Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 08-02-2014, 07:36 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Ian Williams still injured? Will he be able to play this season?
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:01 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Is Ian Williams still injured? Will he be able to play this season?
His broken ankle was more serious than the Niners let on. Not only did he break the bone, he torn liagments as well. He's had one main surgery and two folllow up surgeries as well. I don't see him being ready for the start of the year. I think he'll start on IR with a designation to return, just like Bowman.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:20 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just assuming that a long player like Dial can play 0-Tech is quite a stretch. Yeah he's been looking great at DE and as a pocket collapser, but no one knows how he'll stand up against a good running attack.

Thankfully the true nose is only on the field 25% of the time because a #3 NT is a #3 NT for a reason.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:17 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Just assuming that a long player like Dial can play 0-Tech is quite a stretch. Yeah he's been looking great at DE and as a pocket collapser, but no one knows how he'll stand up against a good running attack.

Thankfully the true nose is only on the field 25% of the time because a #3 NT is a #3 NT for a reason.
Well the offical depth chart was released and he is the 2nd string NT. I understand the height angle but he is 314 lbs. Dorsey by comparsion is 296 lbs. He has gotten snaps at DE and NT according to TC reports and has looked beastly at both. And he's very strong. He played NT at Bama as well. If Nick Saban and Jim Tomsula trust him to man the nose, I won't question it. Our NT is not a gap-clogger, more penatrator anyway. I don't see a problem with Dial as the starter there. From what Ive been reading, he was having a better camp than Dorsey anyway. EVERY report I've read over the course of TC have all mentioned how Dial and Tank have been a man among boys. I don't think its just lip service, these guys have been impressing everyone who has watched them.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:54 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm hopeful and would be ecstatic if Dial is the real deal.

I'm just not going to always assume a guy who has barely taken snaps is going to step right in a perform better than a guy who was great the previous season.

Can he? Absolutely. Will he? He might.

Doesn't mean I should just casually brush off the fact that Glenn Dorsey is out for the year and Ian Williams may not ever be the same.

Praying Dial is a diamond.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:47 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'm just not going to always assume a guy who has barely taken snaps is going to step right in a perform better than a guy who was great the previous season.

Doesn't mean I should just casually brush off the fact that Glenn Dorsey is out for the year and Ian Williams may not ever be the same.

Well, at least this defense got by with Sopoaga. That is why I have faith in the coaches.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:13 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:

I wouldnt say Dorsey played great last year. He played better than most anticipated. We still got gashed between the A and B gaps far too often last year and some of that was because he wasn't particularly stout at the point of attack at times so there was defintely room for improvement. There was already talk about him not seeing as many snaps because of the emergence of guys like Dial, Tank, and TJE who is said to be having a awesome camp as well and how those guys figured to get more reps. My perspective is I don't think Dorsey was in our long-term plans anyway. So now, his injury forces Fangio to take a look at some younger players who may or may not have gotten an opportunity if Dorsey was healthy. Younger players I'm very high on. So from that perspective, I not too worried about losing Dorsey because I beleive the guys behind him have just as much, if not more talent. Remember, Dorsey only became a starter because of injury. To me, he is a back-up type of talent in this scheme. Not someone I ever felt overly confident with as a starter. That's probably why my outlook is hopefully optimistic comapred to others maybe.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 08-03-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Culliver kicked out of practice today after being unnecessarily rough with WR David Reed. This incident came after Harbaugh already told the defense no more cheap shots on the offense. Harbaugh was seen walking with Culliver with his arm around his shoulder speaking to him.

I know tempers flare up at TC, but Culliver needs to just do his job and stop ******* up. Reputation is already in the toilet.

Quote:
Old 08-03-2014, 05:13 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
I think he'll start on IR with a designation to return, just like Bowman.
Unless they changed it, you can only design one guy for IR to return. Maybe he goes on PUP but I'm not clear on the rules for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:59 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well.. We pick up L'Damian Washington. Interesting

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:44 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not gonna pretend like I followed LDamian Washington and everytime I watched mizzou, I only noticed DGB and Josey. I decided to switch on some cut ups from a few games of theirs last season (vs Texas A&M and vs Georgia). A few things stood out to me.

-He has gears. His speed seems to build as he goes. But when its at that last gear, he flat out flies.

-He does a pretty good job tracking the ball while defenders are bothering him in coverage.

-He's a willing blocker. Not on Jarvis Landry's level (as far this WR class went) but, he'll throw his hat in the mix when called upon.

-He's got really thin legs.

-Relies on his body to make catches

Old 08-03-2014, 07:27 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Mike Purcell got all 1st team reps at NT today.

1st team DL reps today...

DE - Tony Jerod-Eddie
NT - Mike Purcell
DE - Demarcus Dobbs

2nd team reps...

DE - Tank Carradine
NT - Quinton Dial
DE - Lawrence Okoye
Old 08-03-2014, 08:13 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

A lot ppl including myself wanted us to take a flier on Washington late in the draft so I'm pretty happy to see we claimed him. But I really don't see him making the team at this point. He was a more raw prospect and is probably a couple of seasons away from being able to compete for a roster spot. Hopefullly he sticks on the PS and we have a chance to develop him.

As for Baldwin, I knew it was just a matter of time. One of the reports from training camp noted how Baldwin lacked intensity. That he has all the tools but he doesn't go all out, every snap, every play and that is a far contrast to a guy like Jimmie Ward who is uber intense and competitive. Same thing that plagued him in KC to a degree. If he ever gets his head on straight, he could be a very good player.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:54 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
As for Baldwin, I knew it was just a matter of time. One of the reports from training camp noted how Baldwin lacked intensity. That he has all the tools but he doesn't go all out, every snap, every play and that is a far contrast to a guy like Jimmie Ward who is uber intense and competitive. Same thing that plagued him in KC to a degree. If he ever gets his head on straight, he could be a very good player.
I'm a huge Pitt homer and I can say many of those things were said of Baldwin since his days at Aliquippa. Truly sad because he had the world at his feet and it appears as though he's squandered it.

He's a true freak but doesn't appear to have the drive to get it done.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Baldwin, like Jenkins, was just a waste of time. Glad he's gone. Don't know what people ever saw in him. KC bailed for a reason.

Quote:
Old 08-07-2014, 01:47 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why isn't Just Smith getting reps ?
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:31 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Why isn't Just Smith getting reps ?
Slight injury/veteran/saving him for the season.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:05 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Just read a report that Aldon could be facing a 6-8 game ban this season. I hope this is the last of his issues.. I said the same last season lol Corey Lemonier time

Old 08-08-2014, 09:31 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great to see some actual NFL action last night! It doesn't look as though anyone is overreacting to a preseason loss in which Kap threw and completed one pass and many other of the best players on the team (Willis, Gore, J. Smith) didn't even play. Finally, we've learned!

Some quick observations:
- Hyde and Ellington both look like steals.
- Borland is not a superstar but will be a decent fill-in for Bowman.
- Josh Johnson looks like he should be the #3 QB should they keep 3 on the 53.
- Our CB's and Jimmy Ward in the slot, despite not having 'big names,' should be better than what the critics are saying about the group.

I didn't get to observe the O-Line as much as I wanted to. Anyone have feedback on what they saw?

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:25 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tell me again why we traded for Gabbert ? And we he is still in the league and Tebow is not.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:27 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Tell me again why we traded for Gabbert ? And we he is still in the league and Tebow is not.
Please tell me again if you've actually seen Tebow throw a football

:P
Old 08-08-2014, 12:38 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've seen Tebow throw a football. I still laugh about it.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:37 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Blaine Gabbert (#2 QB), Jonathan Martin (Swing OT), Joe Looney (RG), Mike Purcell (NT). These are the guys/positions i'm worried about.

We could fix these by getting Boone back (both swing OT and RG), making Dial the #1 NT, and Johnson the #2 QB. Perhaps not permanent fixes, but better than what was out there last night.

On the positive side, Hyde, Ellington, McDonald, Carradine (as a pass rusher), Dial, and Cook all did very well. Patton could have done well if Gabbert could throw a football accurately.

Ward and Borland both had some hits and misses last night. Should get better with experience.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:38 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tebow and Gabbert both suck. Period.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:41 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Would much rather have Josh Johnson as our backup QB as I have zero confidence in Gabbert but his guaranteed contract will earn him a roster spot. On the positive side, in six months from now, Gabbert will be gone and we'll trade another fourth year QB who's been a disappointment with their former team. I don't know about anyone else but im so excited to see who that will be. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. LOL.