Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-07-2009, 01:45 AM    (permalink
Fogcity_faithful
Rookie

Fogcity_faithful hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Here's an idea -

Sign Suggs to play OLB and if we can get him for a steal, Robinson to start at CB and move Smith to FS.

Then, draft the best available RT at 10 and there ya go.
If it happens this way i would be floored as well as stoked.
Fogcity_faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:10 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Suggs wants to stay in Baltimore and talked about taking a discount to stay. So I highly doubt he comes here. Robinson may get tagged by Hou. So I dont see either guy leaving.

What do you guys think about Huff when/if he is cut?
I think he could be a nice compilation prize if we miss out on Atogwe.
He struggled in Oakland but does anyone hold that against him?
woodyx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyx02 View Post
Suggs wants to stay in Baltimore and talked about taking a discount to stay. So I highly doubt he comes here. Robinson may get tagged by Hou. So I dont see either guy leaving.

I would love Huff, but I doubt we go after him after signing Williams.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:38 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Really? If we signed Williams at the minimum, I can't see too much downside to having two projects at FS to work with...
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:26 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think they'll make him an offer. If they do, great; if not, don't be shocked if he ends up in like Dallas, as he is from Irving.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:12 PM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

My dream (yet realistic) off-season:

Free Agency:

1. Oshiomogho Atogwe, S from the Rams
Causes lots of TOs, starts at FS.

2. Leonard Weaver, FB from the Seahawks
Good runner, blocker and receiver.

3. Nate Washington, WR from the Steelers
Deep threat that could compete to start.

NFL Draft (W/the assumption that we will receive a 5th and 6th round compensation pick):

1. BJ Raji, NT Boston College
We've needed a Nose Tackle since moving to the 3-4. Stars from day one. Still worth the pick even in the 4-3.

2. Connor Barwin, OLB Cincinnati
Huge project who could be a huge steal. Platoons with Haralson while developing.

3. Jason Watkins, OT Florida
You can't lead the league in sacks and not address the OL. But JTO is much to blame and a year with Snyder at RT would still make us competitive. Watkins starts in a year or two.

4. Curtis Painter, QB Purdue
Sits as the third QB, but hopefully will start in the future. Good backup if Smith develops. Low risk.

5a. Andy Kemp, OG Wisconsin
Or the best OG available. Good fit for a power run game though. Will be the forth OH behind Rachel, Baas and Wragge.

5b. Morris Wooten, ILB Arizona St.
Move Brooks outside and develop Wooten to play next to Willis after Spikes is gone. LB core: OLBs: Lawson, Haralson, Barwin and Brooks ILBs: Willis, Spikes, Ulbrich and Wooten.

6a. Gartrell Johnson, RB Colorado St.
Big, underrated RB who could push for a spot on the 53 man roster.

6b. Jeremy Navarre, DE Maryland
Depth on the Dline. Most likely on the practice squad.

7. Quinten Lawrence, WR McNeese St.
Future deep threat, but needs to develop.

This is all subject to change once the combine and pro days help sort these guys out.

What do you all think?

Last edited by thediggler3030 : 02-09-2009 at 11:23 PM.
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Isnt Floyd a RFA? If so, I'd hate to give up picks for him.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:22 PM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Isnt Floyd a RFA? If so, I'd hate to give up picks for him.
Hmm, good call. my post has been updated.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediggler3030 View Post
Hmm, good call. my post has been updated.
Ot needs to be adressed before round three.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:36 AM    (permalink
Fogcity_faithful
Rookie

Fogcity_faithful hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think Huff would be a good signing at the minimum if he wanted to come play here. I think he was used incorrectly in that defense and given a shot could be a good acquisition. And the williams signing does not change the chances too much
Fogcity_faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:37 AM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

Quote:
Ot needs to be adressed before round three.
I disagree. According to Yahoo.com, O'Sullivan was sacked 32 times in 9 games. In the 8 games Hill started, he was sacked 21 times. Not amazing, but Hill also showed his ability to deal with those sacks. Hill only lost 2 fumbles, vs. O'Sullivan's 6.

Projected over a full season we would allow 42 sacks with Hill starting. That would rank us still 9th worst in the league. Keep in mind this is with Mike Martz calling the plays and a line that never really had time to gell with JTO playing.

But we also only recorded 30 sacks while on defense, and have done little to improve that. Haralson cannot be our best passrusher forever.

I think given time with a real QB and OC, our line could easily play better on its own. Watkins played well in the Senior Bowl and has experience at RT. Snyder is good enough to start and Simms can still act as an adequate back up. If not, I would still have confidence playing a third round 2-year starter from the SEC Offensive Tackle on the right side.

That being said, I would not be opposed to switching the OLB and the RT in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I just think we have neglected out passrush in both drafts and FA year in and year out. Other than Lawson what have we really invested there? Banta-Cain and a few middle rounders? COME ON!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:34 AM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I agree JT maybe took a lot of sacks and made the O-line look worse then it is. But its not just about pass protection. If the Niners want to be a run 1st team they have to improve the RT position and get a strong mauler-type RT in there. The rest of the line is/will be very good. I like Haralson at OLB more then I like Simms or Snyder at RT. I personally would put a pass rushing OLB 4th on the need list behind RT, Dominant NT aka Raji (he is the only player I would look at for this position), and FS.
woodyx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:04 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyx02

Wouldnt mind signing Huff but at a good cheap price. I wanted him back in 2006 more than Vernon Davis.

As for Suggs, what he says and does are two very different things. I'm just hoping that BAL tags Lewis so we can at least have a shot at going after him.

The Jordan Gross situation is going to be interesting because CAR can only tag him or Peppers and from what I read, Gross is going to take a wait and see approach.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 AM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Frankly, in the Suggs matter, all we've got going for us is the Sing. factor. What he says and what he does might be different but neither of those involve SF.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

I don't think we have a shot at Suggs. They'll tag Suggs, let Lewis do whatever and either re-sign Suggs or trade him.

As for Peppers and Gross, I don't have an interest in Peppers. He's a 4-3 DE and I don't have confidence in his ability to pass cover nor do I think it would be wise to pay him to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL at his age. Carolina will probably tag Gross and let Peppers go.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:18 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I don't think we have a shot at Suggs. They'll tag Suggs, let Lewis do whatever and either re-sign Suggs or trade him.

As for Peppers and Gross, I don't have an interest in Peppers. He's a 4-3 DE and I don't have confidence in his ability to pass cover nor do I think it would be wise to pay him to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL at his age. Carolina will probably tag Gross and let Peppers go.
I can not imagine Carolina letting Peppers just walk. The value he can bring back in a trade is too much to pass up.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
I can not imagine Carolina letting Peppers just walk. The value he can bring back in a trade is too much to pass up.
Yeah, I didnt think to say that they could re-sign Gross, tag Peppers and just trade him to the highest bidder.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:27 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised. The 49ers have been, in the past, quick to sign or try to sign players they have had past interest in the draft i.e. Darnell Bing, Jimmy Williams, and Kareem Brown.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised. The 49ers have been, in the past, quick to sign or try to sign players they have had past interest in the draft i.e. Darnell Bing, Jimmy Williams, and Kareem Brown.
They did have him behind Vernon on their big board when they were drafting, so it's a possibility. It seems to be that everyone feels he was improperly used in Oakland but how much that has hurt his development/confidence is beyond me.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:57 AM    (permalink
FrankGore
Rookie

FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's my big board for this team:

1 - Matt Stafford
2 - Eugene Monroe
3 - Aaron Curry
4 - Andre Smith
5 - Michael Crabtree
6 - BJ Raji
7 - Brian Orakpo
8 - Michael Oher
9 - Everettte Brown
10 - Mark Sanchez

I think the team would be happy to get any one of those guys...Sanchez being a sort of last option at #10 if all the other guys are gone, but not a bad one. Any one of those guys other than the QBs and Crabtree would either help the team get bigger/better in the trenches or improve the pass rush which are continuing needs for this team.

Free agency targets:
1. OJ Atogwe - I have a feeling he'll be an early target for us. I'd like to give Goldson and Smith an opportunity to duke it out but when a ballhawk like this is available, and we have the money, it's hard to pass. Smith can remain at corner and Goldson can be a platoon guy.

2. Vernon Carey - We'll give it a shot, but the money may be out of our desired range. Someone may ask him to play left tackle and pay him accordingly.

3. A fullback. I'm having a hard time deciding whether the team should go with an older, pure power blocking FB (Neal, Richardson) or a younger guy who can also tote the ball (Weaver). Weaver would be a good guy to give a few carries...Rathman may help him actually. That'd be a fine signing. It killed me when he burned us for two huge TDs last year.

4. Mark Tauscher - Not the best long term option at RT, but a good enough one to play well for a couple years until we can groom another solution. This would free us up to take Raji or a pass rusher in the early 1st.

I think that's about it for realistic, good targets for me. The team doesn't need to do a ton in FA. Just a few smart moves here and there and then get whatever they still need in the draft.
FrankGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediggler3030 View Post
I disagree. According to Yahoo.com, O'Sullivan was sacked 32 times in 9 games. In the 8 games Hill started, he was sacked 21 times. Not amazing, but Hill also showed his ability to deal with those sacks. Hill only lost 2 fumbles, vs. O'Sullivan's 6.

Projected over a full season we would allow 42 sacks with Hill starting. That would rank us still 9th worst in the league. Keep in mind this is with Mike Martz calling the plays and a line that never really had time to gell with JTO playing.

But we also only recorded 30 sacks while on defense, and have done little to improve that. Haralson cannot be our best passrusher forever.

I think given time with a real QB and OC, our line could easily play better on its own. Watkins played well in the Senior Bowl and has experience at RT. Snyder is good enough to start and Simms can still act as an adequate back up. If not, I would still have confidence playing a third round 2-year starter from the SEC Offensive Tackle on the right side.

That being said, I would not be opposed to switching the OLB and the RT in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I just think we have neglected out passrush in both drafts and FA year in and year out. Other than Lawson what have we really invested there? Banta-Cain and a few middle rounders? COME ON!
Watch the Miami game and tell me we don't need a top RT.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:01 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Dare I ask?
Quote:
The National Football Post's Mike Lombardi believes that it's only become a matter time of before Terrell Owens is an ex-Cowboy.
I know McCloughan shot down Nolan when he brought up the idea of going after TO. I wonder if Singletary would take the chance? It is pretty tempting.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Dare I ask?

I know McCloughan shot down Nolan when he brought up the idea of going after TO. I wonder if Singletary would take the chance? It is pretty tempting.
I would rather start a basket of dog **** at WR.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The bridge is burned. TO needs to ride off into the sunset and do reality TV programs for the next 10 years.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:30 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Considering the fact that T.O. is my favorite player and despite his age is still an elite WR in the league, I would love to have T.O. back in a 49ers uniform but it's not going to happen for three reasons -

1) We're in no way, shape or form a SB contender so why would any veteran player want to come here, especially T.O.???

2) With Garcia looking more and more likely to not re-sign with TB, there's a chance that we may go after him and if we sign him, I highly doubt that we'll be seeing a Garcia-T.O. reunion evn though it would be funny as hell.

T.O. - hey rat, throw me the ball
Garcia - fine, here ya go jackass

LOL.

3) None of the above matters because DAL isnt releasing or trading him because doing so would cause an $8m cap hit and cosidering the fact that Jerry Jones wants to sign Ware to a blockbuster long term deal, taking an $8m cap hit isnt going to help matters. Besides, subtract T.O. and aside from Witten, the Cowboys have no threats in the passing game. Roy Williams sucked plain and simple and if he cant kick ass with T.O. opposite him and Witten at TE, how can anyone expect him to do a damn thing without T.O. opposite him.

Plus, T.O. isnt the only problem. There are other players there that are the problem and Romo is one of them. Unlike T.O., Romo doesnt have half the work ethic that T.O. has and after his trip with Jessica Simpson, how anyone can complain about T.O. and NOT Romo is beyond me.

Bottom line is that T.O. isnt going anywhere.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote