Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-23-2009, 11:37 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Next years QB's will be solid compared to what? The Alex Smith QB class?

Matt Stafford is grading out very high for every scout, like one of the top QB prospects of this decade.

I'd say more top flight linemen come out every year than QB's, over the last few years, we've had Robert Gallery, Joe Thomas, D'Brick, Long, Clady... all of which would be the highest ranked tackle prospect, or at least right up there with this class.

quarterbacks? Carson Palmer is the only CLEARLY better prospect than Stafford since 2003, a few guys are arguable...

Still, the Lions line isn't going to be Houston Texan bad, and you'll have a solid back and a dominant receiver to throw too, and im sure they'll patch the line some.

Honestly the gap between Stafford and Sanchez is much much much much much bigger than the gap between the top 4 tackles.

You'd be passing on a top notch QB prospect with all of the tools for next years class where there are a bunch of flawed system QB's.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:41 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
I am still holding out a little hope for a LT ... it's a tiny bit of hope, but it's still alive ;o)

It will be interesting to see if management sticks to their plan they announced at Schwartz's presser ... "run the football and stop the run". Stafford does not fit into that mantra really? Go Monroe @ #1 move Bacus to guard, get a DT @ pick #20 (Jerry/Hood), MLB @ pick #33 (Laurinitus) and TE @ #65 (Coffman/Casey/Nelson) and we are sticking to our plan and improving up front!
an keep Culpepper as your QB?..

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:54 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think aside from BJ Raji, the DT that I want the most is Ziggy Hood.. If we can pick him up at #33 while adding Maualuga or a CB at #20, I think we would have had an awesome awesome day one.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:30 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
I think aside from BJ Raji, the DT that I want the most is Ziggy Hood.. If we can pick him up at #33 while adding Maualuga or a CB at #20, I think we would have had an awesome awesome day one.
i agree that would be a very good pick i do like the idea of taking a OT at 33 as well tho and letting him and backus fight it out for who plays LT and OG
Old 03-24-2009, 10:47 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
we have to look at it from a 2-3 year rebuilding. Thats why it has to be stafford he's going to need a year anyway so we take him let him ride bench and next year we get our LT if Backus doesnt step up. Who knows if we get a good OG next to backus he may be good.

I say we do this:

1a. Stafford

1b. Jerry or Mauluga

2. Britton (play him at OG and this gives us options for next year between Backus or him, if both fail to look like our LT then we draft one)

Then defense all they way down
I'm very anti Mauluga. As I've said before, he has a real problem with over pursuit. With Sims already overruning everything and looking lost half the time last year, I'm not in favor of having another overpursuing player at the LB spot.

Britton is really looking more and more like a RT. I really haven't seen too many people actually projecting him at LT at this point. With Cherilus already in the fold, I'd be shocked (and dismayed) to see us select Britton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:58 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really think everyone should be thinking of a few prospects at each spot they could live with at this point.

1.Stafford, Jason Smith, Monroe

20.Ziggy Hood, Peria Jerry, William Beatty, Alphonso Smith, Larry English

Quote:

Old 03-25-2009, 06:49 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRath View Post
an keep Culpepper as your QB?..

Listen, the Lion's have to sleep in the bed they make fella ... by that I mean last year they sign a guy waaaaay out of shape off the street and play him after 1 practice with 5 plays to use on his wrist (this was a joke, I did not agree with it) then this organization turns their back on Jon Kitna, ignores Dan rlovsky and refuse to put Drew Stanton in a position to develop, all the while restructuring Culpepper's contract for this year. (again, I did not agree with this decision) So ... based on that, Culpepper is your organizations guy at QB for 2009, at least for the first 1/2 of the season. Even if they draft Stafford #1, and then assuming he gets a deal done quickly and is in camp to build chemistry and then catches on unbeleivably fast to the verbage and speed of the NFL ... (breath) he will probably sit for several weeks!
So get used to Culpepper. Again, not my choice ... the Lion's.
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:02 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's see....when was the last time the Lions passed on a stud QB prospect in order to take an OT. Oh yeah, last year when they took Gosder Cherilus the pick before the Ravens took Joe Flacco. Boy, that worked out pretty good...
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:14 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Let's see....when was the last time the Lions passed on a stud QB prospect in order to take an OT. Oh yeah, last year when they took Gosder Cherilus the pick before the Ravens took Joe Flacco. Boy, that worked out pretty good...
In 2006 we passed on Leinart and Cutler for Ernie Sims. In 2005 we passed on Aaron Rodgers for Mike Williams. In 2004 we passed on Ben Roethlisberger for Roy Williams. I'm sick of passing on franchise quarterbacks!!!
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:23 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

I don't know that I'd call Flacco a franchise QB yet. He was helped a ton by having a great defense. Towards the end of the season and playoffs, he looked like a member of the **** it I'm going deep fan club with Rex Grossman.

Quote:

Old 03-25-2009, 11:22 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Flacco was as impressive as Ryan, given the talent on offense they had to work with. Ryan is the greatest QB ever to some, but he wasn't much different from Flacco really.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:51 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Nobody expected Joe Flacco to be taken at #18. So far, it's turned out good for them.. but I wouldn't have given any thought to Joe Flacco in the Top 20 last year.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:30 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
In 2006 we passed on Leinart and Cutler for Ernie Sims. In 2005 we passed on Aaron Rodgers for Mike Williams. In 2004 we passed on Ben Roethlisberger for Roy Williams. I'm sick of passing on franchise quarterbacks!!!
I couldn't agree more. I'd like to cheer for a team with at least a decent QB, not some Jesusfreak or a guy who was good 4 years ago when he had Randy Moss.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:49 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I didn't want Matt Leinart or Aaron Rodgers, though.. I would've loved to get Ben Roethlisberger, but the time wasn't right to move past Harrington..That was only his 3rd year, right?

Old 03-26-2009, 05:19 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I didn't want Matt Leinart or Aaron Rodgers, though.. I would've loved to get Ben Roethlisberger, but the time wasn't right to move past Harrington..That was only his 3rd year, right?

I think it was more a case of Millern not wanting to admit that Harrington was going to be nothing. That is one of the problems drafting a QB, your GM will be slow to admit it was a mistake and get on with finding a replacement. They let the flop hang on for a year or 2 longer than they should. This is a common occurance in the NFL.
Mooch never liked Harrington as his QB right from the start but was unable to get a replacement from Millen until they signed Garcia who unfortunately was injured the whole year we had him.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:48 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wanted Aaron Rodgers, maybe not as much as Derrick Johnson or Shawne Merriman, but he was my top quarterback that draft. I had him rated higher than Alex Smith and I know some teams did too. The problem is, no one after San Francisco "needed" a quarterback.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:30 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/...show_true.html

Not worthy of its own thread and an obvious smokescreen by the 49ers.but.
But, the 49ers are taking Stafford "off of their board" due to an over reaction to a psychological exam. Does this change your opinion about Stafford or are you like me and this doesn't change a damn thing and is a non story.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:17 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
Does this change your opinion about Stafford or are you like me and this doesn't change a damn thing and is a non story.
It makes me like him more than I already did, and I didn't think that was possible. The psychologist's comment was completely out of line and I'm glad he stood up for himself and gave that response. Most kids would bend over for these guys but I really respect Stafford's approach. If you try and dig that deep into someone's personal life then you get what is coming to you.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Geason Noceur
Rookie

Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/...show_true.html

Not worthy of its own thread and an obvious smokescreen by the 49ers.but.
But, the 49ers are taking Stafford "off of their board" due to an over reaction to a psychological exam. Does this change your opinion about Stafford or are you like me and this doesn't change a damn thing and is a non story.
The whole thing about him blowing off the psychologist is completely untrue. The SF Chronicle blog made that up. If you want to know exactly what happened read the Sports Illustrated article, which is where all of this started.

The 49ers interview, conducted by a team psychologist, struck Stafford as odd. His account: When the psychologist asked about his parents, he explained that they were divorced when he was in high school and that he'd adjusted well; told he sounded as if he might have unfinished business concerning the divorce, Stafford said there certainly was not. "I felt like, I wonder how much I'm being charged per hour for this?" he says. "But I understand. They're going to pay a lot of money in the first round."

From what I can tell from that paragraph, Stafford was never miffed or defensive. All he did was say that he did not have unfinished business. He said that he felt not that he told the psychologist that he wondered how much he was being charged for the psychoanalysis. This is a non-story in my opinion.
Geason Noceur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:19 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

See, that makes much more sense. I think that it's possible that Singeltary was trying to get some other teams to pass on him so he would be available at #10.