Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-22-2009, 07:07 PM    (permalink
ESimsfan87
Rookie

ESimsfan87 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Probably can start pre-ordering those Stafford jerseys.

With the good results at his Pro day, a wonderlic score higher than Matt Ryan's and Cutler talk today, I really feel that even though the Lions aren't identifying who they're in contract negotiations with, it has to be Stafford.

Word comes today that the Broncos are going to once again try to mend the fence with Cutler, McDaniels mentions earlier in the week that they want a QB in return, and the Lions only having picks to give up, really only makes it easier to connect the dots.

So what do you guys think that we're going to try to get this thing signed and possibly have him for otas and training camp?
ESimsfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:10 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

If it is Stafford, then why didnt we wait until after his personal workout? No matter who it is I just want them signed and in camp on time and it would be great if we can sign him ahead of time
Old 03-22-2009, 07:17 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation...-contract.html

multiple prospects
Old 03-22-2009, 07:31 PM    (permalink
ESimsfan87
Rookie

Yeah, I guess that is interesting, but the reason for Lewand to say that is just to make sure by any means that some team doesn't try to give up the farm for a player.

The Chiefs for example, if they have their eyes set on Curry and see the Lions entering negotiations with "multiple players" are going to believe that Curry may be one of those and try to float an offer our way.

It's go to be an 80% shot that it's Stafford though. If you try to connect the dots it makes much more sense than any of the other approaches. I also don't get why the Lions never hosted Eugene Monroe? Just found that a little strange.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:52 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am still holding out a little hope for a LT ... it's a tiny bit of hope, but it's still alive ;o)

It will be interesting to see if management sticks to their plan they announced at Schwartz's presser ... "run the football and stop the run". Stafford does not fit into that mantra really? Go Monroe @ #1 move Bacus to guard, get a DT @ pick #20 (Jerry/Hood), MLB @ pick #33 (Laurinitus) and TE @ #65 (Coffman/Casey/Nelson) and we are sticking to our plan and improving up front!
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:06 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we're going to stick to the "run the football" mentality and pass on Stafford, why not just trade Calvin Johnson while we're at it?

Also, I don't think we need an OT this year unless we decide to dump off Backus. We'd be better off picking a LG this year, and if we feel the need to, look at a LT in Round 2 next year.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:01 PM    (permalink
ESimsfan87
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
If we're going to stick to the "run the football" mentality and pass on Stafford, why not just trade Calvin Johnson while we're at it?

Also, I don't think we need an OT this year unless we decide to dump off Backus. We'd be better off picking a LG this year, and if we feel the need to, look at a LT in Round 2 next year.
Yeah exactly, what a lot of these people who are so against Stafford and a QB for that matter fail to realize that although CJ is our best player, you can't have crap throwing to him his entire career and expect for him to be happy/good.

Additionally, by getting a QB defenses have to prepare for you are allowing more opportunities for Kevin Smith to be able to have running lanes. There's just so much more of a falloff in my opinion from Stafford to Sanchez than there is from Monroe/Smith to guys like Britton/Beatty or a guard that can come along later.

Ex. If Stafford is the best QB to come around in the next three years and you go with Jason Smith. You're going to be pigeonholed into getting maybe the second or third best overall tackle to come out in a span of three years and a second rate QB of a span of three years if you try to address in another draft.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:12 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

KFFL says its Jason Smith? I'm guessing someone talked to Smith's agent and they learned that he was negotiating with the Lions. I bet we all negotiating with 3-4 guys.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:17 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
KFFL says its Jason Smith? I'm guessing someone talked to Smith's agent and they learned that he was negotiating with the Lions. I bet we all negotiating with 3-4 guys.
I hope that's not true.. It'd be a big mistake to pass on Stafford this year..

Old 03-23-2009, 01:21 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Lions | To take J. Smith with first pick?
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 18:38:30 -0700
KFFL has learned the Detroit Lions will take Baylor OT Jason Smith with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

I assume they got this news from Tom Kowalski?

Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 AM    (permalink
PossumBoy9
Rookie

PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
I am still holding out a little hope for a LT ... it's a tiny bit of hope, but it's still alive ;o)

It will be interesting to see if management sticks to their plan they announced at Schwartz's presser ... "run the football and stop the run". Stafford does not fit into that mantra really?
Every team needs a QB.
PossumBoy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:28 AM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll be happy either way.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:40 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stafford fans (me included), this could be a signal that the wheels are turning on the Cutler trade, we don't like Stafford, we like Sanchez or Freeman, Mayhew trusts Culpepper way to much, or its just not even true.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:39 AM    (permalink
shady00
Rookie

shady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairshady00 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

My guess is someone at KFFL didn't realize that the Lions talking to Smith doesn't necessarily mean they are going to select him.

Last edited by shady00 : 03-23-2009 at 03:54 AM.
shady00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:13 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady00 View Post
My guess is someone at KFFL didn't realize that the Lions talking to Smith doesn't necessarily mean they are going to select him.
Or they saw the Kowalski article that said "The Lions will select a LT at #1" or something along those lines.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:59 AM    (permalink
ESimsfan87
Rookie

Quote:
Or they saw the Kowalski article that said "The Lions will select a LT at #1" or something along those lines.
Yeah, what really grinds my gears is that the way they write it, it only comes across as a blatant rumor.

Really, KFFL? Care to shed the source. Or is it you just getting info from Stafford hater number one in Kowalski?

I wouldn't put much faith in it.

Someone mentioned that the site is so low budget that there's no way they'd be able to afford a real NFL insider with connections, so my guess is that maybe there was a little bit of contact but 90 percent says they have just been reading Kowalski's propoganda/mlive forums.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:17 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm going to write a letter to Tom Lewand and Martin Mayhew. I will inform them that if they select Matt Stafford I will buy my first NFL jersey since I was 6 years old. However, I will not buy a Jason Smith jersey.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:33 AM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Thats a bit severe.

If we do go offensive line and build it up so that we can run the ball to setup the pass Calvin Johnson will have an easier time out there. As it is now NO team respects the run and Calvin gets double covered. If we pass on Stafford to draft and OT, it will help out Calvin immensely.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:11 PM    (permalink
TheDoctor8
Rookie

TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblain1 View Post
Thats a bit severe.

If we do go offensive line and build it up so that we can run the ball to setup the pass Calvin Johnson will have an easier time out there. As it is now NO team respects the run and Calvin gets double covered. If we pass on Stafford to draft and OT, it will help out Calvin immensely.
Well when DanO doesn't even care to read a defense, take three steps and throw it as far as he can it is easy to double Calvin. Get a QB that understands coverages and it won't be as easy.
TheDoctor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:12 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblain1 View Post
Thats a bit severe.

I don't see how it's a bit severe.. if we're willing to pass on a Franchise Quarterback because we want to be able to run the ball, what good is a Receiver to us?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jason Smith? Srsly?

*walks away to bang head against wall*

*in the distance my screams of pain can be heard just over my mantra 'it's a ******* shoe-in and they still manage to screw it up', which I sing to the drum of my blood-drenched skull beating into my wall*

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:26 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see this is a pretty PRO Stafford post ... don't hate on a former lineman for liking the HOGS!
Stafford is a talent but isn't there a "franchise QB" in every years draft in the top 10 picks? We will be picking there again next year where the QB class will be solid ... I say wait.
I just want the organization to do what they say their plan has been from the start which is run the ball and stuff it on D. I want to buy in. I want to see improvement not lip service.
Stick to that pattern in the draft; build in the trenches a foundation with big, physical, mean guys with several of the top 5 picks. Feel free to dress it up next year with the sexy decor, maybe a TE this year or something in a later round. This team is not anywhere near an Atlanta or Baltimore or Miami from 08 who was a Jake Long or a rookie QB away from play-off football in 2009. You're watching a different team than I am if that is what you think of these Lions! Make this a 2-3 year plan to build it to run the ball and stuff the run on D (almost like an expansion team?!) And let Mayhem & Schwartz continue to do their thing.
We need youthful impact players up front, playing from day 1. Eugene Monroe then Peria Jerry/Ziggy Hood in the first round. Not sexy, just productive.

Out -
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:41 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I want Stafford, expecting that we won't win any time soon. Just selecting him won't solve our problems, but it's the biggest step. We still need to use the next two years to build around him. The important part is that we have our QB on our team as soon as possible.

Don't get me wrong. I want to upgrade at LT, but right now, with this team, a new regime, the #1 overall pick, and Daunte Culpepper/Drew Stanton/Drew Henson at QB, we have to use the pick on Stafford.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:46 PM    (permalink
ESimsfan87
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
I see this is a pretty PRO Stafford post ... don't hate on a former lineman for liking the HOGS!
Stafford is a talent but isn't there a "franchise QB" in every years draft in the top 10 picks? We will be picking there again next year where the QB class will be solid ... I say wait.
I just want the organization to do what they say their plan has been from the start which is run the ball and stuff it on D. I want to buy in. I want to see improvement not lip service.
Stick to that pattern in the draft; build in the trenches a foundation with big, physical, mean guys with several of the top 5 picks. Feel free to dress it up next year with the sexy decor, maybe a TE this year or something in a later round. This team is not anywhere near an Atlanta or Baltimore or Miami from 08 who was a Jake Long or a rookie QB away from play-off football in 2009. You're watching a different team than I am if that is what you think of these Lions! Make this a 2-3 year plan to build it to run the ball and stuff the run on D (almost like an expansion team?!) And let Mayhem & Schwartz continue to do their thing.
We need youthful impact players up front, playing from day 1. Eugene Monroe then Peria Jerry/Ziggy Hood in the first round. Not sexy, just productive.

Out -
I understand what you're saying, however every draft for one franchise qb there's always two elite offensive tackles. No one is expecting us to be good for awhile. I'm not even expecting Stafford to play this year. The problem I have is that everyone seems to think you can just plug in a QB and ride him to a super bowl. With how difficult it is to find QB's, when you have an opportunity to take a QB with an elite arm, intangibles, intelligence, and awareness to dissect a defense you have to take him. While these intangibles reflect how many felt about Ryan no one was ever calling JaMarcus Russell intelligent.

Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith aren't really are that appealing to me. I realize we are in a rebuilding effort for a good two years minimum. I would take Stafford, your d-line man, and then get the best interior lineman available with the first pick of the second round. Everyone making the case for the tackles fail to realize that this is a fantastic year for interior offensive lineman talent and Backus has never had even a mediocre left guard next to him.

This year you can get your QB and get an interior offensive lineman and then come back next year and get the bookend tackle to replace Backus.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:56 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we have to look at it from a 2-3 year rebuilding. Thats why it has to be stafford he's going to need a year anyway so we take him let him ride bench and next year we get our LT if Backus doesnt step up. Who knows if we get a good OG next to backus he may be good.

I say we do this:

1a. Stafford

1b. Jerry or Mauluga

2. Britton (play him at OG and this gives us options for next year between Backus or him, if both fail to look like our LT then we draft one)

Then defense all they way down