Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 08-15-2010, 11:47 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...entwan-balmer/

LMFAO!!! Good luck getting anything in return for yet another first round bust.
Gonna get Raye some ******, maybe some donuts for Chilo.
binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:25 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I guess Rachal was the one responsible for those sacks to Angerer?
Yes, the Colts were running LB blitzes & D-linemen stunts & it totally flummoxed Rachal. He has a yr's experience & should know how to pick up a blitz & deal with stunting linemen.

The announcer on the local broadcast (borderline worthless, they even never bother to set the starting lineups in the 1st series of downs) said Rachal's main problem in camp has been trying to maul people like he did at SC & still needs to learn how to get his hands up & control them 1st before they do it to him. It's like he's a rookie all over again, & the question IMO becomes whether Singletary runs out of patience with him or he gets it.

He better get it soon b/c like last yr the defense seems to clearly ID him as the weak link in the 9ers OL & will run traps & stunts effectively all day.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:26 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Throw out some quick thoughts:
- Looking for more from Alex but one game. Thought he looked more comfortable in 5/7 step drops and liked the confidence in the throw to Walker but got to translate to postive results.
- Sing better start Dixon for the rest of the preseason over M-Rob. What a debut. As the announcers were saying he runs like a bull. Stiff arm was nasty.
- Need to get another running back in camp though to save those guys legs.
- It seemed like D.Briggs and Bruce Davis spent the whole time in Indy's backfield. They had consistant pressure the whole game.
-Hope K.Williams injury is just a minor setback but his ability during KR/PR shows he can be a gamechanger out there.
-Risky by Sing to leave the starting line in there for a whole half. But more surprised he kept Iupati and Davis deep into the 3rd. Really trying to excel their learning process. Could payoff big.
-Mays is the "The Flash" out there. Still had coverage issues but it is going to be scary once he gets the playbook done. Don't think we will see so many screens go for big gains with him out there.
-Nate Davis looked good. Hoping he gets some run with the twos in one of these games.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:33 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
Yes, the Colts were running LB blitzes & D-linemen stunts & it totally flummoxed Rachal. He has a yr's experience & should know how to pick up a blitz & deal with stunting linemen.

The announcer on the local broadcast (borderline worthless, they even never bother to set the starting lineups in the 1st series of downs) said Rachal's main problem in camp has been trying to maul people like he did at SC & still needs to learn how to get his hands up & control them 1st before they do it to him. It's like he's a rookie all over again, & the question IMO becomes whether Singletary runs out of patience with him or he gets it.

Summed up Rachal career perfectly right there. I don't want to see him benched through one game but curious what Sing's course of action is if he is struggling by game 3. Do you go with Wragge or Synder over him or when Heitmann gets back slid Baas over to RG? It will be intriguing spot to watch in the next few weeks.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:40 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Balmer traded to Seattle:
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...-deal-bal.html

No terms of deal yet. Scotty Mac must have made the push to Seattle's management. It was nice to get anything in return for Balmer.

2nd hand info but SF might have interest in Brian Westbrook
http://twitter.com/Russellmania09/statuses/21320676462
Quote:
Just talked to Byron Westbrook, says brother has some new possible opportunity's in SF and Buff as well as STL
Always been a fan of Westbrook and it would bring a different style of back to the 3 SF has on the roster.

Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? : 08-16-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:36 AM    (permalink
mac25fan
Rookie

mac25fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post

Always been a fan of Westbrook and it would bring a different style of back to the 3 SF has on the roster.
This would be a great add. I would like the different look that he would give and Raye could have some fun with 2 HB sets.
mac25fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:43 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Throw out some quick thoughts:
- Looking for more from Alex but one game. Thought he looked more comfortable in 5/7 step drops and liked the confidence in the throw to Walker but got to translate to postive results.
- Sing better start Dixon for the rest of the preseason over M-Rob. What a debut. As the announcers were saying he runs like a bull. Stiff arm was nasty.
- Need to get another running back in camp though to save those guys legs.
- It seemed like D.Briggs and Bruce Davis spent the whole time in Indy's backfield. They had consistant pressure the whole game.
-Hope K.Williams injury is just a minor setback but his ability during KR/PR shows he can be a gamechanger out there.
-Risky by Sing to leave the starting line in there for a whole half. But more surprised he kept Iupati and Davis deep into the 3rd. Really trying to excel their learning process. Could payoff big.
-Mays is the "The Flash" out there. Still had coverage issues but it is going to be scary once he gets the playbook done. Don't think we will see so many screens go for big gains with him out there.
-Nate Davis looked good. Hoping he gets some run with the twos in one of these games.
-Not worried about Smith just yet. It's only pre-season. Have to wait and see how he plays when the games count.
-I didnt see any highlights of Dixon but 21 carries for 100 yards and a TD is pretty impressive. If he can play like that in the regular season, everyone will forget that we ever drafted Coffee.
-I'm actually hoping Briggs and Davis make the roster or practice squad over Laboy. For $2.5m, Laboy was a waste of a signing. That money could have been put towards re-signing Lawson instead.
-I still think Williams will make the roster over Jones. :)
- Good and bad idea leaving the starting OL out there that long. Good for the experience and chemistry but bad if someone gets injured.
-I'm really hoping Mays wins the starting SS job over Lewis. I have liked Lewis since he was with Philly but his age, salary and injury history means its time to move on.
-I hope Davis continues to progress because if Smith fails, Davis would be the guy I would start in 2011.

Quote:
Summed up Rachal career perfectly right there. I don't want to see him benched through one game but curious what Sing's course of action is if he is struggling by game 3. Do you go with Wragge or Synder over him or when Heitmann gets back slid Baas over to RG? It will be intriguing spot to watch in the next few weeks.
Personally, I would sign Mawae for depth at center and trade Rachal. The only reason why he's starting is because of injuries to Heitmann and Baas and personally, as much as I want to see him win the starting RG spot and become good, I have a feeling that its not going to happen. If he doesnt improve within the next three games to where Sing and company have confidence in him, I would trade him too because without a salary cap, now is the best time to eliminate dead weight.

Quote:
Balmer traded to Seattle:
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...-deal-bal.html

No terms of deal yet. Scotty Mac must have made the push to Seattle's management. It was nice to get anything in return for Balmer.

Happy to see Balmer gone. Guy was crap but im hoping that since he was a first rounder and only in his third season that we at least got a 4th rounder for him. I get the feeling that it's a seventh rounder. Oh well, at least his contract is off the books and opens up a roster spot for someone else.

And I would love to see Westbrook here in SF. He'll be more valuable than Robinson and a good change of pace back and another weapon out of the backfield on screens and stuff. Signing him would allow Sing to limit Gore's and Dixon's carries while keeping Robinson just for special teams.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:03 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

49ers get a 6th for Balmer:
Quote:
MaioccoCSN 49ers get 6th-rd pick from Seattle for Balmer, source tells CSN.
A lot more then I was expecting.

Dan- Here is the Anthony Dixon highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZxzP...layer_embedded

Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? : 08-16-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:18 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan77733
Personally, I would sign Mawae for depth at center and trade Rachal. The only reason why he's starting is because of injuries to Heitmann and Baas and personally, as much as I want to see him win the starting RG spot and become good, I have a feeling that its not going to happen. If he doesnt improve within the next three games to where Sing and company have confidence in him, I would trade him too because without a salary cap, now is the best time to eliminate dead weight.
I would pass on Mawae. Would rather see Baas or Wragge get PT there. As disappointing as Chilo has been I wouldn't think of moving him yet. Also doubt SF would think of that since Rachal has been Sing's pet project since he has taken over as coach.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:04 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I would pass on Mawae. Would rather see Baas or Wragge get PT there. As disappointing as Chilo has been I wouldn't think of moving him yet. Also doubt SF would think of that since Rachal has been Sing's pet project since he has taken over as coach.
Well, I would only sign Mawae if I was to trade Rachal. Adding a veteran like Mawae next to Iupati would be good. Sing has to stop with his "pet projects" because no matter how hard he tries, its not going to do a damn thing if the player doesnt try or care. If he continues to suck in the next three pre-season games and second/third string defenses are kicking his ass, I would just trade him like they did Balmer because there's no point in using two first round draft picks on Iupati and Davis when all the defensive players are going right past/over Rachal to get to Smith.

A sixth round draft pick for a former first round draft pick. So sad. And thanks for the highlights of Dixon.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:51 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Just watched the highlights of Dixon. Pretty impressive. Loved the stiff arm on the TD run but the double juke in the backfield to get away from two defenders and three tackles for a good gain was very very impressive. Vision, reaction and burst all on the same play. And he seems pretty fast too. The only negative is that I saw him limping a few times. We definitely should sign Westbrook or someone to limit Dixon because as of right now, he's looking like the backup to Gore.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
49ers get a 6th for Balmer:

A lot more then I was expecting.
Wow I'm surprised we got anything at all. I'm happy with that deal.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:04 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I need opioins on Shawntae Spencer, how good is he in the zone system and what is his worth on the open market? The Packers lack talent at DB and he's a FA next offseason
Old 08-16-2010, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
I need opioins on Shawntae Spencer, how good is he in the zone system and what is his worth on the open market? The Packers lack talent at DB and he's a FA next offseason
He's our best corner and had a good season last year. He's most likely not going anywhere.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
Uh no. According to ninercaphell.com, Spencer is signed through 2012.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Uh no. According to ninercaphell.com, Spencer is signed through 2012.
Right, that would have been a surprise to me seeing as how the only free agents we've been talking about all offseason and their future with the team were Manny Lawson, Dashon Goldson, and Vernon Davis.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2010, 04:19 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Westbrook to sign with SF?
http://fantasyfootballbreakdown.com/story.asp?sid=10967
This was off their twitter 3 hours ago
Quote:
Reports: Brian Westbrook is poised to sign a deal with the #49ers, according to a league source.
Timing of today would make sense since Coffee officially filed his retirement papers, opening up a roster spot, 49ers pushed back Coach Sing press conference to 2:30 and none of the beat writers have denied it in that time span.

But never heard of the site and it just popped up when I was searching through #49ers on twitter and the link to a Matt Barrows article is broken.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Westbrook to sign with SF?
http://fantasyfootballbreakdown.com/story.asp?sid=10967
This was off their twitter 3 hours ago

Timing of today would make sense since Coffee officially filed his retirement papers, opening up a roster spot, 49ers pushed back Coach Sing press conference to 2:30 and none of the beat writers have denied it in that time span.

But never heard of the site and it just popped up when I was searching through #49ers on twitter and the link to a Matt Barrows article is broken.
That would be awesome if true.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2010, 05:42 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If anyone is gonna start over Lewis, it's gonna be Reggie. Rachal blows, it's his third year an no improvement....for a freaking GUARD. Putting Baas at RG when Heitmann returns might be the move to make. Staley, Iupati, Heit, Baas, Davis are really our best linemen, put them out there on the same field.

Awesome if we sign Westbrook, there's the speed/quick back we've been wanting. He probably won't be too productive anymore, but teams will have to account for him and his speed.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:06 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Woohoo!!! Team officially signed Westbrook and he's already on the team's roster page. :)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ian-westbrook/

http://www.49ers.com/team/roster.html

Balmer actually bought his way out of SF for $80,000 which is crappy considering the team could have gotten about $1m back in bonus money. Granted, we get a 6th rounder but I rather have the extra million. Oh well, either way, im happy he's gone.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...re-guarantees/

And best of all, I get to add Westbrook to the 49ers roster in 2K11 (aka 2K5). What an awesome day. I'm so happy. :)
Old 08-16-2010, 06:14 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Right, that would have been a surprise to me seeing as how the only free agents we've been talking about all offseason and their future with the team were Manny Lawson, Dashon Goldson, and Vernon Davis.
That's why I checked that quickly because there's no way we would have overlooked him being an UFA in 2011. Hopefully, we'll get those three guys extended because we'll need the franchise tag for Franklin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
If anyone is gonna start over Lewis, it's gonna be Reggie. Rachal blows, it's his third year an no improvement....for a freaking GUARD. Putting Baas at RG when Heitmann returns might be the move to make. Staley, Iupati, Heit, Baas, Davis are really our best linemen, put them out there on the same field.

Awesome if we sign Westbrook, there's the speed/quick back we've been wanting. He probably won't be too productive anymore, but teams will have to account for him and his speed.
You really do love Reggie Smith, dont you? Actually, I think if anyone starts over Lewis, it will be Mays because he's set at SS where as I could Smith moving to FS if the team doesnt re-sign Goldson. I cant see Mays playing FS despite the fact that both safety spots are the same in Manusky's defense.

I agree with you about Rachal but I would give him the rest of the pre-season. If he plays like he did against Indy, I would probably trade him too and eliminate the dead weight. Baas/Snyder and even Sims at OG would play better than Rachal has.

And we did sign Westbrook. One year worth $1.25m plus another $1.25m in incentives. Rams actually offered him more but he obviously didnt want to go there and I can definitely understand why.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:31 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post

Smith played well Sunday. He broke up a TD pass by Peyton Manning on the 1st drive, then scored a TD off a tipped pass. And i believe Singletary said he was having a good camp. I think Smith takes over Roman's spot as the 3rd safety, i expect Mays to mostly play ST's and serve as depth, with Taylor making the roster and serving as a gameday inactive. We tend to keep a lot of DBs.

Other standouts from the game were RJF, Dixon, Kyle Williams, Diyral Briggs, Bruce Davis, and Mike Balogun. I didn't focus on him but i heard Baas did well at Center too. Of course you have to take it with a grain of salt, but its encouraging at least.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 08-16-2010 at 06:36 PM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:41 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Our biggest weaknesses on D are consistent pass rush and pass coverage. I like Smith because he's our best Safety when it comes to coverage, he's pretty natural at it. He can even man up on a WR if you absolutely need him to, which you can't do with any of the other guys. Stinks he had a rash of injuries early on, but it seems like he's healthy now and having the best camp of all the Safeties.

I'm just curious, can someone tell me why we never tried Robinson at fullback? He seems like he'd be a pretty good new-age FB...he can catch pretty well for someone of his build.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:42 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

back to back good moves by the 9ers :/

Getting anything for Balmer is a win and Westbrook while old, can still be effective as a change of pace back I think

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
back to back good moves by the 9ers :/

Getting anything for Balmer is a win and Westbrook while old, can still be effective as a change of pace back I think
Yup, he can step in on third downs and keep Gore fresh. The move is great considering what they will be asking him to do.