Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:53 AM    (permalink
LookItsAlDavis
Veteran

LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LookItsAlDavis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Mike Martz

I found this story earlier, and I found it kind of interesting.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11528497/rss

I don't really follow the guy around much, but I know he's a good offensive mind. Does anyone else agree with me and Lombardi that it's somewhat surprising that this guy doesn't have a job? Coaching the 49er's offensive talent, or lack thereof into the 13th-ranked passing offense has to be worth something. I wouldn't have minded him being hired as a passing-game coordinator for Oakland. Would you want him on your staff?
LookItsAlDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:04 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Isn't Martz a fairly prickly character who thinks incredibly highly of himself?

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:13 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think you'd easily find a 49er fan who was upset with the passing game he was able to install in San Francisco. Unfortunately, his scheme made the QBs sitting ducks on their 7+ step drops and 20 yard dig routes. In order to better protect against the pass rush, he kept Vernon Davis in to block and continued using 4 WR sets. There were several instances this season where the 49ers were leading and instead of utilizing Frank Gore to help run out the clock he continued passing the ball. Once Coach Singletary became interim, Martz offense was reigned-in and became a more effective, more ball-control style of offense which saw the 49ers win games. According to Singletary, Martz was unwilling to adapt to this style of offense full-time and that is why he was fired.

I believe he is a tremendously talented offensive mind. Unfortunately, I feel that many teams are weary of his style of offense and the tremendous difficulty it has shown to protect a teams QB as well as utilize all of the talent on the field.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
Isn't Martz a fairly prickly character who thinks incredibly highly of himself?
Well I'm not sure exactly, but I do believe there is a consensus that what you said may be partly correct, that his ego may be big or that his persona just doesn't always click the right way with people. The NFL is a business, but it is still important the way you come across to other people. Martz may have burned one too many bridges in this fashion.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:27 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Martz should be a college head coach at this point. It's obvious he can't mesh ego-wise with NFL head coaches and some NFL personnel. He needs to take his gimmick offense to college.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:54 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have never, ever been so irritated or baffled by the play selection & clock management of one single coach in my life - until Martz came along.

And it's not even like I see that many of his games since the Rams, Lions, and 49ers are not exactly top choices for nationally broadcast games.

IDK if it is his ego or something else, but he always seems incapable of utilizing the run game. While I agree the "Run 1st" type mentality is wrong if you have the right personnel, it is still important to run the ball enough to keep the D honest.

He sucks as a playcaller & manager. I would have no problem putting his offensive brilliance to work, but not if he has any say in play selection on Sunday.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:55 PM    (permalink
jj45
Rookie

jj45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

He does think highly of himself but he did win some rings but I agree he would do better in college he can be mike leach

jj45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:08 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Martz should be a college head coach at this point. It's obvious he can't mesh ego-wise with NFL head coaches and some NFL personnel. He needs to take his gimmick offense to college.
I don't think his ego would allow him to coach in college. It seems like most NFL people consider college ball simplistic.

I agree that he would do well though.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:45 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Ashley View Post
I found this story earlier, and I found it kind of interesting.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11528497/rss

I don't really follow the guy around much, but I know he's a good offensive mind. Does anyone else agree with me and Lombardi that it's somewhat surprising that this guy doesn't have a job? Coaching the 49er's offensive talent, or lack thereof into the 13th-ranked passing offense has to be worth something. I wouldn't have minded him being hired as a passing-game coordinator for Oakland. Would you want him on your staff?
I always loved Mike Martz. I know he has his faults but he and Norv Turner really have modernized the Air Croyell system. There must be something more to the story because it's a fraternity in the NFL among coaches. For him to not get picked up really means something. Either he thinks highly of himself, which turns off coaches, or he did something to make a bad name of himself among his peers.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj45 View Post
He does think highly of himself but he did win some rings but I agree he would do better in college he can be mike leach
Mike Martz won one Super Bowl ring as an offensive coordinator.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:24 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
His gimmick offense won a Super Bowl, and nearly a second one. It's not a gimmick if it's been effective at the absolute highest level.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's an easy analogy to understand: Martz is the Jeff George of coaches.

His talents will get your team a lot of passing yards but he will absolutely refuse to make what he does work with what the overall team wants to do. He will stick to his thing at all costs - even at the cost of winning.

Now, HE will say that doing what he does gives the team the best chance to win, but that's only true if the whole team adjusts to everything he wants. And he's too much of a prick to get everyone pulling in his direction enough to get all the things he wants.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:37 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Kevin View Post
Here's an easy analogy to understand: Martz is the Jeff George of coaches.

His talents will get your team a lot of passing yards but he will absolutely refuse to make what he does work with what the overall team wants to do. He will stick to his thing at all costs - even at the cost of winning.

Now, HE will say that doing what he does gives the team the best chance to win, but that's only true if the whole team adjusts to everything he wants. And he's too much of a prick to get everyone pulling in his direction enough to get all the things he wants.
Lions would have passed on Calvin without Martz's well documented prodding and begging. I get what you're saying, but let's face it a Jeff George comparison is too harsh for someone who has had so much success in the NFL.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
His gimmick offense won a Super Bowl, and nearly a second one. It's not a gimmick if it's been effective at the absolute highest level.
My bad. His offense is conventional. Yeah, not really.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Lions would have passed on Calvin without Martz's well documented prodding and begging. I get what you're saying, but let's face it a Jeff George comparison is too harsh for someone who has had so much success in the NFL.
That is by no means a sure thing. Millen as we know showed an unhealthy obsession with WR's well before Martz showed up. And anyway, look how even after that, Martz still had problems - saying for instance that the Lions "needed two tackles" because the ones he had were pissed about being put out there play after play to block seven-step-drop, 20 yard square in passing plays with no help, no hot routes and no audibles allowed. (Yes, the tackles also sucked, but that's beside the point)
Old 03-20-2009, 04:11 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
My bad. His offense is conventional. Yeah, not really.
Hm we may have to find a middle ground. :D
Old 03-20-2009, 04:27 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He'd be awful in college. No college QB could keep up with the constant adding of plays every day.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:30 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some coaches are just not meant for college. Martz is one of them.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:30 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
He'd be awful in college. No college QB could keep up with the constant adding of plays every day.

You know it'd be awesome.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:03 PM    (permalink
MarioPalmer
Veteran

MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer

Coming from a St.Louis Rams fan, this guy is garbage, he is a horrid judge of talent, a terribly egotistical maniac and he has problems not being the boss of bosses. He hates being told what to do, and it's his way or the highway. The guy is a bum, if he could for one second not be such a dick, and actually just go back to coaching and not worry about all the other BS he would be a great QB coach, actually he'd be a genius QB coach, but he is such a douche that it's impossible for him to be just a coach.
MarioPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:35 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have to admit, I wonder about Martz as a potential successor to Tom Moore as offensive coordinator for the Colts, should Moore retire soon (supposedly he considered it this offseason but wanted to keep coaching).

Martz would have to tweak his offense a bit, letting Peyton adjust at the line to improve plays. But, even though it was only the Pro Bowl setting and a week of basic offense/defense, I thought Peyton had a good chemisty with fellow Coryell branchee Norv Turner and his offense at the 2008 Pro Bowl.

Martz not pounding the ball isn't the end of the world imo, running the ball is overrated. But he needs an offensive line that can pass protect and a quarterback to deliver the ball quickly, which the Colts do have.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Martz doesn't seem like a Colts kind of guy.
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:26 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I have to admit, I wonder about Martz as a potential successor to Tom Moore as offensive coordinator for the Colts, should Moore retire soon (supposedly he considered it this offseason but wanted to keep coaching).

Martz would have to tweak his offense a bit, letting Peyton adjust at the line to improve plays. But, even though it was only the Pro Bowl setting and a week of basic offense/defense, I thought Peyton had a good chemisty with fellow Coryell branchee Norv Turner and his offense at the 2008 Pro Bowl.

Martz not pounding the ball isn't the end of the world imo, running the ball is overrated. But he needs an offensive line that can pass protect and a quarterback to deliver the ball quickly, which the Colts do have.
Martz as the Colts OC would be scary. Peyton would love it.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:54 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Peyton would love it AT ALL. Peyton is used to calling his own plays at the line and audibling ad nauseum. Martz system doesn't allow for audibles. Manning's "happy feet" could really be exposed on deep drops with minimal protection. Dallas Clark would be eliminated as a target in the offense. All things that are against everything the Colts have been best at.

Also, despite both Martz and Turner descending from the Coryell tree, their systems are almost entirely different. Turner's system utilizes a strong running game to accomodate play-action as well as consistent usage of the tight end. Martz rarely uses play-action and the TE in his offense is virtually non-existent.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:09 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I don't think Peyton would love it AT ALL. Peyton is used to calling his own plays at the line and audibling ad nauseum. Martz system doesn't allow for audibles. Manning's "happy feet" could really be exposed on deep drops with minimal protection. Dallas Clark would be eliminated as a target in the offense. All things that are against everything the Colts have been best at.

Also, despite both Martz and Turner descending from the Coryell tree, their systems are almost entirely different. Turner's system utilizes a strong running game to accomodate play-action as well as consistent usage of the tight end. Martz rarely uses play-action and the TE in his offense is virtually non-existent.

Yeah actually all 3 main Coryell guys have a different twist from Turner to Martz to Al Saunders. Only thing Turner and Martz have in common is the terminology which is something my team used when I coached. I love the use of the terminology for that system. Alot of the passing concepts for the system are the same but utilized in different ways due to formation differences and such.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote