Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 09-04-2012, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

By the way I had a dream the 49ers blew out Green Bay in Lambeau and Alex Smith had one of his career games or something like that. Weird.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:55 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I purchased 2K3 for PS2 a few minutes ago. Hopefully, the roster update I downloaded from codejunkies.com is the final roster update that was released in January 2003. I know 2K3 is a decade old but it solves my football fix for the time being. Once the NFL season is over, I'll sell the old bulky first generation PS3 that I have since I use that for NFL Sunday Ticket and will purchase an old bulky PS2 so I can get the hard drive for it and be able to watch the halftime, postgame and in-game highlights instead of photos. 2K5 was ahead of its time and while not perfect, its STILL the best football video game of all-time. Sadly, Madden should have surpassed it already but quite honestly, I dont think that it ever will because EA/Tiburon quite simply dont care about the consumers. :(

I was hoping that 2K would return in two years when the exclusive license deal expires but with M13 selling 900,000 copies total last Tuesday, I dont see that happening either. :(
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:56 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
By the way I had a dream the 49ers blew out Green Bay in Lambeau and Alex Smith had one of his career games or something like that. Weird.
Awesome dream bud. Surprised though...considering how you feel about Alex, your dream would be him throwing 3 INTs, costing us the game and you lynching the guy.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Awesome dream bud. Surprised though...considering how you feel about Alex, your dream would be him throwing 3 INTs, costing us the game and you lynching the guy.
Yes, it's truly my dream to see Alex Smith fail just so I can groan.

Quote:
Old 09-04-2012, 02:19 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Yes, it's truly my dream to see Alex Smith fail just so I can groan.
Nice, we're both being sarcastic. LOL.

Seriously though, I think we can beat GB and even if we lose, as long as its within single digits, I wont be too upset since its in GB. If we get blown out, I'll be pissed.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:20 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Like I said, there is a reason why people slight him as a game manager and he only got a three year deal. The front office even went after Peyton Manning. How genuine is their faith in Alex? Is he even making more money than Flynn? I don't think money was even an issue for Alex personally, it was the commitment factor to him according to Matt Barrows who believes Alex was initially disappointed in the faith from the 49ers. Of course Alex came back because no one else was going to pay him and he didn't want to be in another system again. He had no choice but to take a three year deal.

So obviously I'm not the only one that believes he isn't the key to the franchise or might not ever be one. And as a 49ers fan, I don't think I should be entitled to put lipstick on a pig just because they are my team. Dashon Goldon is a decent safety, but I'm not going to holler that he deserves All Pro honors because he plays for the 49ers.

As for my objectivity, I don't know what you want me to say that would be aesthetically pleasing to your ears. Watching Alex play last year, he improved, but I wasn't that impressed with his performances from week to week. The team is better, but I'm still going to need a world of convincing to change my opinion on the matter. I'll support him if he does well, but if he doesn't I will bust his balls for it. I have that right as a fan that won't simply get on my knees just because he happens to be on the team.

I'm just passing the notion that Alex may be apart of the problem. I believe I've stating my feelings on the offensive line a while back. Some quarterbacks have an ability to make their offensive lines look worse or better though. Our right guard position was terrible and Anthony Davis wasn't that great along with Goodwin. Regardless, I've seen quarterbacks with worse offensive lines look fantastic. So it's a wild card for me.

The rushing numbers on third and short were bad, but that is irrelevant for passing the ball on third down. I'm not talking about third and short. I'm talking about third and long when your quarterback needs to get you a conversion and move the chains instead of taking a sack or overthrowing a wide open receiver. The Cowboys also sucked on third downs, and their offensive line sucks. Yet Romo still played well every season because of his natural ability as a passer. Which is why Dallas still ranked 8th in the league on third down conversions through the air despite their problems on the offensive line and converting on third and short via the ground.
I know this is from like a week ago but felt the need to comment. The problem you and most fans have with Alex is he's not "sexy" as a QB. There's not much "wow" factor in his play. In this new look NFL, fans would rather you look good losing than to look ugly winning. And that's the honest truth for some. The fact is Alex Smith is a good QB. We could do a lot worst.

The thing about Alex is his greatest strength, and it IS a great strength, is also his biggest weakness. He is extremely cautious, to a fault at times, but he will not panic/choke and throw the ball up for grabs trying in desperation to thread a needle into a rock. Unlike almost all other QBs in the league, and certainly unlike most who are considered 'elite' in this game, Smith doesn’t force throws and that drives fans crazy. But as a fan, nothing drives me more crazy as forcing the ball and throwing INTs. One of the first thing Harbaugh's teaches his QB's is to value the football. It's a big sticking point with him.

He only had one healthy receiver last year in Crabtree. And Crabs is more of a glorified possession receiver. He doesn't scare a opposing secondary. Pretty much after Morgan went down year last year, all any team had to do was double cover Crabs and VD on any 3rd & long the team faced. But instead of trying to be the Greatest American Hero every 3rd down, Alex kept his head, threw the ball away or took the check-down. Everyone booed, but the team lived to see another series. And Alex has shown that he CAN take chances when he absolutely has to – his many 4th quarter wins, and not just the ones from last year, show that – but overall he stays calm, runs plays and protects the ball.

Last year’s defense was excellent, but they were also helped very much by almost never being forced to defend a short field, almost always facing an offense backed up deep in their own territory needing to drive the whole field, and much of that was because Smith didn’t panic on 3rd down and throw INTs, desperately trying to “make a play”. Excellent special teams/punt coverage was a big part of that too, but that doesn’t work if the QB is throwing INTs.

Smith is not a superstar and he doesn’t throw impressive darts all over the field, but he has clearly shown that he is a calm, collected, intelligent player who can run an offense under pressure and hit open receivers; it’s on the coaching staff to design and call plays that will work and on the receivers to actually get open. If those two things improve, so will the 3rd down stats. Staying calm under pressure is one of the most important traits a QB can have, and it cannot be taught. It doesn’t always look pretty, and it can lead to lots of punts and grumbling, but like it or not Smith has proven time & again that he has that trait, and it was that ability to keep his head as much any other single thing that happened on the field that lead to a 14 – 4 record last year. (Which of course would certainly have been a 15 – 4, or possibly a 16 – 3 record if Kyle Williams had done even a high schoolers job against the Giants. Smith didn’t flub those punts, and his team was winning the game late in the 4th quarter when K-10 screwed up the first one, and they were holding their own – not panicking/choking – in overtime, until Williams killed them again.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 09-05-2012 at 09:54 PM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

I'm not the biggest Alex Smith fan in the world but I would rather have him as our QB instead of the following starters from other teams -

Mark Sanchez (NYJ)
Ryan Fitzpatrick (BUF)
Ryan Tannehill (MIA)
Andy Dalton (CIN)
Brandon Weeden (CLE)
Matt Schaub (HOU)
Jake Locker (TEN)
Andrew Luck (IND)
Blaine Gabbert (JAX)
Carson Palmer (OAK)
Matt Cassell (KC)
Peyton Manning (DEN)
Robert Griffin (WSH)
Michael Vick (PHI)
Jay Cutler (CHI)
Christian Ponder (MIN)
Matt Ryan (ATL)
Josh Freeman (TB)
Cam Newton (CAR)
Sam Bradford (STL)
John Skelton (ARZ)
Russell Wilson (SEA)

To me, Smith is at least a top 10 QB. He's already proven himself compared to this year's rookies, isnt injury prone like others, isnt coming off a career threatening injury and doesnt suck like others. Is Smith elite? No, but he's good and if Harbaugh and company take the chains off of him and just let him play, I think that he would surprise a lot of people.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
I know this is from like a week ago but felt the need to comment. The problem you and most fans have with Alex is he's not "sexy" as a QB. There's not much "wow" factor in his play. In this new look NFL, fans would rather you look good losing than to look ugly winning. And that's the honest truth for some. The fact is Alex Smith is a good QB. We could do a lot worst.

The thing about Alex is his greatest strength, and it IS a great strength, is also his biggest weakness. He is extremely cautious, to a fault at times, but he will not panic/choke and throw the ball up for grabs trying in desperation to thread a needle into a rock. Unlike almost all other QBs in the league, and certainly unlike most who are considered 'elite' in this game, Smith doesn’t force throws and that drives fans crazy. But as a fan, nothing drives me more crazy as forcing the ball and throwing INTs. One of the first thing Harbaugh's teaches his QB's is to value the football. It's a big sticking point with him.

He only had one healthy receiver last year in Crabtree. And Crabs is more of a glorified possession receiver. He doesn't scare a opposing secondary. Pretty much all year last year, most any team had to do was double cover Crabs and VD on any 3rd & long the team faced last year. But instead of trying to be the Greatest American Hero every 3rd down, Alex kept his head, threw the ball away or took the checkdown. Everyone booed. But the team lived to see another series. And Alex has shown that he CAN take chances when he absolutely has to – his many 4th quarter wins, and not just the ones from last year, show that – but overall he stays calm, runs plays and protects the ball.

Last year’s defense was excellent, but they were also helped very much by almost never being forced to defend a short field, almost always facing an offense backed up deep in their own territory needing to drive the whole field, and much of that was because Smith didn’t panic on 3rd down and throw INTs, desperately trying to “make a play”. Excellent special teams/punt coverage was a big part of that too, but that doesn’t work if the QB is throwing INTs.

Smith is not a superstar and he doesn’t throw impressive darts all over the field, but he has clearly shown that he is a calm, collected, intelligent player who can run an offense under pressure and hit open receivers; it’s on the coaching staff to design and call plays that will work and on the receivers to actually get open. If those two things improve, so will the 3rd down stats. Staying calm under the biggest pressure is one of the most important traits a QB can have, and it cannot be taught. It doesn’t always look pretty, and it can lead to lots of punts and grumbling, but like it or not Smith has proven time & again that he has that trait, and it was that ability to keep his head as much any other single thing that happened on the field that lead to a 14 – 4 record last year. (Which of course would certainly have been a 15 – 4, or possibly a 16 – 3 record if Kyle Williams had done even a high schoolers job against the Giants. Smith didn’t flub those punts, and his team was winning the game late in the 4th quarter when K-10 screwed up the first one, and they were holding their own – not panicking/choking – in overtime, until Williams killed them again.
Couldn't have said it better myself
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:03 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I already have some 12 packs riding on the game this weekend. I have faith in this team to get things started off right. Harbaugh won't have them fearing anything, especially not the Packers. DB's need to step it up and have a strong game, the Niners need to put TDs instead of FGs on the board, control the clock and they'll win the game.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:31 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:

He only had one healthy receiver last year in Crabtree. And Crabs is more of a glorified possession receiver. He doesn't scare a opposing secondary. Pretty much all year last year, most any team had to do was double cover Crabs and VD on any 3rd & long the team faced last year. But instead of trying to be the Greatest American Hero every 3rd down, Alex kept his head, threw the ball away or took the checkdown. Everyone booed. But the team lived to see another series. And Alex has shown that he CAN take chances when he absolutely has to – his many 4th quarter wins, and not just the ones from last year, show that – but overall he stays calm, runs plays and protects the ball.

Smith is not a superstar and he doesn’t throw impressive darts all over the field, but he has clearly shown that he is a calm, collected, intelligent player who can run an offense under pressure and hit open receivers; it’s on the coaching staff to design and call plays that will work and on the receivers to actually get open. If those two things improve, so will the 3rd down stats. Staying calm under the biggest pressure is one of the most important traits a QB can have, and it cannot be taught. It doesn’t always look pretty, and it can lead to lots of punts and grumbling, but like it or not Smith has proven time & again that he has that trait, and it was that ability to keep his head as much any other single thing that happened on the field that lead to a 14 – 4 record last year. (Which of course would certainly have been a 15 – 4, or possibly a 16 – 3 record if Kyle Williams had done even a high schoolers job against the Giants. Smith didn’t flub those punts, and his team was winning the game late in the 4th quarter when K-10 screwed up the first one, and they were holding their own – not panicking/choking – in overtime, until Williams killed them again.
Sorry I see it differently. It's not about being sexy for a quarterback. I can do without the 4,500 yards passing and 35-40 touchdowns. Steve McNair and Troy Aikman were never this. Yet they had very good careers, one of them a Hall of Famer. You felt confident going into a game with them at the helm.

The problem with playing the "safe" game is that sooner or later when you need to rely on your defense to play lights out all the time, things will crumble. You shouldn't count on a defense combined with special teams play every single season giving you a bunch of turnovers and field position. That isn't a gameplan. You need to have an offense that executes. The game is skewed towards offensive production to a ridiculous degree. And we see it every season who is in the Super Bowl. Franchise quarterbacks. Quarterbacks that have seven year contracts, not three year ones. The guy that you know will always give you a chance to win if the defense has an off day or someone fumbles twice. The guy that can bail you out.

I will say Alex deserves the benefit of the doubt heading into this season. As he did bail out the 49ers a few times last season when he had to. My thing is, why wait until the very last quarter of the game to do that? The offense as a whole needs to start putting up better production and blowing more opponents out. The defense can't carry the load all the time.

But really, you need that guy that can bring you back when it just seems like chaos is happening around. The line isn't blocking that well, the defense is having an off day, and receivers aren't getting off of coverage. You need someone that comes through despite everything going against them. The guys that make it look easy.

Alex has a chance to build himself up here and turn his career around, but until he does I'm going to remain skeptical for the long term. He gets the benefit of the doubt heading into the year though like I said. He's not a bad quarterback. But he's not a great one either, and your best chance of getting a Super Bowl as we've seen time and time again is someone that has the potential to be considered great in the court of public opinion. Yes we could be a lot worse, but why would I be concerned about that? We could be a lot better too at that position. We'll see.

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 09-04-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:13 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Sorry I see it differently. It's not about being sexy for a quarterback. I can do without the 4,500 yards passing and 35-40 touchdowns. Steve McNair and Troy Aikman were never this. Yet they had very good careers, one of them a Hall of Famer. You felt confident going into a game with them at the helm.

The problem with playing the "safe" game is that sooner or later when you need to rely on your defense to play lights out all the time, things will crumble. You shouldn't count on a defense combined with special teams play every single season giving you a bunch of turnovers and field position. That isn't a gameplan. You need to have an offense that executes. The game is skewed towards offensive production to a ridiculous degree. And we see it every season who is in the Super Bowl. Franchise quarterbacks. Quarterbacks that have seven year contracts, not three year ones. The guy that you know will always give you a chance to win if the defense has an off day or someone fumbles twice. The guy that can bail you out.

I will say Alex deserves the benefit of the doubt heading into this season. As he did bail out the 49ers a few times last season when he had to. My thing is, why wait until the very last quarter of the game to do that? The offense as a whole needs to start putting up better production and blowing more opponents out. The defense can't carry the load all the time.

But really, you need that guy that can bring you back when it just seems like chaos is happening around. The line isn't blocking that well, the defense is having an off day, and receivers aren't getting off of coverage. You need someone that comes through despite everything going against them. The guys that make it look easy.

Alex has a chance to build himself up here and turn his career around, but until he does I'm going to remain skeptical for the long term. He gets the benefit of the doubt heading into the year though like I said. He's not a bad quarterback. But he's not a great one either, and your best chance of getting a Super Bowl as we've seen time and time again is someone that has the potential to be considered great in the court of public opinion. Yes we could be a lot worse, but why would I be concerned about that? We could be a lot better too at that position. We'll see.

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
No one is saying to depend on the defense to bail you out. But there were plenty of instances last year of Alex bailing out the defense, twice in the Saints game as I recall. It works hand and hand. You don't think Alex being smart with the ball and almost never putting the defense up against a short field had a lot to do with their success? I do.

What I'm saying is, considering the pieces he had to work with on offense last year, he played admirably. As the scheme and skill players on the outside improves, so should Alex. And the fact reminds, Alex has improved EVERY year he's been in the league. The length of his contract has as much to do as the guy behind on the depth chart, as it does with his own abilities. But doesn't equate to him being less of a QB because of the deal we offered. The most important thing is Alex plays QB the way Jimbaugh wants his QBs to play. And that's why this team should be successful going foward....because the QB is an extension of the HC.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 09-05-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:48 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to VAfy-ya again
Old 09-05-2012, 12:49 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Troy Aikman had the best offensive line in the history of the NFL. A HOF WR and the NFL's all-time leading rusher.

I feel confident going into a game with Alex Smith at the helm.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:12 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Depth chart was released today

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-s...59&feedID=5936

Moss and Crabs are starters at WR. Perrish Cox moves ahead of Tramaine Brock at CB. For all the offseason and TC praise Ginn was getting, he's third string, behind Moss and Manningham. Trenton Robinson is backup SS to Whitner, ahead of McBath.

Other than that, no real surprises.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:14 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Troy Aikman had the best offensive line in the history of the NFL. A HOF WR and the NFL's all-time leading rusher.

I feel confident going into a game with Alex Smith at the helm.
Okay? You still have to make plays as a passer. Having talent around you isn't enough. That's why guys like Jaime Martin still sucked when he would come in for Marc Bulger when Bulger got hurt despite having Bruce, Holt, and Jackson in the backfield. This is why Chiefs fans still feel edgy because of the presence of Cassel despite having playmakers around him. And McNair did have Eddie George, but he didn't have the best line in the NFL, or a dominant receiving corps, but he was still an elite player at his position for quite some time.

Quote:
he length of his contract has as much to do as the guy behind on the depth chart, as it does with his own abilities. But doesn't equate to him being less of a QB because of the deal we offered.
Completely disagree. Honestly that sounds like a cop out to me. When and if you have a franchise quarterback at Alex's age, you lock him up long term. Doesn't matter who is behind him or who might be drafted next season. If you have a player that shows an ability to dominate at the quarterback position you do your best to lock him up long term. Even San Diego offered Brees a 5 year deal after his breakout campaign in 2004 and 2005 despite having spend a first round pick on Philip Rivers. Brees didn't like the deal obviously because of stuff between the lines, but the fact of the matter is San Diego made an attempt to offer a guy that showed the ability to dominate more than a 3 year deal. They were just concerned about Brees' potential injury concerns.

Like I implied earlier, Alex has been okay thus far. I don't want him to fail. I'd like to succeed. I'm not saying he can't do that or can't do this. But he needs to take the next step in my eyes to earn my respect as a fan. He's not there yet. I will say that everything is in place for him to succeed and be a better quarterback than we saw last year.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 09-05-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:15 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Okay? You still have to make plays as a passer. Having talent around you isn't enough. That's why guys like Jaime Martin still sucked when he would come in for Marc Bulger when Bulger got hurt despite having Bruce, Holt, and Jackson in the backfield. This is why Chiefs fans still feel edgy because of the presence of Cassel despite having playmakers around him.
Robb Johnson in Jacksonville.
AJ Feely and Kevin Kolb in Philadelphia
Matt Flynn in Green Bay
heck, even Steve Bono in San Francisco.

They all played at an extremely high level until they moved on to other teams and systems.

It's easy to cherry-pick examples to benefit your own side of an argument.

One thing I can tell you is that strong systems and supporting casts have never made a QB perform at a LESSER level.

Last season was the first season in which Smith had any semblence of both during his career.

Just be clear, that once again you're holding Alex Smith to a VERY high standard. In attempt to say "even a 'game-managing' type QB can play at elite levels" you compare him to Troy Aikman (a Hall of Fame Quarterback with three Super Bowl titles, and played in the same system the majority of his career) and Steve McNair (a former NFL MVP whom played in the same system for the majority of his career.)

Last edited by phlysac : 09-05-2012 at 06:19 AM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:23 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Hey guys.....I have an offer to make you.....

Stop the Alex Smith debate and I'll never mention you know who here again?

What do you say guys?

Let's just enjoy the games and hope that the 49ers have a great season. :)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:46 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Matt Flynn in Green Bay

They all played at an extremely high level until they moved on to other teams and systems.

One thing I can tell you is that strong systems and supporting casts have never made a QB perform at a LESSER level.

Last season was the first season in which Smith had any semblence of both during his career.

Just be clear, that once again you're holding Alex Smith to a VERY high standard. In attempt to say "even a 'game-managing' type QB can play at elite levels" you compare him to Troy Aikman (a Hall of Fame Quarterback with three Super Bowl titles, and played in the same system the majority of his career) and Steve McNair (a former NFL MVP whom played in the same system for the majority of his career.)
Thank You. It took Steve Young YEARS to get to the point where Bill Walsh was confident in him as a QB in his system. Of course he had The G.O.A.T in front of him on the depth chart, but we're talking about years of weeding out bad habits and re-training Young to function as a QB in the WCO. Its a process. If Young didn't have Montana as a guide and example of what to do as well as one of the greatest offensive minds in the history of the game, if he had been thrown to the wolves like Alex was early on, you think he has the career he had?

Alot of a player's success in this game revolves around talent but even more of it revolves around circumstance. A marginal player, in the right system and coaching can look worlds better than a far more talented player in a questionable system with inferior coaching. It's no coincidence that only times Alex has looked like a good QB in this league(from my perspective anyway) is when he had competent coaching on the offensive side of the ball.....last year under Jimbaugh and 2006 under Norv Turner. The job Jimbaugh did with Alex last year was exceptional. It may not have been pretty, but under the circumstances, we can look back on it and marvel at the genius of it all.

His deal doesn't change my perception of him as a QB. It may change his value around the league but lets be clear, as much as I love CK's potential, Alex is clearly the better QB right now. He may be the better QB next year as well. If we didn't have Alex, how would you feel heading into this year, with our schedule and and our expectations? Don't equate business with football X's and O's.

Baalke gave Alex the deal he was worth at the time. Because perception is reality in the NFL. Doesn't mean he believes Alex can't out-play his current deal either. He's had one successful season in the eyes of those around the league. And even though most of those failures were not solely his alone, Baalke could play hardball with Alex. He was offered a deal accordingly. That doesn't mean two years from now, we're not back at the bargaining table with Alex holding all the cards. You give Alex two more years with Jimbaugh and this staff and we'll be having a totally different conversation. And there will be some tough decisions to for Harbaalke to make when that time comes.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 09-05-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:36 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to VAfy-ya again
QFT (10 char)
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:16 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Alex Smith, some people think I love him. I love his story, I love him as a person (nh), but I don't see him as a QB who can carry a team. LUCKILY, we don't need that right now, we need someone who can be smart, lead the Offense, and not make mistakes...he's perfect for this team. He's a great leader, and he's become incredibly clutch. He makes plays when you absolutely need them.

When the D starts getting old or ineffective and we need a QB who can carry a team for numerous games in a row, it will be time to replace Alex...he'll never be that guy, he plays too safe.

Now, if he never had those shoulder injuries..who knows, but "it is what it is".
Old 09-05-2012, 01:37 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Matt Flynn in Green Bay

Right, but those players you listed didn't really have a huge body of work where they played pretty much an entire season. (I think Johnson played one game before he got that big deal from Buffalo) and had they played for an extended amount of time even within the same system, I have a feeling their true colors. The jury is still out on Flynn though.

I merely picked several examples out of many in that scenario to support what I was saying. And while Aikaman and McNair had a bunch of accolades, they still weren't big time statistic monsters. One had a ridiculous supporting cast and the other a decent one. And it did take time for both of them playing in the same system to get to where they were. That's what I'm saying about Alex now. He's at a crossroads. At this point in time, as a fan, I'm not going to bow down and pretend like he's MVP material or show the ability to dominate a game from the first quarter to the last against a decent team...which he hasn't done yet. I think some of you folks are giving him WAY too much credit for right now. Not saying he won't improve or can't do this or that in the future, but as of right now, in my eyes, he still has a lot to prove. And I don't see what is wrong with holding the QB position up to a high standard. The 49ers have had great quarterback play for years. I'm just supposed to brush that under the rug because it's a different regime and different situation?

Quote:
Baalke gave Alex the deal he was worth at the time. Because perception is reality in the NFL. Doesn't mean he believes Alex can't out-play his current deal either. He's had one successful season in the eyes of those around the league. And even though most of those failures were not solely his alone, Baalke could play hardball with Alex. He was offered a deal accordingly. That doesn't mean two years from now, we're not back at the bargaining table with Alex holding all the cards. You give Alex two more years with Jimbaugh and this staff and we'll be having a totally different conversation. And there will be some tough decisions to for Harbaalke to make when that time comes.
Right, he's telling Alex and everyone else what the franchise values him at right now. They don't value him as a dominate quarterback that would get locked up for 5 to 7 years during this moment. They value him as a decent option that might be replaceable in the near future. They also had leverage from the get-go, because Alex wouldn't dare go to another team to try and learn yet another offensive system. Especially after the 49ers made the playoffs. But you're right, that doesn't mean a couple of years from now that Alex doesn't get extended or doesn't get that mega deal that all of the high profile QB's have gotten. If Alex elevates his game he'll probably get that kind of offer.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 09-05-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seriously I think the Alex Smith horse has been dead for a long time can we please keep it out of here or start a thread for it.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:25 PM    (permalink
Swoll_Cat
Rookie

Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Swoll_Cat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WTF you gotta be kidding me. i literally just lost what respect i had for this Jeff Risdon fool.

check this out, its one thing to pick the packers and texas this weekend, but laying chalk on the pack to smash the 9ers by 19 and texans to only beat miami by two scores is some straight Bull****

to boot this noob went 176-80 last year. after those two i just stopped reading the article.

Quote:
Last season: 176-80, my best season yet.

Sunday Games

Sunny Game of the Week:

San Francisco at Green Bay: Green Bay’s defense absolutely stunk last season. They aggressively sought out improvements in the draft, using their first three picks on immediate contributors in Nick Perry, Jerel Worthy, and Casey Hayward. They also get healthy returns from a couple of colossal disappointments of a year ago, BJ Raji and Tramon Williams, both of whom were more bothered by nagging injuries than they let on. I strongly believe the Packers defense is going to come out and make a statement in front of the home fans. It helps that I don’t think the Niners offense is going to be very good, with a beyond-his-prime Frank Gore, a well-beyond-his-prime Randy Moss, and Alex Smith coming off a career year he won’t come close to replicating. I like Green Bay to throw down the hammer and pronounce they are the team to beat by pounding San Francisco, a trendy Super Bowl pick with a great defensive front that figures to offer a stiff challenge. Look for Aaron Rodgers to attack early and often and the Packers defense to score a first half TD. Green Bay 29, San Francisco 10.

Miami at Houston: One of my weekly features is my survivor game fantasy pick of the week. You know, the contest where you pick one winner every week but you cannot pick the same team more than once all season. I was strongly considering using the Texans here, and this is probably the safest way to go, but there’s something strangely unpredictable about the Dolphins that makes me pause. I think their defense might give a rusty Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson some issues, and Miami should be able to rush the passer some. If they can force some turnovers and keep Arian Foster from more than one double-digit run, they’ve got a chance to keep Ryan Tannehill in the game. Alas, I have a real hard time seeing a rookie QB with this middling receiving corps playing under a rookie head coach playing on the road against a defending division champion pulling off the upset. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the season’s first run-on sentence and a Texans 24-10 opening win.
Swoll_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:53 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...eason-preview/

Season preview of 2012 49ers by NY Times. He does like our D, ST's, coaching, and overall talent and depth level. He also thinks our O is too predictable (hint- he's not a big Alex fan).

Bottom line, he predicts 1st place NFC West. Article was published today so its at least recent and relevant.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:53 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sonofabitch, you all need the season to start.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote