Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 04-25-2007, 03:04 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
And they only paid 8th place $120? Or was it $180 for 8th, and you made $120 profit? That sounds like a pretty weak payout if it's only $120 total.
10-9 made their buy in back

8-6 made 120

5 made 180

4 made 300

3 made 450

2 made 600

1 made 850

Small time weekly tournament
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:12 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a bad layout, I guess. To me, getting your money back is just ridiculous. No one wants to sit there for hours only to make a net of $0. Pay 5th-8th more money and up the amount. I hate when they try to let as many people as possible cash...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:56 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Not a bad layout, I guess. To me, getting your money back is just ridiculous. No one wants to sit there for hours only to make a net of $0. Pay 5th-8th more money and up the amount. I hate when they try to let as many people as possible cash...
I agree in some tournaments it just isnt necessary to pay the whole final table.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
RyanLeaf#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:58 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For multitable tournaments, I believe you should generally pay the top 10%. In my home game tournaments, we have 3 tables (27), and we pay the top 4. However, the top 2 spots get 75% of the prize pool. Obviously, that should be a little less as more people are paid.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 05-07-2007, 09:32 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

Friday me and my boy went to the Taj. We played 1-2 from 9-midnight. Then at midnight we played the midnight tournament. We started with 12,000 chips after the first break I was down to 9,000 pretty much because of the blinds going up every 12 minutes. But the good thing about the midnight tournament their are no antes. But anyways after the break the blinds are 300-600 and im the big blind. I look down at 4-5 off. There are 3 callers the flop comes 4-5-8 with 2 clubs. With 1800 in the pot and being first to act with 2 pair I immediately push. The next guy calls me right away and the other guy folds. He turns over A-9 of clubs. The turn is a 8. So now I only have 5's and 8's. The river is an ACE... He counterfeited me I was so sick. No club, but a terrible counterfeit.

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 06-15-2007, 11:46 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

WSOP is well underway. 55 events or so this year. Helmouth has already won his 11th bracelet. Looks like Michael Binger (3rd place in the 2006 ME) has been doing very well, cashing in 5 of 9 events with 3 final tables. Fields are not as big as last year, but they're still getting 2500+ for most NLHE events.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:47 AM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hellmuth is legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:48 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Very astute observation. His record 59 WSOP cashes and 11 bracelets are also evidence to that effect.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:51 AM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

he is full of himself though. I don't blame him, he gets some bad beats often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:53 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

In terms of televised hands, Helmouth rarely makes bad mistakes and usually has his money in with the best of it. He is a very shrewd and smart player. Yes, he is a bit of a brat, but he is an excellent and consistent player.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:53 AM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I forgot that we have this thread but I am glad someone beat me to the punch in posting that Phil Hellmuth Jr has won his record 11th bracelet. This now places him alone at the top of the poker mountain as the person with the most bracelets. Also Allen Cunningham, a personal favorite of mine, has won his 5th bracelet in this year's World Series.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:58 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
I forgot that we have this thread but I am glad someone beat me to the punch in posting that Phil Hellmuth Jr has won his record 11th bracelet. This now places him alone at the top of the poker mountain as the person with the most bracelets. Also Allen Cunningham, a personal favorite of mine, has won his 5th bracelet in this year's World Series.
My best friend flew out to play in the event that Hellmuth won. Heres how he went out. They started out with 3000 chips btw. Blinds were 200-400 and a guy went all in first to act with 5500. My friend is 5th to act he has KK and pushes all in. They both have the same amount of chips. No one else is in the hand. The other guy flips over A 4 off suit. What a terrible play first to act. The flop comes 10 high. The turn is a 4. The river is a 4. Thats such a bad suck out.

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 06-15-2007, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I hate Hellmuth. He's one of, not the best but damnit I him and his ego.
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:01 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys, is it possible to set up an online game between NFLDC users?

Sig by Primetime21

Last edited by MaxV : 06-15-2007 at 01:03 PM.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think there is some way on Pokerstars.net
Old 06-15-2007, 02:10 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

It is hard to do, but not impossible. I think you have to set up a private room and password it. I would be down to try it, but I'm not willing to set it up.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

What even did Phil win his bracelet in?

Also, do you guys consider Tuan Le a good player?
Old 06-15-2007, 02:23 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreboy View Post
What even did Phil win his bracelet in?
No Limit Hold 'em

Quote:
Also, do you guys consider Tuan Le a good player?
Yes of course. Anybody who displays an ability to win consistently at the professional level is a very good player.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:05 PM    (permalink
simms2clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
I hate A-K, I never win with it, Anna Kournikova, looks good but never wins. Suited is even worse, its gotten to the point that I pretty much fold it if anyone bets a reasonable ammount.
Here is how I always play AK in cash games.

AK is just ace high and it is rare that you really improve on the flop with this hand. In early position, just play this hand very conservatively. Just limp with AK. If someone raises, give him the benfit of the doubt and don't reraise, just call.

In late position, play this hand aggressively, but if you get reraised, just call to see a flop, or fold if you are mid to short stacked.

Use the same strategy with pairs QQ and lower in early position.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:12 PM    (permalink
simms2clayton

Quote:
My friend and I were discussing who the best players in the world are.

All of poker i'd have to say Andy Bloch and Chip Reese

Texas Hold 'em it depends whether it's a cash game or tourney.

Tourney i'd say Phil Ivey and Daniel Negreanu.

Cash games i'd say Chip Reese and Todd Brunson and no one is even close to them.

Opinions?
Brian Townsend, aka sbrugby, is by far the best NLHE cash game player in the world imo. He owns online and he has done very well recently in Vegas in live games. He won 600k off of Sammy Farha playing HU, and 1.25m more playing 3 handed again Johnny Chan and Farha (I think Farha, but could be wrong on the 3 handed game).

The thing that ticked me off when I read his blog is that he didn't even tip the dealer when we won that 1.25m. Not a dime. I would have throws a 2k bone.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:17 PM    (permalink
simms2clayton

Quote:
My rule with rockets is that when I limp with them and don't hit a piece, I will often release them against a scary board or if I make a read. Of course, if I hit a huge chunk, I will immediately play them for value. My main rule is that after second preflop position (#4 overall), I will not limp with A's or K's. It's just dumb to get too cute with them. I'd rather take a small pot or play then heads up or against 2 other players than risk it.
I disagree. I see Paul Wasicka play AA very interestingly on High Stakes Poker.

He was under the gun (UTG, or to the left of the big blind) and limped. Limpers all around, about 6 ppl in the pot. The flop came (forgot what it was), and someone bet and he folded immediately.

The thing is, no sense in trying to make reads with AA since so much is out there with a lot of players in the hand. Just fold it and move on.

The thing about raising with AA and KK in early position is that you don't want to raise and get like 4 or 5 callers which sucks and then you are in bad position the rest of the hand. I usually raise big with AA or KK in early position or limp-raise. However, if I limp and say it folds around the the button, and he raises, and then the blinds fold, then I will just call to make myself look weak and slow play them.

I'll probably check the flop, and then he will make a continuation bet and then I'll make a raise there. Say he bets $15, then I'll raise to $40...so that is about what a 166% raise?
Old 06-15-2007, 08:18 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is no text book way to play any hand. Far too many variables involved on a hand to hand basis in this game. Generally, you want to raise with a premium hand such as AK. By pushing others out of the pot, you automatically increase your chances of winning from the get go. Also, it's easier to read others when they are reacting to your play, rather than vice versa. Don't let somebody with A-10 make that big raise and take the pot from you. You make the big raise and put him to the decision. Don't be nobody's puppet. You pull the strings. When people call a big raise pre-flop, you've already got a sense for what they've got. Trying to figure things out in an unraised pot is much tougher. But I'm just speaking in general terms. Like I said, there are far too many variables to come up with a specific play for any given hand.

Bottom line- If you're not winning consistently with hands like AK, you're not playing them correctly. If you're folding AK based off superstition, then I'd suggest not putting money on the table in the first place.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:23 PM    (permalink
simms2clayton

Quote:
man playing a little home game I have about a good size chip stack and people got knocked out early so we got to the final table pretty quickly.

I get Ad-Ah in middle position, blinds are $500-$1000 so I raise it to $4500 and I get 4 quick calls. Flop comes Kd-3c-8d. I bet $5000, guy behind me calls quick and everyone else folds. turn is a Jd. I bet $15,000 he calls. Now I have Ad-Ah with 4 to a flush so when the river is a 4s I am a little dissapointed because I wanted a diamond but I figure I still have the best hand and bet $20,000. Guy just goes all in for like $3,000 more and I don't hesitate I call. He turns over K-3 giving him 2 pair. How he called my raise to begin with threw me off.

I had about 16K left and I worked my way back up to over 100K but caught no cards after that. Finally blinds got up to 10K and 20K and I had 24K left so I had to go all in with 4-6 off suit.

if it wasn't a home game i'd have been pissed.
That is brutal that he didn't raise you on the flop and you could have put him possibly on two pair or a set. Calling really fast usually means a flush draw or top pair. or an open ended strt draw.

Brutal beat, good raise preflop, but I would have checked the turn when the diamond came out and just flat call the river.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:26 PM    (permalink
simms2clayton

Quote:
Me too. I think the last payout should be 2x the buy in and it should pay out the top 10%.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:01 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am seriously going to kill someone. I lost 45 bucks today in a home game. I lost 35 of it in 10 minutes to the same guy, both times he had pocket kings.

I am on the coldest streak I have ever seen. The past 3 times I have played, I have had 7 pocket pairs, 3 of them lower than 5. These times I have played have been for 5-7 hours each. It is absolutely horrible.

8 out of every 10 times I have had all or most of my money in, I have been ahead. Yet I have gotten sucked out on just about every time. Even my buddies I play with are saying it is like a single rain cloud is following me around.