Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 05-10-2014, 07:38 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
I can't tell you how ESTATIC I am with our draft. Even with a RB picked with our first second round pick, it was the one RB I really liked along with Sankey so even that wasn't all bad. I don't think one can love a man as much as I love Trent Baalke. He's trolling the rest of the league so hard right now. EVERYONE wanted us and expected us to make a huge splash, trade up for all these known prospect with big names because our window was closing and Seattle is so young and we should be so desperate because we haven't been able to capatalize these last three years off of the great talent we have, and yadda yadda yadda. But Baalke has played this draft perfectly, addressing future needs and getting excellent value in the process. Martin was a great pick. Only 20 years old, his best days are in front of him but already a solid and versatile player. All I heard pre-draft was that Borland was the next London Fletcher. I'll take that kind of depth. Defintely a little bit of a reach there but itsTrent ******* Baalke, he could have drafted Elmo at ILB and I wouldnt rush to knock the pick. And Thomas would have likely been a first rounder if healthy. Possible replacement for Iupati nabbed for mere peanuts. Just an excellent, excelllent draft so far. Most pundits will slam it because of the lack of highly touted prospects but when the dust settles, ppl will recognize now savvy Baalke is at this whole drafting thing.
I'm hoping we at least get three impact players from this entire draft. I'm liking what Baalke has done so far, but we should all keep in mind that most draft choices don't pan out like we all want them too. It's rare that a team hits on most of their selections in a draft. One thing is for certain, Baalke can't afford another complete whiff like in 2012. Hopefully that isn't the case here. I feel strong about what we got even before day 3.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:05 AM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

so far this has been a solid draft. I am hoping for peirre desir-aaron murray/david fales/and d'anthony thomas
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:53 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I'm hoping we at least get three impact players from this entire draft. I'm liking what Baalke has done so far, but we should all keep in mind that most draft choices don't pan out like we all want them too. It's rare that a team hits on most of their selections in a draft. One thing is for certain, Baalke can't afford another complete whiff like in 2012. Hopefully that isn't the case here. I feel strong about what we got even before day 3.
The point is this isn't the 'sexy' draft every one expected, with a slew of CBs, pass-rushers, and WRs, early. But its the RIGHT draft. Baalke has continued to build this team, from inside-out. And he did it, getting great....actually excellent value along the way. Instead of trading up for ODB and giving away preciuos picks, he stuck to his guns and didn't overpay to move up. He then proceeds to grab Ellington in the 4th round, who's virtually a ODB clone. That's not a GM swinging for the fences, that's a man with a plan. And that's what you want on draft day. Even if some of these guys don't turn into superstar, just the way he worked this draft is just a fun to watch.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 05-10-2014 at 12:55 PM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:29 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
so far this has been a solid draft. I am hoping for peirre desir-aaron murray/david fales/and d'anthony thomas
Won't get DAT Chiefs took him.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:57 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

the highlight reels on the cb's selected are nuts. these guys look like steals~
Old 05-10-2014, 07:18 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Check out what was said about Kaleb Ramsey who has only played 16 games in 4 seasons...

“He’s truly a beast,” said Boston College defensive end Kasim Edbali. “With his physical strength, there’s nobody who can stop him. When he’s healthy he’s unstoppable.”

“He. Is. A. Monster,” Pierre-Louis told the surprised reporter.

The reporter asked why.

“He just excels,” Pierre-Louis said. “Him being a hundred percent healthy, he just kills everyone that’s in front of him. I’ve seen him do things to offensive linemen that you never see, I mean, literally throwing a guy in the air parallel to the ground. He’s an amazing athlete.

“He’s going to surprise people,” Pierre-Louis added. “He definitely is. Unfortunately he’s faced a little bit of injuries in his college career, which have put him under the radar, but in my own opinion he’s first-round talent.”
Old 05-10-2014, 10:52 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our entire draft. We turned 11 picks in 12 selections:

49ERS DRAFT
1. First round, No. 30: S Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois
2. Second round, No. 57: RB Carlos Hyde, Ohio State
3. Third round, No. 70: C Marcus Martin, USC
4. Third round, No. 77: ILB Chris Borland, Wisconsin
5. Third round, No. 100: G Brandon Thomas, Clemson
6. Fourth round, No. 106: WR Bruce Ellington, South Carolina
7. Fourth round, No. 129: CB Dontae Johnson, North Carolina State
8. Fifth round, No. 150: OLB Aaron Lynch, South Florida
9. Fifth round, No. 170: CB Keith Reaser, Florida Atlantic
10. Sixth round, No. 180: CB Kenneth Acker, SMU
11. Seventh round, No. 243: DE Kaleb Ramsey, Boston College
12. Seventh round, No. 245: FB Trey Millard, Oklahoma

UDFA signings thus far:

QB Kory Faulkner, Southern Illinois
LB Shayne Skov, Stanford
LB Morgan Breslin, USC
S L.J. McCray, Catawba
TE Asante Cleveland, Miami
C Dillon Farrell, New Mexico
OT Fou Fonoti, Michigan State

And we traded for WR Stevie Johnson.

Quote:
Old 05-11-2014, 12:30 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

QB Kory Faulkner who the frick? Really

I like the Shayne Skov, Stanford. But ok tho. I'm not super stoked about our draft i can live with it. I was still hoping we go after a real CB round 2 besides Ward and a WR instead of who picked. Overall a good draft.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

85, if you are bothered by a UDFA signing, you need to chill out.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was hoping I would find this highlight of Trey Millard so I could show you guys why he is my favorite day three draft pick. Absolutely dominated Texas every way that you could. If he is healthy he could be a big time contributor.

http://youtu.be/Rbv5aihfbrU
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:21 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Was hoping I would find this highlight of Trey Millard so I could show you guys why he is my favorite day three draft pick. Absolutely dominated Texas every way that you could. If he is healthy he could be a big time contributor.

http://youtu.be/Rbv5aihfbrU
Millard is taylor-made for the FB/H-Back role in this offense. He's a much more fluid athlete in space than Miller. And I'm not saying that to downgrade Bruce at all. He's come along way being a former Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year to one of the better FBs in the league. But Millard is used to having the ball in his hands and catching swing passes and turning upfield and being a threat as a runner. Miller isn't really a threat with the ball so its like watching paint dry, as they constantly spread him out wide and used him in that Delaine role. Now after a red-shirt year, we can look to Millard to be that guy.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:39 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks for the Millard clip. He can bring a lot to this offense when he's ready to go again.

A few things:

It's interesting to see Baalke work the draft to deal with cap issues a year or two ahead of time and keep the team from being forced into as many stopgap measures or from having to deal with agents from a position of weakness.

Our offense does not work without a running back that is ready to go. Gore has taken a beating in his career, and can't be at the top of his game week in and week out for an entire season anymore. I think everybody loves the guy for what he has done for the team in the good years and the bad years, but the team still has to be ready to move on at any time. Hyde, Lattimore and Hunter are a lot more insurance than most teams can claim for when their starter isn't able to do it any more.

Martin, Thomas, Hyde, Borland, and Millard are all top three or better at their position in this draft.

Bad play at the nickle loses games. Ward brings something huge to the table with his ability to take on that role and play multiple positions. Huge hits are being punished more and more and have cost this team over the past couple of seasons. While the big hits are good for setting tone, the league wants them gone and the team has to adapt. Ward's ability to create turnovers is sorely needed and should makeup for not being a thumper.

Our corners were served notice that there is going to be a fight to make the team and that the bosses are not comfortable with what they have seen.

Stevie is going to be motivated this year. He may not be a first or second option right away, but next season he could very well be the number one with Crabs looking for his payday and Q being another year older.

Excited about Ellington.

Stevie, Patton and Ellington have a lot of potential to make a very solid receiving core.
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabscuttle View Post

Martin, Thomas, Hyde, Borland, and Millard are all top three or better at their position in this draft.
Yes, arguably top 2 for each, and you can add Ward to this list, at S or nickel CB.

3 of these 12 draft picks will also likely red-shirt on IR again, with us essentially adding extra quality draft picks (with system experience and contracts tolling so they are the same amount of years) to next year's Draft in advance. Such a luxury to have a deep enough roster where they continue to do this; it's one of the things that will help keep the current Championship window open as long as possible.

I would have loved for them to add Aaron Colvin to the list of red-shirt players but they swung back around in the 5th and added Keith Reaser instead. Just brilliant.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As much as I'm excited about the draft class from last year and this year, the 2012 one took another hit today with the release of Darius Fleming, who never even played a game in 2 years due to injuries:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49er...ing-two-others

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 05-13-2014, 01:07 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've counted the 2012 draft as a failure since last TC, when we traded Jenkins, cut Robinson, traded Johnson, Fleming tore his ACL again, and James was mediocre at best in the preseason. I didn't think Fleming had a chance at making the roster anyways.

Hoping 2013 can provide some more impact this year; excited to see Carradine, Lemonier, Patton, and Lattimore on the field more often this year, and hopefully McDonald worked on his hands.

For 2014, the only lock for playing time IMO is Ward and maybe Borland if he beats out Wilhoite early on. I am excited to see Ellington as well though, we can get him involved in some gadget plays hopefully.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:54 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
I've counted the 2012 draft as a failure since last TC, when we traded Jenkins, cut Robinson, traded Johnson, Fleming tore his ACL again, and James was mediocre at best in the preseason. I didn't think Fleming had a chance at making the roster anyways.

Hoping 2013 can provide some more impact this year; excited to see Carradine, Lemonier, Patton, and Lattimore on the field more often this year, and hopefully McDonald worked on his hands.

For 2014, the only lock for playing time IMO is Ward and maybe Borland if he beats out Wilhoite early on. I am excited to see Ellington as well though, we can get him involved in some gadget plays hopefully.
2014 wise, im expecting Ward to play a lot as our slot corner but im hoping he beats out Bethea for the starting SS spot. I'll be so happy. Hyde will get some playing time. Wouldnt be surprised if Martin beats out Kilgore. Borland will start while Bowman is on PUP. Ellington will see time like Ginn did. More if/when we trade/release James.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:20 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post

I'd be shocked if Hyde doesn't get some playing time.

Quote:
Old 05-13-2014, 04:37 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is a highlight of Kory Faulkner that I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKATpQ_cd10 granted it is a highlight tape, but looks like he has a quick release, and decent mobility. Made some nice plays in this.

Shayne Skov still don't know how this guy was not drafted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frs1xW0Ytlo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQPQAhJdDGc

Morgan Breslin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZvClTGToZ4

LJ McCray https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EamCWmlCjBQ looks like a man among boys in this highlight.

Couldn't find any highlights of the rest of the class.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:19 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
2014 wise, im expecting Ward to play a lot as our slot corner but im hoping he beats out Bethea for the starting SS spot. I'll be so happy. Hyde will get some playing time. Wouldnt be surprised if Martin beats out Kilgore. Borland will start while Bowman is on PUP. Ellington will see time like Ginn did. More if/when we trade/release James.
Why would Ward beating out Bethea make you "so happy"? This is not the same as Reid beating out Dahl last year. Reid played at a big time school, in a best conference in college football. He was also physically, a man among boys in college. Ward, as much as I like him, is from a small school and is small in statue. Even though he is getting groomed slowly, starting out competeing at nickelback, he faces a much steeper climb in terms of talent level from college to pro than Reid. And Bethea is no Craig Dahl. He's a Pro-Bowler and is considered one of the better safeties in the entire league. But its a mute point anyways, as Baalke and JH have already states Ward will start out competing at nickelback, which I feel is absolutely the right way to go.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:56 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

The staff will probably take it slow with Ward. Wouldn't expect to see much of him in his first season. I think he definitely needs to pack on some more muscle.

Quote:
Old 05-13-2014, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
The staff will probably take it slow with Ward. Wouldn't expect to see much of him in his first season. I think he definitely needs to pack on some more muscle.
I don't expect to see him much at safety (barring injury) but I do think we'll see him covering the nickel slot often. How he shows in camp and plays will determine how much he sees action in that role.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:14 AM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

sf just signed qb josh johnson
Old 05-15-2014, 01:44 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Why would Ward beating out Bethea make you "so happy"? This is not the same as Reid beating out Dahl last year. Reid played at a big time school, in a best conference in college football. He was also physically, a man among boys in college. Ward, as much as I like him, is from a small school and is small in statue. Even though he is getting groomed slowly, starting out competeing at nickelback, he faces a much steeper climb in terms of talent level from college to pro than Reid. And Bethea is no Craig Dahl. He's a Pro-Bowler and is considered one of the better safeties in the entire league. But its a mute point anyways, as Baalke and JH have already states Ward will start out competing at nickelback, which I feel is absolutely the right way to go.
It would make me happy because I prefer to see an awesome young safety combination in Reid and Ward as opposed to seeing Bethea as a one or two year stopgap when that playing time and experience could go to Ward instead. Ward is listed at 5'11, 193 while Bethea is listed at 5'11, 206. That's not a major difference and im sure Ward could add 13 pounds quickly if he had to.

Bethea will be 30 in July and im sorry but I still see him as a waste of cap room, a roster spot and taking away playing time from Ward who could use the playing time that Bethea gets to gain knowledge and experience. I dont care what Bethea has done in the past and if he's so good, why did Indy let him leave despite all their cap room an average at best defense? I believe that Bethea will decline just like Rogers did and just like not starting Cox over Rogers in the NFCCG, not starting Ward over Bethea will be a mistake in my opinion.

You guys always think that rookies need to be groomed but they don't. Put them out there and let them play. That's the only way that they will get better. Granted, Ward may not take any reps at SS and if he doesn't, then so be it but if he does and outplays Bethea, I don't care that we just signed him two months ago, if Ward beats out Bethea in training camp and pre-season, then he should start at SS come week one.

What Baalke and Harbaugh say and what actually happens are two different things. Just have to wait and see.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just want to see the best players on the field. And if Ward plays better than Bethea in the preseason he will start. If Bethea plays better he plays. Its that simple and i really don't care if a player is 20 or 35 the better player should be on the field.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:19 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ward and Bethea will likely BOTH be on the field a great amount of time.