Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-02-2009, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He will be really average in our offense unless we tweak it to his strengths.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:03 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the real question is...

How much better or worse is Kurt Warner as QB than Shaun Hill? and

Is it worth the 2 year deal to hurt the Cardinals?

The 22' Land Rover Limo is reportedly at 4949 awaiting Kurt Warner, as we speak.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:38 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I think the real question is...

How much better or worse is Kurt Warner as QB than Shaun Hill? and

Is it worth the 2 year deal to hurt the Cardinals?

The 22' Land Rover Limo is reportedly at 4949 awaiting Kurt Warner, as we speak.
Shaun vs. Kurt? I think Kurt Warner is better than Shaun Hill. From an ability standpoint and an experience standpoint. I know he's 38, but in my opinion Kurt Warner has an edge over Shaun Hill.

Is it worth the 2 year deal to hurt the Cardinals? I say Yes. We are in a position right now where we have been able to really take care of our own guys. So it's not as if Kurt is stealing from business we should be attending to (like in AZ where they have plenty to worry about in-house) in our own locker room. And yes, speeding up the process of the Cardinals falling from grace is an absolute added bonus.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:47 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can I , because of this, assume that you're not against Warner being signed by San Francisco?

I tend to agree with you on both accounts.

The way I look at it... if Warner struggles terribly or gets injured, the 49ers still have Shaun Hill/Alex Smith/Draft Pick. Which, obviously is what they have without the signing.

That's worse case scenario and the contract would be the cost of hurting the Cardinals badly.

This might sound like a ridiculous concept but I find it "figuratively" worth $10 Million just to have Kurt Warner NOT on the Cardinals. Not only does it hurt them at the QB position but it could significantly lower the production of Fitzgerald and Boldin.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:53 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Can I , because of this, assume that you're not against Warner being signed by San Francisco?

I tend to agree with you on both accounts.

The way I look at it... if Warner struggles terribly or gets injured, the 49ers still have Shaun Hill/Alex Smith/Draft Pick. Which, obviously is what they have without the signing.

That's worse case scenario and the contract would be the cost of hurting the Cardinals badly.

This might sound like a ridiculous concept but I find it "figuratively" worth $10 Million just to have Kurt Warner NOT on the Cardinals. Not only does it hurt them at the QB position but it could significantly lower the production of Fitzgerald and Boldin.
I will say it. I am not against the 49ers signing Kurt Warner. I will not buy his jersey, nor will he be my favorite player, i'm just not against it. If we do, I think it's an improvement at a position, and it gives Alex someone who he can pick his brain. I'm perfectly fine with that.

As far as it being worth 10 million or so to have Warner NOT with the Cardinals, I see where some would say that's ridiculous, but I don't think it's that far fetched.

Here's another thing to consider. As unhappy as Anquan is in AZ, do you think he comes back - making less than what he feels he deserves - so he can catch balls from Matt Leinart? I'm not so sure he does.

So in Theory, AZ could lose Warner and Boldin because of...us :). Okay, that's a reach, but if you let it simmer a bit it makes sense.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We can no longer haz Mark Sanchezzz? I'm crushed ;)

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:20 PM    (permalink
mac25fan
Rookie

mac25fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I definitely have mixed feelings about signing Kurt Warner. On one hand it does take away from the Cardinals and I do see value in that.

Kurt's stats and value were inflated with the athleticism of Fitz and Boldin. Just throw the ball up and they'll come down with it. I'm also not convinced that Hill or Smith will be the answer at quarterback, but I am one of the few that is still hopeful on Smith. Part of me would hate to see another factor come in to slow the (already slower than molasses) process of Smith becoming a viable starter.

If we could somehow infuse Warner's ability to make quick and accurate reads/throws into Alex Smith, we would have an ideal quarterback for years to come and not just an expensive quarterback who may or may not have a couple of productive years left.
mac25fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:33 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

Some good stuff from Sando, highlighting this whole Warner situation and how real it is.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcwest

From reading that, the AZ offer was received as a slap in the face.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:40 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it is ridiculous to NOT want Warner. No matter where he goes, he will be awesome.

I believe if we sign him, we become an automatic contender.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:56 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
I think it is ridiculous to NOT want Warner. No matter where he goes, he will be awesome.

I don't know about all of that. Warner does not solve every problem we're facing, but yes he would be part of the solution.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even if all it does is make AZ pay more and creates tension between AZ and Warner, that's smart buisness. It isnt like the organization can't afford to make Warner's visit to San Francisco feel swank and what not, so why not spend some cash to hurt another team?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:49 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post

I wouldn't go that far, not by a long shot.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we sign Warner, it looks like a "win now" atmosphere. That being said, we need a pass rusher and another "old timer" Jason Taylor, was just released by the Redskins. Anyone interested in him? He is just shorty removed from Defensive Player of the Year honors and has extensive knowledge and had success in the 3-4 as a pass rushing OLB.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:31 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
If we sign Warner, it looks like a "win now" atmosphere. That being said, we need a pass rusher and another "old timer" Jason Taylor, was just released by the Redskins. Anyone interested in him? He is just shorty removed from Defensive Player of the Year honors and has extensive knowledge and had success in the 3-4 as a pass rushing OLB.
Prima-donna, we can do better. Though we might be able to attract him if we let him live in Hollywood...
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Prima-donna that recently led the NFL in sacks?

I don't care if he likes to shave his arms or if he likes to drink cosmos, so long as he can put some QBs on their a**es!

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 03-02-2009, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not overly excited about Jason Taylor I think he will go to the Bucs. If Warner is not playing for the Cardinals then it's a good signing as far as i'm concerned. If Singletary does open up the offense for Warner if we sign him then I am all for it.

Last edited by Menardo75 : 03-02-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:59 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Prima-donna that recently led the NFL in sacks?

I don't care if he likes to shave his arms or if he likes to drink cosmos, so long as he can put some QBs on their a**es!
I don't think he can anymore. I think he has lost his passion for the game.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:32 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Well he did just that a grand total of 3 1/2 times last season.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:38 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

Quote:
Well he did just that a grand total of 3 1/2 times last season.
Yeah i'm not diggin' the Jason Taylor business.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:03 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post
Yeah i'm not diggin' the Jason Taylor business.
If he showed that he was still tremendously passionate about football I might think differently but at this point all signs point to him being more concerned about his career after football. That is absolutely without a doubt his right, but it won't win me over as a potential buyer. The fact that he never showed an interest for regaining the weight he lost on Dancing With the Stars, and refused to be involved in the Redskins offseason workouts simply cements my persoanl belief on it. I very well could be wrong, but he wouldn't be a risk I'd be willing to take at this point in his career.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:09 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would prefer if we didnt sign players over the age of 30 but that's just me.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

I wasn't necessarily diggin Taylor either, but it's worth bringing up as there really aren't many pass rushers on the market and we all agree the Niners need more of pass rush.

I bet he goes to San Diego so he can model during the bye week.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:22 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still hoping we bring Marques Douglas. Before last year he had a 5 year stretch (2003-2007) as one of the best 3-4 DEs in the league.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
I'm still hoping we bring Marques Douglas. Before last year he had a 5 year stretch (2003-2007) as one of the best 3-4 DEs in the league.
Wouldn't be totally opposed to it. The only reason we didn't bring him back was because he wanted an ass load of money.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:30 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Word is, from a good source (nothing official) is that he wants to come back to San fran. I've been told this because my source (a 49er webmaster) has been granted an interview with him. No indications on interest from the 49ers however, or how close they would be money wise with Douglass.