard. I know our backfield is more crowded now but he was the only guy who could stay healthy last year and he was a true downhill guy.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:33 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigburt63 View Post
Actually, IIRC, Minnesota was a huge ZBS team when he was there. I believe that their o-linemen were all hovering around the 300 lb mark and could move well laterally (I only remember that because ESPN made a big thing out of it).
They had smaller, athletic linemen, but they were really good at moving people and creating big holes (what I was trying to say). New England just kind of turns...they don't really move anyone too much.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:51 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Quote:
They had smaller, athletic linemen, but they were really good at moving people and creating big holes (what I was trying to say). New England just kind of turns...they don't really move anyone too much.
That is the zone though. It's not so much about moving people off the ball (you still need to do that), but more of getting the lineman to run laterally with a cutoff at some point on the backside. You dont need to blow people off the ball to do that; its all about reaching with a stop on the backside.