Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 10-24-2012, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a fan, I'm not concerned about the offseason issues with this team and it's personnel. I'd like to have Goldson come back and I think he's earned his money, but other than that it's a long way from now and I'm more concerned about the ****** offense at this point. Especially the passing attack. LOL "attack".

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:14 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Switching gears for a second, I was interested in what everyone thoughts are on the draft this year. Personally, I think we'll go heavy on defense. I think probably our first four picks will be defensive players. I believe Brown, Ice, Tukafau, Brock, Gooden, Cox, Haralson, Haggans, RJF and Goldson are all UFA after this season.

I think Goldson has earned his money. I don't know what else the guy has to prove but I think he's clearly a Top 5 safety. Pay the man Trent.

I can see Ice returning at the right price. I really want RJF to come back. He's such a versatile guy in a odd front, he can play all 3 positions. I would even go as far as to say I'd take RJF over Ice if I had to choose one. I dont think they use him nearly enough. He should be a rotational guy upfront in the nickel.

Don't see Brown coming back. Not with Cully waiting in the wings and the contract they just gave Rogers. Brown will get a nice little payday on the open market, far more than what he's worth. Alot teams in the market for a good #2 CB.

Not sure if they try to extend Cox. He hasn't played bad in limited snaps but I dont know if he's done enough to convince Baalke he should stay. He's has added value on STs and with Brown sure to leave, might not be a bad idea to try a throw a little bit of money his way for a guy who knows your scheme and is still young and improving.

As for the rest, don't think they will be brought back. Brock maybe because his speed is needed on STs but he might have visions of a bigger role as a CB elsewhere. I think we need some more guys who can get after the QB so I think beefing up the OLBs will be a priority in the draft.

And all though he's on offense, I'd like to add that I really hope they bring back Kyle Williams. He's looked great the few times the ball has gone his way this season. I think he has massive potential if we ever get the QB position running at maximum efficiency. And do we shell out the money to keep Delaine? Decisions, decisions....
Here are our free agents after 2012 and my thoughts -

-RB Brandon Jacobs (bye bye)
-WR Randy Moss (bye bye)
-WR Ted Ginn (bye bye)
-TE Delanie Walker (would let him leave as an UFA)
-OG Leonard Davis (bye bye)
-NT Isaac Sopoaga (would let him leave as an UFA)
-NT Ricky Jean Francois (would definitely re-sign and yes, over Sopoaga)
-OLB Clark Haggans (bye bye, still trying to figure out why we kept him over Bkahtari)
-ILB Larry Grant (would love to re-sign to be our third ILB/special teamer but I think that he'll leave as an UFA)
-ILB Tavares Gooden (would re-sign to be our third ILB/special teamer)
-CB Tramaine Brock (would re-sign to be our dime back/special teamer)
-FS Dashon Goldson (would definitely re-sign)
-SS Darcel McBath (bye bye)

Agree with you about Goldson and RJF. Would definitely re-sign RJF over Sopoaga. In fact, I would let Sopoaga leave as an UFA.

Brown, Cox and Kyle Williams wont be UFA's until after the 2013 season.

Would let Walker leave as an UFA. He just hasnt played as well this year as he did last year and think that he'll cost too much money to keep.

Draft wise, that all depends on who we re-sign and what happens in free agency.

I can see a few players like Alex Smith, Parys Haralson and Carlos Rogers being salary cap cuts. Personally, I would release all three come February. Team is going to need the money for 2014 and paying a few of these ineffective, old, injury prone declining players isnt smart when there's younger and better players that will need to be re-signed.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:31 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
I can see a few players like Alex Smith, Parys Haralson and Carlos Rogers being salary cap cuts. Personally, I would release all three come February. Team is going to need the money for 2014 and paying a few of these ineffective, old, injury prone declining players isnt smart when there's younger and better players that will need to be re-signed.
If you haven't seen how valuable Parys Haralson is by him being absent this season, I ask that you rewatch the games. He is an absolute stud in the run game, and his presence allows for Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks to get needed breathers as pass rushers.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:01 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac
If you haven't seen how valuable Parys Haralson is by him being absent this season, I ask that you rewatch the games. He is an absolute stud in the run game, and his presence allows for Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks to get needed breathers as pass rushers.
Agree but he'll cost over $2.5m to be a backup and thats just too much money to pay a 29 year old who's coming off of IR and who'll most likely be allowed to leave in 2014 when he's 30 anyway.

Harbaugh/Baalke should have kept Bkartari as the third OLB and released Haggans. Haggans is useless and a waste of a roster spot. At this point, Bkahtari is definitely better than Haggans and could have been the guy to give Smith/Brooks a rest.

As for our run defense, I would say thats more on our offense or lack there of. If we could score more points, teams would have to pass against us instead of running and this wouldnt be an issue. Could try using Grant against the run to give Brooks/Smith plays off. Just a thought.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:02 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Here are our free agents after 2012 and my thoughts -

-RB Brandon Jacobs (bye bye)
-WR Randy Moss (bye bye)
-WR Ted Ginn (bye bye)
-TE Delanie Walker (would let him leave as an UFA)
-OG Leonard Davis (bye bye)
-NT Isaac Sopoaga (would let him leave as an UFA)
-NT Ricky Jean Francois (would definitely re-sign and yes, over Sopoaga)
-OLB Clark Haggans (bye bye, still trying to figure out why we kept him over Bkahtari)
-ILB Larry Grant (would love to re-sign to be our third ILB/special teamer but I think that he'll leave as an UFA)
-ILB Tavares Gooden (would re-sign to be our third ILB/special teamer)
-CB Tramaine Brock (would re-sign to be our dime back/special teamer)
-FS Dashon Goldson (would definitely re-sign)
-SS Darcel McBath (bye bye)

Agree with you about Goldson and RJF. Would definitely re-sign RJF over Sopoaga. In fact, I would let Sopoaga leave as an UFA.

Brown, Cox and Kyle Williams wont be UFA's until after the 2013 season.

Would let Walker leave as an UFA. He just hasnt played as well this year as he did last year and think that he'll cost too much money to keep.

Draft wise, that all depends on who we re-sign and what happens in free agency.

Forgot about McBath and Grant. I think McBath is worth keeping around. Another young guy, has potential. Should be better with another year in the system. Grant is gone. He could be starting somewhere else and make a ton of money doing it.

Phlysac was dead on about Haralson. His absence is one of the main reasons our sack totals are down. We're still getting good pressure, but we haven't been getting the QB on the ground as frequent as last season. As back-ups go, you wont find a better 3-4 OLB in the league better than Haralson. He did a great job last year and with him, Aldon, and Brooks, we had a nice 3-headed monster to provide outside pressure. And seeing as he's only due 2.5 mil next year, I dont see him going anywhere. That's chump change really.

Both Brock and Ian Williams are RFA. Williams will be tendered. I'm almost certain of that. Brock Im not sure. Remember we have Michael Thomas waiting in the wings who I heard the defensive staff is really high on. He could possibly step into Brock's role next year.

Actually now that I've researched the numbers, We seem to be in pretty good shape next year. And not to mention we have a ton of depth and a bevy of draft picks to play with. Goldson and Delaine are the only real core guys who hit the market and one of them, if not both will be re-signed. And Willis cap number drops from 17.5 all the way down to 3.5 mil in 2013. That's probably why they chose to franchise Goldson and wait on his long-term deal to hit the cap until 2013. Smart.....

What we do after the 2014 season will be quite interesting though. I'm sure some key players will be re-signed earlier but as of now, all these guys a UFA after the 2014 season...

Frank Gore
Alex Smith
Colin Kaepernick
Michael Crabtree
Aldon Smith
Anthony Davis
Mike Iupati
Chris Culliver
Kendall Hunter
Bruce Miller
Daniel Kilgore
CJ Spillman
Brian Jennings
Garrett Celek

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 10-25-2012 at 12:28 AM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:26 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Agree but he'll cost over $2.5m to be a backup and thats just too much money to pay a 29 year old who's coming off of IR and who'll most likely be allowed to leave in 2014 when he's 30 anyway.

Harbaugh/Baalke should have kept Bkartari as the third OLB and released Haggans. Haggans is useless and a waste of a roster spot. At this point, Bkahtari is definitely better than Haggans and could have been the guy to give Smith/Brooks a rest.

As for our run defense, I would say thats more on our offense or lack there of. If we could score more points, teams would have to pass against us instead of running and this wouldn't be an issue. Could try using Grant against the run to give Brooks/Smith plays off. Just a thought.
How is Bakhtiari better than Haggans? What exactly did he do in his very limited snaps while Haggans was suspended for you to come to this conclusion? The guy can't set the edge well enough to be a viable back-up. He's not stout enough in the run game....that's why he's never stuck on a NFL roster. How can he 'clearly be better' than Haggans when you've seen neither player take a meaningful snap of defense for this team(i.e not pre-season)? I'll trust Baalke and Fangio on this one. I wasn't a big fan of signing Haggans but he has been a starter on some pretty good defensive units so I don't have a problem with going with a vet like him for a year until we can add some better depth.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:09 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Which is only $1.6 million higher than the league minimum for an 8-year vet.

He's a stud, and you don't want to pay him a million more than the minimum? Having an accomplished backup at little money is a luxury. His recovery from injury is important, however.

Last edited by phlysac : 10-25-2012 at 10:14 AM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:59 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
How is Bakhtiari better than Haggans? What exactly did he do in his very limited snaps while Haggans was suspended for you to come to this conclusion? The guy can't set the edge well enough to be a viable back-up. He's not stout enough in the run game....that's why he's never stuck on a NFL roster. How can he 'clearly be better' than Haggans when you've seen neither player take a meaningful snap of defense for this team(i.e not pre-season)? I'll trust Baalke and Fangio on this one. I wasn't a big fan of signing Haggans but he has been a starter on some pretty good defensive units so I don't have a problem with going with a vet like him for a year until we can add some better depth.
Bakhtari is younger and has a far bigger upside and can play special teams which to me makes him far more valuable and better than Haggans. Haggans has only played in one game out four and was suspended for the other three. He's a waste of a roster spot in my opinion. The only reason he's still on the roster is because he played in Arizona the last four years and since he knows their offense and defense, he should be able to help us offensively and defensively but other than that, I dont see the point in keeping him over Bakhtari. Bakhtari has never been given a fair chance and even when he was on the team, he wasnt even used. Who knows, he could have at the very least maybe replaced Costanzo on special teams which in itself makes him better and valuable than Haggans. To each his own though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Which is only $1.6 million higher than the league minimum for an 8-year vet.

He's a stud, and you don't want to pay him a million more than the minimum? Having an accomplished backup at little money is a luxury. His recovery from injury is important, however.
A better idea would be to draft two OLB's, one who's mainly good at stopping the run and the other rushing the passer. Haralson is also coming off an injury and by the time the regular season rolls around next year, it would be almost two years since he played in a game that meant something. With other players who'll be UFA's in 2014 and 2015, I just dont see the point in wasting that amount of money on a backup when there are other cheaper younger and healthier options available as well as other players who are easily more important to re-sign.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dan...I have to admit, almost 90% of your posts I just skip.

Quote:
Old 10-25-2012, 04:14 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Forgot about McBath and Grant. I think McBath is worth keeping around. Another young guy, has potential. Should be better with another year in the system. Grant is gone. He could be starting somewhere else and make a ton of money doing it.

Phlysac was dead on about Haralson. His absence is one of the main reasons our sack totals are down. We're still getting good pressure, but we haven't been getting the QB on the ground as frequent as last season. As back-ups go, you wont find a better 3-4 OLB in the league better than Haralson. He did a great job last year and with him, Aldon, and Brooks, we had a nice 3-headed monster to provide outside pressure. And seeing as he's only due 2.5 mil next year, I dont see him going anywhere. That's chump change really.

Both Brock and Ian Williams are RFA. Williams will be tendered. I'm almost certain of that. Brock Im not sure. Remember we have Michael Thomas waiting in the wings who I heard the defensive staff is really high on. He could possibly step into Brock's role next year.

Actually now that I've researched the numbers, We seem to be in pretty good shape next year. And not to mention we have a ton of depth and a bevy of draft picks to play with. Goldson and Delaine are the only real core guys who hit the market and one of them, if not both will be re-signed. And Willis cap number drops from 17.5 all the way down to 3.5 mil in 2013. That's probably why they chose to franchise Goldson and wait on his long-term deal to hit the cap until 2013. Smart.....

What we do after the 2014 season will be quite interesting though. I'm sure some key players will be re-signed earlier but as of now, all these guys a UFA after the 2014 season...

Frank Gore
Alex Smith
Colin Kaepernick
Michael Crabtree
Aldon Smith
Anthony Davis
Mike Iupati
Chris Culliver
Kendall Hunter
Bruce Miller
Daniel Kilgore
CJ Spillman
Brian Jennings
Garrett Celek
McBath would be worth keeping for another off-season and pre-season to see what he can do but with Goldson (who must be re-signed), Whitner (who's a UFA in 2014), Spillman, Robinson and Thomas, there's not a lot of room for McBath. He's basically in a numbers game. Would love to keep Grant but dont see it happening. Hopefully, we can at least re-sign Gooden.

Another option would be to draft two OLB's early. One who's better at the run than the pass and the other being a pass rusher. I think that if we had a third pass rushing OLB, we would stay fresh. The reason Brooks/Smith arent doing as good as Haralson against the run is because we dont have anyone to sub in and give them a breather. Getting another legitimate pass rusher solves that problem. I can see Haralson staying in 2013 if he takes a paycut but I'll be shocked if we keep him at his current salary. It's just too much money to pay an aging backup coming off a season ending injury.

Williams will definitely be tendered. Brock too because isnt Thomas on the practice squad? We could always end up losing him and isnt he a safety? Brock is a CB. I would let Walker leave as an UFA but re-signing Goldson is a must.

You talk about our UFA's in 2015 but hmmm, you missed our UFA's in 2014 which include DE Justin Smith, SS Donte Whitner, K David Akers, C Jonathan Goodwin, WR Mario Manningham, CB Tarell Brown, ILB NaVorro Bowman, WR Kyle Williams, CB Perrish Cox and a few others.

Now.....do you guys see why I would have traded Walker, let Rogers leave and drafted Fleener instead of Jenkins. There's just too many players that MUST be re-signed which is why this coming off-season, I let a few players leave and release Smith, Haralson and Rogers. And the cap isnt expected to really increase until 2014 so we're in a tough situation.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Good cause they are all ********.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:15 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
That's fine. I'm not forcing you or anyone to read my posts.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dan, the Niners are very cap healthy. They can re-sign any/all of their own free agents that they want to keep. Paraag is a genius at writing contracts and the salary cap is going to increase each year. None of these impending free agents are going to be forced to leave because the team can't afford them. If Baalke wants the player, he has plenty of room to re-sign him.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:54 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
A better idea would be to draft two OLB's, one who's mainly good at stopping the run and the other rushing the passer.
You want to rotate 4 OLBs when the rotation is 2 now? Add both draft picks salaries and it'll be nearly what Haralson makes. OLB is a VERY difficult position to have success right away, especially in regards to being sound in the run-game. Haralson is cheap and is a stud for a backup. Many 3-4 teams would start Haralson.

Quote:
Haralson is also coming off an injury and by the time the regular season rolls around next year, it would be almost two years since he played in a game that meant something.
You're penalizing the offseason inactivity? If he returns week one 2013, he'd have missed 16 games. ONE season. The "almost two years" is a dramatic exaggeration.

Quote:
With other players who'll be UFA's in 2014 and 2015, I just dont see the point in wasting that amount of money on a backup when there are other cheaper younger and healthier options available as well as other players who are easily more important to re-sign.
You can go ahead and field a team of younger, cheaper players. I'll field a team of older, better players. I'm fine with that.

Bizarre attitude from you considering you always want to sign the aging former superstar during the offseason.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:51 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Yea Dan, don't ever become a GM. Your rationale on player's role makes little sense. You want to waive a proven commodity in Haralson because he makes roughly the equivalent of two rookies who may or may not be a better player than him? I can't understand your line of thinking here. Haralson contract is nothing to get him cut. Championship caliber trams need to have championship caliber depth. Haralson is part of that. And he's a key STs player as well.

And as for you stance on Haggans, who says Haggans doesn't play ST? He got signed here week 1. He has to learn our scheme and that includes the STs scheme as well. But he's been active every game for a reason. He'll see the field on STs soon enough. And no matter how you slice it, he's a better OLB than Bakhtiari at this point. Your talking about a 14 year vet versus a guy who has failed to make a NFL roster up until this point.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:54 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dam we better get drafting another QB to replace CK and Smith.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:58 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Dam we better get drafting another QB to replace CK and Smith.
Maybe trade for Tebow?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:17 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Dan, the Niners are very cap healthy. They can re-sign any/all of their own free agents that they want to keep. Paraag is a genius at writing contracts and the salary cap is going to increase each year. None of these impending free agents are going to be forced to leave because the team can't afford them. If Baalke wants the player, he has plenty of room to re-sign him.
I hope you're right but at the same time, it remains to be seen.

Quote:
Yea Dan, don't ever become a GM. Your rationale on player's role makes little sense. You want to waive a proven commodity in Haralson because he makes roughly the equivalent of two rookies who may or may not be a better player than him? I can't understand your line of thinking here. Haralson contract is nothing to get him cut. Championship caliber trams need to have championship caliber depth. Haralson is part of that. And he's a key STs player as well.

And as for you stance on Haggans, who says Haggans doesn't play ST? He got signed here week 1. He has to learn our scheme and that includes the STs scheme as well. But he's been active every game for a reason. He'll see the field on STs soon enough. And no matter how you slice it, he's a better OLB than Bakhtiari at this point. Your talking about a 14 year vet versus a guy who has failed to make a NFL roster up until this point.
I would release Haralson because of his age (29), salary (over $2.5m), the fact that he's no longer a starter and the fact that I dont see him coming back in 2014 when he's an UFA and 30 years old. Also, no one knows how he's going to play after missing so much time. People fail to realize that its not just the injury he has to heal from, its also the fact that he's going to have to get back into "football shape" which is easier said than done.

Haggans has only played in one out of four games this season which was the win against SEA. He hasnt played in any of the other three games and he was suspended for the other three. You can say that he's more valuable and better than Bakhtari but how can he be when he's doing the exact same thing, which is nothing? The only reason why I think he's even still on the team is to help the coaches with the Cardinals offense and especially defense. And granted, Bakhtari hasnt been able to make a roster but at the same time, no one has given him a fair chance. He looked good in pre-season where as I havent seen Haggans period. I would have kept Bakhtari over Haggans but to each his own.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:28 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
You want to rotate 4 OLBs when the rotation is 2 now? Add both draft picks salaries and it'll be nearly what Haralson makes. OLB is a VERY difficult position to have success right away, especially in regards to being sound in the run-game. Haralson is cheap and is a stud for a backup. Many 3-4 teams would start Haralson.

You're penalizing the offseason inactivity? If he returns week one 2013, he'd have missed 16 games. ONE season. The "almost two years" is a dramatic exaggeration.

You can go ahead and field a team of younger, cheaper players. I'll field a team of older, better players. I'm fine with that.

Bizarre attitude from you considering you always want to sign the aging former superstar during the offseason.
I never said that I would rotate in four OLB's. I said that I would sub in one or the other for Brooks or Smith when needed. Its mainly to keep Brooks and Smith fresh so they can be more effective rushing the passer. Adding another legitimate pass rusher would be a huge positive. Draft picks are cheap now compared to then. Only negative is the experience isnt there but salary, age, upside, potential, etc. is all in the rookies favor compared to Haralson. All he has is the experience but the rookies would in time get that too. Only way to get experience is by playing period. Many 3-4 teams would start Haralson but not us which says something in itself. It's funny how most of you guys wanted Haralson gone just two years ago but now you guys love him. The only reason he's getting all this love is because the team didnt do anything to replace him when he got hurt so obviously, it makes Haralson look better. If we actually had a third OLB who could come in and play half as good as Haralson, we wouldnt even be having this discussion.

I mean two years of playing in actual meaningful game. Off-season is important but you cant compare it to an actual game. Look at Manning. You had to wait to the actual games to see how he would play. Off-season isnt going to answer that question.

I'm not exactly fielding a team of younger cheaper players. Replacing ONE guy is an entire team of younger cheaper players? And that one guy isnt even a starter. He's a backup.

That was then and this is now. Before, when we sucked, I just wanted proven players with the hope that they would make an impact. Now, its the opposite. The only old player that I wanted was Owens/Moss for last year's playoff run. Other than them, its been two years since I wanted an old player which was probably Jason Taylor.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:39 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Dan your still not making any sense. Haralson torn his tricep. You act like he had microfracture surgery on his knee or torn his ACL. Those are the kinds of injury that require months of grueling rehab and could affect your mobility even after your healed. His injury is very common injury and one that guys recover from all the time and show no side effects. He has a entire off-season and TC to get in football shape, wtf is up with that excuse?

So you want to cut him because he's not a starter? So should we cut Manningham then because technically speaking, Crabs and Moss are the starters and Manningham makes more than Haralson so shouldn't he be cut as well? Haralson is like having a 3rd starter at OLB. I don't see anything wrong with him sticking around for that price and I don't Baalke will either UNLESS he drafts a cheaper alternative and that guy blows away the completion during OTAs and TC. Now that's a different animal. But Baalke won't outright cut him until he knows he has a viable replacement first. And what do you mean he's 29? Since when did turning 30 mean you couldn't play football anymore?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:45 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Dan your still not making any sense. Haralson torn his tricep. You act like he had microfracture surgery on his knee or torn his ACL. Those are the kinds of injury that require months of grueling rehab and could affect your mobility even after your healed. His injury is very common injury and one that guys recover from all the time and show no side effects. He has a entire off-season and TC to get in football shape, wtf is up with that excuse?

So you want to cut him because he's not a starter? So should we cut Manningham then because technically speaking, Crabs and Moss are the starters and Manningham makes more than Haralson so shouldn't he be cut as well? Haralson is like having a 3rd starter at OLB. I don't see anything wrong with him sticking around for that price and I don't Baalke will either UNLESS he drafts a cheaper alternative and that guy blows away the completion during OTAs and TC. Now that's a different animal. But Baalke won't outright cut him until he knows he has a viable replacement first. And what do you mean he's 29? Since when did turning 30 mean you couldn't play football anymore?
He'll be 29 in January and 30 when he becomes an UFA. Huge difference between a backup OLB and a WR like Manningham. Moss isnt even starting anymore. He barely plays. He's also a waste of a roster spot until proven otherwise. I just wouldnt waste the money on him when I could get cheaper younger players with a far bigger upside. Either way, we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:17 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Dan, simply combine your ideas...

You feel that Haralson has limited upside and will be gone in 2014. So, draft a high-upside guy to be the #4 to learn behind Smith, Brooks and Haralson. Then, when Haralson hits FA the new draftee can slide in.

Your original idea throws a rookie into the mix should Smith or Brooks miss a snap. No thank you!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:07 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does Dan actually believe the stupid **** that comes out of his mouth?
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Anyways, I have a question. If the 49ers were to actually face the Saints instead of the Cardinals this weekend in New Orleans, who do you think would be favored in the betting lines?

Quote:
Old 10-26-2012, 02:46 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Dan, simply combine your ideas...

You feel that Haralson has limited upside and will be gone in 2014. So, draft a high-upside guy to be the #4 to learn behind Smith, Brooks and Haralson. Then, when Haralson hits FA the new draftee can slide in.

Your original idea throws a rookie into the mix should Smith or Brooks miss a snap. No thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Does Dan actually believe the stupid **** that comes out of his mouth?
You guys do realize that a rookie just last year did exactly what im proposing right? You know him by the name Aldon Smith. Easy? No, but possible. Just have to draft the right guy and since you guys have 100% faith in Baalke and Harbaugh, thats definitely possible.