Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 12-17-2009, 01:16 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
I don't think he meant that Alex Smith is the Answer. I still don't think he is either.

Note that vs. Seattle 2 games back he had the ball in his hands in the late 4th qtr. & he was inaccurate, how many times have we seen this before? then Seattle had it & Hasselbeck (who has been considered by many to be over the hill or an inferior QB) connected on his passes & moved the chains, the difference in QBs was plain.

Yes the shotgun/spread has been user-friendly for Smith & he seems to be getting something going with Crabtree but I think it's too little too late, & Smith needs to overachieve to overcome the horrible history he has with the 9ers past regimes.

Smith needs a new NFL city & the 9ers need a new franchise QB (not named Hill). Locker in 2011!!

I for one don't consider Hassleback inferior, at the moment. Smith should stay here. Raye should stay here to provide stability in offenses. Smith's first season was HORRIBLE. His second season was what his rookie season should have been.. Alright. Now he's finally showing flashes of improvement and we want to dump him or we refuse to buy into him.

Guess what??? The Niners have bought into him. He's not going anywhere anytime soon and nothing we say on here really matters. It's just absurd to think we should throw in a new QB next season to replace him when he's playing good, at the moment.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:25 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even I wouldnt give up on Smith right now. He's playing well and would be doing better if the OL was playing better. Smith is still young at only 25 years old and there's no way in hell I would draft a QB in the first round for the second time in six drafts. No way. I would just stay with Smith and rebuild the OL and see how he does in 2010.

As for Coffee for Bush straight up, I know its not happening but considering the fact that Bush has performed more like a second round draft pick and is in no way, shape or form a featured back, I think that it would be more than even. A lot of people here wanted Bush in 2006 and while it took Vernon Davis in his fourth season to become dominant, he's been better in this one season than Bush has been in his entire NFL career and yet people here still love Bush and are willing to give up our second round draft pick for him as well as a contract extension despite the fact that we just drafted Coffee and have Gore.

People bash me for wanting to see Owens come back but at least that makes more sense than not where as trading and extending Bush doesnt make sense at all. However, with that being said, if we could somehow trade Coffee for a second rounder which would even out in regards to trading for Bush, I wouldnt have a problem with that since we would just be giving up a contract extension as if he was already on the team.

In the end though, I dont see Payton trading or releasing Bush anyway so all of this is mute.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:26 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Best 49ers Vid on Youtube bar none

Old 12-17-2009, 03:23 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
I don't think he meant that Alex Smith is the Answer. I still don't think he is either.

Note that vs. Seattle 2 games back he had the ball in his hands in the late 4th qtr. & he was inaccurate, how many times have we seen this before? then Seattle had it & Hasselbeck (who has been considered by many to be over the hill or an inferior QB) connected on his passes & moved the chains, the difference in QBs was plain.

Yes the shotgun/spread has been user-friendly for Smith & he seems to be getting something going with Crabtree but I think it's too little too late, & Smith needs to overachieve to overcome the horrible history he has with the 9ers past regimes.

Smith needs a new NFL city & the 9ers need a new franchise QB (not named Hill). Locker in 2011!!
Geez, if you're gonna cite a game where Smith didn't come through, the last thing you want to do is point to the Seattle game. Smith played on an ELITE level in that game, no doubt about it. He basically missed 1-2 throws the ENTIRE game, that one to Hill comes to mind. He leads this team down the field TWICE in the clutch and other players messed it up...Alex did more rhan enough. You can only lead a team down the field in the clutch so many times in one game man, give him a break, 3 clutch drives in one quarter? That's asking a bit much. Dude was in the zone that game, if not for the drops we blow them out and Smith throws for 350+ and 4 TDS.
binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
As for Coffee for Bush straight up, I know its not happening but considering the fact that Bush has performed more like a second round draft pick and is in no way, shape or form a featured back, I think that it would be more than even. A lot of people here wanted Bush in 2006 and while it took Vernon Davis in his fourth season to become dominant, he's been better in this one season than Bush has been in his entire NFL career and yet people here still love Bush and are willing to give up our second round draft pick for him as well as a contract extension despite the fact that we just drafted Coffee and have Gore.
Even if Bush s a "2nd Round Talent" in your eyes now, what makes you think that Coffee's stock as a 3rd Round Pick has gone up during his rookie season? He had a decent preseason but struggled in the two games when Gore was out and has been very sparingly used since, if at all. I don't see a team giving up a 2nd Round Pick for him, nor do I see the Niners trying to make that trade. If the were offered, I'm sure they'd consider, but what team is going to offer? Time to move onto your next theory/idea for the offseason, dan.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:15 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman
Even if Bush s a "2nd Round Talent" in your eyes now, what makes you think that Coffee's stock as a 3rd Round Pick has gone up during his rookie season? He had a decent preseason but struggled in the two games when Gore was out and has been very sparingly used since, if at all. I don't see a team giving up a 2nd Round Pick for him, nor do I see the Niners trying to make that trade. If the were offered, I'm sure they'd consider, but what team is going to offer?
Oops, my mistake. I forgot that we traded our 2nd to CAR for their 1st this upcoming draft despite me wanting two top ten draft picks. Quite simply, I wasnt paying attention.

Forget what I posted in regards to Coffee but my comments about not wanting Bush or trading a second rounder for him remain the same.

Sorry.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:46 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman
Time to move onto your next theory/idea for the offseason, dan.
Okay. :)

http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

QB - none
RB - none
FB - none
WR - Terrell Owens (BUF)

Unlike some here, I would welcome him back with open arms. Enough said.

TE - none
OC - none
OG - Jahri Evans (NO)

If management is looking at drafting an OG in the first round to replace Baas who's a UFA after this season, mine as well sign Evans who would be a huge upgrade over who we have playing at guard right now and the best OG since Larry Allen retired.

OT - none
DT - none
DE - none
OLB - none
ILB - DeMeco Ryans (HOU), D'Qwell Jackson (CLE), Karlos Dansby (ARZ)

Ryans is easily the best of the three and one of the best middle linebackers in the game and while he'll probably be re-signed or franchised (depending on what happens with Dunta Robinson), if he hits the FA market, just imagine him and Willis next to each other in the middle of our 3-4 linebacker unit. Jackson is underrated and would be a young upgrade over Spikes depending on how he progresses from his shoulder injury. I have wanted Dansby for the last year or two and wouldnt mind him in 2010 either but I would prefer the two I have listed before him especially since they're both younger.

CB - none
SS - none
FS - Nick Collins (GB)

Collins is a playmaker on a young transitioned defense who's only 26 years old. If he isnt re-signed or franchised and management doesnt decide to move Clements to FS, Collins would be a great signing. And since he's playing in the 3-4 defense this season, the transition to the 49ers 3-4 shouldnt be a problem.

K - none
P - none

Signing Evans and Collins would be great moves and solve three weaknesses (the third being CB since Clements would stay there) and allow us to use our two first round draft picks on a RT and a pass rushing OLB. If we cant get one of the three ILB's, I would just keep Spikes for anoher season or try out Brooks inside even though I think he's set at being outside.

Thoughts/opinions???

Last edited by dan77733 : 12-17-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:16 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
OG - Jahri Evans (NO)

ILB - DeMeco Ryans (HOU), D'Qwell Jackson (CLE)
I'm with you.

Change the FS to Oshiomogho Atogwe.

PS I have nothing against TO. I just don't want ANY media distraction/potential risk by signing a player that is aging more rapidly each season.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:51 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac
I'm with you.

Change the FS to Oshiomogho Atogwe.

PS I have nothing against TO. I just don't want ANY media distraction/potential risk by signing a player that is aging more rapidly each season.
I thought of Atogwe but Collins is two years younger and has just as many interceptions as Atogwe. The main difference is that Atogwe forces many more fumbles than Collins. I prefer Collins but quite honestly, I wouldnt complain or argue either way. One thing is certain - both are easily better than Roman. :)

I see your point about T.O. but he does get a bad rap sometimes as he's not always to blame. He's just the easy target and scapegoat. Look at DAL, they're not any different this season than they were a year ago despite everyone thinking that they were going to be better without T.O. How any team can be better off without a WR who had over 1000 yards and 10 TD's is beyond me. I dont care about the media and all that crap. I only care about how he plays on the field which is still pretty damn good despite his age. He's stuck in BUF which is basically the same thing as when Moss was stuck in OAK. Unlike Moss though, Owens doesnt take plays off. He plays every play 100%. Granted, Owens has negatives but so does every player but with every player, do the negatives outweigh the positives? And in my opinion, I dont think that the negatives has ever outweighed the positives in regards to T.O. going back to when he was a 49er years ago. I dont think that he's declining either. Unlike Bruce and many other veterans, Owens is still in superior conditioning which will allow him to continue playing for a few more years. I think that he'll definitely be a starter for the rest of his career.

Favortism aside, look at who we've had at WR since Owens was traded to the Eagles back in 2004. I'm going to post the list because its not even worth posting. Aside from Antonio Bryant in 2006, our WR's have been average at best with the only bright spot being Crabtree who I think has the talent to be damn good. Having Owens opposite him alone will make him better especially when you add in Davis, Gore, Coffee and Morgan. We can finally have a great receiving core along with a great running attack. As long as the OL gets repaired and rebuilt, Smith will finally have the weapons ad everything around him that will give him the chance to be our franchise QB.

Quite honestly, my main concern is with Smith because if he fails with all this possible talent around him, then we'll still be out looking for a damn QB and im sorry, im sick of seeing my team look for a franchise QB every year (or at least talk/have rumors about it). If Smith can play well in 2006 like he did, just imagine how well he should play in 2010 with all of these possible weapons. After Smith, my secondary concern is with the OC and the offensive scheme. They need to build it around the strengths of Smith in the off-season as opposed to changing it up mid-season after the QB change. If they do that, barring major injuries, I do believe that we can be not only a playoff team in 2010 but an actual threat instead of just one and done.

And back to Owens, I think that Singletary can and will get through to him just like he did with Davis if management brings him back.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:53 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Draft wise -

1A) RT Trent Williams
1B) RB C.J. Spiller

I was just reading a mock draft from Pro Football Weekly and they had both of them and I have to say that Spiller seems like a carbon copy of Bush but without all the hype. As for Coffee, I would trade him for a 3rd rounder if possible. If not, I would keep him and release Robinson since he's a waste anyway.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:08 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Draft wise -

1A) RT Trent Williams
1B) RB C.J. Spiller

I was just reading a mock draft from Pro Football Weekly and they had both of them and I have to say that Spiller seems like a carbon copy of Bush but without all the hype. As for Coffee, I would trade him for a 3rd rounder if possible. If not, I would keep him and release Robinson since he's a waste anyway.
I say make Robinson a full-time fullback and keep him on the roster for his special team efforts. Keep Coffee as the 3rd Back. CJ Spiller reminds me of the Denver Clinton Portis, even though he may not have the bulk of Portis. They have similar running styles and both have speed to blaze. Reggie Bush was more of a free running style, I don't think anyone compares to Reggie as far as college RBs go.

But, I would be fans of both because both players would be instant offensive upgrades. Is Trent Williams pass blocking that much of a problem? I was thinking he could play RT (his natural position) and not rely so much on his pass pro skills

Old 12-18-2009, 03:01 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually agree with dan on something. I think the smartest thing to do this offseason is to sign a Guard and sign a Safety. These two positions need immediate upgrades, and we will probably let Baas and/or Lewis go so we need immediate replacements. I believe this also sets us up perfectly for the draft, as there seems to be pretty good depth at OT (not the greatest quality, but good depth) and Pass rusher/OLB. Since the depth at those two positions are good it would allow us to make a move that would ensure our dominance for the next 5-6 years: drafting CJ Spiller.

I'm probably the last guy that would normally want to draft a kr/pr speed back in the first round. But Spiller is a special talent, and adding him to this offense would scare everyone and add an extra dimension that could make this an elite Offense. The good thing about this draft is that if we can find our Tackle and Spiller in the first, there SHOULD be a starting caliber Pass Rusher/OLB waiting for us with our 2nd round pick, or at least a pass rusher that we can rotate in with Haralson, Brooks, Lawson, and Briggs. IMO, this type of offseason would set us up to be a top team in this league, I'm practically giddy just thinking about it....Spiller and Gore sharing carries? Spiller in the slot with Gore in the backfield, Crabtree on the outside? wow. All kinds of possibilities.

I'd also be ok with drafting our OT and Pass rusher in the first, and then getting a guy like Best in the 2nd..he could add that same dimension that Spiller would.

The question is, can we afford to sign a starting, quality Guard along with a starting, quality Safety? I think if we lost Lewis' hefty contract, we could.

Last edited by binary : 12-18-2009 at 03:38 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:59 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
The question is, can we afford to sign a starting, quality Guard along with a starting, quality Safety? I think if we lost Lewis' hefty contract, we could.
Assuming there is still a salary cap next year, teams have more trouble meeting the salary floor than staying under the salary cap.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:37 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Okay. :)

OG - Jahri Evans (NO)
This one will have to stay a want. NO will be resigning him, no doubt about it.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:29 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary
I actually agree with dan on something. I think the smartest thing to do this offseason is to sign a Guard and sign a Safety. These two positions need immediate upgrades, and we will probably let Baas and/or Lewis go so we need immediate replacements. I believe this also sets us up perfectly for the draft, as there seems to be pretty good depth at OT (not the greatest quality, but good depth) and Pass rusher/OLB. Since the depth at those two positions are good it would allow us to make a move that would ensure our dominance for the next 5-6 years: drafting CJ Spiller.

I'm probably the last guy that would normally want to draft a kr/pr speed back in the first round. But Spiller is a special talent, and adding him to this offense would scare everyone and add an extra dimension that could make this an elite Offense. The good thing about this draft is that if we can find our Tackle and Spiller in the first, there SHOULD be a starting caliber Pass Rusher/OLB waiting for us with our 2nd round pick, or at least a pass rusher that we can rotate in with Haralson, Brooks, Lawson, and Briggs. IMO, this type of offseason would set us up to be a top team in this league, I'm practically giddy just thinking about it....Spiller and Gore sharing carries? Spiller in the slot with Gore in the backfield, Crabtree on the outside? wow. All kinds of possibilities.

I'd also be ok with drafting our OT and Pass rusher in the first, and then getting a guy like Best in the 2nd..he could add that same dimension that Spiller would.

I must be the only one who still likes Lewis as our starting SS. Releasing him would just create another void in the secondary and quite honestly, I dont see the point of doing that. Manusky just needs to use Lewis in run coverage and play him at the los along with having him blitz here and there. His weakness is in coverage (like the majority of SS) which means that we need a FS who's good in coverage and can make plays. If we're able to sign Collins or Atogwe but release Lewis, wouldnt we still be in the same damn position that we are in now? I just dont understand the logic behind that. I know a lot of people here wants Berry or Mays but if we keep Lewis (which we should) and sign a FS, we dont even need to worry about drafting a safety especially since we've drafted Goldson, Smith and Taylor over the last few years.

Baas is a UFA and I doubt that we'll re-sign him. I dont think that NO will let Evans hit FA but if he does, I go all-out to get him because he not only plays good but more importantly, he plays good consistenty.

Draft wise, im honestly leaning towards Williams and Spiller. I was hoping to see us have two top ten draft picks but I doubt thats going to happen. Salary cap wise, im not worried because the cap will increase when the CBA gets re-done (which it will since Goodell will just push back the start of the league year like he did a few years ago in order to make sure it gets done).

As for a pass rushing OLB, I still dont think that we even need one and here's why - even if we draft a pure pass rusher, our coaches will just put him in coverage the majority of the time anyway. In all the highlights I see, its always just a three or four man rush. I never see more than that and when you're not blitzing and sending extra defenders at the QB, of course, you'll say that we need a pass rushing OLB. I think that it has more to do with the scheme and play calling than it does who we have player wise.

And you're not the last guy who would want to draft a speed back in the first round. Look at the Titans or Vikings. They had White and Taylor respectively and still drafted Johnson and Peterson. While Spiller doesnt have the power of either, he has the speed and is definitely a good change of pace back behind Gore. I would still look for a pure kick/punt returner in round four or beyond as I hate seeing starters or a backup who's a major part of the offense (or defense) returning kicks because that just wears him down more and increases the chances of him getting injured.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:33 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
I say make Robinson a full-time fullback and keep him on the roster for his special team efforts. Keep Coffee as the 3rd Back. CJ Spiller reminds me of the Denver Clinton Portis, even though he may not have the bulk of Portis. They have similar running styles and both have speed to blaze. Reggie Bush was more of a free running style, I don't think anyone compares to Reggie as far as college RBs go.

But, I would be fans of both because both players would be instant offensive upgrades. Is Trent Williams pass blocking that much of a problem? I was thinking he could play RT (his natural position) and not rely so much on his pass pro skills
I was thinking of adding Leonard Weaver to my wish list but then remembered that he's played in the WCO in Seattle and Philadelphia and since we dont run that, it wouldnt make any sense to bring him in. I wouldnt mind keeping Robinson as the second FB but no way would I keep him over Norris.

I wouldnt have a problem with Williams at RT whatsoever. He may not be great in pass protection but he's easily an upgrade over wh we've had there since probably Scott Gragg and thats saying something.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:00 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I must be the only one who still likes Lewis as our starting SS. Releasing him would just create another void in the secondary and quite honestly, I dont see the point of doing that. Manusky just needs to use Lewis in run coverage and play him at the los along with having him blitz here and there. His weakness is in coverage
Yes but his coverage ability is SO POOR that he is replaced by Mark Roman and Keith Smith. We can't assume what plays will be pass plays and which one's will be runs. I agree that Lewis is great in run support but the degree of coverage liability couple with concussion concerns could deem Lewis expendable.

Quote:
which means that we need a FS who's good in coverage and can make plays. If we're able to sign Collins or Atogwe but release Lewis, wouldnt we still be in the same damn position that we are in now?I just dont understand the logic behind that.
Nick Collins and Oshiomogho Atogwe are rangy Free Safeties. Lewis' departure would have zero effect on that position. Mark Roman, Dashon Goldson, Reggie Smith, and Curtis Taylor all have skills that translate to SS.

Quote:
even if we draft a pure pass rusher, our coaches will just put him in coverage the majority of the time anyway. In all the highlights I see, its always just a three or four man rush. I never see more than that and when you're not blitzing and sending extra defenders at the QB, of course, you'll say that we need a pass rushing OLB. I think that it has more to do with the scheme and play calling than it does who we have player wise.
Sending 3 or 4 rushers is typical of all systems. Obviously blitzing (which the 49ers do rarely) could cause more havoc, however, what I want is an OLB that can consistently get the QB WITHOUT blitzing extra men. The inability of the OLBs to consistently get sacks is the reason most want a new rush backer. This has nothing to do with scheme. It has to do with the fact that none of the 49ers current OLB have been dominant.

Quote:
I would still look for a pure kick/punt returner in round four or beyond as I hate seeing starters or a backup who's a major part of the offense (or defense) returning kicks because that just wears him down more and increases the chances of him getting injured.
Tell that to Josh Cribbs
Old 12-18-2009, 02:04 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
ILB - DeMeco Ryans (HOU), D'Qwell Jackson (CLE), Karlos Dansby (ARZ)

Ryans is easily the best of the three and one of the best middle linebackers in the game and while he'll probably be re-signed or franchised (depending on what happens with Dunta Robinson), if he hits the FA market, just imagine him and Willis next to each other in the middle of our 3-4 linebacker unit. Jackson is underrated and would be a young upgrade over Spikes depending on how he progresses from his shoulder injury. I have wanted Dansby for the last year or two and wouldnt mind him in 2010 either but I would prefer the two I have listed before him especially since they're both younger.
Interesting -- If they pair Ryans with Willis inside replacing 10-yr veteran Spikes that would be 2 SEC All American LBs who were Defensive Rookies of the Yr. in successive yrs. Ryans would be an upgrade over Spikes who's recovering from (I think) an achilles tendon injury, those can often be career-enders. Ryans gets a lot of sacks for Houston which is unusual for a 4-3 MLB, they get max use of his deceptive speed & the 9ers should also.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see how Ryans would be available. He's a young stud LB who has far outplayed his (pretty high) 2nd Round Draft status (though he was the FIRST pick in the Second Round).

I like Dansby too, but I'd actually take Ryans over him for signing a long term deal.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:31 PM    (permalink
89Niners
Rookie

89Niners hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Did you guys see this post on NinersNation? This guy Fooch put in a lot of work on this and it's a great read. Just an attempt at adding some value and thank God it's Friday.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/12/...2009-the-other
89Niners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:43 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Just kind of repeating what Phlysac stated...Lewis is concussion prone, he stinks at coverage, and he is basically taking up a position that I think Goldson would be a natural at (SS). He also has a pretty big contract next year, 5 million next year for a Strong Safety that can't cover and is concussion prone. I think letting Lewis go and signing a rangy, coverage Safety must be done. Lewis = one of the main reasons TEs have been killing us, also one of the main reasons we still see Roman on the field so darn much. Considering all these factors, I see no point to keeping Lewis around, we should upgrade immediately.

An OLB that can get to the QB consistently is still a need IMO, whether by rotation or a full time starter. If we can get to the QB next year without having to blitz next year, we will create turnovers galore given the amount of athleticism we have on D (new rangy FS, Goldson at SS, Spencer and Clements and Brown, Brooks, Lawson, Willis...this would be an extremely athletic, physical defense). Being able to drop 7 back into coverage would be a godsend for us, and it would only serve to INCREASE the effectiveness of our blitzes.

We should also resign Bly. I don't think he is a good starting corner, but he is excellent depth. In fact, him and Brown are great depth for this team (remember, Brown is still very young). Going into next season with Bly, Brown, Spencer, and Clements is fine with me, we would not have to add a CB pick in rounds 1-3 IMO. As long as we add a rangy Safety that can minimize the huge plays, we should be fine in the secondary...heck, Reggie Smith may be that guy, you never know.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:19 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

So are most of you ok with Smith as the QB for '10? I knew the PHI game was gonna be brutal after Delanie's fumble, so I wasn't THAT heartbroken over Smith's performance. I think he deserves one offseason. Next year should just be a make-or-break year for all involved (Raye, Sing, Smith). Two draft picks, plenty of $, this team should definitely have the talent to go far and kill the division (i hope).

And we better be grooming Nate Davis in case Alex doesn't work out by game 5-6 of next year.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:36 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

^^^^^

I just hope we spend some money on the positions we need -

FS, OG and ILB if Ryans/Jackson are available. I would also sign T.O. and release Brandon Jones, Bruce and allow Battle to leave as an UFA.

If we cant get Jahri Evans as a FA, then an OG becomes a priority along with RT in the first round especially with Baas leaving as an UFA. If we do, then I go after Williams for RT and Spiller but then trade Coffee for a draft pick or player who can help us at another position.

Top 3 free agents if available -

1) OG Jahri Evans (highly unlikely but im hoping)
2) FS Nick Collins (likely to be allowed to leave as Atogwe will most likely be franchised again)
3) ILB DeMeco Ryans/ILB D'Qwell Jackson (honestly, I dont see either one NOT being franchised but if either one is available, I definitely go after them and keep Spikes as a backup)

Sentimental signing -

WR Terrell Owens (yeah, big surprise, lol)

With us letting Bruce, Jones, Battle, Lewis and Roman leaving, the money saved could go to T.O. and still have money left over. Seriously, is there anyone here who would rather have any combination of those five players over T.O.??? Come on.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:14 PM    (permalink
txparkes49x
Veteran

txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Sentimental signing -

WR Terrell Owens (yeah, big surprise, lol)

With us letting Bruce, Jones, Battle, Lewis and Roman leaving, the money saved could go to T.O. and still have money left over. Seriously, is there anyone here who would rather have any combination of those five players over T.O.??? Come on.
I dont mind T.O as long as he is the #2 WR, Crabtree once he goes through ALL of training camp and plays some preseason games willl be #1, if T.O gets that, then im cool with him coming back.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:22 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Crabtree and Owens would both be starters but let's be realistic, even though Crabtree has played well and better than expected, T.O. is one of the best damn receivers in the league and quite honestly, until T.O. shows that he's like Bruce and done, he should be the number one receiver until Crabtree is ready to take over. Besides, putting all the pressure and whatnot on Crabtree over T.O. isnt a smart idea. Owens wants the pressure and is used to it. Wont faze him where as it could be a problem for the young an still unproven receiver.