Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-15-2012, 02:21 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I can't decide what's worse Ness complaining all season about the Niners winning, or Dan being Dan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Dan being Dan. Look, I've decided for you.
Awesome!!! I prefer to be the most hated pissed off SOB on the ******* planet so if me bitching, moaning and groaning just in the hopes of winning a 6th SB is worse, fine by me.

Quote:
By the way, big name FA receivers usually flop. Brandon Marshall has been okay for the Dolphins though. But he seems to be more so an exception to the rule.
Marshall doesnt exactly have an explosive offense around him either. I dont remember Moss flopping when he was traded to NE and re-signed by them a year later. I dont remember T.O. flopping in Philly or DAL or even BUF and CIN as he did far better than the guy who replaced him in DAL did.

It has nothing to do with big name FA receivers. It has to do with picking the right one and if the team is truly good at scouting, interviewing, assessing, etc., then they will sign the right one, period.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:29 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I can't decide what's worse Ness complaining all season about the Niners winning, or Dan being Dan.
Dan being Dan is my favorite. Just wait till we reach that dead period after free agency and weeks before the draft.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:35 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
I actually don't think we'll make a big splash in FA for a WR. You look at the history of WR FA signings and a lot of them don't really live up to their impact for one reason or another.

To solve the WR problem this offseason...wouldn't be surprised if we re-sign Morgan, Ginn (more for returns), sign someone like Garcon to a reasonable deal, and draft a couple of WR's in the draft (say Kendall Wright R1, Tommy Streeter/Stephen Hill in R3/R4). Before you say this isn't enough...keep in mind all the quality starters we got in FA last year on cheap deals. I think our quality coaching is the X-factor...we just didn't have anyone worthy at WR after Morgan went down..except for Crabs of course. The big money is going to go to our guys.
If big name free agent WR's dont live up to the contract is because they dont fit in or because the player doesnt care. Its all about picking the right guy.

I would let Morgan leave, re-sign Ginn (for returns like you said), keep Crabtree and Williams as our second and slot (third) receiver respectively. I dont see any receiver we draft will be able to start day one and thats what we need. A receiver who can start day one and automatically become our number one receiver because Crabtree will never ever be our number one receiver period.

Garcon is solid but he's not a number one receiver. He's just another number two and we already have that in Crabtree. Plus, Garcon isnt going to demand double coverage like a DeSean/Vincent Jackson, Bowe or Wallace would.

If we can sign a playmaking WR and draft Fleener. We're set on offense for years to come. All we would have to do is find the future behind Gore.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:44 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do not disagree with that high priced WR's in years past have failed. But the class of WR's that is about to hit the market is probably the deepest in the past 10 years. Take a look at the past 5 years of the UFA WR's that have gotten big deals and it was mostly because of a thin market.
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=1...d=16&yr= 2012
Old 02-15-2012, 03:08 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
I do not disagree with that high priced WR's in years past have failed. But the class of WR's that is about to hit the market is probably the deepest in the past 10 years. Take a look at the past 5 years of the UFA WR's that have gotten big deals and it was mostly because of a thin market.
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=1...d=16&yr= 2012
WOW!!! They have Wallace ranked number one overall despite being an RFA. That says it all right there. I'll be happy with any one of the top five and Colston is the only one I wouldnt mind from 6-10.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:58 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dan, I've seen every single Steelers game of Mike Wallace's career, and I can promise you that he is elite at one thing and pretty bad at everything else, and many Steelers fans have grown frustrated with him.

I wouldn't hate Wallace coming here, but at the price he would command, I would hope he would be able to contribute more than a Ted Ginn plus hands minus return skills.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
I actually don't think we'll make a big splash in FA for a WR. You look at the history of WR FA signings and a lot of them don't really live up to their impact for one reason or another.

To solve the WR problem this offseason...wouldn't be surprised if we re-sign Morgan, Ginn (more for returns), sign someone like Garcon to a reasonable deal, and draft a couple of WR's in the draft (say Kendall Wright R1, Tommy Streeter/Stephen Hill in R3/R4). Before you say this isn't enough...keep in mind all the quality starters we got in FA last year on cheap deals. I think our quality coaching is the X-factor...we just didn't have anyone worthy at WR after Morgan went down..except for Crabs of course. The big money is going to go to our guys.
The Colts are petty much set on keeping Garcon and Mathis. I'd be surprised if Garcon even tests the market, unless he just doesn't want to be a Colt anymore.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Marshall doesnt exactly have an explosive offense around him either. I dont remember Moss flopping when he was traded to NE and re-signed by them a year later. I dont remember T.O. flopping in Philly or DAL or even BUF and CIN as he did far better than the guy who replaced him in DAL did.

It has nothing to do with big name FA receivers. It has to do with picking the right one and if the team is truly good at scouting, interviewing, assessing, etc., then they will sign the right one, period.
Moss flopped when he went to Oakland. He had Tom Brady in New England. That is why he was successful. He later flopped in Tennessee and Minnesota.

Owens was not as good in Cincinnati and Buffalo because of the quarterback situation there either. And Miles Austin made letting Owens go actually look smart. They clearly didn't need him, and they still don't to this day. Because Romo is a good passer.

We don't need guys like Owens or Moss, bordering on line of retirement on this team. There are plenty of FA receivers this year that are younger, and that are just as explosive, if not better at this point in time.

All in all this is pointless because Owens and Moss aren't coming here. So you should just stop talking about it.

Quote:
Old 02-15-2012, 07:02 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Dan, I've seen every single Steelers game of Mike Wallace's career, and I can promise you that he is elite at one thing and pretty bad at everything else, and many Steelers fans have grown frustrated with him.

I wouldn't hate Wallace coming here, but at the price he would command, I would hope he would be able to contribute more than a Ted Ginn plus hands minus return skills.
Well, considering his yearly average stats, he must be the best in NFL history at doing just that one thing because you would think that defenses would shut him down by now but yet, they havent.

As for what he would demand, its up to the team that makes him an offer. Granted, he doesnt have to accept it but he doesnt have to decline it either. I still think that he's worth the money more than V. Jackson, Colston, Garcon, Meachem, Manningham and every WR at or past 30.

Quote:
Moss flopped when he went to Oakland. He had Tom Brady in New England. That is why he was successful. He later flopped in Tennessee and Minnesota.

Owens was not as good in Cincinnati and Buffalo because of the quarterback situation there either. And Miles Austin made letting Owens go actually look smart. They clearly didn't need him, and they still don't to this day. Because Romo is a good passer.

We don't need guys like Owens or Moss, bordering on line of retirement on this team. There are plenty of FA receivers this year that are younger, and that are just as explosive, if not better at this point in time.

All in all this is pointless because Owens and Moss aren't coming here. So you should just stop talking about it.
Moss flopped in OAK because well, its OAK. He had an awesome run in NE and his first run in MIN. As for Owens, I was thinking more of Roy Williams who DAL traded for than Austin and Austin didnt do crap until Owens was already gone. And Owens had better stats in BUF and CIN than Roy Williams did. I personally think thats just sad but thats just me.

Sorry, I wouldnt put any of those FA WR's ahead of Owens or Moss in their prime. Moss and Owens can dominate. None of the FA WR's can do that or have shown that ability.

And I didnt mention about wanting either or both now. That was just for the playoff run. Its amazing how you and everyone else seem to miss that part of my damn reply.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Breaking 49ers news from Adam Schefter:
Quote:
SF knows where it needs help: 49ers expected to pursue a free-agent WR and use one of their top draft picks on another WR.
Of course we have known that since about week 15.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:41 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Moss flopped in Oakland because he had Kerry Collins throwing him the ball and then packed it in year 2. If Oakland had half the stability that the Pats had the situation would have worked itself out. NE did the smart thing on Moss and traded him a year early instead of being stuck with him a year too late.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Breaking 49ers news from Adam Schefter:

Of course we have known that since about week 15.
Well, that certainly blows up my mock offseason. I didn't have WR as a need at all.

/sarcasm
Old 02-15-2012, 09:14 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, considering his yearly average stats, he must be the best in NFL history at doing just that one thing because you would think that defenses would shut him down by now but yet, they
Roethlisberger might be the best in NFL History of holding the ball for 15 seconds and waiting for him to get open long.

Stop looking at stats and watch the Steelers.

But Dan... Wallace would be great. he'lll just cost too much. Steelers likely to Tag him anyways.

Last edited by phlysac : 02-15-2012 at 09:19 PM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I saw something that said Jeff Fisher is a fan of Randy Moss, and that the Rams might sign him. I think it was profootballtalk
Old 02-16-2012, 07:59 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Moss flopped in OAK because well, its OAK. He had an awesome run in NE and his first run in MIN. As for Owens, I was thinking more of Roy Williams who DAL traded for than Austin and Austin didnt do crap until Owens was already gone. And Owens had better stats in BUF and CIN than Roy Williams did. I personally think thats just sad but thats just me.

Sorry, I wouldnt put any of those FA WR's ahead of Owens or Moss in their prime. Moss and Owens can dominate. None of the FA WR's can do that or have shown that ability.

And I didnt mention about wanting either or both now. That was just for the playoff run. Its amazing how you and everyone else seem to miss that part of my damn reply.
Wait, so when Moss flops in Oakland it's because it's Oakland and he had nothing to do with it? The fact of the matter is that he was also at fault as well giving up on the team and often appeared unmotivated. Oakland has been a doormat for some time there, but that isn't an excuse not to live up to your contract by simply refusing to try very hard when the team isn't winning.

Everyone was questioned whether the Dallas offense would be able to function without Owens. And not surprising they did, because when you have a good quarterback that is a good passer, you can get around not having a top ten receiver. This is why you don't build around receivers in the first place. Regardless of who it was, the Dallas offense didn't miss a beat. And Miles Austin was buried on the depth chart, because the folks in front of him didn't necessarily do anything to lose their job until down the road and that is when Austin finally got his chance and he hasn't looked back.

You say that any of the FA receivers haven't been able to dominate games like Moss and Owens did in their primes. Newsflash Dan, but Owens and Moss aren't in their prime anymore. You seem to be delusional and think otherwise. Keep holding on to that pipe dream though. Like I said, it doesn't matter. They aren't coming here and you aren't getting your way, so you might as well get the **** over it.

Quote:
Old 02-16-2012, 08:02 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Moss flopped in Oakland because he had Kerry Collins throwing him the ball and then packed it in year 2. If Oakland had half the stability that the Pats had the situation would have worked itself out. NE did the smart thing on Moss and traded him a year early instead of being stuck with him a year too late.
Yeah, not interested in a has-been, one/two year rental that is going to pack it in when the going gets tough.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2012, 09:17 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hope everyone appreciates just how great this guy is and how lucky we are to have him.....

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niner...46&feedID=5884
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:56 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Hope everyone appreciates just how great this guy is and how lucky we are to have him.....

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niner...46&feedID=5884
We just have to get him a Super Bowl now.

Quote:
Old 02-21-2012, 12:58 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Looks like the Chiefs may be letting Brandon Carr walk and most likely place the franchise tag on Bowe.

Quote:
The Kansas City Chiefs on Monday signed cornerback Stanford Routt, whom the Raiders recently discarded.

It's a move that is significant to the 49ers, too.

As ProFootballTalk pointed out, this likely means the Chiefs will not place the franchise tag on outstanding cornerback Brandon Carr. The Chiefs will likely fork over the expected $9.4 million figure to tag receiver Dwayne Bowe, instead.

So Bowe is another significant wide receiver who will probably not be on the open market for the 49ers to explore.

And without Bowe available, it might drive up the prices for the other receivers, most notably Vincent Jackson.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niner...60&feedID=5884

Quote:
Old 02-21-2012, 02:33 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Thats why I go after WR Mike Wallace for a five year front loaded deal that PIT cant match for the 30th overall draft pick.

I dont want to see us sign some crappy receiver or average receiver thinking he's going to be awesome. SF must sign a top tier receiver who can be the number one starter at WR on the outside. I'm actually hoping that some team gives up a 2nd for Grant so we can trade a 2nd and our 3rd to move back into the first if necessary for TE Coby Fleener. Then, I would trade Walker to the highest bidder.

I honestly dont think any of this will happen but im hoping because the team has two year window to try to win a SB because after the 2013 season, they have a decent amount of free agents including a good amount of starters.

Niners need to go all out to improve the offense. Defense wise, re-signing Brooks is the main priority and then Goldson. If we can keep ten of eleven starters on defense (Rogers being the exception) and add more offensive weapons with our kicker/punter/special teams, running game and defense, we should be better than this past season but the number one need has to be a top tier WR in FA and draft another receiving weapon.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:28 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Thats why I go after WR Mike Wallace for a five year front loaded deal that PIT cant match for the 30th overall draft pick.

I dont want to see us sign some crappy receiver or average receiver thinking he's going to be awesome. SF must sign a top tier receiver who can be the number one starter at WR on the outside. I'm actually hoping that some team gives up a 2nd for Grant so we can trade a 2nd and our 3rd to move back into the first if necessary for TE Coby Fleener. Then, I would trade Walker to the highest bidder.

I honestly dont think any of this will happen but im hoping because the team has two year window to try to win a SB because after the 2013 season, they have a decent amount of free agents including a good amount of starters.

Niners need to go all out to improve the offense. Defense wise, re-signing Brooks is the main priority and then Goldson. If we can keep ten of eleven starters on defense (Rogers being the exception) and add more offensive weapons with our kicker/punter/special teams, running game and defense, we should be better than this past season but the number one need has to be a top tier WR in FA and draft another receiving weapon.
You know high valued free agent receivers almost always never work out right? Temper your expectations. Philadelphia got the best corner on the market this past year and he underperformed.

And Braylon Edwards didn't do ****.

Rogers was not seen as a highly valued commodity when we got him and look what happened.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 02-21-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:37 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
You know high valued free agent receivers almost always never work out right? Temper your expectations. Philadelphia got the best corner on the market this past year and he underperformed.

And Braylon Edwards didn't do ****.

Rogers was not seen as a highly valued commodity when we got him and look what happened.
A few things -

1) Edwards sucks and doesnt have the work ethic and conditioning to make up for it.

2) Asomugha is STILL the best cover corner in the league but its not his fault if PHI was stupid and decided to play him in this wide 9 or zone crap or whatever crap they were running. You dont take the best cover corner in the league and have him play zone. I'm not in the NFL and im intelligent enough to realize that when you sign/draft/trade (for) a player, you're supposed to use that player to the best of his ability and strengths while also hiding his weaknesses the best you can. PHI did the opposite with Asomugha.

3) Rogers excelled in a scheme that he fit and because of the front seven. He's 31 and I guarantee that if we pay him, he'll be Clements part two. If you're going to pay a player a lot of money and a long term deal, far better to sign a 25 year old who's just hitting his prime with a lot more upside and potential.

And while everyone here says that signing high profile receivers rarely works, I would to see a list of that last 5-8 years proving that because majority of top tier receivers dont leave their original team to begin with.

As for Wallace, I think that he'll do as good or better than what he did in PIT and here's why - Jim Harbaugh. He took Smith and made him play to his strengths while hiding his weaknesses. Wallace will not only get better and improve but Harbaugh will use him to his strengths and trust me, I have enough confidence in Harbaugh to make Wallace look like a top ten receiver if not better. Wallace has the speed, skill, talent, playmaking ability, work ethic, youth and team concept that makes him a rare breed. If you're going to take a chance on a WR, he's the best bet especially compared to guys like Bowe, Jackson and Colston because they're older and once they get their huge contract, they're done. Wallace would get a big contract but in five years, he could get an even bigger contract or an extension before then. That will motivate him. Being on a damn good team like SF will be great and not having an egomaniac like Roethlisberger will also help him.

People will blame Smith but he had no problems finding Davis when he was open. He'll find Wallace. Add Fleener and bam, our offense improves dramatically and drastically. No rookie WR at 30 is going to come in and start from day one. Those two or three guys will be gone long before we draft at 30 and quite honestly, a rookie receiver isnt what we need. We need a receiver who has already established himself, can start from day one and be our playmaker. Wallace to me is that guy and for the 30th overall draft pick, he would be a steal and far more valuable rookie because by the time the rookie becomes good, it wont matter because half our team will be UFA's and some will be gone and who's going to replace them? More rookies? That just means more rebuilding or whatever.

49ers have a chance and if the Cardinals get Manning and he plays half as good as he's been, we're in trouble. 49ers cant be chicken ***** and do nothing. Look at our 2013 off-season, we wont have the team that we have now. I would say that we have a two year window before the team has to rebuild and regroup some positions.

Going into 2012 with the receivers that we have now, some rookies or some average free agent receiver (ala Bryant Johnson, Brandon Jones, etc.) isnt going to improve our offense whatsoever.

I'm not looking for every major FA. Just Wallace and re-signing Smith, Brooks and Goldson will make me happy going into the draft. A backup like Jason Allen or Carriker or whoever would be great too but im not concerned about them. 49ers number one need is a top tier playmaking WR and thats what they better get if they sign a FA WR because otherwise, I just dont see the point.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:50 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm starting to think that the WR Baalke is going to target is going to be Colston. He's that big-bodied receiver they've searching for, and he'll be in that second level price range of the FA WRs.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:36 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
I'm starting to think that the WR Baalke is going to target is going to be Colston. He's that big-bodied receiver they've searching for, and he'll be in that second level price range of the FA WRs.
Well, I've been saying this for a while now. He's really the best fit for this offense and there isn't a FA out there that I want more.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:19 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
A few things -

1) Edwards sucks and doesnt have the work ethic and conditioning to make up for it.

2) Asomugha is STILL the best cover corner in the league but its not his fault if PHI was stupid and decided to play him in this wide 9 or zone crap or whatever crap they were running. You dont take the best cover corner in the league and have him play zone. I'm not in the NFL and im intelligent enough to realize that when you sign/draft/trade (for) a player, you're supposed to use that player to the best of his ability and strengths while also hiding his weaknesses the best you can. PHI did the opposite with Asomugha.

3) Rogers excelled in a scheme that he fit and because of the front seven. He's 31 and I guarantee that if we pay him, he'll be Clements part two. If you're going to pay a player a lot of money and a long term deal, far better to sign a 25 year old who's just hitting his prime with a lot more upside and potential.

And while everyone here says that signing high profile receivers rarely works, I would to see a list of that last 5-8 years proving that because majority of top tier receivers dont leave their original team to begin with.

As for Wallace, I think that he'll do as good or better than what he did in PIT and here's why - Jim Harbaugh. He took Smith and made him play to his strengths while hiding his weaknesses. Wallace will not only get better and improve but Harbaugh will use him to his strengths and trust me, I have enough confidence in Harbaugh to make Wallace look like a top ten receiver if not better. Wallace has the speed, skill, talent, playmaking ability, work ethic, youth and team concept that makes him a rare breed. If you're going to take a chance on a WR, he's the best bet especially compared to guys like Bowe, Jackson and Colston because they're older and once they get their huge contract, they're done. Wallace would get a big contract but in five years, he could get an even bigger contract or an extension before then. That will motivate him. Being on a damn good team like SF will be great and not having an egomaniac like Roethlisberger will also help him.

People will blame Smith but he had no problems finding Davis when he was open. He'll find Wallace. Add Fleener and bam, our offense improves dramatically and drastically. No rookie WR at 30 is going to come in and start from day one. Those two or three guys will be gone long before we draft at 30 and quite honestly, a rookie receiver isnt what we need. We need a receiver who has already established himself, can start from day one and be our playmaker. Wallace to me is that guy and for the 30th overall draft pick, he would be a steal and far more valuable rookie because by the time the rookie becomes good, it wont matter because half our team will be UFA's and some will be gone and who's going to replace them? More rookies? That just means more rebuilding or whatever.

49ers have a chance and if the Cardinals get Manning and he plays half as good as he's been, we're in trouble. 49ers cant be chicken ***** and do nothing. Look at our 2013 off-season, we wont have the team that we have now. I would say that we have a two year window before the team has to rebuild and regroup some positions.

Going into 2012 with the receivers that we have now, some rookies or some average free agent receiver (ala Bryant Johnson, Brandon Jones, etc.) isnt going to improve our offense whatsoever.

I'm not looking for every major FA. Just Wallace and re-signing Smith, Brooks and Goldson will make me happy going into the draft. A backup like Jason Allen or Carriker or whoever would be great too but im not concerned about them. 49ers number one need is a top tier playmaking WR and thats what they better get if they sign a FA WR because otherwise, I just dont see the point.
I'm not reading your entire post that most likely deviates from the main point I was telling you based on what I skimmed. The situation really isn't that complicated Dan. Free agent receivers haven't performed very well for the teams that pay them top dollar. History proves this as fact. Again, temper your expectations. I can list more if you'd like. You can provide the excuses as to why they failed as well.

Quote: