Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-07-2011, 06:32 PM    (permalink
nikkayeah
Rookie

nikkayeah is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nikkayeah is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nikkayeah is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nikkayeah is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nikkayeah is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nikkayeah is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nikkayeah is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nikkayeah is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nikkayeah is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nikkayeah is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nikkayeah is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if we draft marcell dareus, i think he could play nt for us, since we will have a 1-gap scheme.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:57 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
I'm not obsessed with all free agents. Only ones I think would be an upgrade over who we currently have. The only player that I want every year who's an UFA is T.O. but since he's my favorite player and an ex-49er, can you really blame me?

UGH. How about Jimmy Smith or Aaron Williams? Do you like either of them or do I still have to choose better prospects?
You could just change your user name to Sloppyseconds49er.
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkayeah View Post
if we draft marcell dareus, i think he could play nt for us, since we will have a 1-gap scheme.
Dareus could do it if we kept Sopo at end. It seems you need at least one end to really anchor if you go with a more penetrating type nose. With Fangio's willingness to bring the double barrel blitz, Dareus, Willis and Spikes and Smith could be a nightmare to deal with if even one OLB brought something to the table on a regular basis.

I'm not sure what Franklin really weighs in at lately, but Dareus is probably pretty close and just needs a couple years to get the same strength Franklin brings.
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:33 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Depending on how the board shakes out (assuming Miller, Gabbert and Peterson are gone), if they don't love any of the players still on the board, any chance they go BPA and take AJ Green/Julio Jones?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:43 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye123 View Post
Anyone else think NT is a pretty high need?
Absolutely.

Corner
Quarterback
Pass Rusher
Nose Tackle

Phil Taylor, Jerrell Powe, Sione Fua - we need to find one in this draft in my opinion.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:49 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Depending on how the board shakes out (assuming Miller, Gabbert and Peterson are gone), if they don't love any of the players still on the board, any chance they go BPA and take AJ Green/Julio Jones?
Tackle -

Amukamara would almost certainly come before Green/Jones and I would also put Robert Quinn ahead of those two

If he's gone as well, I think before we take AJ Green, it'd be best to find a trade partner who wants him.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:27 PM    (permalink
Milk Man
Rookie

Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post
Absolutely.

Corner
Quarterback
Pass Rusher
Nose Tackle

Phil Taylor, Jerrell Powe, Sione Fua - we need to find one in this draft in my opinion.
Why would you rank CB a bigger need then QB or OLB? Not only are they more premium positions, but at least Clements and Spencer are somewhat serviceable. We obviously need to upgrade but those two are way better at their job then Carr, Brooks or Haralson. There's a decent chance we take a CB in the 1st, but its not the biggest need.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:34 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Tackle -

Amukamara would almost certainly come before Green/Jones and I would also put Robert Quinn ahead of those two

If he's gone as well, I think before we take AJ Green, it'd be best to find a trade partner who wants him.
Definitely agree with this. Don't want another top 10 pick on a WR.
binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

QB is 100% the number one need. The only QB on the roster is Carr. Which means we have no quarterback!!! and QB is the number one position in the NFL!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:26 PM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would you guys rather take Locker or Some QB this Year or do bad this Season and get this http://i56.tinypic.com/1pvwnt.png ? A Guy I know at another Draft Site made this. I would rather wait for that.
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Instead of quoting several posts above, I'll just comment on a few things.

- DT Sione Fua is the guy I couldnt remember. Hoping to get him in the 4th round along with the FB Marecic in the same round.

- While QB is a huge need, depending on who we lose to UFA and if we sign anyone to replace those we lose, going defense in the draft becomes more important because it doesnt matter who your QB is if your defense is giving up 30+ points a game. With that said, there's no UFA QB worth signing. Draft wise, I wouldnt draft any QB at 7 because I dont think any QB is worth the 7th overall draft pick especially if Peterson/Prince/Miller are still on the board. I think that we'll acquire a possible franchise QB via trade or in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft. I personally would trade a 3rd for Packers Matt Flynn. I have no interest in Kolb whatsoever and no way in hell would I trade away anything higher than a 3rd rounder for any other team's backup QB via trade. A 3rd for Flynn is even high but if we draft a QB in round 2 or 3, I would rather trade for Flynn who I think can be good. He just needs the chance. I dont want Kolb who already has a history of concussions and quite honestly, I dont think he's played any better than Flynn. Seriously, Kolb couldnt even outplay a rusty ex-convict. Also, if I remember correctly, the last time we traded with the Eagles for a player, it was Owens for Brandon Whiting. I stay far far away from the Eagles if im Baalke/Harbaugh. Rather have Orton over Kolb but he's due $7.379m in 2011 ($2.879m is guaranteed) plus a $1.5m roster bonus and he'll be an UFA in 2012. $8.8m+ overall is way too much for Orton and since he's getting that much for one season, he'll probably want an average of $8m per season in any contract extension. Add in the draft pick and thats way too much.

Granted, Flynn has only started one game in his NFL career but let's be realistic. He has the same chance at becoming good as Kolb does. Only difference is that he'll be cheaper money and draft pick wise. Not only that, but I think we could get Flynn and give him a five year extension worth $25m total including guaranteed money. That is cheap for a potential franchise QB. I think Kolb would want more and I definitely think Orton would want more. And I would trade our 5th rounder to TB for Josh Johnson and then extend him to a 5 year $15m deal which when you think about it would be an average of $3m per season. If Carr is worth over $2m as a backup for 2011, Johnson is easily worth that and like Flynn, would be cheap. Guaranteed money over the first two seasons with huge base salaries backloaded. That way, if either or both flop, we can release them without any salary cap hit and before their huge base salaries kick in.

Sure, we would be paying out guaranteed money but thats going to happen regardless of who the QB is if we trade for one so it all evens out in the end.

- Draft wise, our needs would be QB (if we dont acquire one via trade in FA), CB, OLB (pass rusher), NT (if Franklin leaves or stays) and FS (if Goldson leaves). I have Peterson/Prince/Miller as my top three defensive players for number 7. Offensively, just WR A.J. Green and Locker but I wouldnt draft Locker unless all four are gone and im still looking for a potential franchise QB.

Dream scenario would be CB Patrick Peterson at 7 followed by Prince. Backup plan would be to try to trade down twice into the late teens for one of the other three CB's and then trade back into the first for Pouncey or Locker if he falls into the 20's.

- Regarding A.J. Green, if Peterson/Prince/Miller are gone by 7, I would first try to trade down but for hopefully a good deal (come on WSH, you love trading away draft picks, lol) that easily favors us. If I couldnt get the trade package that im looking for, I say screw it and draft Green because to get a prospect of his caliber at 7 to match up with Crabtree, Davis and others would be awesome and passing on him just because we drafted Crabtree two years ago would be stupid in my opinion considering the top three players on my board are already gone.

And NO, I do not want Quinn. Guy hasnt played in a year, is rusty as hell and not worth the 7th overall draft pick. Quinn seems like the next Gholston but without the impressive Combine showing. Would draft Dareus or Bowers before I even look at Quinn. UGH.

- Sloppyseconds49er huh???

Everyone bashes me for wanting to sign a few free agents but its not like im looking to sign crappers. All the players I would sign would be players who have proven their worth already, play a position that we need and would be an upgrade over who we currently have.

For 2011, I only have three free agents from other teams that im hoping for. RB Darren Sproles who would give us that speed back that we could definitely use and be a solid backup to Gore and provide a spark on returns plus his value is low compared to what it was two seasons ago. Wouldnt even cost that much. CB Richard Marshall is the second UFA. He's only 25, in his prime and yet has played and started enough games to where he's a veteran. Would be an upgrade over Spencer/Clements and even if we were to sign him to a 5 year/$35m deal, it would be far cheaper than what Clements is scheduled to earn the next few seasons. According to Rotoworld.com, Clements has a 2011 base salary of $7.25m and could earn another $7.95m in likely to be earned incentives. Is due $19.77m in 2012 and 2013. 2014 is a voidable year in which he would make $15.48m. Even if you just add his base salaries for the next three seasons, he'll make $27.02m. Add in the other $7.95m and it all evens out. Even if you dont include the $7.95m, Marshall would only cost $8m more for an extra two seasons and even when his contract expires, he'll still be younger than what Clements is now. Hopefully add Patrick Peterson and we have two new starting CB's with Spencer as the nickelback, Brown as the dimeback and Adams/Brock as backup depth/special teams.

Third free agent is K Mason Crosby. Will be an UFA if the new CBA allows players to be UFA's after four seasons. I originally wanted to keep Reed but if Crosby hits the market, I go after him instead. Nedney is good but he's old, will be an UFA in 2012 and just time to move on. To finally have a good young franchise kicker sure as hell isnt a bad thing.

The rest would be re-signing our own players and yeah, its a lot of them. Baas, Wragge, Sims, Franklin, McDonald, Lawson, Spikes and Goldson. Of course, I see at least half being allowed to leave as UFA's.

So basically, my off-season would consist of three UFA signings from other teams, two QB trades and re-signing our own players. And while it looks like a lot of money, Wragge, Sims, Franklin and Spikes would be one year deals with the rest based on how much they're asking for. If its not in the range that I would be willing to pay, bye bye.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:20 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz View Post
Would you guys rather take Locker or Some QB this Year or do bad this Season and get this http://i56.tinypic.com/1pvwnt.png ? A Guy I know at another Draft Site made this. I would rather wait for that.
Just one problem. Since Luck is only going to be a Junior in 2011, he can stay in college in 2012 as a senior.

Nice thought but its one I had two months ago and would be good if Luck was going back as a senior in 2011 but thats not the case so its all mute.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post

- While QB is a huge need, depending on who we lose to UFA and if we sign anyone to replace those we lose, going defense in the draft becomes more important because it doesnt matter who your QB is if your defense is giving up 30+ points a game. With that said, there's no UFA QB worth signing. Draft wise, I wouldnt draft any QB at 7 because I dont think any QB is worth the 7th overall draft pick especially if Peterson/Prince/Miller are still on the board. I think that we'll acquire a possible franchise QB via trade or in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft. I personally would trade a 3rd for Packers Matt Flynn. I have no interest in Kolb whatsoever and no way in hell would I trade away anything higher than a 3rd rounder for any other team's backup QB via trade. A 3rd for Flynn is even high but if we draft a QB in round 2 or 3, I would rather trade for Flynn who I think can be good. He just needs the chance. I dont want Kolb who already has a history of concussions and quite honestly, I dont think he's played any better than Flynn. Seriously, Kolb couldnt even outplay a rusty ex-convict. Also, if I remember correctly, the last time we traded with the Eagles for a player, it was Owens for Brandon Whiting. I stay far far away from the Eagles if im Baalke/Harbaugh. Rather have Orton over Kolb but he's due $7.379m in 2011 ($2.879m is guaranteed) plus a $1.5m roster bonus and he'll be an UFA in 2012. $8.8m+ overall is way too much for Orton and since he's getting that much for one season, he'll probably want an average of $8m per season in any contract extension. Add in the draft pick and thats way too much.
That rusty ex-convict probably outplayed 90% of the league. What Vick did this year was amazing.

Though I agree that Kolb sucks a fat one.

RIP ST
Shahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:39 PM    (permalink
hawkeye123
Veteran

hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's almost no chance Luck doesn't come out next year.

He came back this year to finish up his degree.

Also, he will be the #1 pick in the 2012 draft, unless he has a meltdown of a season like Locker....But I find that very unlikely as Luck is loads better then Locker.

Last edited by hawkeye123 : 03-07-2011 at 11:41 PM.
hawkeye123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:42 PM    (permalink
Titansfan123
Rookie

Titansfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titansfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titansfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titansfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titansfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titansfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titansfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titansfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titansfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titansfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titansfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CB isnt the teams biggest need however if peterson falls to 7 we'd have to take him. He is the best player in the draft. If he isnt there then we should definately look at OLB..Miller and Quinn will more then likely both be there personally i like Quinn more they both are great athletes but i think Quinn is a much better pass rusher which is what we need. Personally i think we should stay away from QB in the first 2 rounds...Locker looked like **** at the combine the only QB id take a shot at in the 2nd if he was there was Mallett and thats cuz he has a canon for an arm who cares if he does a lil blow he and there lol ponder i think is a puss and locker just sucks i actually like devlin at the combine maybe grab him in the 3rd
Titansfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:56 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahin View Post
That rusty ex-convict probably outplayed 90% of the league. What Vick did this year was amazing.
Yeah, he did until the playoffs which pretty much eliminates what he did in the regular season. After all, no one remembers the regular season, thay only remember his game ending INT. LOL.

And I guarantee that in 2011, he'll decline because teams will have an entire off-season to watch film of him. Unless, of course there's a lockout but I dont see that happening.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:40 AM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkayeah View Post
Has this been confirmed? Did Fangio say that? I was wondering if Soap could move into the NT if they were playing more of a 2-gap system...

I wonder how Justin would play in such a system though.
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:07 AM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk Man View Post
Why would you rank CB a bigger need then QB or OLB? Not only are they more premium positions, but at least Clements and Spencer are somewhat serviceable. We obviously need to upgrade but those two are way better at their job then Carr, Brooks or Haralson. There's a decent chance we take a CB in the 1st, but its not the biggest need.
Well, Corner and Quarterback are probably on par with eachother- but, just for fun... Yes, I know we only have David Carr, but I don't see anyone rushing out to sign Alex - I think he'll come back.

Even if he doesn't, Harbaugh will almost certainly not go into the season with 'Rookie/Rookie/Carr' on the depth chart, he'll add another veteran - and I think he can get the most out of whoever is under center.

Corner to me, is more important than outside linebacker at this point because of the style of defense that Fangio will want to run. If his dream scenario is anything close to what Capers is running in Green Bay, sure he'll want a Clay Matthews, but he'll NEED a Charles Woodson. The only reason they can get away with that kind of pressure is because they have lock down cover guys - slightly different style, but NYJ is another example.

Someone like Patrick Peterson/Prince Amukamara buys your rushers another second - you could also argue someone like Von Miller takes a second off of pass coverage. But with an aggressive 34 defensive coordinator, you can manufacture a pass rush - sending more folks than they can block -instead of leaning on a Demarcs Ware type freak.

Also, what probably effects my rankings the most is the way I feel like we'll approach the draft. I don't get the sense that Harbaugh is in panic mode about the quarterback situation (has a strong feeling we'll get Alex back? already knows the quarterback he wants to target and will do whatever it takes to get him?). There also happens to be two absolute studs at corner, and i've already explained why I feel it's higher up than outside linebacker.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Milk Man
Rookie

Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Milk Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, Corner and Quarterback are probably on par with eachother- but, just for fun... Yes, I know we only have David Carr, but I don't see anyone rushing out to sign Alex - I think he'll come back.

Even if he doesn't, Harbaugh will almost certainly not go into the season with 'Rookie/Rookie/Carr' on the depth chart, he'll add another veteran - and I think he can get the most out of whoever is under center.

Corner to me, is more important than outside linebacker at this point because of the style of defense that Fangio will want to run. If his dream scenario is anything close to what Capers is running in Green Bay, sure he'll want a Clay Matthews, but he'll NEED a Charles Woodson. The only reason they can get away with that kind of pressure is because they have lock down cover guys - slightly different style, but NYJ is another example.

Someone like Patrick Peterson/Prince Amukamara buys your rushers another second - you could also argue someone like Von Miller takes a second off of pass coverage. But with an aggressive 34 defensive coordinator, you can manufacture a pass rush - sending more folks than they can block -instead of leaning on a Demarcs Ware type freak.

Also, what probably effects my rankings the most is the way I feel like we'll approach the draft. I don't get the sense that Harbaugh is in panic mode about the quarterback situation (has a strong feeling we'll get Alex back? already knows the quarterback he wants to target and will do whatever it takes to get him?). There also happens to be two absolute studs at corner, and i've already explained why I feel it's higher up than outside linebacker.
That's an interesting take on it. It can go both ways though. Pittsburgh is aggressive too and haven't had a lockdown corner since Rod Woodson. They rely more on their LBs. Though they do have Polamalu who has a great affect on the game.

You can probably get away with one and not the other with a good scheme. But you do need one. Either a Matthews/Harrison who can be unblockable, or a Revis/Woodson who can take away half the field as they say. Ideally you have good players at both.

Generally I think OLB has a bigger impact on the game though. They're more important vs the run. Its easier to avoid an elite CB by throwing away from him. Can't really avoid a pass rusher. All you can do is try to double team him. Peterson is the best player in the draft so it would be dumb to pass on him for anyone. I like Prince, but it would be hard to take him over Miller should he be there. I would take him over Quinn though.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:34 PM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
There's almost no chance Luck doesn't come out next year.

He came back this year to finish up his degree.

Also, he will be the #1 pick in the 2012 draft, unless he has a meltdown of a season like Locker....But I find that very unlikely as Luck is loads better then Locker.
Yeah. I think the biggest reason he came back was to get his Degree and he said he would have it by Spring of 2012. So this time next year he will be done with School and should be going through the 2012 NFL Draft process. I am 100000000% Sure he will come out next Year for the 2012 NFL Draft.
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:47 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk Man View Post
That's an interesting take on it. It can go both ways though. Pittsburgh is aggressive too and haven't had a lockdown corner since Rod Woodson. They rely more on their LBs. Though they do have Polamalu who has a great affect on the game.

You can probably get away with one and not the other with a good scheme. But you do need one. Either a Matthews/Harrison who can be unblockable, or a Revis/Woodson who can take away half the field as they say. Ideally you have good players at both.

Generally I think OLB has a bigger impact on the game though. They're more important vs the run. Its easier to avoid an elite CB by throwing away from him. Can't really avoid a pass rusher. All you can do is try to double team him. Peterson is the best player in the draft so it would be dumb to pass on him for anyone. I like Prince, but it would be hard to take him over Miller should he be there. I would take him over Quinn though.
Pittsburgh not only has 2 dominant pass rushers at the OLB position, but they have Polamalu as well, which is another elite playmaker that can help them compensate for not having great CBs.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:47 AM    (permalink
hawkeye123
Veteran

hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dave Razzano's take on Von Miller:

Quote:
"He's got some Vernon Gholston in him," Razzano said, referring to the sixth overall pick of the New York Jets in 2008. Gholston failed to record a sack in 42 games and was released this offseason.

"I'm not a big Von Miller fan," Razzano said. "In looking at Big-12 tape, he does not have a motor. He doesn't chase hard. They run at him, and he doesn't fight off blockers. When he gets sacks, a lot of times he's not getting blocked. He's a one-move guy."
I haven't seen nearly enough film on Miller to agree or disagree with his analysis.

Thoughts?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:45 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Dave Razzano's take on Von Miller:

I haven't seen nearly enough film on Miller to agree or disagree with his analysis.

Thoughts?
I cant agree or disagree since I have barely seen any highlights of him but one thing is for sure - if Razzano's accurate and we draft Miller, we could have Lawson part two which if thats the case, mine as well just re-sign Lawson and draft someone else.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:39 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Razzano can shove it. I have to disagree.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:42 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Razzano can shove it. I have to disagree.
I don't believe Miller is a one-trick pony, workout warrior like Gholston was, but his size does concern me a little for the 3/4. He's been adding weight lately and seems to still be very explosive.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote