Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 03-31-2009, 01:26 PM    (permalink
starwitness
Rookie

starwitness hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default My Fins Wishlist

This will take some luck, but I think its realistic.

1. Hakeem Nicks
2a. Connor Barwin
2b. Macho Harris CB
3. Jasper Brinkley ILB
4. Nic Harris OLB/SS
5. Terrance Knighton NT
6. Glen Coffee RB
7a. Brandon Tate WR
7b. Deangelo Smith CB
starwitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwitness View Post
This will take some luck, but I think its realistic.

1. Hakeem Nicks
2a. Connor Barwin
2b. Macho Harris CB
3. Jasper Brinkley ILB
4. Nic Harris OLB/SS
5. Terrance Knighton NT
6. Glen Coffee RB
7a. Brandon Tate WR
7b. Deangelo Smith CB
Not a fan of either Harris. Nicks would be a very nice pick in rd 1, but I would prefer D. Robert Ayers or Darius Butler may be realistic options in rd 1. I would love if Tate was still available in rd 7. Playmaker who you have to wait a yr for, but would be a huge bargain...
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:06 PM    (permalink
starwitness
Rookie

Nic Harris could make a great OLB in passing situations. He played saftey in college so he shouldnt have a problem in coverage and with some seasoning he should be able to bring pressure off the edge as well. Thomas Davis, the OLB from the Panthers (played at Georgia) has worked out pretty well as a full time OLB.

Macho Harris has good size, great ball skills, is physical, and can return kicks (added value) and even played some offense in college. His long speed is a concern but he ran a 4.46 at his pro day which is good enough for me. Im an FSU die hard so Ive seen him play countless times and he is a football player. He's as good as either brandon flowers or alphonso smith imo, but he does take alot of risks, which will have to be corrected.

I think Ayers would be overkill. We'd have to take him in the 1st or 2nd round. And weve got Merling and Langford as starters, Starks and Moses as back ups, and we traded for McDaniel last week, so DE is socked pretty well.

D Butler? Ive read the reports and seen the stats/highlights but I havent seen him play to be honest. What do you like about him?

Coffee and Tate would both be great pick ups for a couple years down the road after Wilford and Ricky are gone. Brinkley is a monster vs the run. Knighton can be groomed to replace Ferguson. Smith gets no love even though he played just as well as Mickens did at Cincinati.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:08 AM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

1st off. There's ios zero chance of DeAngelo Smith dropping to the 7th. None at all. He is being looked at in round 3 by some teams and should be gone by the 5th at the latest.

I wouldn't take Barwin before our 2nd 2nd rounder and I wouldnt take Harris earlier then the 3rd.

Nicks, Knighton and Tate are the only good picks and the chances of Knighton and Tate being around that late are slim as well.

Unrealistic and very dissappointing draft for us.

Brinkley, Harris and Coffee are all horrible picks for us. Horrible.
JoeyJr09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:30 AM    (permalink
starwitness
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
1st off. There's ios zero chance of DeAngelo Smith dropping to the 7th. None at all. He is being looked at in round 3 by some teams and should be gone by the 5th at the latest.

I wouldn't take Barwin before our 2nd 2nd rounder and I wouldnt take Harris earlier then the 3rd.

Nicks, Knighton and Tate are the only good picks and the chances of Knighton and Tate being around that late are slim as well.

Dont be so negative. You sound depressed lol. And the adjectives are nice, but some facts/info would make it sound like you knew what u were talkin about...
Old 04-01-2009, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Nic Harris could make a great OLB in passing situations. He played saftey in college so he shouldnt have a problem in coverage and with some seasoning he should be able to bring pressure off the edge as well. Thomas Davis, the OLB from the Panthers (played at Georgia) has worked out pretty well as a full time OLB.

Macho Harris has good size, great ball skills, is physical, and can return kicks (added value) and even played some offense in college. His long speed is a concern but he ran a 4.46 at his pro day which is good enough for me. Im an FSU die hard so Ive seen him play countless times and he is a football player. He's as good as either brandon flowers or alphonso smith imo, but he does take alot of risks, which will have to be corrected.

I think Ayers would be overkill. We'd have to take him in the 1st or 2nd round. And weve got Merling and Langford as starters, Starks and Moses as back ups, and we traded for McDaniel last week, so DE is socked pretty well.

D Butler? Ive read the reports and seen the stats/highlights but I havent seen him play to be honest. What do you like about him?

Coffee and Tate would both be great pick ups for a couple years down the road after Wilford and Ricky are gone. Brinkley is a monster vs the run. Knighton can be groomed to replace Ferguson. Smith gets no love even though he played just as well as Mickens did at Cincinati.
Disagree on both Harris's. Nic is a guy who would probably make a better 4-3 LB vs a 3-4 guy. Much how you compare him t Thomas Davis who is also a 4-3 guy. As for Macho, I watched him and always thought Flowers was the better player. I think he can be a nice zone CB in a Tampa-2 style D, but not in the Miami system right now where there should a lot of man coverage.

I see Ayers as a 3-4 OLB which is why I don't think it is overkill. I think he can be a really good pass rusher from the OLB spot with his size..
Butler is a very quick-hip style CB who can really move and I think offers much better man coverage ability than Harris.

Agree about Tate though I do think he ends up going earlier in the draft than the 7th rd.

At the end of the day, I honestly predict Ron Brace is the pick at #25 despite the fact that it is a reach. I hope it is not the case and that they go best available player (at any position)
Old 04-01-2009, 10:50 AM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJr09 View Post

I agree with everything here except for Brinkley. I think he would be a tremendous fit for our defense. I got kind of down on him after the injury, but he came back and played well, then showed up to the combine and looked in great shape and ran a great 40 time. He is a guy that I really hope we target in the mid rounds if we miss out on Maualuga in the first. Maualuga and Brinkley are the only true ILB prospects in the draft for the 3-4 IMO.

Dolphins Dream Offseason 2014: Re-Sign Paul Soliai and Brent Grimes. Sign Brandon Albert, Sam Shields & Rashad Jennings. The Draft: 1. Kelvin Benjamin 2. Xavier Su'a-Filo 3. Seantrel Henderson 4. Xavier Grimble 5. Dion Bailey 6. Jalen Saunders 7. Nevin Lawson
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:21 PM    (permalink
starwitness
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Disagree on both Harris's. Nic is a guy who would probably make a better 4-3 LB vs a 3-4 guy. Much how you compare him t Thomas Davis who is also a 4-3 guy. As for Macho, I watched him and always thought Flowers was the better player. I think he can be a nice zone CB in a Tampa-2 style D, but not in the Miami system right now where there should a lot of man coverage.

I see Ayers as a 3-4 OLB which is why I don't think it is overkill. I think he can be a really good pass rusher from the OLB spot with his size..
Butler is a very quick-hip style CB who can really move and I think offers much better man coverage ability than Harris.

Agree about Tate though I do think he ends up going earlier in the draft than the 7th rd.

At the end of the day, I honestly predict Ron Brace is the pick at #25 despite the fact that it is a reach. I hope it is not the case and that they go best available player (at any position)
I agree on N Harris, which is why I qualified it with "passing downs". He wont start, but he can be a special teams guy, and rush the passer/cover backs & TE's in the nickel and dime packages. I would love it if we snatched him up because of the versatility he'd bring.

Ayers is 6-3 272. He is NOT playing OLB. He's too big, and it'd take years to teach him the position. You dont spend a 1st rounder on a (non QB) guy who cant contribute right away.

I love Flowers, but he's not a better pro prospect than Macho Harris.
Flowers is 5-9 187, Macho is 5-11 195-200. Flowers ran in the 4.5's, Macho ran a 4.46 at his pro day. Both are good tacklers, but I'd give a slight edge to Flowers. Macho has better ball skills, he's a natural playmaker, he played some WR at VTech, and he can return kicks, which could save a roster spot. Everyone has thier preferences, but I'd rather have Harris. Flowers was picked at 35, Harris should be available at 56, so he'll be a better value as well. As for not fitting Miami's system, I think he's an upgrade over Goodman, Eric Green, Jason Allen, Nate Jones, Joey Thomas, etc. At the very least he can be a nickel guy and KR. As a rookie.

I wont speak on Butler cuz he's a Big Easy conference product, and I havent seen any of his games. Neither has anyone else apparently.

I would cry if we took Ron Brace at 25. He isnt THAT much better than Solai or the guys we could grab in the 3rd round. Vontae Davis, Pettigrew, Nicks, Barwin, Sean Smith, Alphonso Smith, Larry English would all be better picks IMO. And I was salivating (no ****) over Brinkley, he was a beast for Carolina and thier defense fell apart after he got hurt. He's not a third down guy, but he's a hell of a run stuffer/depth chart filler, wedgebuster who can be a contributor right away.

Tate & Smith are hail mary guys, I doubt we can land them in the 7th, but its worth hoping for. Too bad that grumpy dude is trying to crush my dreams lol.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
I agree on N Harris, which is why I qualified it with "passing downs". He wont start, but he can be a special teams guy, and rush the passer/cover backs & TE's in the nickel and dime packages. I would love it if we snatched him up because of the versatility he'd bring.

Ayers is 6-3 272. He is NOT playing OLB. He's too big, and it'd take years to teach him the position. You dont spend a 1st rounder on a (non QB) guy who cant contribute right away.

I love Flowers, but he's not a better pro prospect than Macho Harris.
Flowers is 5-9 187, Macho is 5-11 195-200. Flowers ran in the 4.5's, Macho ran a 4.46 at his pro day. Both are good tacklers, but I'd give a slight edge to Flowers. Macho has better ball skills, he's a natural playmaker, he played some WR at VTech, and he can return kicks, which could save a roster spot. Everyone has thier preferences, but I'd rather have Harris. Flowers was picked at 35, Harris should be available at 56, so he'll be a better value as well. As for not fitting Miami's system, I think he's an upgrade over Goodman, Eric Green, Jason Allen, Nate Jones, Joey Thomas, etc. At the very least he can be a nickel guy and KR. As a rookie.

I wont speak on Butler cuz he's a Big Easy conference product, and I havent seen any of his games. Neither has anyone else apparently.

I would cry if we took Ron Brace at 25. He isnt THAT much better than Solai or the guys we could grab in the 3rd round. Vontae Davis, Pettigrew, Nicks, Barwin, Sean Smith, Alphonso Smith, Larry English would all be better picks IMO. And I was salivating (no ****) over Brinkley, he was a beast for Carolina and thier defense fell apart after he got hurt. He's not a third down guy, but he's a hell of a run stuffer/depth chart filler, wedgebuster who can be a contributor right away.

Tate & Smith are hail mary guys, I doubt we can land them in the 7th, but its worth hoping for. Too bad that grumpy dude is trying to crush my dreams lol.
One thing that hurts your argument on Ayers is that he can rush the passer. That trumps alot of things. Also, if a player is going to end up being too big or too small for a position, this regime tends to lean towards big..
I live in the Northeast and have seen a lot of Butler and lot of big east teams. (Thus, my hope for LeSean McCoy) Butler has legit NFL tools and is a very aggressive defender. Add that along with Sparano's CT roots and I think it is a real possibility..

I do not want Brace at 25. I just think that if the board blows up and there is no one else that fits their profile, I think they lean to the lines and go big. Brace at the end of rd 2 would be a different story for me (that is where I think he should go)... I really want best player available and I don't care what position that is. If it means RB, TE or even OL, I want them to take good players and get better. If it fills a need, even better....
Old 04-01-2009, 03:04 PM    (permalink
starwitness
Rookie

I agree on Brace, and Im leaning towards Butler, but his level of competition worries me.

As for Ayers, we'd have to take him at 25 to get him. And I'd rather have Brace, as you suggested. OLB in a 3-4 is not an easy position to learn, so forget about him starting right away. Also, at his size, (and considering we have Porter, Wake, and Anderson) he would probably have to play strong side, meaning he wouldnt get many chances to rush the QB in our system anyway. He'd be setting the edge, chasing WRs and droppin into zones, not sacking the QB. Maybe he could play WLB in passing situations, but do you want to spend a 1st round pick on a project player who can only play in certain situations and is not a special teams guy?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
I agree on Brace, and Im leaning towards Butler, but his level of competition worries me.

As for Ayers, we'd have to take him at 25 to get him. And I'd rather have Brace, as you suggested. OLB in a 3-4 is not an easy position to learn, so forget about him starting right away. Also, at his size, (and considering we have Porter, Wake, and Anderson) he would probably have to play strong side, meaning he wouldnt get many chances to rush the QB in our system anyway. He'd be setting the edge, chasing WRs and droppin into zones, not sacking the QB. Maybe he could play WLB in passing situations, but do you want to spend a 1st round pick on a project player who can only play in certain situations and is not a special teams guy?
Why would you say he is not a special teams guy? I could easily see him being a guy who comes in and plays 15-20 plays a game to rest others and plays special teams as a rookie. You make a point about him setting the edge, but I would not want to see a 270 pound LB about to hit me if was a WR coming across.. Plus, I would think that if they did get him, my guess is they would probably have him drop a few pounds and play in the 260's to add a little more quickness. This is a guy who destroyed Andre Smith when they played last yr. He has a lot of ability. I would definitely take him over Brace if there are no other options....
Old 04-01-2009, 06:03 PM    (permalink
starwitness
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Why would you say he is not a special teams guy? I could easily see him being a guy who comes in and plays 15-20 plays a game to rest others and plays special teams as a rookie. You make a point about him setting the edge, but I would not want to see a 270 pound LB about to hit me if was a WR coming across.. Plus, I would think that if they did get him, my guess is they would probably have him drop a few pounds and play in the 260's to add a little more quickness. This is a guy who destroyed Andre Smith when they played last yr. He has a lot of ability. I would definitely take him over Brace if there are no other options....
Im not arguing that Brace is a better player. Im arguing that he doesnt fit what the dolphins need as well as Brace does. Right now we have only one dependable NT, who is 34 yrs old I believe. On the other hand we have at least 3, if not 4 or decent quality DE's to rotate, ALL of whom are young.

We already have a bulky DE turned OLB to play strong side in Roth. And dont forget Roth played DE at Iowa and it took him 2 yrs to learn the OLB spot. Dont expect Ayers to learn it any faster. Roth isnt a good pass rusher/cover man, but we can get a specialist to fill that role on 3rd downs and other obvious passing situations. But there is no need for another Roth type player, especially no need to spend a #1 pick on one. If we do take an OLB, it'll be a speedier, Connor Barwin type that can move in space.

On the other hand, if Ferguson goes down, were down to Solia at NT, and we have a serious problem. Brace, or another backup NT is a must, not only for insurance but as a permanent replacement since Ferg is 34. I just plain disagree that Ayers is a better fit for us, its not even close IMO.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Im not arguing that Brace is a better player. Im arguing that he doesnt fit what the dolphins need as well as Brace does. Right now we have only one dependable NT, who is 34 yrs old I believe. On the other hand we have at least 3, if not 4 or decent quality DE's to rotate, ALL of whom are young.

We already have a bulky DE turned OLB to play strong side in Roth. And dont forget Roth played DE at Iowa and it took him 2 yrs to learn the OLB spot. Dont expect Ayers to learn it any faster. Roth isnt a good pass rusher/cover man, but we can get a specialist to fill that role on 3rd downs and other obvious passing situations. But there is no need for another Roth type player, especially no need to spend a #1 pick on one. If we do take an OLB, it'll be a speedier, Connor Barwin type that can move in space.

On the other hand, if Ferguson goes down, were down to Solia at NT, and we have a serious problem. Brace, or another backup NT is a must, not only for insurance but as a permanent replacement since Ferg is 34. I just plain disagree that Ayers is a better fit for us, its not even close IMO.
The problem when you reach for a guy to fill a need is that you often pay for it.. Last yr, the reason they took Shawn Murphy in the 4th rd was because they saw a bunch of G's go off the board in the 3rd and 4th rds and they did not want to chance waiting until rd 6 to pick one. Well, Murphy turned out to be the worst choice they made in an otherwise very good draft. If its close, I can understand a team going for need, but otherwise, stick to the best player available.

Also, Barwin is just as much a projection as Ayers, if not more so...

Of course, there are rumors that V. Davis tested positive which could hurt his stock. Not that these guys like taking chances on problem cases, but he would be a perfect fit if the off the field stuff can be contained.......
Old 04-06-2009, 10:49 AM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Dont be so negative. You sound depressed lol. And the adjectives are nice, but some facts/info would make it sound like you knew what u were talkin about...
Don't be a prick.

Show some class.

Anyways, dream draft here: (this is best case assuming there's some slippage of certain guys)

Trade Down out of the 1st for a very early 2nd and get an extra early 3rd:

2a: Larry English, OLB, Northern Illinois
2b: Sean Smith, CB, Utah
2c: Ron Brace, NT, Boston College
3a: Ramses Barden, WR, Cal Poly
3b: Cornelius Ingram, TE, Florida
4: Jasper Brinkley, ILB, South Carolina
5: Garrett Reynolds, OT, North Carolina
6: Joe Burnett, CB/KR, UCF
7a: Aaron Kelly, WR, Clemson
7b: Brandon Walker, OG, Oklahoma
JoeyJr09 is offline   Reply With Quote