Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 07-07-2009, 10:22 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sando ESPN
Niners add rookie linebacker to play fullback

Undrafted rookie Brit Miller joins the 49ers' linebackers heading into training camp after the team claimed him off waivers from Carolina. I would tentatively put him in the category with players hoping to earn spots on the practice squad. Miller lacks ideal size and the 49ers have better depth at inside linebacker after drafting Scott McKillop.

Update: The 49ers intend to have Miller play fullback. He's going to have to earn his place on special teams anyway. Miller: "I won't have any trouble picking up on it because I am an offensive-minded player. I am OK playing with the ball behind me. I am going to try to do my job no matter where the ball is. I'm just trying to beat the man in front of me."

Miller had high hopes after the Panthers paid him a $6,000 bonus as part of a three-year deal. Life as an undrafted free agent tends to be an adventure, however. The Panthers waived Miller and another undrafted rookie linebacker, Mike Juergens, last week. The NFL awarded Miller to the 49ers after San Francisco placed the only claim on him.

That leaves the 49ers with 82 players, counting injured cornerback Walt Harris and four unsigned draft choices.

Miller, from Illinois, is 6 feet and 243 pounds. He was a team captain at Illinois. Pro Football Weekly's 2009 Draft Preview book called him "tough and instinctive" with good intangibles. They liked his strength, said he played hard and reacted quickly.

On the down side, Miller appeared "not very agile or quick-footed" to the point where he "could be restricted to playing on run downs" only. PFW described Miller as a "tough plugger" who "made his senior year his best and should warrant a chance to compete" in an NFL training camp.

It appears as though Miller will get that chance.
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcwest/0...-Panthers.html

Bye Bye Keasey
Old 07-07-2009, 11:22 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He wont even make the squad, we got Norris.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:23 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

49ers will carry two Fullbacks, unless Michael Robinson gets the reps a la Terry Jackson.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
49ers will carry two Fullbacks, unless Michael Robinson gets the reps a la Terry Jackson.
I think Robinson heads into the season as the second fullback. Though, I dont see Norris needing a backup, as that dude is as tough as nails.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:04 AM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I think Robinson heads into the season as the second fullback. Though, I dont see Norris needing a backup, as that dude is as tough as nails.
Agreed, but Robinson provides ammo for anyone with a wildcat fetish so he'll keep his place anyway.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:25 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

According to Matt Maiocco the 3 key players for the 49ers are:

1. OLB Manny Lawson
2. OT Marvel Smith
3. FS Dashon Goldson

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...t-players.html

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:23 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

I think that's pretty obvious haha.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:31 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think that's pretty obvious haha.
Well I wasn't aware. Most people here had me thinking Marvel Smith would be playing and minimal role and Dashon Goldson's job (despite an outstanding off-season) is still up for grabs.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:43 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Most people here had me thinking Marvel Smith would be playing and minimal role
Really? I was thinking they signed him to be the starter.

Quote:
and Dashon Goldson's job (despite an outstanding off-season) is still up for grabs.
What made you think this? They named him the starter before OTAs and told Roman to start finding a trade (apparently you cant trade him for bags of Doritos).

Old 07-21-2009, 08:27 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Really? I was thinking they signed him to be the starter.

What made you think this? They named him the starter before OTAs and told Roman to start finding a trade (apparently you cant trade him for bags of Doritos).
I dunno, it was around one of these threads someone was saying about Roman still the starter and Dashon being moved around with Reggie Smith in the mix. I'll find it. I'm not crazy 0_o

Old 07-22-2009, 11:31 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The article says that Smith will compete with Snyder for the RT spot. I'm actually hoping that Snyder wins the starting spot because I dont see Smith as nothing more than the 2009 version of Jonas Jennings. Granted, when healthy he's easily better than Jennings but I still dont see the point of signing an injury prone veteran to replace an injury prone veteran.

As for FS, I dont care if its Goldson or Smith as long as its not Roman. Personally, im hoping that Roman doesnt make it past final cuts.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:35 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Reggie Smith has yet to take any reps at Free Safety. He is currently the #3 Strong Safety.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:43 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Soo.... My favorite matchups this season:

QB Shaun Hill vs DE Chris Long - Should be a damn good one! Chris Long could go ape *you know what* this season.

RB Frank Gore vs LB James Lauranitis - Gore will probably knock him a time or two, but it's going to be a helluva matchup.

Good Luck this season my friends! Rams/49ers CO NFC West Champions!

Seriously though, whatever team isn't the champion, such as San Fran, is going to be Wild Card this year. Seattle is going to be HORRIBLE I think. Arizona will be good, but not as good as last season.

Go Rams!

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:22 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Well if you think about it the Cards weren't all that great last season but, they got it done in the post season.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:44 PM    (permalink
navarro49ers

just wanted say if you make to any games at the Stick to be Loud!! we need a better atmosphere and we need to bring the Noise!!!

see you all there STH since 04

GO NINERS!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 12:22 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who's the second SS?
Old 07-23-2009, 03:00 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB
Well if you think about it the Cards weren't all that great last season but, they got it done in the post season.
And like the Seahawks three years earlier, were screwed against the crappy Steelers in the Super Bowl.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Roman is pretty much the back up at both safety positions.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:34 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

So it's Michael Lewis and Dashon Goldson at Safeties?

Old 07-23-2009, 11:36 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
So it's Michael Lewis and Dashon Goldson at Safeties?
You are correct.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Interesting. If Dashon Goldson can continue making plays into the season, we could have a solid safety on our hands.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:02 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Interesting. If Dashon Goldson can continue making plays into the season, we could have a solid safety on our hands.
Yep, that is the consensus.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:00 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes, with him and Bly both being ballhawk-type players, I say our D is a Top 10 for sure, especially with the amount of more turnovers they could create.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:34 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Yeah we just need our BLITZ players to get to that quarterback.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:58 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Who's the second SS?
Depth Chart Prior to Training Camp

Free Safety
1. Dashon Goldson
2. Mark Roman
3. Reggie Smith

Strong Safety
1. Michael Lewis
2. Mark Roman
3. Reggie Smith