Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Washington Redskins Team Forum

Washington Redskins Team Forum Discuss the Skins

Old 12-31-2009, 12:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyskins View Post
Thanks for the input D-Unit,

From what ive heard the 3-4 defense is a better fit for stopping the best passing teams,especially in the afc.
Also,Shanny spent last training camp watching the steelers and pats defenses and had gone on record as saying he wanted a disciple of dick LeBeau,i.e. keith Butler(current steelers l.b. coach).

But this doesnt square up with Zimmer(he didnt get much love from cowboy fans on the extremeskins forum),but maybe Butler has been chosen by Cowher for his team and with Zimmer's contract up in stingy cincy,Shanny has targeted him instead.

The broncos have now changed to a 3-4 which is wierd.
The beauty of the 3-4 defense is that it disguises where the blitz is coming from. From a passing perspective, that makes it tougher on the QB. But you still need a good secondary to really stop the pass.

If you guys hire Shanny and turn your D into a 3-4 system, then I think the Lebeau zone blitz scheme is the easiest to transition to. Zimmer would be out of that question. Don Capers is a master DC of that defense, but he's with Green Bay in the same capacity. I don't see him moving unless he gets to be HC. ...and then you take him out of his best role as DC. That's why I think he failed in Texas. He's a DC through and through. Butler following Cowher sounds like a logical connection. So I don't know what disciple that leaves you with. The Pittsburgh DL coach is also Assistant HC... John Mitchell who is deeply in rooted there. 19 years. Doubt he's going anywhwere. Maybe Romeo Crennel would be an option, but he's a Parcells/Belichick guy.

Last edited by D-Unit : 12-31-2009 at 01:00 PM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:30 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
The beauty of the 3-4 defense is that it disguises where the blitz is coming from. From a passing perspective, that makes it tougher on the QB. But you still need a good secondary to really stop the pass.

If you guys hire Shanny and turn your D into a 3-4 system, then I think the Lebeau zone blitz scheme is the easiest to transition to. Zimmer would be out of that question. Don Capers is a master DC of that defense, but he's with Green Bay in the same capacity. I don't see him moving unless he gets to be HC. ...and then you take him out of his best role as DC. That's why I think he failed in Texas. He's a DC through and through. Butler following Cowher sounds like a logical connection. So I don't know what disciple that leaves you with. The Pittsburgh DL coach is also Assistant HC... John Mitchell who is deeply in rooted there. 19 years. Doubt he's going anywhwere. Maybe Romeo Crennel would be an option, but he's a Parcells/Belichick guy.
Butler would absolutely be first choice. If Cowher wants to run the defense on his new team than there's a chance that the Skins could pull Butler away with the opportunity to be fully in charge of the defense and he would probably get paid more not only from Snyder but with a bigger role/title.

The Ravens hybrid 3-4 defensive scheme is another that I think could be really intriguing for the Skins. Guys like Vic Fangio and Clarence Brooks are guys that could be ready to make the jump to coordinator. They have impressive resumes each and assuming Mattison isnt going anywhere soon they probably wont get that chance in Baltimore.

I actually really like the idea. I dont think our defensive unit is being used properly with Blache.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:47 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty View Post

The Ravens hybrid 3-4 defensive scheme is another that I think could be really intriguing for the Skins. Guys like Vic Fangio and Clarence Brooks are guys that could be ready to make the jump to coordinator. They have impressive resumes each and assuming Mattison isnt going anywhere soon they probably wont get that chance in Baltimore.

I actually really like the idea. I dont think our defensive unit is being used properly with Blache.
Do the Skins have the personell for a 3-4 as of now? Daniels is a HUGE DE in a 4-3 as it is, but would Haynesworth be a good NT? Whats I mean by that is would it be his "scheme"? Has Fletcher been in a 3-4? If Cowher did come and brought the 3-4 it would be intresting to see. H.B. played in a 3-4 in college if I remember correctly.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think a change to the 3-4 would do the Skins a service.

Get the offense right. Then you guys will be back in it. Shanny would be a good first step. His defenses have always been in question, so getting the right DC is going to be huge. Luckily, the D is your strength right now and it'd take a real moron to screw it up.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:21 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

haha wow how did smoot not catch that int???!? unbelievable.

and was that dhall with a great open field tackle on LT????
Old 01-03-2010, 05:27 PM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

love how kareem moore goes up high on the hit instead of taking out his legs which would of been much easier lol.

(on the osgood non-catch)

RIP, Sean Taylor.
critesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:29 PM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

come on malcolm!!!

RIP, Sean Taylor.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:59 PM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

randle el!? loooll

RIP, Sean Taylor.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:22 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

ha had to figure wed find a way to lose. i think we should jump KC now to the 4th pick. im not 100% but i think so. well find out soon enough i think. how long on zorn? tonight or tomorrow?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:24 PM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

im guessing it happens tonight but not released to the public til tomorrow.

RIP, Sean Taylor.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:41 PM    (permalink
treyskins
Rookie

treyskins is a cocksman.treyskins is a cocksman.treyskins is a cocksman.

Gonna miss these 4th quarter meltdowns.

NOT!

W'ed have more of a chance against other teams back-ups.They should do that more often,especially against the nfc east.

4TH spot looking good,
Okung,Clausen/Bradford or D.T. McCoy if no trade down.
treyskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:45 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Or possibly Berry too. But let's hope we address some other needs.

#2 Duke Blue Devils (10-0)
2010 National Champions!!
2014 Coaches vs Cancer Champions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 PM    (permalink
FloridaSkinzFan
Rookie

FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its imposible to have an accurate assumption of who the Redskins will draft with the 4th pick come April. Way too many things must happen first,

1.Whose the next coach? If shanahan, does he want his franchise qb (clausen/bradford)

2.Will Chris Samuel officially retire? (which he probably will, but will the new coach want OT?)

3.What happens with Jason Campbell? Does the new coach think they can win with Campbell for now and address other needs on the O-line?
FloridaSkinzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:16 AM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Happy trails to Jim Zorn.

#2 Duke Blue Devils (10-0)
2010 National Champions!!
2014 Coaches vs Cancer Champions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:14 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

Absolutely the right move firing Zorn. I liked the guy. I still do, not as a coach but as a person. Nonetheless he was in way over his head as head coach, offensive coordinator, and playcaller.

We are talking about a team that last year started 6-2 with a coach that NEVER made adjustments since that mark. He simply didn't know how. I've never seen a team come out after halftime having made less locker room adjustments than the Skins in the last two years. For the most part, the players on this team put it out there and played hard all year, sparing maybe a couple, but other than the Giants game we were in most games this year but the coaching staff could not find ways to win. I am hoping that whoever the new coach is revamps the rest of the staff as well. Blache and Buges, as much ties as they have to this organization, should be the next to go.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 AM    (permalink
2 Live Crew
Rookie

2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agree with you Dirty...I like Zorn but he had to go no doubt.

It's time to start fresh, a clean slate, get rid of the entire coaching staff and start it over...it's been long overdue for this franchise.

The only coach that I have any feelings for is Bugel because of his old ties with the team...but I think its time he moves on...he's getting up there. Blache and Danny Smith can't leave soon enough for me.
2 Live Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:23 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

"NFL Insider Adam Schefter giving word from his sources on Monday morning that Bill Cowher is now unlikely to return to coaching in 2010"

Does this make Butler available?????? :) although id be just as happy with zimmer

Last edited by DiG : 01-04-2010 at 12:41 PM.
DiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:34 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

Quote:
Absolutely the right move firing Zorn. I liked the guy. I still do, not as a coach but as a person. Nonetheless he was in way over his head as head coach, offensive coordinator, and playcaller.

We are talking about a team that last year started 6-2 with a coach that NEVER made adjustments since that mark. He simply didn't know how. I've never seen a team come out after halftime having made less locker room adjustments than the Skins in the last two years. For the most part, the players on this team put it out there and played hard all year, sparing maybe a couple, but other than the Giants game we were in most games this year but the coaching staff could not find ways to win. I am hoping that whoever the new coach is revamps the rest of the staff as well. Blache and Buges, as much ties as they have to this organization, should be the next to go.
I agree, I really liked Zorn as a person. Him and Jason handled Snyder pretty well IMO.

However, out with the old and in with the new.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 PM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

so pumped for the future of our team. with mike and kyle shanahan running the offense. and brucie at gm. and then i hope we get zimmer, cause he is just a monster with what he did with the bengals.

only problem i see with keeping campbell is that he will most likely have permanent happy feet in the pocket and thats when he is just brutal. i think he needs to sit down a couple years and get used to what a good o line is like.

RIP, Sean Taylor.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:44 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

Anyone see First Take this morning????

Skip Bayless is one of my new favorite sportscasters :) He said on ESPN this morning that he could see Shanny giving Colt a fair shot next year. Said he could definitely see Colt becoming a star in the nations capital next year.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:48 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

It's apparent now more than ever that there is NO way that both Portis and Campbell will be on the roster together next year. Have you guys been following these two?

Portis:
"No disrespect to Jason, but everybody in that locker room can tell you, you'll never see Jason mad, you'll never see Jason's tempo change, you'll never see Jason get mad.

He going to get up, dust himself off, he going to give you everything he got. But as a leader, you never heard -- it was always, 'Jason couldn't take control of the huddle,' or he didn't do this or he didn't do that. That wasn't Jason's character.

I think Jason, you can't place so much on somebody who's not ready for that situation. I think Jason has enough trouble in getting the plays in and worrying about this, compared to controlling the huddle and making sure, 'Oh, we do this and we do that.' But you go and vote Jason Campbell [as captain] -- you know Jason Campbell ain't go and tell the coach, 'Well, we need to do this or we need to do that,' or 'This is how the players want it.'"

Campbell:
"How is he going to say I'm not a leader?" Campbell said in a lengthy phone interview. "I mean, that's just not true. To me, that's somebody who shows that they don't know what a real leader is. A leader is not someone who leads by the wrong example. A leader is someone who is trying to do the right thing and trying to lead by example, and not just [being] about themselves. There's a reason guys get selected as captains, and there's a reason guys don't get selected as captains. Obviously, he doesn't have the respect of the locker room to be a captain. For someone to try to take a shot at me at the end of the season, after they haven't even been around, only speaks about their character anyways.

How's he [going to] question anything when for those four or five weeks before he was on IR [the season-ending injured-reserve list], he never even came around. He wasn't with us. He was never at practice. Who does he think was holding the offense together? He should go ask the coaches and the players if he wants to know. But he wasn't around to do that. He doesn't know anything about leadership."
Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 AM    (permalink
2 Live Crew
Rookie

2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha damn...didn't know about this Portis vs JC spat...Portis could be right but he's still an A-hole. He needs to go as well.
2 Live Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 AM    (permalink
Canadian_draft_fan
Veteran

Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:

Skip Bayless is one of my new favorite sportscasters :) He said on ESPN this morning that he could see Shanny giving Colt a fair shot next year. Said he could definitely see Colt becoming a star in the nations capital next year.
Is that just speculation by Bayless? No disrespect D30 but I don't take anything Bayless says seriously, mind you i don't get to see him much, but he doesn't impress me. I would find it no surprise that he is cut before TC.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

Music to my MF ears. I am torn about the Shanny hiring. There was a point that I really wanted him to be the Cowboys next HC. So I respect the guy and will fear him on your sidelines. I hate that. But, I think he could really love Colt and help take Colt to where he needs to be and I love that... :/ So torn.

Damn... I can't believe Colt has turned me into a mini-Redskins fan. Can't stand the Eagles and Giants, but I'm a Redskins fan when Dallas isn't playing you.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:58 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
It's apparent now more than ever that there is NO way that both Portis and Campbell will be on the roster together next year. Have you guys been following these two?

Portis:
"No disrespect to Jason, but everybody in that locker room can tell you, you'll never see Jason mad, you'll never see Jason's tempo change, you'll never see Jason get mad.

He going to get up, dust himself off, he going to give you everything he got. But as a leader, you never heard -- it was always, 'Jason couldn't take control of the huddle,' or he didn't do this or he didn't do that. That wasn't Jason's character.

I think Jason, you can't place so much on somebody who's not ready for that situation. I think Jason has enough trouble in getting the plays in and worrying about this, compared to controlling the huddle and making sure, 'Oh, we do this and we do that.' But you go and vote Jason Campbell [as captain] -- you know Jason Campbell ain't go and tell the coach, 'Well, we need to do this or we need to do that,' or 'This is how the players want it.'"

Campbell:
"How is he going to say I'm not a leader?" Campbell said in a lengthy phone interview. "I mean, that's just not true. To me, that's somebody who shows that they don't know what a real leader is. A leader is not someone who leads by the wrong example. A leader is someone who is trying to do the right thing and trying to lead by example, and not just [being] about themselves. There's a reason guys get selected as captains, and there's a reason guys don't get selected as captains. Obviously, he doesn't have the respect of the locker room to be a captain. For someone to try to take a shot at me at the end of the season, after they haven't even been around, only speaks about their character anyways.

How's he [going to] question anything when for those four or five weeks before he was on IR [the season-ending injured-reserve list], he never even came around. He wasn't with us. He was never at practice. Who does he think was holding the offense together? He should go ask the coaches and the players if he wants to know. But he wasn't around to do that. He doesn't know anything about leadership."
Who believes Portis? I DO!

Who believes Campbell? I DON'T!

The guy has the moxie of a dead fish. He was made captain to push him to be a leader, but he never fulfilled the role. Portis showed more heart than Campbell could ever dream of having. Campbell sucks. Every time he gets a new OC, it's back to square one with him. He's not good enough to keep around, to allow him to start from square one.