Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 05-22-2009, 08:51 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediggler3030 View Post
and will compete with Spencer (just off knee surgery) and Harris (has started I think only one game) for a starting job.
You dont think Brown has a chance? I'd like to think he's got to be the one that Bly is battling.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:53 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
...compete with Spencer (just off knee surgery) and Harris (has started I think only one game) for a starting job.
I think the "and Harris" part is supposed to read "and Brown", Brent.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:12 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
Yeah, my mistake.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:03 AM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
Haha yeah my bad. I would love to see Brown win the job. I think Barrows summed it up though, the Niners essentially have 2 nickle backs competing to start.
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:12 AM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
Harris would have been going into his 14th NFL season, not the kind of downgraded ability the team wanted to go against Boldin & Fitzgerald in man coverage. Harris was exposed too many times last yr. & every opponent offense knew it, so the 9ers started too many games in the hole. When Spencer went on IR it got a lot worse.
Bly is a much worse match against the bigger receivers than Harris. Harris didn't play bad last year either. He led the team in passes deafened. Has 15 interceptions in 3 years and is an excellent tackler (the reason he was a good option to cover Boldin). Bly was horrible. He was picked apart last year. He played much worse than Harris.

If Brown can win the position and play well I will be ecstatic, but that's a big if...
Old 05-23-2009, 10:51 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Bly was horrible. He was picked apart last year. He played much worse than Harris.
Yeah, but how much of that was a result of being targeted since Bailey was on the other side, in addition to one of the worst defenses (if not the worst) in the league?

Old 05-23-2009, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Fogcity_faithful
Rookie

Fogcity_faithful hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

liked the article about pascoe...really happy that we drafted him. i think that he has the potentail to develop well for us.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:39 AM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Yeah, but how much of that was a result of being targeted since Bailey was on the other side, in addition to one of the worst defenses (if not the worst) in the league?
I think Harris was targeted a lot as well. Replace Baily with Clements and I could see that statement being about the 49ers lol.

The Broncos mainly sucked because they couldn't stop the run. It wasn't a pass defense issue. The 49ers only had 4 more sacks than them.

Similar situation, but Harris played much better.

There is a reason Dre Bly signed for the vet. minimum :D
Old 05-23-2009, 11:42 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
I think Harris was targeted a lot as well. Replace Baily with Clements and I could see that statement being about the 49ers lol.

The Broncos mainly sucked because they couldn't stop the run. It wasn't a pass defense issue. The 49ers only had 4 more sacks than them.

Similar situation, but Harris played much better.
I never said it was a pass rush issue, but that the defense as a whole in Denver was about as bad as ours was in '04 and '05.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Denver's D was HORRIBLE. They were an offensive shootout in every game. That means Bly was getting thrown on all game long cause nobody wanted to look at Bailey.

The pass rush is key with how well the corners play. With the Niners having a more consistent pass rush this season, I'd rather have two more ball hawks out there that are PLAY MAKERS, than just defenders. Bly and Goldson give the Niners Play Makers in the secondary to compliment two physical players in Clements and Lewis. This should allow them to have a well-rounded secondary that will be better than having "Mr. No Pick" aka Roman back there, with balls bouncing off his hands and helmet.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:06 PM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

Quote:
I never said it was a pass rush issue, but that the defense as a whole in Denver was about as bad as ours was in '04 and '05.
Yeah my point was that it was mainly their horrible rush defense, and that Bly wasn't hung that far out to dry. And even when he was the situation was often similar for Harris, but he still played much better.

I just think Bly is a definite downgrade and until he proves himself a capable starter, Brown is too.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:38 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
I just think Bly is a definite downgrade and until he proves himself a capable starter, Brown is too.
Fair enough. I'll admit that while Harris never appeared to shut down WRs, he certainly had great seasons without it being obvious.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:52 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After looking back over the last page or so, the 49er O-line should be glad the spot-light is off of them for the time being LOL.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:09 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
After looking back over the last page or so, the 49er O-line should be glad the spot-light is off of them for the time being LOL.
I like the potential of our OL. Smith and Heitmann are solid veterans, Baas is underrated, Staley flashed some great potential in his first year starting at LT, and Rachal is a future All-Pro IMO. Of course the key word is potential, plus the line doesn't have a lot of continuity. I could see them struggling early on, but once they gel i think we'll be quite happy with the performance of our OL. A big plus is we no longer have George Warhop, his blocking schemes sucked and he refused to bench anyone who was underachieving.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:02 PM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
I like the potential of our OL. Smith and Heitmann are solid veterans, Baas is underrated, Staley flashed some great potential in his first year starting at LT, and Rachal is a future All-Pro IMO. Of course the key word is potential, plus the line doesn't have a lot of continuity. I could see them struggling early on, but once they gel i think we'll be quite happy with the performance of our OL. A big plus is we no longer have George Warhop, his blocking schemes sucked and he refused to bench anyone who was underachieving.
I agree, the Oline has the talent. They just need to play up to their potential and stay healthy.

Those are some definite if's, but I could see the line playing very well this year.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:35 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The major issue with the current O-Line is continuity. Aside from RT, the line is potentially set for years to come. Look at how inexperienced each player is at his current position. Sky's the limit based on what I saw from them the final half of last season.

LT - Joe Staley - 16 Starts
LG - Davis Baas - 13 Starts
C - Eric Heitmann - 82 Starts
LG - Chilo Rachal - 6 Starts
Old 05-24-2009, 06:57 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

If we have stability at RT, regardless of who it is, we'll have one heck of an o-line.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:41 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can you guys imagine if Alex Boone comes around? He has what many considered first round talent.

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 05-24-2009, 11:50 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
Can you guys imagine if Alex Boone comes around? He has what many considered first round talent.
Then he would be a huge steal in many ways. Hopefully Marvel can stay healthy then we will have a very good line.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:06 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

I think Boone's got a pretty good chance to make the final roster - practice squad would be a no brainer, but I'd think that another team may take him.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:36 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
I think Boone's got a pretty good chance to make the final roster - practice squad would be a no brainer, but I'd think that another team may take him.
That's undoubtedly going to be part of their thinking, but if they put him on the practice squad, he's obviously not good in enough in their eyes to be playing in games.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:36 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
That's undoubtedly going to be part of their thinking, but if they put him on the practice squad, he's obviously not good in enough in their eyes to be playing in games.
True. It's a make or break situation for him because of his unique situation of good talent level for UDFA combined with his off the field issues.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:11 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Or they want to hold on to him while he gets a handle on some of his personal issues.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:12 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
The major issue with the current O-Line is continuity. Aside from RT, the line is potentially set for years to come. Look at how inexperienced each player is at his current position. Sky's the limit based on what I saw from them the final half of last season.

LT - Joe Staley - 16 Starts
LG - Davis Baas - 13 Starts
C - Eric Heitmann - 82 Starts
LG - Chilo Rachal - 6 Starts
I'm really liking their o-line for the 1st time in a decade. Only Staley regressed last yr & got benched for what, 2 games? In past yrs. the whole starting front 5 regressed, & with Kwame Harris pass blocking the blind side at LT their QBs got slammed around like pinballs.

Heitmann was an UDFA they signed b/c he was local (Stanford) but had the size & versatility to play all 5 o-line spots to be a needed swingman, I believe he has done all 5 too, & now he's over the hill. He replaced Newberry at C & by that time the mileage had caught up to Newberry, his knees were held together with rubber bands & glue.

Now I think Heitmann is looking the worse for wear, time to work last yr's 4th rd. pick Cody Wallace into the center slot. Wallace is very fb-savvy & was offensive captain at Texas A&M, I think he will fit the bill once he learns NFL blocking schemes & that can only come with the reps & experience. Rachal is a younger, bigger, better Justin Smiley in the opposite G spot, a better pass protector than they had thought.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:17 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
I'm really liking their o-line for the 1st time in a decade. Only Staley regressed last yr & got benched for what, 2 games?
Huh? Staley started every game at left tackle last year and I wouldn't say he regressed from his rookie season. He got off the a bad start but it was magnified by O'Sullivan's terrible pocket presence and tendency to hold onto the ball too long. IIRC, Staley only allowed 1 sack after Hill took over at QB.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote