Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 03-24-2009, 07:15 PM    (permalink
hannah73
Rookie

hannah73 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default I think they pick Michael Johnson at #34

He's strong enough to hold up at the point. Phenominal athlete and 6'7" 265. BB said his ideal OLB was about 6'5" 260 IIRC. Look at his you-tube videos ( i know it's misleading to look at selective videos).

People say he's soft or something, I think that's a bad rap. I could have sworn I read teh pats like him (and clay matthews who I think is too small) but can't seem to find it.

Also Everette Brown has some videos out there. He has the quickest moves and balance..it's uncanny. He'll stutter and catch the OL leaning one way and he's by him in a flash. Like blocking a ghost. Pats are visiting with him, maybe he falls to #23 or maybe they move up.

I hope they pick RAshad Johnson rather than Delmas. Delmas didn't look very special. You could probably get Johnson in the 3rd.

Michael Johnson
Jarron Gilbert
Fenukii Tupuo
Rashad Johnson
Antonio Appleby
Jarrett Dillard

Maybe a DE to ILB conversion like Mitch King.

That would be a good draft, I think.
hannah73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:03 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you have a couple of misconceptions.

6'5 260 is ideal size assuming the guy is fluid enough and understands how to use leverage. Michael Johnson is suspect in both areas. He's also a couple inches and a few pounds too big. I wouldn't exactly call him soft, but he has one of the worst motors in the draft and really isn't a factor nine out of ten plays. I would be very interested to see where you saw that said the Patriots like him, because not only does Johnson not project to the 3-4 but he's also the exact opposite type of player we usually take.

As far as Matthews goes, what makes him too small? He's 245 pounds. Could just as well be 250+ in a pinch to hold up at the point of attack. Most pass rushers in the 3-4 are about that size. Size isn't a concern, plus he plays bigger than that so you can really forgive a couple of pounds.

Everette Brown would be amazing, but he has a chance of going top five. He's a top ten pick at worse right now. There's no way in hell he drops down to 23. If he did, it wouldn't even be a decision. But there's no way. The Browns are all over him and if he somehow gets by them then the Packers will be more than happy to take him and put him besides Aaron Kampman.

Rashad Johnson would be excellent. I really think Merriweather looked good when he played on the strong side last year and while he isn't as big as your traditional strong safety, he's good enough against the run to stick there. Johnson would bring a lot of playmaking ability to our secondary. He's the type of guy who could get us 4+ picks a year pretty routinely. Not sure he would be there in the 3rd, but one of our later second rounders is a good possibility.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:19 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Johnson, to me, doesn't seem like the type of player that the patriots pick. He has questionable work ethic, which is something the patriots almost never draft, and never draft high. I can't remember a single prospect the patriots have drafted that has/had questionable work ethic, outside of Chad Jackson IIRC, and look how that one worked out.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:45 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I sure hope they don't draft Michael Johnson at 34 or at any other spot in the draft. When I watched him play he consistently got pushed around by offensive linemen and was pretty much a non-factor in every Georgia Tech game I saw.
TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:26 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't see Michael Johnson as a possibility because the Patriots have a habit of passing on the athletic freak for the hard-working, smart player, ie Clay Matthews, Brian Cushing etc. I don't think Everette Brown is much of a possibility either. Best case scenario is the Browns take Orakpo, Oakland take Crabtree, the Packers take Raji, the 49ers take A. Smith/Oher and he falls out of the top ten. By then the Bills and Broncos would be very likely to take him and even if Buffalo didn't want him they wouldn't trade with the Patriots.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:37 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Off the top of my head the Patriots have not really drafted the hard-working smart player in recent years. Instead, they've usually opted for good athletes.

-Ben Watson ran a ridiculous 40-time.
-Chad Jackson was big, fast, and athletic.
-Laurence Maroney isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but he was a heck of a RB prospect.
-Brandon Merriweather is a specimen, but not the prototypical smart defender.
-Jerod Mayo was a classic mix of both, but he still a heck of an athlete.

I feel like the Pats are expected to take these "smart, hard-working types" every year and they never do (Posluszny and Connor off the top of my head).

Maybe this will be the year when they finally do make that pick (Matthews, J-Lau), but I'm of the belief that BB and that staff feels they can coach anybody (Randy Moss), and that the skillset is #1 on their priority list in terms of a prospect.

I think they will like MJ.

- Ko Simpson
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Off the top of my head the Patriots have not really drafted the hard-working smart player in recent years. Instead, they've usually opted for good athletes.

-Laurence Maroney isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but he was a heck of a RB prospect.

I feel like the Pats are expected to take these "smart, hard-working types" every year and they never do (Posluszny and Connor off the top of my head).

Maybe this will be the year when they finally do make that pick (Matthews, J-Lau), but I'm of the belief that BB and that staff feels they can coach anybody (Randy Moss), and that the skillset is #1 on their priority list in terms of a prospect.

Meriweather and Mayo were actually considered to be very smart prospects and also were great physical specimens. Jackson didn't work out, and Maroney was likewise just a great prospect. And watson is actually a smart guy, he just has trouble catching consistently.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:26 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We don't like taking slow linebackers from the Big Ten(Like James Laurinaitis) but we do have a tendency to take guys who work hard and don't have issues with motor or intensity.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-25-2009, 05:52 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post

While Maroney and Jackson can be used as examples when talking about hard-working players Mayo and Merriweather are extremely high on the list. Mayo was able to learn the defense which is extremely complex by pretty much week one and be great. Merriweather 2 years ago had a bad case of stone hands but worked very hard during the offseason to rectify it and got more interceptions than was expected.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Johnson is a little too one dimensional when it come to what we look for in linebackers. He has great pass rushing potential but he really wouldn't offer too much against the run and he is unproven in coverage. He also would not be able to play inside so he really doesn't offer much versatility. The Crable pick last year suprised me a little because he is strictly an outside guy and he is primarily a pass rusher, but he is decent against the run and solid in coverage. I just don't see Johnson fitting in well to our defense.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:58 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Crable is not strictly an outside guy. He can at least play the Ted in New England's defense. He's not some DE convert, he's always been a linebacker.

The Pats seem to be seriously playing with the idea of introducing a new innovation to the 3-4: a big, athletic DE at OLB.

They've been linked to several players like this: Peppers, Taylor, Ayers, Johnson... It's not what they do now, but it's something they seem to be seriously considering.

The defense was at its best when they had a 6'5 275lb Willie McGinnest at SLB... So it really isn't something they haven't done before...they just haven't done it with someone who is thought of as strictly a DE...
________
Park Royal 3 Condos Pattaya

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:15 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:03 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Crable is not strictly an outside guy. He can at least play the Ted in New England's defense. He's not some DE convert, he's always been a linebacker.

The Pats seem to be seriously playing with the idea of introducing a new innovation to the 3-4: a big, athletic DE at OLB.

They've been linked to several players like this: Peppers, Taylor, Ayers, Johnson... It's not what they do now, but it's something they seem to be seriously considering.

The defense was at its best when they had a 6'5 275lb Willie McGinnest at SLB... So it really isn't something they haven't done before...they just haven't done it with someone who is thought of as strictly a DE...
Crable is strictly an outside guy. He may have played linebacker and Michigan, but he wasn't very skilled at the position. If he hadn't been picked by a 3-4 team he was going to be moved to defensive end because he was just so raw at the position. Doesn't have the coverage skills to play ILB and it would be taking away from the part of his game we should actually be excited about.

As far as going for a bigger guy, it's been done before. Willie is a good example, but 275 is a little big for him. He was listed at 270 and was probably a bit lighter back in the day. As far as the guys listed, out of all of them, Taylor is the only one with experience in a 3-4 and would be the only one I would trust. Ayers doesn't excite me enough as a pass rusher and he's more an example of a classic left end. Don't understand why people want to bring him to a 3-4 defense at all. Peppers is the prototypical defensive end. It's exciting to think about adding his kind of athleticism, but there's doubts about his abilities in coverage. As far as Johnson goes, I have yet to see someone have concrete evidence we're linked to him. It would absolutely defy everything we did under BB and Pioli. Johnson outright takes plays off. When he's not taking plays off, you always wonder just how intense he's playing. If he gave a bit more effort, he would be out of our reach and that would almost be a good thing because I know I'm not the only one here who wants absolutely nothing to do with him.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-26-2009, 11:24 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not saying I like Johnson, but I could see them drafting him if they brought in a Taylor or Peppers. And I really don't like Ayers at all, but they have expressed interest in him.
________
NEXIUM CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:16 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:27 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I don't get that at all. Ayers will make a nice end for somebody, but that's really taking supply and demand to a new level. He's just not suited for that role.

As far as Jason Taylor goes, the only reason I can think of that he's not a Patriots yet is he's contemplating retirement. Belichick absolutely loves him.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-26-2009, 11:40 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^ That or he doesn't want to believe a pay cut is in order at his age. Or maybe he's just in terrible shape and there is no interest in him. He did miss a ton of time with that freaky leg injury.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:07 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
^ That or he doesn't want to believe a pay cut is in order at his age. Or maybe he's just in terrible shape and there is no interest in him. He did miss a ton of time with that freaky leg injury.
Wouldn't be taking a pay cut considering he's not making any money at the moment. Skins cut him. He wouldn't to stay in Washington for offseason workouts. It sounds like he doesn't want to play football very much anymore.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-26-2009, 01:32 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What I meant was he probably wants a bigger salary than any team is willing to pay for a guy who is very old (football-wise) and coming off an IR season. But it could be that he hasn't decided if he wants to play. That would also explain why he does not seem to be in the news visiting teams.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote