Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 05-03-2009, 03:52 PM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
I think Gore and Coffee will be more of a 1A and 1B RB combo instead of Gore being A and Coffee being B. Coffee seems to be a pretty complete back w/ running, recieving, and blocking skills. Wasnt Gore also a 3rd round pick for us a few years ago?

I think if we were just going to draft someone to spell Gore or have a change of pace back we would have went with one of the bigger RBs available.

This is all just speculation on my part.
Agreed.

That's why I get annoyed when people complain that we selected a back up Rb instead of taking a passrusher or OT.

If anything an OLB or OT would have been back ups. Coffee was selected to play this year. Had we waited until round 5 to get an RB to spell Gore, they prolly wouldn't have been good enough to crack the lineup this year.

I trust in McCloughan's ability to scout RBs. No one should doubt the man who selected Frank Gore!
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 PM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

What I like most about the Coffee pick is that I feel like he has a very high floor, so to speak. I think people are right when they say our running back situation is going to be more of a 1A-1B tandem, with Gore getting maybe 15-20 carries per game and Coffee getting 10-15, and I think that when you're picking a RB who you need to be that second guy right away, it's smart to get one who should, at the very least, be a solid pro if never a star.

And I'm not saying Coffee won't be a star-- I think he could be very, very good. But with his physical style and the way he just hits the holes fast, I think at worst we're looking at a solid young player.
stl9erfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:36 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just want to see Coffee run some fools over.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:00 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Besides Rodgers, how many wins did those guys get G.B.?

Steve Beuerlein was drafted by the Raiders in 87 (#110) over all.
Mark Brunell was a 5th and was eventually traded for a 3rd and a 5th.
Kurt Warner was released outright
Matt Hasselbeck was traded along with G.B.'s first (17th overall)
and seventh-round draft picks, to the Seahawks for their first (10th overall) and third-round draft picks.

Yeah, they struck gold, then put it in someone else's bank.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:27 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post

and seventh-round draft picks, to the Seahawks for their first (10th overall) and third-round draft picks.

Yes, CJ but if you get a return on your late round picks, what's the harm? Keep in mind that they were on the bench behind Favre.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:45 AM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:

The point was to take late round QBs. Not necessarily to let them go as GB did.
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:32 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl9erfan View Post
What I like most about the Coffee pick is that I feel like he has a very high floor, so to speak. I think people are right when they say our running back situation is going to be more of a 1A-1B tandem, with Gore getting maybe 15-20 carries per game and Coffee getting 10-15, and I think that when you're picking a RB who you need to be that second guy right away, it's smart to get one who should, at the very least, be a solid pro if never a star.

And I'm not saying Coffee won't be a star-- I think he could be very, very good. But with his physical style and the way he just hits the holes fast, I think at worst we're looking at a solid young player.
i hope you mean high ceiling...
Old 05-04-2009, 04:34 AM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

CJ, they probably would've gotten more value for them had they been QB'd by a non-Favre, mortal QB, who might have, you know, missed a game every now and again with an injury. Not only would those guys have been able to help the Packers maybe win a couple of games, but they probably also would've shown off their trade value a little bit more.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:35 AM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
i hope you mean high ceiling...
nope, i mean high floor. if a player's ceiling is the best he could possibly be and then by "floor" i mean worst case scenario. basically, i think at worst he's a solid nfl contributor. i.e., i don't think he'll bust.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:04 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Yes, CJ but if you get a return on your late round picks, what's the harm? Keep in mind that they were on the bench behind Favre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stl9erfan View Post
CJ, they probably would've gotten more value for them had they been QB'd by a non-Favre, mortal QB, who might have, you know, missed a game every now and again with an injury. Not only would those guys have been able to help the Packers maybe win a couple of games, but they probably also would've shown off their trade value a little bit more.
That was my point entirely. It's not as if they found a replacement to their starter.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:33 AM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That was my point entirely. It's not as if they found a replacement to their starter.
Well, if you have a starter that you're comfortable with, I don't know if anyone would be drafting to replace him. Would you?

No, the idea is to draft someone that could step in if your starter, god forbid, goes down. So through the years they hit on a number of solid quarterbacks, realized that Favre was going to play till he was 100, and saw the best value for their quarterbacks in trades.

So, your point is, the only time you should draft a quarterback is to replace your starter? I don't honestly believe that's what you mean, but that's what it sounds like. And if it's not, does that mean you can only draft a quarterback in the early rounds? Because you certainly scoffed at the idea of trying to 'strike gold' in the later rounds.

I guess i'm unsure where your stance is.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:32 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

I'm in no way saying that the only time you draft a QB is to replace the starter or that they didn't strike gold. They obviously did, and with Favre under center...well, if he had gotten hurt they probably would have just welded him back together. Given how good those other picks ended up being, I'm arguing that they didn't get full value on the trade in.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:43 AM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm arguing that they didn't get full value on the trade in.
Got it now. I'd agree, especially with Hasselbeck. But at least with trading those guys, they controlled where they went.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:57 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

I'll agree to some extent with that, despite Warner beating Green Bay in the play-offs in 02. Hind-site is always 20-20 though.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Who is ready for mini-camp photos?

Old 05-04-2009, 11:24 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good Alex Smith interview by Lowell Cohn:
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/cohn/2...lex-smith.html
Quote:
Smith: For me it's not blowing what this is out of proportion. It's playing quarterback. I'm going to do what I can to manage the game. I'm going to come out here every day and work my ass off. I'm going to bust my ass and I'm going to know this position better than anyone else. And when I'm out there when that guy's open I'm going to hit him. And when he's not then I'm going to get rid of the ball. I'm not going to sit here and dwell on completion percentage and QB rating and things like that which I did. I can tell you so much gets made out of freaking QB rating in this league. It's in your head. Like that freaking matters in the big picture. I'm here to try and put this team in a position to win and be accountable to my teammates. I haven't been accountable in two years now.
Quote:
Cohn: How good a quarterback are you now and do you have an idea of how good you can be?

Smith: I'm trying to raise the bar, trying to raise my own personal bar and at the same time trying to help the 49er team raise the bar and that bar is commitment, it is play, it is my potential and I'm trying to raise all that and trying to achieve it. I know what I want to get to, the player I want to become it definitely is in my head. It's a motivator. I know I can play in this league right now. I know I can be successful. I know I can be a great player. That is in my head, no question. It has to be.

Cohn: You used the adjective great. Is that where your horizon is?

Smith: Yes. Yes. No question. I think without a doubt, it's something I firmly believe. It's just a matter of time. I'm going to make it happen,
I hope he can carry this attitude onto the field.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Those new helmets make my so happy. I love the new uniforms.

Really hoping this guy can turn his short career around:

Same with this fool...

Old 05-04-2009, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

You know what it sounds like, as I read what Alex says? It sounds like he's growing up. It's crazy to think he's barely older than I am. I could never imagine all that pressure he had put on him since he was drafted.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:21 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

I actually miss the insignia on the side of the helmet. I guess it's going to have to grow on me.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
I actually miss the insignia on the side of the helmet. I guess it's going to have to grow on me.
the insignia is going to be there, they just dont bother with the stickers this early in the year

Old 05-04-2009, 12:48 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

What? No training camp "Stick" marks!

Old 05-04-2009, 01:30 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like all of that sounds like there is some fire there finally.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What? No training camp "Stick" marks!
I believe the rookies have them.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's why it was worth keeping him around. You could tell that he had a good skill set coming out of college, but from what I've seen, he lacks that "born leader" factor, and may not even be an "A Type" personality player. If guys don't see you as a leader, they don't play as hard; they don't make the extra effort.

I hope he can convince his teammates that he's a leader and will take charge in the huddle. which is something that Shaun Hill has on him right now. The team plays harder for Shaun cause they see him as more of a leader.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:10 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

He's definitely more mature now. I mean, he'll be 25 in three days, he was still just a kid trying to play a man's game. I really believe Shaun has earned the right to be the quarterback, but I aslo believe that Alex can be a pro bowl quarterback.