Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 04-04-2012, 01:49 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
I'm not saying that the results will be the same, but everyone was saying last year that we needed someone to come in after we let Takeo go. But we had Bowman to take his place and the staff knew what they had in him. Maybe it is the same situation with Snyder and Kilgore???
I remember Mike Sando writing that the 49ers viewed Bowman as a Jon Beason type of playmaker. I thought they were crazy if it was true, but 1 all-pro year later, here we are. Barrows also wrote this

Quote:
The 49ers' intent is to have a veteran compete with second-year player Daniel Kilgore for the starting job this summer.
Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/#storylink=cpy

Which makes it seem like we don't want a rookie, but Kilgore starting, and just want a veteran backup as insurance. Considering our activity at OG this year (letting Snyder and Rachal go, slow-playing the OG market), i would guess that we have a good level of confidence in Kilgore as a starter, and just want depth. So i agree with the points VAFY made above. And if this is true, you could knock OG off the big needs and make it a depth priority, which truly means we're able to go BPA.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:34 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

after re-watching last seasons highlights, i think goldson deserves a fat contract

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was watching this Kirk Cousins video, but all I keep seeing are B.J. Cunningham highlights:

He makes Cousins look like a competent QB, and the more I watch, the more I like.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:42 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I was watching this Kirk Cousins video, but all I keep seeing are B.J. Cunningham highlights:

He makes Cousins look like a competent QB, and the more I watch, the more I like.
im a BJ fan (whoa) as well.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:45 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought the Niners 2005 Draft class was pretty bad with only Gore being productive from the class, as Alex was underachieving for many years, Baas having one good season in a walk year, and Snyder being ok as a fill-in lineman with nobody else really contributing to the team long term. BUT, the 2008 draft class took the cake.

Barrow pointed out that with Reggie Smith's signing with the Panthers, there is not much left departure of the 49ers' dubious 2008 draft class. The most productive member of that class, receiver Joshua Morgan, signed with the Redskins last month and though Grant played well last year, he was originally cut and brought back from the Rams after he developed.

2008 draft class
Rd 1 DE Kentwan Balmer
Rd 2 G Chilo Rachal
Rd 3 S Reggie Smith
Rd 4 C Cody Wallace
Rd 5 pick forfeited for tampering
Rd 6 WR Joshua Morgan
Rd 7 LB Larry Grant

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/#story...#storylink=cpy

How pathetic this group turned out to be. It's amazing that the Niners have as much talent on their roster as they do with how putrid this class was overall and the fact that they almost all aren't even on the team anymore, making sure there aren't any long term starters from the group.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:58 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

i really wanted Kenny Phillips instead of Balmer that year and Desean in the 2nd. :(

Old 04-04-2012, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
i really wanted Kenny Phillips instead of Balmer that year and Desean in the 2nd. :(
Yes, I was in the Phillips camp as well or someone else besides Balmer. When they drafted him, I was scratching my head and tried to buy in but really couldn't. I now understand why.

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 04-04-2012, 10:35 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
I thought the Niners 2005 Draft class was pretty bad with only Gore being productive from the class, as Alex was underachieving for many years, Baas having one good season in a walk year, and Snyder being ok as a fill-in lineman with nobody else really contributing to the team long term. BUT, the 2008 draft class took the cake.

Barrow pointed out that with Reggie Smith's signing with the Panthers, there is not much left departure of the 49ers' dubious 2008 draft class. The most productive member of that class, receiver Joshua Morgan, signed with the Redskins last month and though Grant played well last year, he was originally cut and brought back from the Rams after he developed.

2008 draft class
Rd 1 DE Kentwan Balmer
Rd 2 G Chilo Rachal
Rd 3 S Reggie Smith
Rd 4 C Cody Wallace
Rd 5 pick forfeited for tampering
Rd 6 WR Joshua Morgan
Rd 7 LB Larry Grant

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/#story...#storylink=cpy

How pathetic this group turned out to be. It's amazing that the Niners have as much talent on their roster as they do with how putrid this class was overall and the fact that they almost all aren't even on the team anymore, making sure there aren't any long term starters from the group.
Both 08 and 09 were mediocre drafts at best. We got Morgan, Grant, Crabtree, RJF, and Boone from those 2 years. 2 decent starters (1 who's already left the team), and 3 backups. Also keep in mind that besides Crabtree, these are all late-rounders/UDFA's. Both years included huge wastes of draft picks like Balmer, Rachal, Wallace, and Coffee. Reggie Smith was nothing special either. I thought he could take the next step in 2011 but he didn't. I wish him well but i think he's a career backup, and i'd like someone with a bit more potential as our 3rd Safety. I'm excited to see what Spillman, Jones, Nelms (2011 UDFA) or a rookie can do as our backups.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:42 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
so were like 99% of the Niner fan posters haha

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:58 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
so were like 99% of the Niner fan posters haha
Meh. Lots of revisionist history going on here. I remember Quinton Groves being the popular choice that year.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:45 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wanted Phillips that year and I remember that crap. I was stuck at work listening to the Draft on the radio. I missed who the 49ers picked and had to wait until I got home. When I saw who it was, I was so pissed and disappointed. And it is amazing that the team has as much talent as it does despite that horrible draft from 2008 and an average 2009 draft.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:33 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Nelms (2011 UDFA) or a rookie can do as our backups.
I'd forgotten about Nelms. He needs to get bigger if he hasn't already. A 6' 190lb safety isn't going to cut it.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Baalke draft a conversion or two this year. Passing league translates to tall, physical CBs playing safety.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:37 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Source: Gregg Williams instructed Saints during speech to injure Niners offensive players
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...ounty_0 40412

Just makes that win vs the Saints that much sweeter.

Link to audio by Gregg Williams the night before the Saints/49ers playoff game. Nice to see karma still exists.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fhnn9kbqQUA

Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? : 04-05-2012 at 04:03 AM.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:47 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm excited to see what Spillman, Jones, Nelms (2011 UDFA) or a rookie can do as our backups.
Not sure if SF can depend on Jones as a backup at safety. Baalke said that Jones is going to play some WR at OTA's because they still aren't sure where he fits on offense or defense. I don't see Nelms moving to safety. He nearly made the roster out of camp at corner and I think he has the best chance out of Holcomb and Cox to take Spencer's roster spot on the 53 man.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:54 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
Source: Gregg Williams instructed Saints during speech to injure Niners offensive players

Link to audio by Gregg Williams the night before the Saints/49ers playoff game. Nice to see karma still exists.
That audio of Wiliiams' speech is crazy! It makes me even happier that we won!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:30 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Good luck with those appeals today Saints! LOVE the timing.

Yes, I was going to post this. Makes me sick. I know football is a borderline gladiator sport but this is over the line. There is enough incidental violence as it is for us to all be plenty entertained. Players shouldn't need this kind of motivation. It DOES make you further understand why someone like Gore wants his money so badly when he has a chance to get it though.

SOOO glad the Niners beat the crap out of the Saints that day. Where's the postgame audio file of him pissing and moaning, using racial slurs, calling the defensive players horrible things? :)

Old 04-05-2012, 01:44 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

its funny how he says "they're gonna be shocked at our physicality" and pierre thomas goes to sleep in the first quarter hahahhaha **** you saints

Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

they were pretty much paying a bounty for things that the niners were doing all season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post...opposing-backs

Old 04-05-2012, 03:02 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just watched PFT Live and saw the quotes and heard the audio of what Gregg Williams said. What a POS of a human being. Its one thing when players get injured because of the game itself and its just something that happens but to intentionally injure players who are human beings trying to earn and make a living for themselves and their families. Williams didnt cross the line, he erased it. He should never ever be allowed back period.

And I would love to hear the speech Fewell gave before the Giants game in regards to Kyle Williams. I wouldnt be surprised if he said something about going after Williams' head.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:53 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Both 08 and 09 were mediocre drafts at best. We got Morgan, Grant, Crabtree, RJF, and Boone from those 2 years. 2 decent starters (1 who's already left the team), and 3 backups. Also keep in mind that besides Crabtree, these are all late-rounders/UDFA's. Both years included huge wastes of draft picks like Balmer, Rachal, Wallace, and Coffee. Reggie Smith was nothing special either. I thought he could take the next step in 2011 but he didn't. I wish him well but i think he's a career backup, and i'd like someone with a bit more potential as our 3rd Safety. I'm excited to see what Spillman, Jones, Nelms (2011 UDFA) or a rookie can do as our backups.
I still think R. Smith has a ton of potential. But as a guy who campagin for him all last off-season as player who could fill the void at FS if Goldson walked, he just flat out blew last year when his number was called. Who knows what would have happended had he not gotten hurt during TC because all the talk early in was how good he looked. He had the same injury Braylon had and he was so bad after the injury we released him so maybe the injury had something to do with it but it is what it is. Wish the kid the best.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:01 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not sure if SF can depend on Jones as a backup at safety. Baalke said that Jones is going to play some WR at OTA's because they still aren't sure where he fits on offense or defense. I don't see Nelms moving to safety. He nearly made the roster out of camp at corner and I think he has the best chance out of Holcomb and Cox to take Spencer's roster spot on the 53 man.
They moved Nelms to safety last year during the regular season. I'll try to find the link to the article but I remember reading about it. I think he's listed as a "DB" instead of "CB" as a result
Old 04-05-2012, 04:12 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
They moved Nelms to safety last year during the regular season. I'll try to find the link to the article but I remember reading about it. I think he's listed as a "DB" instead of "CB" as a result
They still list him as CB on sf49ers.com but Barrows had a few tidbits:
02/07 blog:
Quote:
changed another youngster's position - that of Cory Nelms - from cornerback to safety. Nelms, an undrafted rookie in 2011, put on about 10 pounds during the season.
02/01 blog:
Quote:
Practice squad player Cory Nelms, who spent training camp as a cornerback, is now being eyed as a safety although he could be asked to switch when the numbers at both positions are better settled.

Did not know he packed on that much weight. Be interesting to see where he stands after the draft.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:28 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
They still list him as CB on sf49ers.com but Barrows had a few tidbits:
02/07 blog:

02/01 blog:

Did not know he packed on that much weight. Be interesting to see where he stands after the draft.

Yea, he was a back-up safety at Miami so not really a big surprise.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:31 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

EPIC

Old 04-05-2012, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Good sell on Kilgore by the team with the .com article from today:

http://www.49ers.com/news-and-events...2-7c3ce92569ef