Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 03-06-2007, 10:24 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.
Default Trade for #3 overall?

I know its been rumored, but nothing more and no article to prove it.

But would you consider this trade?

Browns send:
3rd overall pick

Vikings send:
7th overall pick, 3rd RD pick and 5th RD pick.

You then draft Calvin Johnson, or whoever else you please.

good or not?
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:26 PM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we're only having to give up an additional third and 5th, I would most definitely trade up...Not even a second thought in my mind.

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:28 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

This is why I say it.....

"Willis, according to John Clayton, can be had for a third rd. selecton. The Bills have brought in Dominic Rhodes and Chris Brown, plummeting willy's value. I'd make this trade in a heart beat. "

I would trade down to 7th pick, draft Brady Quinn, and then trade our extra third for McGahee.

Raiders = Russell
Lions = Thomas
Vikings = Johnson
Tampabay = not Quinn, they have Garcia/Simms
Arizona = not Quinn, they have Lienart
Washington = not Quinn, they have Jason Campbell
Browns = Brad Quinn

Last edited by JoeMontainya : 03-06-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, I would do that... if I could be assured that OAK or CLE wouldn't take CJ. If they do, we're stuck with our thumbs up our bee-hinds. Just wait for Severe to come in here and rant on about how we are all fools who are just obsessed with Calvin Johnson's man juice, and how we'd be throwing away our future.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:40 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

You would obviously wait until draft to do this trade. Once CJ is still there at #3, then the trade would become done.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:42 PM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know, it's the same old argument time after time. What he seemingly doesn't realize, is that you can have the most talented QB in the world fail, if he doesn't have any weapons around him to get the ball to. If Brady Quinn would've had our offense to work with last year, he would've posted just as bad of numbers as both BJ and TJ did.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:45 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I seriously would not want to pass on him. He could make even Tarvaris look better. This has 0 chance of happening, but I can still dream...
Old 03-06-2007, 10:49 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

It has a real chance at happening, Savage said he might want to trade down, and the only possible spot in many's opinions is the Vikings pick. You are also the only team in the top 7 that wants to move up if the price is right. We cant trade any farther than #7 because at #8 the Texans might look at Quinn.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:52 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

I sure hope so. We would still have our 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 7th left. It hurts me to think about it, though.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:58 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It' s not going to matter Carolina dumped their backup (Weinke) a move that indicates they're ready to trade up and take that next step towards a S.B.

...while Viking fans will clamour at Nicks sports world for the "sneek peek" at a Viking Jersey with Calvin Johnson on the back.

Yep, that's what we'd be most concerned with..making Browns fans happy....just out of curiousity why don't Viking fans want to trade their 3rd round pick for McGahee ?? seeing as most fans are unhappy with Chester Taylor and think that other teams "throwaways" can never be productive.
I'm curious as to why we'd be interested in making a deal that clearly benefits Cleveland more so than the Vikes.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:58 PM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
I sure hope so. We would still have our 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 7th left. It hurts me to think about it, though.
Yeah, let's not get our hopes up, although it is kind of fun to think about.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardvikingsfan View Post
I know, it's the same old argument time after time. What he seemingly doesn't realize, is that you can have the most talented QB in the world fail, if he doesn't have any weapons around him to get the ball to. If Brady Quinn would've had our offense to work with last year, he would've posted just as bad of numbers as both BJ and TJ did.
Tom Brady had who again ? A broken down Dillon (Taylor was 1000 times better) and Reche Caldwell / Troy Brown and who ? (Chad Jackson played very few games) Daniel Graham was hurt and Ben Watson was inconsistent
at best....yep...you sure need that "WR TALENT" to succeed.
And Brady Quinn DID have the same type of talent last year at ND and put up what for #'s again ?

Yeah, he'd be "wasted" here.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:01 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

The Vikings have no WR that can make a QB better. And where you draft you still wont have one. CJ might be the best WR prospect ever and the fact that you would be able to draft him should tell you, you are benefieting from the trade. To say your not is crazy.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:10 PM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
Tom Brady had who again ? A broken down Dillon (Taylor was 1000 times better) and Reche Caldwell / Troy Brown and who ? (Chad Jackson played very few games) Daniel Graham was hurt and Ben Watson was inconsistent
And Brady Quinn DID have the same type of talent last year at ND and put up what for #'s again ?

Haha, same type of talent. You, sir are a joke. I don't exactly consider John Carlson, Darius Walker and Shark to be nothing. Also, you bring up the same team, same example up over and over again...It's getting real old. Belichek realizes that what Brady had last year was simply not up to par, hence the reasoning that they are going heavily after WRs during the offseason here (or did you miss that). Also, you're comparing Brady Quinn, a guy who has not taken one snap at the pro level, to someone who is a lock for the hall of fame already...Sucks to have that ol' comparison argument brought up back on ya don't it? BTW, who is Laurence Maroney? I mean, the Pats did have a 2 back system that worked pretty well last year, right?

Old 03-06-2007, 11:41 PM    (permalink
jerthemessiah
Rookie

jerthemessiah hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardvikingsfan View Post
Haha, same type of talent. You, sir are a joke. I don't exactly consider John Carlson, Darius Walker and Shark to be nothing. Also, you bring up the same team, same example up over and over again...It's getting real old. Belichek realizes that what Brady had last year was simply not up to par, hence the reasoning that they are going heavily after WRs during the offseason here (or did you miss that). Also, you're comparing Brady Quinn, a guy who has not taken one snap at the pro level, to someone who is a lock for the hall of fame already...Sucks to have that ol' comparison argument brought up back on ya don't it? BTW, who is Laurence Maroney? I mean, the Pats did have a 2 back system that worked pretty well last year, right?
They also have a a great o-line and a HC that isn't a moron.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:07 AM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

swagger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

Yah, and they lost in the playoffs because of it. Did you watch the game or are you just talking out of your behind?

To a team with a plethora of offensive weapons.

Notice how the Patriots are making a huge effort to bring Brady some targets. Signed Wes Welker to an inflated contract and traded a 2nd and 7th round draft pick, had Stallworth in for a visit, and are rumored to be interested in Moss.

Yep, Tom Brady doesn't need offensive weapons. Just ask Bill Belichick.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007

Last edited by swagger : 03-07-2007 at 12:10 AM.
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:09 AM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
Not to nitpick, but we traded our 7th rounder and CJ Mosley for Brooks Bollinger. So, if we did this deal and traded 1st, 3rd and 5th for Calvin Johnson, we would still have our: 2nd, 4th and 6th in addition to CJ.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 03-07-2007, 12:18 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

hahahaha...ya'll vastly over rate the Reche Caldwell's and ND O-Line ...not to mention the whole point of Tom Brady is WHAT HE DID with that low tier talent....they were 2 plays from another trip to the S.B.

Quinn is more like Brady than Jackson or Bollinger resemble an NFL QB.
That's just a sad fact.

and finding a WR is much simpler and easier in the draft or through F/A than a QB will ever be.

This team needs a QB for the future....Jackson and Bollinger are NOT it.
The only thing on here "getting old" is this Minnesotan sports mentality that losers are satsifactory.....Kevin Garnett is the pinacle of this belief.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:22 AM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

Quote:
hahahaha...ya'll vastly over rate the Reche Caldwell's and ND O-Line ...not to mention the whole point of Tom Brady is WHAT HE DID with that low tier talent....they were 2 plays from another trip to the S.B.
Who cares what Tom Brady did with that lower-tier talent?? He is maybe the best quarterback in NFL history. How does a Viking QB pertain to what Tom Brady does on the field?

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid argument.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 03-07-2007, 12:25 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote]They also have a a great o-line and a HC that isn't a moron.[quote]

Thats the major difference. Its great to have a full O-Line that blocks rather than relying on a LG and C to block for 5 guys like the Vikings do and seem to be quite content to continue doing next year.

This would be a good trade, I dont like giving up 3 picks for one, Im a big believer that good scouting will produce starters from lower round picks, but we need some offense and it would still leave 3 picks to fix the O-Line.

I dont think we can lose at 7. If CJ were to fall, score. If not it figures that one of Brady and Peterson should be there, if not someone like Joe Thomas is a very outside chance. Those are the 3 guys we should be looking at if we arent trading up for CJ.

Personally if we dont trade I'd like to get either Landry, Quinn, Peterson and then hope that Levy falls to our 2nd round pick or possibly Blalock. I dont mind Stanton in the 3rd if we dont take Quinn, we certainly need a backup and Stanton is a similar player to TJ, meaning we can build a system that suits both at the same time instead of having to remove a whole lot of plays should TJ get hurt or fail.

Definitely OLine and WR is our biggest weakness, the big problem is that the only guys that give value at 7 at those positions are likely to be gone in the first 4 picks(Thomas and CJ) and the next guys worth taking are in the 15-20 range. Personally I think we should either take Brady Quinn or trade up for CJ or down for an O-Lineman.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:30 AM    (permalink
jerthemessiah
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Who cares what Tom Brady did with that lower-tier talent?? He is maybe the best quarterback in NFL history. How does a Viking QB pertain to what Tom Brady does on the field?

You need to understand that in his mind Brady Quinn=Tom Brady even though Quinn has yet to wear an NFL uniform.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First off i would make the Deal if that was the deal our 1st, 3rd, and 5th but most liekly savage wouldnt be asking such a low price.

Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment
The only thing on here "getting old" is this Minnesotan sports mentality that losers are satsifactory.....Kevin Garnett is the pinacle of this belief.
I understand you are caught up in your dislike of T-Jack but Thats just uncalled for, why do have to bring the hate onto KG too. KG is the only thing good left in this generation of Sports he's a true Superstar, a great guy, and a class act. Minnesota is truely lucky to have such a guy represent them its not his fault Kevin Mchale is an incompitent fool that cannot Provide the vital amount of talent around him that the T-wolves need(although Foye looks promising), basketball is a superstar sport but all superstars need some kind of support to suceed no one can do it all by themselves... I applaud KG for his comitment to the t-wolves, and that comitment is the reason why he is and will be my absolute Favorite Player out of all sports. I dont get where you think that losing is satisfactory comes from garnett, in all reality if he leaves the wolves would be horrid we would have the worst record for years to come, just stick to your T-Jack hate but leave KG out of it.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:41 AM    (permalink
jerthemessiah
Rookie

Quote:
I was talking about the Pats o-line. They have 5 guys that can block. The Vikings have 2.5: Birk, Hutch and McKennie is shakey at times he's a half. Maybe 3/4.

Pats o-line > Vikes o-line
Pats running game > Vikes running game
Pats recievers > Vikes recievers
Pats coaching staff > Vikes coaching staff

Pats have a great defense too. It's not Tom Brady vs. The NFL.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:11 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

aaawwee did your arguement get ousted for the lame duck that it is ?
Tom Brady took a team of scrubs to the AFC Championship game.
Not saying the Defense and Troy brown didn't help, but no other QB that's ever donned a uniform could take that team and make them as successful as they did. They're signing F/A this year to replenish their current crop of aged stars...A.Thomas over Banta Cain , Samuel was resigned and Donte Stallworth and Moss are rumored to be going there because Robert Kraft finally cracked open the wallet....if he didn't Brady would've taken another Patriot team lacking in premier talent to the playoffs, and probably to another Championship game...something no current Viking Qb can do.

Brady Quinn is very much like Brady in his poise, command of an offense, on the field leadership, timed throwing routes, strength of arms...and both were schooled under Charlie Weiss...so the relevance here between them is galaxy's more than you've ever shown for your support or logic in keeping Jackson other than "he's here and we like him because we traded up for him" gigantic overstatements as to why a guy with support that yeilds little more than that should be handed the starting gig.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:21 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post

I understand you are caught up in your dislike of T-Jack but Thats just uncalled for, why do have to bring the hate onto KG too. KG is the only thing good left in this generation of Sports he's a true Superstar, a great guy, and a class act. Minnesota is truely lucky to have such a guy represent them its not his fault Kevin Mchale is an incompitent fool that cannot Provide the vital amount of talent around him that the T-wolves need(although Foye looks promising), basketball is a superstar sport but all superstars need some kind of support to suceed no one can do it all by themselves... I applaud KG for his comitment to the t-wolves, and that comitment is the reason why he is and will be my absolute Favorite Player out of all sports. I dont get where you think that losing is satisfactory comes from garnett, in all reality if he leaves the wolves would be horrid we would have the worst record for years to come, just stick to your T-Jack hate but leave KG out of it.
I use Garnett because he's exactly what this state loves 1 guy to fall for (like a Puckett or a Moss) guys who are expected to do everything by themselves without so much as a sniff of help from the greedy gus's that run their teams. The Timberwolves are easily the worst orginization in sports...from their ineptitude at draft analysis or ability to coach and teach their draft picks into peforming is beyond riddiculous. McHale has Garnett to hang his hat on as far as successful players selected and groomed (the reason he was brought here) in what is it 11 years ? They've begun dumping on coaches as the scape goat...seriously, McHale's blundering makes Matt Millen, by comparison, look like Einstien's mental superior.
The fans don't even get upset because Garnett is actually good enough to make that rag tag bunch a playoff contender year in and yaer out...but when the season's over...so is the help KG has ever been given.
Same with Moss...during 99, 2000 and 2001 who did we sign or draft that was that help at LB and the secondary that would've put that team over the top ? WHo ? I agree in the Daunte pick and think it was a wise move ..but seriously owners of Minnesota sports franchises realized long ago that the fan base here really only cares about getting that 1 player so they can hang the franchises success on that 1 player. And right now the Vikes don't even have that !

It's turned into a culture of ignornace, as most Minnesotans are now so stubborn as to wanting that 1 player that they can't see the overall
picture of what it would actually take to make the team better.

and so we're clear I don't "hate" Jackson, I just don't think he has what's neccesary to be a QB that can make a difference for this team...just because he wears purple doesn't mean I have to don the rose colored glasses and make beleive he's something he's not.
I'd encourage everyone to do the same.